FALL SALE - 20% OFF - USE CODE: FALL20 (24 HOURS LEFT)
June 11, 2012 @ 06:53 PM

Inactive

The movie was pretty good since we've been in a sci-fi drought lately when it comes to a good alien flick. I can see how people can get confused, but it's not like it's some mind bending movie like Inception was. Things are pretty straight forward as long as you...

- Know the story of Prometheus - Explains the first scene
- Have seen Ridley Scott films - Explains the last scene

The first two viewers in this thread must have had the film go over their heads, because I didn't get "plot holes every 10 minutes". Also isn't this supposed to be part of a trilogy or was that just rumor? Either way it's already made it's money back as far as production goes.

I think Prometheus just uses very strong and evident themes that if you're not aware of can make this movie seem like a mess. I really can't recount any super obvious plot holes in the movie. More like what Drew said, it's "small questions" not outright plot holes. Which is why we'll more than likely see a second and probably third film.

My only complaint about the movie is it seems like the last quarter of the movie the acting kinda went downhill... Felt almost as if they were running out of time to make the movie and had to go with their best shot. Also that and some of the deaths were a bit cornballish and really anti-climatic. Other than that I thought it was a pretty decent sci-fi film. Not amazing, but as far as aliens go one of the better ones as of recently.
June 11, 2012 @ 07:49 PM
RiFF RaFF

amazing movie nevertheless.

Be about it

June 11, 2012 @ 08:19 PM
Trollinator

The movie was pretty good since we've been in a sci-fi drought lately when it comes to a good alien flick. I can see how people can get confused, but it's not like it's some mind bending movie like Inception was. Things are pretty straight forward as long as you...

- Know the story of Prometheus - Explains the first scene
- Have seen Ridley Scott films - Explains the last scene

The first two viewers in this thread must have had the film go over their heads, because I didn't get "plot holes every 10 minutes". Also isn't this supposed to be part of a trilogy or was that just rumor? Either way it's already made it's money back as far as production goes.

I think Prometheus just uses very strong and evident themes that if you're not aware of can make this movie seem like a mess. I really can't recount any super obvious plot holes in the movie. More like what Drew said, it's "small questions" not outright plot holes. Which is why we'll more than likely see a second and probably third film.

My only complaint about the movie is it seems like the last quarter of the movie the acting kinda went downhill... Felt almost as if they were running out of time to make the movie and had to go with their best shot. Also that and some of the deaths were a bit cornballish and really anti-climatic. Other than that I thought it was a pretty decent sci-fi film. Not amazing, but as far as aliens go one of the better ones as of recently.

You;re right, I did feel they were running out of time. another good 45 mins would of been great to add more to this.

I want to see the world burn

June 11, 2012 @ 08:51 PM
DREWKKAKE

lol do you guys not think the picked up pace was necessary? they carried out the mission exactly as planned by the weyland guy. a mission we had no idea about till the second half of the movie. then the engineer started smashing peoples faces. the only thing different would have been if they stayed on the planet a little longer than a day. But weyland was going to die so he barely had time, wanted to speak to the maker.

or am i crazy?

Forum Administrator • @DREWKKAKE

June 11, 2012 @ 08:59 PM
jaded

I still need to see this sad

i'm the best mayne, i deed it

June 11, 2012 @ 09:56 PM
YungBrooklyn

I heard that they cut like 30 mins of the film, that probably explains why it felt rushed. The extra parts will probably be on the DVD.
June 12, 2012 @ 02:31 AM
Iron Chef El Chapo

honestly a huge plot hole was them taking off the helmets. not only should they have kept them one because they are scientists, and they have common sense, but because you never the types of atmospheric fluctuations an alien planet can have. second, what about air born pathogens? shit was dumb. plus if i was the capt i woulda just charged my lazers. smfh
June 12, 2012 @ 03:58 AM
lalala

the fuck was the opening scene all about... someone please explain it to me.
in fact, i have many unanswered questions this movie failed to address:

1. the fuck was up with that opening scene?
2. what was the black shit then, war materials or whatnot? what does it do anyway?
3. the fuck were the small snake things?

so many more questions. im just higly confused...

