Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
June 12, 2012 @ 08:48 PM
chief

im 99% sure the black goo the engineer drinks at the beginning is the same is the goo seen in the vases in the cave. it's just a matter of the hosts psychological intentions that determined the outcome of the goo.

•••

June 12, 2012 @ 09:34 PM
YungBrooklyn

im 99% sure the black goo the engineer drinks at the beginning is the same is the goo seen in the vases in the cave. it's just a matter of the hosts psychological intentions that determined the outcome of the goo.

Yea you're right. The movie made no attempt to show that there was more than one black goo and everyone/everything that came into contact with it reacted differently so it definitely has to do with the persons intentions.
June 12, 2012 @ 09:37 PM
itsyababyboyzilla

i just saw this and my first impressions were "there's a lot of good stuff here that doesn't really come together satisfyingly and then i got back and read all this, in particular what sonny said and that livejournal thing, and while i appreciate how thick i am for only looking at the face of it, and as much as i appreciate stuff that went over my head and wanna see it again, it should succeed without any of that stuff. but i can't really pinpoint or articulate what let down the film for me. even idris elba's accent, one of the more tangible complaints, became more consistent as it went on.

but yeah this is a head-scratcher for me. i think my expectations fucked this up. if i'm watching mad men, i expect symbolism everywhere, and it's not that subtle anyway, so i see it. but i expected the mood of the trailer, which mostly wasn't there, and instead i got subtext on subtext on subtext

i did smh @ that woman reading the exact same shit she read on-screen tho
June 12, 2012 @ 09:49 PM
kelleydenham

Ok, that makes sense. But how do the Xenomorphs relate to the black goo, that's what I want to know?

FOR SALE >>> Bape XXL tees and Nike Dunk Low Pro B Size 10 - PM me! #GardnerGang #FloralFam

June 12, 2012 @ 10:21 PM
Striker

they aren't related, the first xenomorph was created from the engineer being killed by shaw's alien offspring
June 12, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

Inactive

The black goo taking on the the psychological intentions of the hosts seems like an interesting theory. Does that mean that Halloway had impure intentions because he was host to the goo? Did Shaw have bad intentions since she provided 1/2 of the DNA (assuming that Halloway inseminated her with a black goo sperm)?

I think a more likely theory than the "psychological intent" of the host is how the black good is used. You either come into contact with the goo or you ingest it. The first engineer and Halloway are the only ones we see actually ingest the black goo. Everyone else just comes into contact with it.

The black goo seems to promote rapid evolution of whatever it comes in contact with. Makes the lifeform super strong, aggressive, and changes it's form. The worms turned into those snake things and were defensive/aggressive. That one geologist face smashed into a puddle of black goo which turned him into some super strength zombie that walked like a crab.

When the engineer ingested it his body began to breakdown rapidly. Maybe the black goo started to affect his body on the cellular level breaking it down and then rebuilding with whatever it came into contact with? Halloway's body also starts to break down, but is burned before it can happen.
June 12, 2012 @ 10:42 PM

Inactive

Now that I think about it... "Intent" could be the factor that decides what is born from the goo. If you intentional take it you break down and provide the essence necessary for the creation of life. Going back to the sacrificial theme. However, if you unwillingly take it all you care about is surviving doing whatever it takes to save your own life and maybe that spawns something else?

The fact we're even having this discussion and viable theories are being created with no real "right or wrong" answer is the exact thing that made Inception such a great film. Not to that extent, but similar.
June 12, 2012 @ 11:29 PM
valleyla

I think Prometheus will be my 2nd favorite film this year behind Dark Knight Rises. The movie has a lot to think about and really digest. It's one of those movies I think you can go back and watch numerous times and catch something new that will alter your perspective.
June 12, 2012 @ 11:56 PM
chief

The black goo taking on the the psychological intentions of the hosts seems like an interesting theory. Does that mean that Halloway had impure intentions because he was host to the goo? Did Shaw have bad intentions since she provided 1/2 of the DNA (assuming that Halloway inseminated her with a black goo sperm)?

