SALE - Up to 70% Off - Shop Now
June 15, 2012 @ 08:55 AM
chief

its definitely the same kinda goo. i think they made the go start coming "alive" when the humans changed the "atmosphere" in the room both to illustrate the goo was alive and for the visuals of it leaking out of the vases

•••

June 16, 2012 @ 01:18 AM
drewblocka

So i rewatched it and took down random notes lol. address them as such

The opening scene must have taken place on earth. The scene after was on earth, and it showed a ship that was maybe dropping him off. This I think was Prometheus giving life to the humans.

Transmission is already down in the beginning of the movie so nobody ever really hears their messages or anything.

it was offered to the other people of the crew to make money

David has spent two years studying the crew in depth.

I feel like david has weylands memorys, and this is why he feels and likes things

holloway is an impulsive and illogical man, he is the reason why the whole mission went wrong. The moment they land, he tells them to land here. He wants to go out immediately, and he starts drinking and he believes the mission is ruined

he starts by making the first quip at david, and david starts to use his knowledge of holloway to manipulate him

the captain was right, the terraforming dome was to contain their experiments, but one got loose and they all got killed by it. maybe the big circle thing was a moat protecting them from other things coming in

the worms actually caused the problems with the goo

david learns they are mortal when the head explodes and he starts to find answers himself and making his own experiments, like the goo and holloway.

she was in the room before holloway came in and she said there was some sort of outbreak, which i think makes sense.

david knows she is infertile which is why he used the goo in holloway

they were looking for earth, maybe they wanted to find out where the original engineer made life at and they found it was on earth?

the prometheus(ship) in turn created life on another planet

Forum Administrator • @DREWKKAKE

June 17, 2012 @ 09:32 PM
itsyababyboyzilla

http://badassdigest.com/2012/06/08/sam-strange-remembers-prometheus/

tbh this sums up my [mixed] feelings about the film
June 18, 2012 @ 01:19 AM
THiZZ

I have a theory about the goo. Did anyone else catch the convo they were having when they were coming through the atmosphere. They said something to the effect of the gases and whatnot being similar to being in an exhaust etc etc. and then when they first find the hole with the water falling through they discover that there is absolutely no CO2 in the air. So that got me thinking cause when they walked into the room with all the vase/vials of goo. That's when the reaction happened to the goo and it would also explain why the engineers where wearing helmets as well considering when they awoke the engineer he was breathing just fine without a helmet much like the scientist. Which would only mean on thing and that is the goo was set as a defense mechanism and it reacts/activates when it comes in contact with CO2 to keep people from reaching the main deck in a sense which David was able to reach. And it would also explain why the engineer reacted the way he did and caused him to hurry to destroy Earth because he figured that the humans had found their planet where they were storing their weapons that they planned to use. I don't think they initially wanted to destroy earth i think David had it wrong when he interrupted it but who knows i'm sure the sequel will explain more about that...
June 18, 2012 @ 01:40 AM
Panther.

Holy fuck. I watched the movie and I was fine. You guys made me even more confused than I already was

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Florida State Seminole

June 18, 2012 @ 06:16 AM
The Chosen One

suspended

lol at the first few people in this thread that didnt like the movie. they obviously cant appreciate the art of cinema or science fiction.

i bet they thought the avengers was better than this movie.
June 18, 2012 @ 06:33 AM
Pantic

lmao art of cinema. Talking like this movie was some master piece.
I was one of them and yeah, movie wasn't that bad tbh. It was just the expectations i had didn't match up to the movie at all, i expected alien type horror and there was none. I know it's not directly related but i think alot of people did the same. It's hard to live up to a "classic" and this movie didn't really do it for me in that aspect.
June 18, 2012 @ 07:05 AM
The Chosen One

suspended

yeah thats a fair response. thats what happens when theres excessive hype. there a lot more room for disappointment.
June 18, 2012 @ 05:47 PM
Trollinator

So I rewatched this again and took a few notes.

This is off topic but in the beginning when the found the first engineer. They stuck something into it's head to find out how long it had been dead. Shaw said it had be dead for about 2500 or so. Isn't this the year when Jesus was on earth(maybe created by the engineers). They saw that humans crucified their creation and saw that they weren't getting along well so they wanted to destroy us.
2. When David unlocks the door to get to the other side where the vases are, Dr. Holloway makes a foot print and you see 2 tiny worms. Well this worm came in contact with the goo and created this little regenerating snake.
3. I see that when the goo comes with any life contact it creates something characterized by the host.
Holloway was always a dick, just got super sick and was about to blown up before they fried him.
Worms always get stepped on or get split in half so after they transformed it was unstoppable.
engineers drinks it with peace of mind that he is giving his life to create new life so his body just melts.

The Mohawk guys never wanted to be a part of this mission and always pissed of. So when he tried to cut the regenerating snake, acid melted his helmet and his face, thus being mad it's when he was able to come back and kill the other crew member.