1. an engineer sacrificing himself and seeding life on a planet, possibly earth
2. a weapon that destroys organic life
3. evolutions of the worms shown in the dirt when they first walked in

movie had mad potential, but it was all over the place

x

June 12, 2012 @ 04:01 AM
lalala

lol do you guys not think the picked up pace was necessary? they carried out the mission exactly as planned by the weyland guy. a mission we had no idea about till the second half of the movie. then the engineer started smashing peoples faces. the only thing different would have been if they stayed on the planet a little longer than a day. But weyland was going to die so he barely had time, wanted to speak to the maker.

or am i crazy?

you could figure out the underlying mission in the scene where david the robot is talking to him secretly in that corner or whatever

x

June 12, 2012 @ 04:25 AM
Fitch

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=prometheus_nutshell

I didn't care to see the movie before reading that, and I definitely care less now. Sounds shitty.
June 12, 2012 @ 04:49 AM
chief

2. what was the black shit then, war materials or whatnot? what does it do anyway?

1. dont understand how that makes sense. i just decided that my theory is that the spaceship flying away were the creators of the engineers. at one point shaw says something about how the engineers made humans and changed their minds and how someone created the engineers as well
2. but who made it? for what purpose?
3. that actually makes sense, never thought about that

you have good theorys. this movie confuses me but i like it

1. the spaceship at the beginning were engineers as well as the guy next to the river. they were leaving him simply because he was sacrificing himself (a common theme in the film) to give life to that planet
2. the end results of the black slime are directly related to their host. if their host sacrificed THEMSELVES for the good of others (such as the guy at the beginning) then organic life would be produced. Where as if the host were greedy and were to sacrifice OTHERS for the sake of itself living the black slime would develop off that internal choice the person was making and would create the aliens.
-Thats why when the engineer tried to kill Shaw he held her in contempt after dying because she sacrificed him by feeding him to the giant facehugger. Saw the fail of not sacrificing herself for the good of others (but i mean in this case what was she really to do? ) so he gave up hope on the humans (the engineer's creation) and the alien was born from his stomach.

•••

June 12, 2012 @ 05:22 AM

Inactive

People complaining about David and trying to figure out his motives are humanizing him. He's a robot. His motives are whatever he's programmed to do when Weyland is still alive. He has objectives, not motives. However, once Weyland is dead he has "freedom" and they we can start discussing his motives.

I think the problem with the movie is that it gave it's audience too much credit. Some people aren't gonna understand themes or even obvious plots with just one viewing.

I would bet with another watch most people would put two and two together and things would make more sense and folks would stop yelling "plot hole" every sentence.
June 12, 2012 @ 05:42 AM
tree fiddy

1. dont understand how that makes sense. i just decided that my theory is that the spaceship flying away were the creators of the engineers. at one point shaw says something about how the engineers made humans and changed their minds and how someone created the engineers as well

1. the spaceship at the beginning were engineers as well as the guy next to the river. they were leaving him simply because he was sacrificing himself (a common theme in the film) to give life to that planet
2. the end results of the black slime are directly related to their host. if their host sacrificed THEMSELVES for the good of others (such as the guy at the beginning) then organic life would be produced. Where as if the host were greedy and were to sacrifice OTHERS for the sake of itself living the black slime would develop off that internal choice the person was making and would create the aliens.
-Thats why when the engineer tried to kill Shaw he held her in contempt after dying because she sacrificed him by feeding him to the giant facehugger. Saw the fail of not sacrificing herself for the good of others (but i mean in this case what was she really to do? ) so he gave up hope on the humans (the engineer's creation) and the alien was born from his stomach.

idk where u comin up with that homo shit about internal thoughts shit sounds gay as hell and makes no sense

the worms did not sacrifice themselves to evolve into the snake thing
June 12, 2012 @ 06:37 AM
RiFF RaFF

basically just make the movie into what you want to believe and you'll be enjoying it 100x more.

Be about it

June 12, 2012 @ 07:11 AM
chief

idk where u comin up with that homo shit about internal thoughts shit sounds gay as hell and makes no sense

The fight between sacrificing oneself for the good of others vs sacrificing others for the good of yourself was a very reoccurring theme throughout the whole movie so it's no surprise the black liquid reacts to it. Lets run through some examples:
1. Not shown in the movie but Prometheus creates humans and gives them fire and fire was supposed to be sacred only to the gods. As a result the gods sentence him to eternal punishment by chaining him to a rock and every day having an eagle feed from his liver, only to have it grow back the next day. (essentially sacrificing his life for the creation of humans).
2. The first engineer you see in the film again sacrifices himself to create life on the planet he is on.
3. The first time they go into the cave with the giant head, Shaw points out the giant mural on the ceiling that depicts Prometheus with his stomach ripped open due to the eagle eating his liver (reference to the original prometheus to remind you of the reoccurring theme).
4. Holloway sacrifices himself by allowing Vickers to kill him with the flamethrower (nice reference to the original story again) otherwise he would become a monster like Fifield and potentially wreak havoc upon the ship.
5. And finally the captain of the ship along with the two pilots sacrifice themselves to save Earth by running Prometheus into the Engineer's ship.

