Labor Day - Enjoy 25% Off Your Order. Use code: LABORDAY25
April 24, 2013 @ 08:00 AM
THEYCALLMEVINCE

About me:

A designer by trade currently forfeiting a year of my life to "ad school" to learn problem solving and being stupid for the sake of creativity. One of thirteen artists, writers, designers, poets, entrepreneurs, and schemers working together on a range of creative and client-based endeavors.

My personal:

www.theycallmevince.com
www.dribbble.com/theycallmevince
www.iamvince.tumblr.com

I also help run the social media for the "school" I'm in:

www.wk12.com (under construction)
www.wk12.tumblr.com

Art Director // Illustrator // Nacho Enthusiast // www.THEYCALLMEVINCE.com

May 12, 2013 @ 12:11 AM
forrestplump

draft me to dribbble!
May 12, 2013 @ 02:39 AM
bnj

looking pretty good, but i feel like with some more time/experience you'll be able to really stand out from the pack. 
a simple suggestion for now would be: since your designs are more on the bold/not crazy detailed tip, what about taking them out of AI/PS? doing some construction paper cut outs, stencils, stuff like that, to use the source material as a texture/color might be a fun way to add a little something to your work. 

http://www.benjaminescobar.com

May 12, 2013 @ 04:47 AM
THEYCALLMEVINCE

@edwinlaroo I created a minisite that answered questions they asked for the application submission.  Other than that, what I posted here was basically what I included in my application.  

@forrestplump Can't draft yet.  Sorry.

@bnj Thanks.  I know my style is simple, but I'm currently trying better ways to add textures via PS brushes to my work.  It's coming along.  I'm also trying to get better with my x-acto skills so my collages look better as well. HAHA.

May 12, 2013 @ 04:22 PM
DStyles

I actually prefer simplicity over something that has so much detail. 

Simplicity is sometimes better.

Nice work btw.

Last.fm - DStyles23 Xbox Live GT: DStyles23

May 12, 2013 @ 08:27 PM
bnj

oh not a diss on simple (theres a reason its K.I.S.S = keep is simple, stupid, not K.I.C.S = keep it complicated, stupid), just a suggestion on how to push it to the next level : ) 

http://www.benjaminescobar.com

May 12, 2013 @ 11:03 PM
&bullshit

Nice work. 
I actually just got into the BFA program at CSULB.
Do you have any words of advice as to what I should expect?

http://92riots.tumblr.com/

May 13, 2013 @ 01:45 AM
THEYCALLMEVINCE

@&bullshit The most important thing to do is have fun with it.  Get to learn to love your classmates because you'll be with them for two years.  They will be the ones you collaborate with, work with, and be the source of you wanting to be better.  Plus, once the program is over, they'll look out for you and help you because they know the best how you work as a person and in a team, so if they find a cool gig that they don't want, they'll pass it to you—it happens more than you think.

In the worst case, if you don't love your classmates, damn sure, you better respect them professionally and never try burn a bridge anywhere.  The design community is smaller than people think, people are connected in ways never thought of, so if you burn a bridge with someone, they might know someone at an agency/design studio you really want to work at and your bad reputation will hurt you.  I've seen it happen.  It's not pretty.

Lastly, experiment with your design as much as possible. You can't flunk out of that program—well, it's actually pretty damn hard to flunk out of that program—so push your design to the edge because it's easier to tone down rather than try to push a lackluster design.  Andrew Byrom and Margaret Black are the two best professors at helping you figure out ways to push your work and your way of thinking.

Please login first to reply.