Labor Day - Enjoy 25% Off Your Order. Use code: LABORDAY25
January 10, 2010 @ 12:00 PM
H. Drew

^^^ you need to cut the bullshit..... Texas is it's own country NOT state haha.

Editing my first short film for school today.

http://theurbanerenaissance.com/ http://theurbanerenaissance.tumblr.com/

January 15, 2010 @ 11:49 PM
FROADS

To all the future film makers or creative writers who are in film school, how much does it cost to enroll in a creative writing program?
Also, is it necessary to take classes that are not worth of interest such as math or science? And how long does attaining a degree in creative writing take?
I checked on google but got various answers.. Thnx
January 16, 2010 @ 12:55 AM
frrresh

^Really depends on what school your gonna apply to, the program I am in is called motion picture production and im in my first year,second semester right now. our writing class ended after first semester which i was really bummed about since our teacher was a really good writer and has been in film his whole life. I'm thinking next year to either go to a straight writing school or just continue on in my program cause after 2 years you get a degree...which is pretty sick..and the government of canada is finally building us a new film centre worth like 32 million...which is lookin finer and finer. The school im in was actually just made into a university so starting next year you gotta take a math course and english couse on top of your film courses which is pretty bunk but i guess thats uni standards or some shit. Really depends on where your wanting to study man, la and new york have really good writing schools..but the tutition's are generally through the freakin roof. by the way sorry bout the essay...when i start writing bout film i go all out!

cheers
January 16, 2010 @ 12:58 AM
ReZ

To all the future film makers or creative writers who are in film school, how much does it cost to enroll in a creative writing program?
Also, is it necessary to take classes that are not worth of interest such as math or science? And how long does attaining a degree in creative writing take?
I checked on google but got various answers.. Thnx

Depends. If you want to get into the best programs, which are typically situated in top tier universities, you'll be studying your ass off in all disciplines and paying a premium for your education. I'd personally recommend going the traditional route and majoring in something that would compliment creative writing (english, communications, etc.) for graduate school.
January 16, 2010 @ 01:21 AM
FROADS

^Really depends on what school your gonna apply to, the program I am in is called motion picture production and im in my first year,second semester right now. our writing class ended after first semester which i was really bummed about since our teacher was a really good writer and has been in film his whole life. I'm thinking next year to either go to a straight writing school or just continue on in my program cause after 2 years you get a degree...which is pretty sick..and the government of canada is finally building us a new film centre worth like 32 million...which is lookin finer and finer. The school im in was actually just made into a university so starting next year you gotta take a math course and english couse on top of your film courses which is pretty bunk but i guess thats uni standards or some shit. Really depends on where your wanting to study man, la and new york have really good writing schools..but the tutition's are generally through the freakin roof. by the way sorry bout the essay...when i start writing bout film i go all out!

cheers

Thnx, Writing has been a passion of mine for the longest...Always kept it as a hobby but I've been fed up with work lately, knamean..I feel if I don't pursue this now in an academic form then I guess I won't ever get to..Plus, I think a degree sorta does look good in a resume.. adds More credibility..

Depends. If you want to get into the best programs, which are typically situated in top tier universities, you'll be studying your ass off in all disciplines and paying a premium for your education. I'd personally recommend going the traditional route and majoring in something that would compliment creative writing (english, communications, etc.) for graduate school.

Good shit..that's what I'm not lookin forward to, u kno math and other expensive classes..Been savin up doh..I don't think no scholarship could ever endorse me, I had the most fucked up grades in hi school
January 16, 2010 @ 01:26 AM
FROADS

Outta curiosity what type of films are ya'll lookin to make or get into?
January 16, 2010 @ 02:01 PM
frrresh

I'd really love to write comedy. I bring a notepad with me wherever I go cause I think of funny shit all the time. Thats the biggest thing is to write down all your ideas even if you think they are dumb.

cheers
January 16, 2010 @ 02:22 PM
young idiot

^ That would mess me up. To try and think of something that'll be funny for like, the majority of people who see it. Like, objectively funny stuff that'll still be funny in however many years or months after you've written it.
January 16, 2010 @ 05:21 PM
frrresh

More and more people are writing now about stuff that they have actually experienced cause its more authentic and whatnot. Take curb your enthusiasm or anything from the judd apatow/seth rogen group...they make movies that they want to see and what they have experienced and what they think is funny...it really matters on what kind of person you are as well.

cheers
January 16, 2010 @ 07:21 PM
ReZ

my path is not set on necessarily becoming a writer, but a producer. I enjoy concocting business plans and acting as a project manager; thought this would be ideal to combine it with my passion for film.
January 17, 2010 @ 07:18 AM
A BreYthing Ape

Cheaaa, working on my portfolio for uni as we speak. Mainly comprises of written stuff; scripts; step outlines and a few storyboard developments. Shooting some shit next week.
January 20, 2010 @ 01:10 AM
H. Drew

Check out my film for class.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtqtiNhtL-g

January 20, 2010 @ 01:16 AM
FROADS

good shit..what kind of camera did u use?
January 20, 2010 @ 01:58 AM
bloxheads

I Love Film. I Want To Get into it For Music Videos/Shorts

I Just Did My First Videos For Songs i Did for fun

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk68dCUQjzE

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW2lDWAIcwc

i want to go to art school or some shit for it but that shit cost alot.

doing these were really fun, i enjoy the shit alot, awesome that you made this thread
January 20, 2010 @ 02:01 AM
H. Drew

good shit..what kind of camera did u use?

