Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
December 12, 2012 @ 04:48 AM
Backspace

Do we have anybody on HB interested in Industrial Design? Can we get this thread going?

Thread is for:
Critiquing designs, expressing design taste/opinion, thoughts, general design related discussion

Products: electronics, furniture, footwear, appliances, lighting, general household goods. etc

Transportation: automotive, boats, motorcycles, atvs, public transportation. etc

Also, If you are a student, professional, hobbyist etc and would like to get feedback on sketches, projects, presentations, etc feel free to share. Hopefully this thread can take off and be useful for anyone design conscious. Would be great to have a little helpful community here.
December 14, 2012 @ 06:22 AM
Black Jew

good thread, but i dont think anyone is into that here. I'm more graphic design myself.

I'm curious to see your work though, Mr. Art center
December 14, 2012 @ 08:33 AM
Backspace

Technically im not in Art Center's full time day program yet. I've been taking classes at Art Center's public programs to prep your skill and portfolio for admissions. I have yet to get started on my actual portfolio projects though; gonna try to apply in October.

some random things i did on my wall at the moment. All 12"x18" maker, pastel, pencil renderings and other little random hand done sketches/renderings except the blue/greenish robot thing environment one done in photoshop for the hell of it.

if u wanna see any close ups of anything lemme know. i got hundreds of other pages, sketches, projects etc. 
Backspace

triple post.
Backspace

smh triple post.
December 14, 2012 @ 10:32 PM
Black Jew

goddamn. everything is cool
silver porche looking one is coolcool

info on how long you been at it. 

and close up on the red one far left back view.

big ups.
December 14, 2012 @ 10:32 PM
Black Jew

dubblepost.
December 15, 2012 @ 05:28 AM
Backspace

pic above was part of a mini project for class. wheels look a bit wonky. need to fix a few things. ACCD only takes about 15-20 students per term for each industrial design major so competition is real high. Aiming for scholarship cus theres no way in hell i can afford that school. I been at it for about 2 years. Usually takes a person 1-2 years of prep before getting good enough to apply. They want to see a porfolio with several projects that demonstrate design process: research(target consumer profiles, occupant packaging, innovative use of technologies, etc) ideations, sketches, form development, renderings etc. not just pretty pictures. Need to think of impressive worthwhile concepts to devote my time to. Not sure what yet though.
December 16, 2012 @ 04:34 AM
Koven

Nice pics OP  

I do this on the engineering side where there is not that much room for creativity when you have a limited budget.  

Still though, its amazing feeling seeing something that came from your mind actually be made. 

I spent like two months working on something for work only to have the idea get scrapped by my boss because it was going to cost too much to be made. 

all I do is sip espressos and listen to AZ -mrelllis.tumblr.com

December 16, 2012 @ 08:55 AM
Backspace

Love that Gina concept. Really thought my eyes were deceiving me when i first saw a still image of one of it's doors open. Definitely an interesting innovative concept that aside from the reduction of weight benefit also allows for dynamic changing forms on the fly. Wouldn't feel entirely safe in that car as it is lol, The skin would definitely need some sort layer underneath like tightly woven Kevlar to protect against punctures while keeping it flexible.

Definitely agree on seeing what was once a concept turn into reality. Sure it doesn't happen all the time due to many factors that could side against the idea but it's a great feeling when something actually gets realized. 