I think a more likely theory than the "psychological intent" of the host is how the black good is used. You either come into contact with the goo or you ingest it. The first engineer and Halloway are the only ones we see actually ingest the black goo. Everyone else just comes into contact with it.

The black goo seems to promote rapid evolution of whatever it comes in contact with. Makes the lifeform super strong, aggressive, and changes it's form. The worms turned into those snake things and were defensive/aggressive. That one geologist face smashed into a puddle of black goo which turned him into some super strength zombie that walked like a crab.

When the engineer ingested it his body began to breakdown rapidly. Maybe the black goo started to affect his body on the cellular level breaking it down and then rebuilding with whatever it came into contact with? Halloway's body also starts to break down, but is burned before it can happen.

ya i think the 1/2 of the bad intent from shaw was enough to create that tentacle monster that was c-sectioned out of her later in the film

but where im starting to find a hole is that fifield (who i think we can agree on had intentions to sacrifice others so he could live) feel into the black liquid face first and got turned into the zombie... now to me it LOOKED like holloway was beginning to turn into the same type of zombie creature fifield turned into which wouldn't really make sense but i guess we never really saw the full outcome as he was killed. so i guess it really is a possibility he was breaking down on a molecular level but didn't really know he was just going to disintegrate rather than turn into a monster so he had vickers kill him anyway

•••

June 13, 2012 @ 12:04 AM
chief

^
actually nvm i think holloway was in fact turning into the zombie. remember he and shaw both wanted to travel to the distant planet to discover their creators so they both had intentions to potentially harm for their gain. it didnt really matter what holloways intentions appeared to be on the surface (which were somewhat unidentifiable) when david dropped the black liquid in his drink because all along they had a reason to travel to the planet

•••

June 13, 2012 @ 01:04 AM
kelleydenham

they aren't related, the first xenomorph was created from the engineer being killed by shaw's alien offspring

Hmm... Ok, but I thought the xenomorphs had been around for much longer. The AvP stuff talks about that. Is that not technically in this universe?

FOR SALE >>> Bape XXL tees and Nike Dunk Low Pro B Size 10 - PM me! #GardnerGang #FloralFam

June 13, 2012 @ 01:36 AM
chief

pretty sure they are. how do you explain the wall statue that features the final form of the alien monster

•••

June 13, 2012 @ 01:40 AM
kelleydenham

@ chief
That's what I'm saying! The goo has to be related to the xenomorphs in some way, right?

June 13, 2012 @ 01:41 AM
tree fiddy

avp was a piece of shit movie and in no way correlates with ridley's version

idk im still not feeling the whole black goo intent theory. seems to be thinking outside of the box way too much and adding interpretations of something that isnt meant to be interpreted as.

the black goo probably just has different effects on different species. when engineers come in contact with the black goo, they disintegrate/die as seen in the beginning as well as when the scientists resurrect the head of an engineer. the worms seem to evolve from the goo, and humans turn into zombie-like creatures.
June 13, 2012 @ 01:46 AM
tree fiddy

and if u guys havent seen, pretty awesome concept art/set photos. reveals a lot of the statues as well

http://prometheusfrance.forumdefans.com/t36-le-livre-officiel-informations-officielles
June 13, 2012 @ 02:35 AM
kelleydenham

and if u guys havent seen, pretty awesome concept art/set photos. reveals a lot of the statues as well

http://prometheusfrance.forumdefans.com/t36-le-livre-officiel-informations-officielles

WOAH, THAT'S AWESOME!! And I know that AvP was bad, I was just wondering if it was canon within the universe?

June 13, 2012 @ 02:54 AM
DREWKKAKE

just because the captain called it evil doesn't exactly mean that is what it is. or it doesn't mean its a weapon. it could just promote rapid change or evolution of cells. nobody comes in contact with the goo in the same way besides holloway and the engineer at the beginning.

the goo has to be a symbol for something. all this symbolism in the film, it has to mean something

Forum Administrator • @DREWKKAKE

June 13, 2012 @ 04:30 AM

Inactive

The more I think about it the more I want to rule out the psychological intent theory. If Engineers are creating humans isn't that also a selfish act in and of itself? They're creating life in order to monitor the development and growth like an experiment to satisfy their own curiosity. Isn't that an impure intent?