(this I don't understand, Mohawk guy never came in contact with the goo but when he came back to the ship all crippled and scary looking he wasn't seeking help. He was seeking revenge, so either the acid effected him or he came back with anger to kill them)

Oh and the statue of the engineer when the open the door(big peace head) as you can see his eyes are closed meaning they always sacrifice a engineer and they always must be at peace to do this.

4. There is a scene where the Mohawk guy and glasses dude find a bunch of the engineers all stacked up on a wall.
One of them says that something came out of the engineers stomach. Something was created inside there maybe an alien. It would make sense why they were all running away.

This scene made no sense to me. Because they seem that they worship these aliens. But them again this alien looks like it's crucified. We never got to see what that green rock when Dr. Holloway was shining the light on it.

At the end of the film where all of them see the engineer.

The engineer wakes up and see his creations had found him. He then sees David and realizes that His creations(humans) tried to create(robot) or at least try to make a human, but it had no heartbeat or a soul and was highly disappointed. It's why he was pissed, and broke his head. He then slaps the old man(Weyland) because the engineer saw that he didn't appreciate the live he had been given.

When David was a freeman with his head chopped up, and Shaw was crying on the ground he mentions that without him she will never leave the planet. David mentions that there are other ships. When Shaw asked him if he could take them where the engineers came from to took a second and paused, he said yes. David KNOWS but doesn't say anything because he has no feeling and is completely confused.

That's all of my notes.

I want to see the world burn

June 18, 2012 @ 06:00 PM
Trollinator

Apprently this was one of the cut out scenes that will be on the DVD
These are known as Elder Engineers and was suppose to be a part of the opening scene.

source
http://www.prometheusforum.net/discussion/2118/first-look-at-the-elder-engineer-update-new-pic-shows-9-engineers

June 18, 2012 @ 07:08 PM
drewblocka

that makes so much more sense. so that is them on earth giving life i suppose.

also, these engineers have no gills, it seemed the one we see in the end has gills on his neck

June 18, 2012 @ 09:11 PM
Trollinator

??????

What makes sense?

June 19, 2012 @ 05:47 PM
drewblocka

it seems like this is the scene before the single engineer drinks the black shit and falls into the waterfall

June 20, 2012 @ 01:38 AM
Silver Price

did anyone ever think about theyre armor/suits or whatever? and theyre design? when they brought the head back they say they think its an exoskeleton, and you dont realize its a helmet until they take it off. the design of their armor got me thinking, maybe theres a reason behind it. maybe not, but every part of this movie makes me think

floral fam man til the death - floral family man til the death - i know lorraine on a personal level

June 20, 2012 @ 02:09 AM
mowgli

I sat back for a while, time to join this shit. been obsessing about this movie since i watched it opening night.
to fvckswvg: i think it's simply the fact that (like stringer bell said) its a military installation. Therefore, its just a military type uniform.

edit: lol at the thought of drew in a dark theatre with a notepad and pen jotting shit down.
June 20, 2012 @ 09:07 AM
drewblocka

haha i was using the notepad on my ipone.

June 25, 2012 @ 01:34 AM
NZOO

Why were humans created and why did they want to destroy earth?

That's all I need to know.

Don't badmind me.

June 25, 2012 @ 03:22 AM
Trollinator

I think you need to read like the last two pages sir.

June 25, 2012 @ 04:03 AM
Samrai

i might as well cause more shit read this

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt ≈ @NegronusPrime ≈ twitter

June 25, 2012 @ 05:46 AM
NZOO

Everyone seems to have their analysis, but might as well wait until dvd is out..

Don't badmind me.

June 25, 2012 @ 05:47 AM
Trollinator

^from there

AFatDarthVader

My analysis of the slime:

The black slime is meant to deconstruct DNA. It takes it apart in order to create opportunities for new life. When it breaks DNA, that DNA can take on new forms (that's important). The first Engineer seen drinks the slime in order to spread his DNA throughout the planet, and be a gardener of life. Once the DNA is spread, it begins to form new life in a rapidly adapting state. Those forms are able to adapt so rapidly to ensure the successful spread of life, and can do so in the same way shown in the beginning of the movie.

The black slime kept in containers on LV-223 is a "weaponized" form of the slime; a quantity large enough to destroy a world's worth of DNA. It is used to erase creations that go awry. It is launched at a world and destroys all of the DNA contained on that world.

Holloway, upon infection, begins to break apart as the Engineer did, albeit slowly due to the tiny dose. As his DNA breaks down, he spreads it via insemination to Shaw. The broken-down DNA begins to rapidly adapt to its environment -- Shaw's womb.

This is why the slime reacts differently to different "host DNA". It is simply disassembled DNA being reconstructed. The mealworms become extremely strong snake-like creatures; Fifield doesn't ingest it, but its contact with him changes him drastically.

The slime that occupies Shaw's womb is simply the progenitor to the Xenomorph. The lifeform that is created by the slime's reaction with Holloway's DNA is one that is near the pinnacle of life's many forms -- in Bishop's words, "The perfect organism." It is a form that can reproduce using a host to evolve rapidly, absorbing traits in the host DNA.