-You'll notice that Weyland is the exact opposite of all these examples. He tells David seperate objectives from the crew and to "try harder" to find the Engineers which could potentially wipe out his whole crew. Weyland doesn't care if he sacrifices the crew members as he only wants to see the Engineers and wants to learn where he came from (for his own personal gain).

•••

June 12, 2012 @ 07:13 AM
Trollinator

I heard that they cut like 30 mins of the film, that probably explains why it felt rushed. The extra parts will probably be on the DVD.

source?

June 12, 2012 @ 07:18 AM
valleyla

He's right about the opening. The Engineers were all about sacrificing themselves for the greater good and creating life. Prometheus, the mythological Titan, sacrificed himself to give the humans fire. He had his stomach torn open every day and his liver eaten and if you see the mural in that room it's an Engineer with his abdomen split open. That was a really common theme with abdomens sprouting life or to continue life. Shaw had her stomach ripped open to give birth. Prometheus' abdomen technically gave us life because that was his sacrifice to give us fire. The Engineer at the end gave life through his abdomen when the alien popped out.

As for the black goo, I think he's right there too. When they were in the room with the vases the black goo was just sitting there but the longer they stayed in the vicinity the more it just became a living thing. It took the form of a serpent for the race that thirsts for knowledge more than any other species. See a connection between the snake in Eden for humans and on that planet? If you notice the Engineers encountered something that led to them dying around 2000 years ago. What happened around 2000 years ago? Jesus was killed. It's apparently rumored from people that Ridley planned the connection and that the movie states Jesus was an Engineer or a "perfect specimen" created by the Engineers to lead us to living our lives the way we were meant to live them but we just killed him. He had his abdomen cut open (see the theme of sacrifice and abdomensconfused and then killed on the cross.

Honestly, from my understanding, the film just focuses a lot on religious aspects and themes. Also the theme of sacrifice. That's what I got out of the movie at least.
June 12, 2012 @ 07:22 AM
valleyla

The fight between sacrificing oneself for the good of others vs sacrificing others for the good of yourself was a very reoccurring theme throughout the whole movie so it's no surprise the black liquid reacts to it. Lets run through some examples:
1. Not shown in the movie but Prometheus creates humans and gives them fire and fire was supposed to be sacred only to the gods. As a result the gods sentence him to eternal punishment by chaining him to a rock and every day having an eagle feed from his liver, only to have it grow back the next day. (essentially sacrificing his life for the creation of humans).
2. The first engineer you see in the film again sacrifices himself to create life on the planet he is on.
3. The first time they go into the cave with the giant head, Shaw points out the giant mural on the ceiling that depicts Prometheus with his stomach ripped open due to the eagle eating his liver (reference to the original prometheus to remind you of the reoccurring theme).
4. Holloway sacrifices himself by allowing Vickers to kill him with the flamethrower (nice reference to the original story again) otherwise he would become a monster like Fifield and potentially wreak havoc upon the ship.
5. And finally the captain of the ship along with the two pilots sacrifice themselves to save Earth by running Prometheus into the Engineer's ship.

-You'll notice that Weyland is the exact opposite of all these examples. He tells David seperate objectives from the crew and to "try harder" to find the Engineers which could potentially wipe out his whole crew. Weyland doesn't care if he sacrifices the crew members as he only wants to see the Engineers and wants to learn where he came from (for his own personal gain).

I go on and type up this long response, post it and see this. Damn hahaha. But this is pretty much what I believe too
June 12, 2012 @ 07:30 AM
tree fiddy

naw chill i caught the whole "sacrifice" theme of the movie, but u were saying something about sacrificing for the good of others leads to a specific outcome or whatever and im pointing out your theory makes no sense.
June 12, 2012 @ 07:55 AM
chief

when individuals sacrifice others for the good of themselves...out pops an alien (a disfigured monster that represents ugliness of greed)...which, what do you know sacrifices others for the good of its species by killing them at any cost.

its no coincidence that at the beginning the engineer sacrifices himself to create (presumably) humans and because this was a good deed, humans took somewhat of the same body shape as the engineers (as the resulting creatures are affected by the hosts intentions). This was a selfless act that allowed organic life to form. Humans were supposed to follow suit with the engineers and be willing to sacrifice themselves for the good of others, but instead they sacrificed Jesus like Valleyla said above and that's when the engineers decided the humans were no longer an important species.

and again like valleyla said above, the black liquid was just hanging out in the bottles until the humans began to stay there longer. humans had the intention to sacrifice others (meaning potentially the engineers or whatever lied in their way) while on the planet for their personal gain and the black liquid sort of picked up on this (yeah sort of gay I know but true).

to go back on your worm thing. the black liquid mutated the worms seen under the crew's boots in that short clip and created those snakelike things that swim in the water. they are all the different stages of the alien im assuming.

