Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
June 13, 2012 @ 10:18 AM
itsyababyboyzilla

do you think any of this stuff matters if, like me, you had to read what other people thought about it to be able to comprehend it? i mean, i'll definitely see it again at some point, but i spent so much effort trying to understand what was happening plot-wise that i didn't get any of this metaphorical subtext type shit while i was watching. maybe the internet has ruined moviegoing? in an ideal world i would have caught this stuff on a rewatch, but now i just feel dumb like i'll never know if i would've "gotten it" without other people to tell me.
June 13, 2012 @ 02:22 PM
lalala

do you think any of this stuff matters if, like me, you had to read what other people thought about it to be able to comprehend it? i mean, i'll definitely see it again at some point, but i spent so much effort trying to understand what was happening plot-wise that i didn't get any of this metaphorical subtext type shit while i was watching. maybe the internet has ruined moviegoing? in an ideal world i would have caught this stuff on a rewatch, but now i just feel dumb like i'll never know if i would've "gotten it" without other people to tell me.

this is the best point against everyone who's like JUST USE UR IMAGINATION BRO ARE U STUPID???

the internet is only partially to blame though, just because it seems like they expected you to go through all of the viral content before even watching it.

to be fair, you probably aren't dumb because there really isn't that much to get. that one popular theory article is way overanalyzed.

x

June 13, 2012 @ 04:56 PM

Inactive

I think the internet is forcing movies to become more "surprising" or "secretive". Years ago there was no such thing as spoiler alerts unless you were talking to someone in person about a movie. The only discussions about movies happened in person.

With the the rapid rate that information is exchanged these days good movies gotta keep details under wraps or create a movie that's going to spark different theories. The discussions you have after watching a good movie is sometimes better than the actual movie. Inception keeps getting brought up, but it's that fucking good and without the internet a lot of the details I would never have caught were revealed.

Plus... It's a fuckin drag when you see something awesome and none of your friends have seen it. You want to immediately talk to people about it and the internet allows that.
June 13, 2012 @ 05:00 PM

Inactive

this is the best point against everyone who's like JUST USE UR IMAGINATION BRO ARE U STUPID???

the internet is only partially to blame though, just because it seems like they expected you to go through all of the viral content before even watching it.

to be fair, you probably aren't dumb because there really isn't that much to get. that one popular theory article is way overanalyzed.

I honestly think all you needed, at the bare minimum to enjoy this movie was...

- Know the story of Prometheus, which honestly not everyone is gonna know, but this is something you learned in junior high school.
- Know of Ridley Scott and the Alien(s) films

After that the more you know makes it that much more enjoyable. I do agree though... I totally dislike having to dig through viral shit or interviews to get answers. I wish movies either spoke for themselves or directors kept their mouths shut and let the audience come to its own conclusion. Much like Inception. The worst thing Nolan could do is step up and give an official response on what happened in Inception. That would ruin the whole movie.
June 13, 2012 @ 05:05 PM
YungBrooklyn

The difference between Inception and this is that in Inception only the last part left viewers with an open end but in Prometheus there are huge gaps and plot theories in the movie that we have to fill in ourselves with little help from the movie itself. Thats why Im starting to dislike the movie a bit, even though overall I still enjoyed it. But im not really going to come to a decision until I watch it at least one more time whenever its up online or out on dvd.
June 13, 2012 @ 05:10 PM

Inactive

The difference between Inception and this is that in Inception only the last part left viewers with an open end but in Prometheus there are huge gaps and plot theories in the movie that we have to fill in ourselves with little help from the movie itself. Thats why Im starting to dislike the movie a bit, even though overall I still enjoyed it. But im not really going to come to a decision until I watch it at least one more time whenever its up online or out on dvd.

Not at all. Inception as a WHOLE could be explained in numerous theories which are all viable not just the ending. The ending is actually not as big as people think. Which is why it's such a good film... But not more Inception talk.