I think this is brilliant. A chair to a bench and everything in between. Only question is how long it would last? And if mass produced how cheap would it be cus im down to get one . Chair is called "Flexible Love"

December 16, 2012 @ 01:41 PM
nfairmax

i want that in my bathroom
December 19, 2012 @ 11:46 AM
Wash Pahpin

did we just become best friends? I am an ID major

washpahpin.com

December 20, 2012 @ 12:32 AM
Backspace

^ dope man! where are you studying ID?
December 23, 2012 @ 11:21 AM
Koven

all I do is sip espressos and listen to AZ -mrelllis.tumblr.com

December 26, 2012 @ 05:02 AM
Minn.Sam

Oh wow this is crazy.I'm glad I found this thread. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do for a while, now I'm almost certain. I'm just now working on my sketching skills but I've always sketched random ideas I have. Is it really that difficult to get in an ID school? I live in the Midwest. I was also interested in architecture. I've heard quite a few people get an architecture degree then delve into careers like ID.  

coup.headops@gmail.com

January 6, 2013 @ 08:08 AM
Wash Pahpin

^ dope man! where are you studying ID?
Philly!

washpahpin.com

January 13, 2013 @ 03:06 PM
zacktaylor

This is definitely something i want to pursue, i'm in the UK so i think Coventry Uni would be the best option for me. I'm not the greatest artist, although i've started to try and draw cars/concept cars recently. Any tips with working with angles and proportions?
January 21, 2013 @ 05:20 AM
Black Jew

thread needs moar pics, @backspace come thru.
January 25, 2013 @ 03:44 PM
runa

I designed this bookholder named RUNA.

Check more details on our website under the Organic Anagram Industries.
January 26, 2013 @ 06:03 AM
hoodantics

the marker renderings are excellent. I am also an ID major.
February 4, 2013 @ 10:38 PM
Wash Pahpin

Nice idea I just wonder how it would effect the binding over time, probably a non factor though.

I don't have much up online right now but here is a project that got on Yanko and Divice

http://www.dvice.com/archives/2012/08/this-is-the-sel.php

http://www.yankodesign.com/2012/07/18/digital-masseuse/

washpahpin.com

March 15, 2013 @ 06:47 AM
Backspace

Don't want to let this thread go to waste.  Might post some stuff soon. What's everyone been up to or checked out lately?
March 19, 2013 @ 02:13 AM
gamesnacks

I love the school of industrial design. I have always been interested in it. I am a graphic and web designer. I like engineering and design so it seems natural that I would have an interest in industrial design. One thing that I like to study is the European industrial design. I'm into furniture and product design. The thing that I love about it is being in control of helping people utilize an object in the most unique, efficient or comfortable way. Like I said, I am a graphic and web designer, but I do find myself developing ideas for product design. I will keep my eye out for anything I can post here.
March 19, 2013 @ 06:16 AM
mike who

Anyone have any recommendations of inspirational or just generally intriguing movies/documentaries/sites/blogs/etc.?
March 21, 2013 @ 01:00 PM
Backspace

Cool movie/documentary:

websites:
-Products
www.wallpaper.com
www.core77.com
www.coroflot.com

-Transportation:
www.simkom.com/sketchsite (real cool)
www.carbodydesign.com
www.cardesignnews.com
http://www.cardesigncommunity.com

There's tons more. Let me know if you guys know any more sites or vids.

What kind of blogs are you guys into? (product/ transportation/ etc) I know of some student car design blogs but I'll ask my product design major friends for their favorite blogs.
March 26, 2013 @ 07:20 AM
gvto-

Damn those car sketches look amazing! I always wish I had the creativity for this sort of thing, but alas I don't so I'll stick with business haha.
April 1, 2013 @ 06:10 PM
Black Jew

April 2, 2013 @ 06:41 AM
Backspace

Damn that's some dope stuff, good find!
April 30, 2013 @ 07:19 PM
Jonathan Igharas

Spread the word folks! THE DJ TRIKE is on Kickstarter! Help support this pedal-powered soundsystem, #soundtravel cycling initiative and public art project! Word on the street is that it's "soundtravelin" down the westcoast of the USA. kck.st/XYdRqC http://www.vimeo.com/64929328
May 2, 2013 @ 04:37 AM
anyxco

Dope work man. I'm studying Interior Design in VA but I already know Product or Industrial design is for me. where'd you learn to render?! your skills are dope. keep up the good work.

@anyx_co

Please login first to reply.