On the flip side though... I guess the intent theory is still very viable. The first Engineer might have truly been selfless and sacrificed himself to give life to Earth. However, after seeing the development of mankind and ruling that humans turned out to be a evil and not what they intended to create the Engineers planned to wipe the slate clean and destroy humans. However, by deciding to destroy life the black goo may have come in contact with an Engineer producing an "evil" spawn/evolution/xenomorph leading to the death of almost all the Engineers in that installation.
June 13, 2012 @ 04:34 AM
kelleydenham

@ dep trai
Your end point actually kinda makes sense. I'm still super confused about the mural of the xenomorph in that room doe. The engineers must have already known about them to paint a mural of them, and the black goo must have something to do with em if it ends up creating one, right?

June 13, 2012 @ 04:50 AM
metalslug

read this:
io9 Prometheus
it answers alot about the whole movie
June 13, 2012 @ 04:55 AM
metalslug

also:
in this one Ridley Scott says the black goo is a type of chemical / biological warfare created by the Engineers.
COLLIDER ARTICLE
In one article Scott says that 2000 years ago we killed Jesus aka an Engineer ambassador and thats why they wanted to exterminate Earth but something happened in between.
June 13, 2012 @ 05:00 AM
Trollinator

Thanks for that source.

I want to see the world burn

June 13, 2012 @ 05:11 AM
quantum

This movie was amazing hands down.

Feedback: http://hypebeast.com/forums/buyerseller-feedback/174124#3503338

June 13, 2012 @ 06:06 AM
RiFF RaFF

dawg this should be a college class for some credits. niggas be analyzing this shit like it's a midterm. on the real though, movie was awesome.

Be about it

June 13, 2012 @ 06:47 AM
Fitch

dawg this should be a college class for some credits. niggas be analyzing this shit like it's a midterm. on the real though, movie was awesome.

Sounds like my Film Studies course.
June 13, 2012 @ 06:54 AM
jamestapoz

just because the captain called it evil doesn't exactly mean that is what it is. or it doesn't mean its a weapon. it could just promote rapid change or evolution of cells. nobody comes in contact with the goo in the same way besides holloway and the engineer at the beginning.

the goo has to be a symbol for something. all this symbolism in the film, it has to mean something

so prometheus helps the humans, but ends up getting caught and his liver ripped out. the engineer creates a new race, but ends up dying (i honestly felt like his expression was like, the fuck im dying here and shit)

maybe black goo represents regret?
June 13, 2012 @ 07:21 AM
14KTSlumWiZard

Question.

Alien 1 - They found the engineer in the pilot seat, chest busted open.
Prometheus - Same engineer was initially in seat prior to ship destruction, pursued Shaw only to have his chest busted through in the escape pod...NOT in the pilot seat.

Which engineer ultimately died in the engineers' pilot seat?

Alien 1 takes place on planet lv-426 which orbits planet lv-223
Prometheus takes place on lv-223
June 13, 2012 @ 07:51 AM
Trollinator

http://www.movieviral.com/2012/06/10/prometheus-end-credits-image-leads-to-new-viral-website-and-video/

whats all this about?

I want to see the world burn

June 13, 2012 @ 09:14 AM
DREWKKAKE

hmm interesting reads but i feel like we are having more fun discussing this without any definitive answers.

i hate that they said the engineers were infact goign to earth to destroy them. I was kinda thinking about a new idea that maybe one or a couple of the engineers went rogue and were trying to leave to destroy us.

Forum Administrator • @DREWKKAKE

June 13, 2012 @ 09:36 AM
chief

nahh. i think it'd be way cooler like they have in the movie where they actually have a motive to destroy us but haven't yet disclosed it. a couple of engineers going rogue seems like it wouldn't make sense since they seem to be a really tight-knit group and all understand eachother

•••

Please login first to reply.