TL;DR: the slime deconstructs DNA so it can reconstruct new lifeforms, and Shaw is impregnated with the result of one of these breakdowns. This resulting lifeform is the progenitor of the Xenomorph.

My analysis of why the Engineers had meant to destroy Earth's life and how it led to the events in Prometheus:

The Engineers spread and monitored life. They wished to spread life, for whatever reason. Once that life was spread, they watched the lifeform and attempted to guide their development.

On Earth, an Engineer sacrificed himself to sow his DNA as a seed throughout the "gardens" of the galaxies. This DNA eventually took the form of humans.

Throughout our development, they visited Earth to guide us. On those visits, they directed primitive man to a solar system where we might contact the Engineers.

In that solar system, the Engineers terraformed a moon for us to travel to. Once there, we might contact them.

Around 2000 years ago, human civilization became much less civilized. Ridley Scott chose not to use the crucifixion of Jesus as the catalyst, but something more like the rise of Rome and other empires/violent civilizations like it spurred the Engineers to decide that we were not fit to exist any longer. The human experiment was to be terminated -- the garden had too many weeds.

To eliminate us, they created a biological weapon using the DNA-destroying black slime that they used for gardening. They created this stockpile on a forward base as they knew it was dangerous and even threatened them as a species. They used the planet they had directed us to; I think this was because that base was the one assigned to monitor Earth and humankind.

They planned to drop this stockpile onto Earth to destroy mankind, but allow life to continue. The garden would be uprooted and new seeds would be sown.

Something triggered the stockpile -- perhaps something happened to an Engineer in the manufacturing process. Remember, all of the hologram Engineers were running out of the stockpile room. At the entrance to that room were multiple suits. I think that, upon entering the room, they would don their suits to avoid exposure to the slime. Something triggered the stockpile to rupture or overwhelm their suits.

The rupture caused the Engineers to run. None of them were able to escape the slime. As shown in the hologram, one made it fairly far away, but died. When he died, he collapsed onto the ground. When Shaw removed his helmet, it was clear that he had the DNA-destroying slime in his veins.

The lone surviving Engineer lived because he was in cryostasis. He was in that state in preparation for the journey to Earth. The stockpile ruptured as they made preparations to leave. Hence the Engineers running from the ship in full flight gear.

When Weyland wakes the Engineer, he awakens to find the creation he had set out to destroy. That creation asks him to preserve his already unnaturally long life. It was this hubris that had necessitated humanity's destruction, so he tries to complete his mission.

He first looks and smiles at David, seems to caress him, and then destroys him. I believe this is because he recognized David as humanity's feeble attempt to create life -- they could only manage an imitation. This seems almost touching to the Engineer. The apple, it would seem, does not fall far from the tree; humanity unwittingly followed in the Engineers' footsteps.

The Engineer kills the present crew and begins to set out for Earth. Not only was his mission 2000 years delayed, but the problem had compounded itself immensely. Not only had humans become self-centered and full of hubris, but they had actually sought out their creators to ask them for more than the life they had been given.

TL;DR: mankind was created as an experiment, but humanity became prideful and undeserving of the life they had been granted. The Engineers developed a weaponized form of their DNA-seeding material, and meant to use it to "reseed" Earth. In their effort, something went wrong and they were themselves affected by the weapon.

EDIT: Upon further investigation, I think this picture is extremely important. It depicts the Xenomorph's life cycle, from H.R. Giger. It seems to depict Engineers, in their exosuits, overseeing the birth of a facehugger and its subsequent infection of an Engineer as a host.

They may not be overseeing the birth cycle; instead, they might be happening upon the Xenomorph and recording the life cycle as they encountered it.

Either way, it proves that the Engineers had contact with the Xenomorph prior to the events in Prometheus. They knew about it and how it was born. I think the mural was made as a warning to anyone who encountered the Xenomorph, which was one of the clear and present dangers when the black slime was involved.

here is the pic

June 25, 2012 @ 06:47 AM
DennisTheMenace

^That was an excellent analysis
June 25, 2012 @ 07:07 AM
Juki

^ nice try but that analysis contradicts itself on so many levels. But the prometheus story had so many holes almost anything is possible.

Doubleclutchhoops.com

June 25, 2012 @ 07:35 AM
tinez24

suspended

the movie was whack imo.
June 25, 2012 @ 07:36 AM
Trollinator

you prolly enjoyed the avengers more huh?

June 25, 2012 @ 12:29 PM
itsyababyboyzilla

^ YES, YES I DID
June 26, 2012 @ 03:35 PM
Jay_Bird

i think you are all dumb bastards

thats trying to take life lessons out of a fictional movie

boy tv does really rot the fucking brain
June 26, 2012 @ 10:10 PM
tinez24

suspended

i didnt even watch the avengers.
June 27, 2012 @ 04:18 AM
drewblocka

lol you guys are lame. never watch a sci fi movie again

June 29, 2012 @ 01:05 AM
ak

i think you are all dumb bastards

thats trying to take life lessons out of a fictional movie

boy tv does really rot the fucking brain

lmfaooo, you can say the same thing about moby dick and other fictional stories..

Please login first to reply.