Panasonic DVX100P.That's all they let us freshman use.

Thanks for the compliment. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

January 20, 2010 @ 02:06 AM
H. Drew

I Love Film. I Want To Get into it For Music Videos/Shorts

I Just Did My First Videos For Songs i Did for fun

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk68dCUQjzE

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW2lDWAIcwc

i want to go to art school or some shit for it but that shit cost alot.

doing these were really fun, i enjoy the shit alot, awesome that you made this thread

Seriously, I like your music I'd have a field day turning one of your songs into a music video. I copped the mixtape. Tried to cop the Oddfuture one like a year ago but the link was shitting on me.

February 1, 2010 @ 10:39 PM
Joweee

got my camera in
i'm just tryna learn sony vegas right now
February 8, 2010 @ 07:08 PM
Leviathan

It seems like most of you guys want to direct in the future, as of right now which directors are inpiring you?
February 8, 2010 @ 09:42 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

fucking Jim Jarmusch

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

February 8, 2010 @ 10:52 PM
ReZ

got the interview for screenwriting at Northwestern, RAAAAAAAAAAAAH
February 8, 2010 @ 10:56 PM
Joweee

^^

Tarantino, Scorsese, Zwick, Reitman, Fincher.
February 11, 2010 @ 02:00 PM
Leviathan

^ thats a dope qoute. havent watched anything from jim jarmusch yet, what would you guys recommend?
Lately ive been watchin scorsese and kubrick.
February 11, 2010 @ 02:13 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

-Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai
-Coffee and Cigarettes
-Dead Man

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

February 11, 2010 @ 02:44 PM
Leviathan

^ nice thanks man i'll definetly check those out
February 11, 2010 @ 10:05 PM
frrresh

im prepping with my group right now for a project...shooting in 2 weeks..2 8 hour days...directing is cool but for me it really depends on the script...its sorta like being an actor...like good dialogue and good story will make your film a success. If your dialogue is shit and the story is fucked...your gonna have a tough time. This is probably another reason why I want to write because there are so many shitty movies out there with dialogue that sounds like it's coming from a robot, haha. Do what you like though...find something you love and make connections, like as many as you can, thats probably one of the most important things to do in this crazy industry.

cheers
February 13, 2010 @ 05:10 PM
Leviathan

^so is this for school or is it somethin your doing independently? and btw how much does making a film differ when being made in school than one being made professionaly?
February 13, 2010 @ 08:41 PM
frrresh

its for school..but I try to work with people outside of school when I have time but it's hard to get a group of people together to create something that they arnt being paid for,etc but its still good to do that. It's different especially regarding your budget. If you are working independently with others sometimes everyone contributes or you borrow the money from people,etc...whatever it takes to finance your film. I'm the production designer for my current project and so I was given a good chunk of our 250.00 budget from our school for props,set dec,etc. Obviously in a school project your not gonna be given a huge ass budget but for features, commercials, etc your given a lot more such as a bigger budget, more professional/experienced crew, possible studio financing/marketing,etc...i can go on and on...

cheers
February 14, 2010 @ 12:06 AM
Failure Pt.4

I'm probably going to film school next year

holla @ me niggga, we can shoot some music videoscool
February 15, 2010 @ 03:21 PM
Leviathan

its for school..but I try to work with people outside of school when I have time but it's hard to get a group of people together to create something that they arnt being paid for,etc but its still good to do that. It's different especially regarding your budget. If you are working independently with others sometimes everyone contributes or you borrow the money from people,etc...whatever it takes to finance your film. I'm the production designer for my current project and so I was given a good chunk of our 250.00 budget from our school for props,set dec,etc. Obviously in a school project your not gonna be given a huge ass budget but for features, commercials, etc your given a lot more such as a bigger budget, more professional/experienced crew, possible studio financing/marketing,etc...i can go on and on...

cheers

yeah i figured the biggest difference was gonna budget. but as far as filming goes, are you guys being taught during filming or is putting somethin together like a test or somethin?
and also, what kind of projects do you guys do, do you only make short flims or what?
February 15, 2010 @ 04:36 PM
frrresh

Well we get taught way before how to shoot...like cinematography, angles, lighting,props, screenwriting,etc...like basically all of our first semester was dedicated towards learning the equipment and whatnot. We had 3 main films in semester 1 and in second semester we have 2 main films...both of which are marked harder and we get better equipment to use as well.

cheers

Please login first to reply.