I think Prometheus is definitely a movie people should watch more than once and even take a lazy weekend and watch the Alien movies too.
June 13, 2012 @ 05:48 PM
Jay_Bird

clearly you didn't watch the first alien movie if you don't know what the black goo is

Smh......
June 13, 2012 @ 06:51 PM
w)entandrew

lol they didn't show any black goo in alien, i just rewatched it last night.

but are we even sure the engineers are dead? they were at ONE station on one of the planets in the solar system. in chronological order, the xenomorph had to have been created, then it walked out of the ship and somehow left the planet with another engineer ship, and impregnated it and that is the engineer we see with his chest open.

but this movie is just over the heads of regular movie goers. A LOT of people don't understand shit unless it is fucking stated to them. most people like movies that they can watch and keep up with, not sit there and think and be confused.

Forum Administrator • @HOYITSDREW

June 13, 2012 @ 07:01 PM

Inactive

^ Word. I highly doubt that the Engineers are all dead. However, they may be waging a war against the Xenomorphs though. All the indications we have regarding Xenomorphs from the movie seem to point to the fact Xenomorphs have been around for a LONG time, Engineers know of them (massive sculpture, murals), and they're regarded as "evil" or bringers of death.

It could be possible that the Xenomorphs were created by the Engineers just as humans were created. We need to assume that Earth is not the only "test planet" out there. So the Engineers could have created Xenomorphs on a different planet, had it go completely wrong, and the Xenomorphs turned on the Engineers. Since we know Xenomorphs reproduce and grow at such a rapid rate Engineers may have been overwhelmed.

Meanwhile on Earth humans are growing and developing. Initially the Engineers sent us an invitation, but maybe they're learning from past mistakes with the Xenomorphs and their plan now is to destroy what they created before Humans become the next dangerous threat. I think an underlying theme is the evil of man once power or technology is acquired (going back to the story of Prometheus and fire).
June 13, 2012 @ 07:44 PM

Inactive

It could be possible that the Xenomorphs were created by the Engineers just as humans were created.

i thought that the point of showing the xenomorph at the end was to not only show how they came to existance, but that the xenomorphs actually came from humans. goo infected holloway, shaw has infected alien baby, engineer gets eaten by alien baby which turns into what looks like a giant octopus (or maybe a variation of the facehuggersconfused and then out of the engineer comes the xenomorph. then again, the mural on the wall you see what looks like the bigass mom xenomorph from the alien movies confuses me because then how would they know about the aliens? i think somehow it all goes back to the black goo

We see the Xenomorph in the mural and sculpture in the urn room. We also get a hint when they state that one of the Engineers chests looks like it exploded. So one of the questions is... How old are Xenomorphs and what is the origin. Were they a natural species that's being bred as weapons or is the black goo some sort of "improved" version of the Xenomorph that the Engineers are using.

For all we know the Engineers may be creating "test planets" just to unleash Xenomorphs onto it. See if the species that developed on the planet would defeat the Xenomorphs and if they could the Engineers would adopt that new species as their main weapon.
June 13, 2012 @ 09:59 PM
w)entandrew

hmmm the mural on the wall really didnt resemble a xenomorph.. but it could be one of their creations definitely. idk if i would exactly like to think that the xenomorphs have been around longer or anything just because of how we saw one created pretty much.

infected holloway sperm + her uninfected vagoo = tentacle thing + engineer = xenomorph

id say that is too random of an equation. and just because it didn't come out as a baby like in alien makes me think it it will go through more evolution and changes. anyone know why the face huggers put the xenomorph into people? like maybe they need human DNA to fully become one

and i think what david did was very important, he himself was the 4th generation of creators

this movie makes me ramble and rant. sorry guyz

June 13, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

Inactive

This is the mural/scene I was talking about.

June 14, 2012 @ 01:49 AM
Andretti

This is the mural/scene I was talking about.

looks kinda like a xenomorph with its abdomen bust open... god this movie hurts my head. but god i love it

floral fam man til the death - floral family man til the death

June 14, 2012 @ 02:30 AM
w)entandrew

maybe the goo just has an inherent ability to make things turn into the xenomorphs then. like.. somehow anything that interacts with the goo starts to evolve into that, through reproduction it changes?

edit: if that was true i guess it would mean that the xenomorphs represent some evil in the world and the goo is a catalyst of some sort

June 14, 2012 @ 02:35 AM
w)entandrew

ummmmmm how many legs did the tentacle monster have? does the crucified xenomorph look like he has the tentacle monster behind him?

