Get an Extra 20% Off Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA20
December 24, 2010 @ 05:42 PM
yomilo

What's the deal with this shit? I wasn't around for Blaxploitation but I'm assuming this is what it was like. Considering the parallels of this movement, with Michael Cera in the same position as Richard Roundtree. All these films that are blatantly using and exploiting nerdy culture to make a buck, I'm looking at Sorcerer's Apprentice, Scott Pilgrim v The World, this reboot of Spider-man, Thor films, Black Adam, etc.

And no one is outraged.
December 24, 2010 @ 11:05 PM
goldANDsacks

uhhh no.

"nerdsploitation" (by your definition) has existed for years. it was called "sci-fi/fanstasy"
December 25, 2010 @ 12:17 AM
ClydeFrazier

blaxploitation films are fucking awesome. that's all i have to say on the matter.

Melo Gang All Day

December 25, 2010 @ 11:29 AM
yomilo

No, sir. A genre, on its own, is not the same. The exploitation of Sci-fi/Fantasy would be Nerdsploitation would be what I'm talking about. Nor did I attempt to define it, I'm merely highlighting what's going on.

Blaxploitation films are for ♥♥♥♥♥s who take shits with their peacoats on.
December 25, 2010 @ 12:07 PM
goldANDsacks

and exactly how are ppl exploiting nerds in "Sorcerer's Apprentice, Scott Pilgrim v The World, this reboot of Spider-man, Thor films, Black Adam, etc?"

i guess the better question is, whats your definition of "exploitation"? you need to define it b/c i dont get what youre trying to say.

the movies you listed were also mainstream releases which were geared towards the general audience. nerds were trendy the past couple of years. "exploitation films" are usually geared towards a very specific audience (i.e. ppl who like zombie cannibals from space)

what about all of those childrens movies that come out all over the place like shrek (and its multiple sequels). is that "childs-ploitation"?

what about the Christmas and Halloween movies that are released every year? is that "holiday-sploitation"?

b/c if "nerdsploitation" is a real thing, (by your examples) then all those retarded SAW sequels are "holiday-sploitation" films that are just cashing in on people who want to see a horror movie on Halloween.

why should someone be outraged by that?

i agree with pootietang (that sounds funny outloud). blaxploitation movies are awesome. there's nothing wrong with "Exploitation films" as a whole. some of them have some racist characters or whatnot, but so can any genre. just because it has the word "exploitation" doesnt mean its malicious.
January 6, 2011 @ 02:37 PM
PRIMEAPE91

i agree with pootietang (that sounds funny outloud). blaxploitation movies are awesome. there's nothing wrong with "Exploitation films" as a whole. some of them have some racist characters or whatnot, but so can any genre. just because it has the word "exploitation" doesnt mean its malicious.

the truth right here
January 16, 2011 @ 09:09 PM
Tariq von Smif

and exactly how are ppl exploiting nerds in "Sorcerer's Apprentice, Scott Pilgrim v The World, this reboot of Spider-man, Thor films, Black Adam, etc?"

i guess the better question is, whats your definition of "exploitation"? you need to define it b/c i dont get what youre trying to say.

the movies you listed were also mainstream releases which were geared towards the general audience. nerds were trendy the past couple of years. "exploitation films" are usually geared towards a very specific audience (i.e. ppl who like zombie cannibals from space)

what about all of those childrens movies that come out all over the place like shrek (and its multiple sequels). is that "childs-ploitation"?

what about the Christmas and Halloween movies that are released every year? is that "holiday-sploitation"?

b/c if "nerdsploitation" is a real thing, (by your examples) then all those retarded SAW sequels are "holiday-sploitation" films that are just cashing in on people who want to see a horror movie on Halloween.

why should someone be outraged by that?

Blaxploitation is what introduded the word somethingxploitation..

it is not named like that cause it was a good thing..no it was named exploitation because , for afro american actors to act, be actors, they had to keep on playing these stereotypical roles. there was no escaping it.
But the community turned it around and these cats in these movies turned in to hood heroes..
but dont say its all good, just cause you like the movies..think.
December 10, 2011 @ 02:03 PM
darkstarendo

"I've never been ashamed of the nerdy dude I am. But I've stumbled across Michael Cera's nerdsploitation plan."

Hey, Milo. X-)

I think it's exploitation if the culture is represented poorly. I didn't see any of his movies except Superbad, which I thought was funny. Like Tariq van Smif said, if they act like nerds in the movie because that's what the audience wants to see so they can laugh at a certain type of person, that's not cool. For example, in the Cheech and Chong movies, they act like stoners because they are stoners and so they are not exploiting but celebrating their culture. Haha.

Please login first to reply.