•••

June 12, 2012 @ 04:54 PM
valleyla

Also regarding the whole black goo changing as the humans got there, in that article someone posted a while back it even said that when Shaw says the "atmosphere of the room changed" as the moral is decaying it's a double meaning. The psychological atmosphere also changed once the humans got in the room because the goo could sense the ill motives.

I hope there are sequels to this joint honestly.
June 12, 2012 @ 05:10 PM
lalala

MY MORAL VALUES ARE MAKING THE GOO TURN EVIL, JUST LIKE ME

pretty sad how everyone automatically believes that crazy article that some dude posted on live journal.

i can buy some of the prometheus myth being involved, but a lot of it is ridiculous. such a joke how writers can just cop out, not give any resolution to questions, then just say "oh well its up to your own interpretation". nah son, you're just being lazy.

x

June 12, 2012 @ 05:14 PM
jamestapoz

SPOILERS--------------------------

heres my theory about the black goo...

Any organic life form that touches or gets in to contact with the goo becomes ultra violent. The worms on the ground in the tomb that later changed into what killed the two scientists, and then there was the goo that was on the head of the dead engineer that later exploded the head. Also holloway became a zombie after drinking it.

I'm thinking the reason for all the dead engineers on the ship was because of the goo. Maybe one of them became a zombie and killed everyone on their ship. And after realizing how deadly the goo could be, they wanted to go back to earth and kill the humans that they just created.
June 12, 2012 @ 05:34 PM
chief

pretty sad how everyone automatically believes that crazy article that some dude posted on live journal.

i can buy some of the prometheus myth being involved, but a lot of it is ridiculous. such a joke how writers can just cop out, not give any resolution to questions, then just say "oh well its up to your own interpretation". nah son, you're just being lazy.

lol dude its a fucking sci-fi movie. that article that dude posted awhile back was very accurate

•••

June 12, 2012 @ 06:12 PM
Trollinator

SPOILERS--------------------------

heres my theory about the black goo...

Any organic life form that touches or gets in to contact with the goo becomes ultra violent. The worms on the ground in the tomb that later changed into what killed the two scientists, and then there was the goo that was on the head of the dead engineer that later exploded the head. Also holloway became a zombie after drinking it.

I'm thinking the reason for all the dead engineers on the ship was because of the goo. Maybe one of them became a zombie and killed everyone on their ship. And after realizing how deadly the goo could be, they wanted to go back to earth and kill the humans that they just created.

It made sense til the part where they just wanted to kill us.

Why would they kill us when one of the engineers got infected.

June 12, 2012 @ 06:41 PM
kelleydenham

I assumed that the goo had something to with xenomorphs? The engineers appeared to be attempting to weaponize it, but it backfired.

FOR SALE >>> Bape XXL tees and Nike Dunk Low Pro B Size 10 - PM me! #GardnerGang #FloralFam

June 12, 2012 @ 07:24 PM
ReZ

Question.

Alien 1 - They found the engineer in the pilot seat, chest busted open.
Prometheus - Same engineer was initially in seat prior to ship destruction, pursued Shaw only to have his chest busted through in the escape pod...NOT in the pilot seat.

Which engineer ultimately died in the engineers' pilot seat?
June 12, 2012 @ 07:34 PM
DREWKKAKE

^doesnt have to be the same engineers as we see

but the black goo could just be some shit that alters or changes life. they could have been sending those pods places to create life.

Forum Administrator • @DREWKKAKE

June 12, 2012 @ 07:47 PM
valleyla

You're being just as lazy b. Use your mind and stop following a given path that you're not entitled to. No one said films have to be cut and dry from the beginning to the end. If that's what you want don't go to sci-fi/fantasy movies or watch indie films.

So if you think that article is crazy what do YOU think?
June 12, 2012 @ 08:08 PM
kelleydenham

I assumed there are possibly different types of goo. In the room where they initially find the jars, Charlie (Shaw's boyfriend) examines a mural behind the giant head which clearly looks like a Xenomorph. We all know a sequel is coming, so a lot of these questions will probably be answered.

FOR SALE >>> Bape XXL tees and Nike Dunk Low Pro B Size 10 - PM me! #GardnerGang #FloralFam

Please login first to reply.