June 14, 2012 @ 04:03 AM
kelleydenham

ummmmmm how many legs did the tentacle monster have? does the crucified xenomorph look like he has the tentacle monster behind him?

It does look like the tentacle thing is behind him! Good catch! Goo has to be related to the xenomorphs. I still think the engineers were attempting to weaponize the goo, but it backfired somehow.

FOR SALE >>> Bape XXL tees and Nike Dunk Low Pro B Size 10 - PM me! #GardnerGang #FloralFam

June 14, 2012 @ 04:40 AM
Juki

I didn't read all of this tread but Ive been checking other forums and seems like the same questions are being asked. Basically the movie has a ton of holes in its plot and this is even more obvious considering the alien movies and it being some sort of prequel.

The fact that we see the ALIEN creature created in the end is irrelevant to me now. I figured thats what Prometheus was about but the Xenomorphs have clearly been around before that which doesn't they now need to explain in addition to all the Engineer questions the movie didn't address.

Doubleclutchhoops.com

June 14, 2012 @ 07:13 AM
THiZZ

This video cleared up a lot of shit and seemed to make the most sense to me in about this movie after reading some views in this thread...
June 14, 2012 @ 05:38 PM

Inactive

^ I think that video is a little off. We don't see the very first facehugger or xenomorph in the movie. We might be seeing a different version, but both the facehugger and xenomorph are already depicted in the mural which I think is a huge clue in the movie and should be deciphered.
June 14, 2012 @ 06:41 PM
Andretti

^ I think that video is a little off. We don't see the very first facehugger or xenomorph in the movie. We might be seeing a different version, but both the facehugger and xenomorph are already depicted in the mural which I think is a huge clue in the movie and should be deciphered.

i thought the video actually made alot of sense. and i agree about the mural, but then what does it mean? i would like to think that the point of seeing the octopus facehugger thing being born and then the xenomorph at the end is showing that they came from humans with this organic goo. so maybe the mural was kind of like the cave paintings? maybe the mural shows something (xenomorphs) that isnt existent to the engineers, but only heard of, and through the humans they came to life

floral fam man til the death - floral family man til the death

June 14, 2012 @ 08:59 PM
chief

i dont think that video covered anything that hasnt been covered in the thread

•••

June 14, 2012 @ 09:58 PM

Inactive

I'm starting to think we might have this all wrong. The mural depicts a Xenomorph as well as facehugger (lower corner). It looks more and more to me that the Xenomorphs were almost worshiped or honored. I think the connection between the Engineers and the Xenomorphs is more important than our connection to the Engineers.

What if we were created to breed Xenomorphs and that was it? Engineers realized that the Xenomorphs need a host to grow and develop into these "weapons". Instead of using fellow Engineers they created humans who shared the same DNA and similar body structure. The perfect host to breed more Xenomorph weapons without having to use Engineer bodies. One Engineer sacrifices himself to create humans, humans are sacrificed to create Xenomorphs, Xenomorphs are sacrificed in presumably war and the cycle continues. The theme of sacrifice comes full circle. So far that's the best theory I can come up with.

Another note is the cave paintings... We gotta assume that all Engineers have their own personalities like humans. What if Earth really was just a breeding ground (of many) and an Engineer who decided humans didn't deserve to be sacrificed tried to hint humans to go to the "military installation" and stop the destruction of Earth? I might be reaching haha.

Not my photo or my find.

June 14, 2012 @ 10:42 PM
chief

damn sonny that theory doesn't seem very farfetched. it would definitely explain why the mural is there before we see any of the actual xenomorphs

•••

June 14, 2012 @ 10:47 PM
chief

...but where would the original xenomorph come from? like when the engineer exposes himself to the black liquid he dissolves in order to create humans. where along that line would a xenomorph have popped out of an engineer? idk if im portraying my thoughts correctly lol

•••

June 15, 2012 @ 02:44 AM
Juki

If the humans are needed for breeding Xenomorphs, why would the engineers be trying to destroy humanity and earth using the BLACK GOO BIOWEAPON in the first place? The Theory doesnt hold up with whats been established in the movie.

Too much going on in this movie that either everything/anything is possible or nothing makes sense.

For example, "MAYBE the original XENOMORPHS are the gods who created the engineers and then the engineers rebelled against them and created a hybrid creature from the humans to wage war with the Xenomorph gods LOL. basically anything goes....

Doubleclutchhoops.com

June 15, 2012 @ 03:04 AM

Inactive

If the humans are needed for breeding Xenomorphs, why would the engineers be trying to destroy humanity and earth using the BLACK GOO BIOWEAPON in the first place? The Theory doesnt hold up with whats been established in the movie.

Right now all we know is that Xenomorphs can be born from Humans and Engineers. Humans grow a chest burster (smaller human smaller alienconfused that grows into a Xenomorph. Engineers are much larger and the "facehugger" in Prometheus was HUGE so this possibly allows the egg to incubate until the Xenomorph is fully developed before coming out?

I think one thing we're assuming that we really have no basis for is that the Engineers are creators and had good intentions when creating humans. I'm starting to lean away from that.

One thing that might be significant, but maybe not... What is the difference between the black goo that was all over the place and the tiny vial of goo that David spike's Halloway's drink with? They're not one in the same are they? I like how when David touched the goo there was a weird reaction like it was trying to have an effect on him, but being a robot did nothing and he just says, "Impressive."
June 15, 2012 @ 04:14 AM
chief

it was the same goo sonny. he took the goo from the vases and used that to spike the drink

•••

June 15, 2012 @ 05:30 AM

Inactive

it was the same goo sonny. he took the goo from the vases and used that to spike the drink

Hmm I don't think that's true and this could be because we've been calling it "black goo" and both are colored black. What if the goo from the outside of the canisters is some sort of booby trap / defense against anyone who is trying to steal the vials? Why have vials of goo if the goo is all over the place?

Engineer #1 drinks a lot of black goo and disintegrates. Halloway drinks goo from the vial and starts to disintegrate as well, but at a much slower speed due to the amount he ingested.

Everyone else touched the black goo that was leaking from the canisters, including the worms, evolving them and then turning them into aggressive lifeforms. Also the canisters started leaking really quickly once they got into that chamber. Furthermore, the worms just happen to be there? Maybe the defense/booby trap was intended to be goo + worms = cobra penis vagina face attackers that would protect the vials.

Maybe I'm reading into it too much, but having goo in the vials and goo also leak out of the containers doesn't make sense to me. I feel like there are two types of goo.

EDIT:

Found this pic. Def does not look like the other goo. Way more watery/soluble

June 15, 2012 @ 05:49 AM
Trollinator

lol

I just gave up and I'll wait til the DVD drops and watch the 20-30 they left out.

But a lot of good thoughts going on here.

I want to see the world burn

June 15, 2012 @ 07:42 AM
w)entandrew

I'm starting to think we might have this all wrong. The mural depicts a Xenomorph as well as facehugger (lower corner). It looks more and more to me that the Xenomorphs were almost worshiped or honored. I think the connection between the Engineers and the Xenomorphs is more important than our connection to the Engineers.

What if we were created to breed Xenomorphs and that was it? Engineers realized that the Xenomorphs need a host to grow and develop into these "weapons". Instead of using fellow Engineers they created humans who shared the same DNA and similar body structure. The perfect host to breed more Xenomorph weapons without having to use Engineer bodies. One Engineer sacrifices himself to create humans, humans are sacrificed to create Xenomorphs, Xenomorphs are sacrificed in presumably war and the cycle continues. The theme of sacrifice comes full circle. So far that's the best theory I can come up with.

Another note is the cave paintings... We gotta assume that all Engineers have their own personalities like humans. What if Earth really was just a breeding ground (of many) and an Engineer who decided humans didn't deserve to be sacrificed tried to hint humans to go to the "military installation" and stop the destruction of Earth? I might be reaching haha.

Not my photo or my find.

sonny i thought about this kinda on the car home. mine was,

the engineers seem to worship the xenomorphs, they are looking for a planet that has life in order to make more xenomorph type things. in the hologram they were looking for earth on the thing yes?

Please login first to reply.