January 16, 2009 @ 04:16 PM
SSBSTS

the way i see it, she did you a favor. kept you from being one of those assholes who cuff to show off the selvedge edge.
January 16, 2009 @ 09:20 PM
RichyNguyen

Sorry to hear that, bro.
January 16, 2009 @ 09:27 PM
AfrocentricPatrick

There is no such thing as a selvedge finish, what are you even talking about? If you bought jeans because they are selvedge, then you are a moron. The finish of the jean is exactly the same. Are you mad because you can't cuff your jeans and show off the selvedge seam that noone around you will ever notice? Fail.
January 16, 2009 @ 09:30 PM
tommyroks

shouldve done your research on who to go. Some tailor specialized in denim. At this point, they aint gona give your money for the jeans. A. You can return the jeans and pretend you got it like that B. Suck it up and wear it.
January 16, 2009 @ 09:48 PM
winter

boohoo, no1s going to approve of my denim gamez now cuz i cant cuff to boast my visible selvage.

but seriously man.. the denim is the same, its still going to fade the same.
just dont cuff.

its like that for people wearing new cure apcs.. it doesnt have a visible selvage but ppl still wear it because its good denim.
January 16, 2009 @ 10:17 PM
snuff_daddy

Kick in the door wavin the fo'-fo'
January 16, 2009 @ 10:23 PM
kdiddy

Should have sent them to BIG.
January 16, 2009 @ 11:28 PM
Jim Jardashian

Your e-cred went below negative, because you lack a selvedge finish.
January 16, 2009 @ 11:30 PM
Jip

There is no such thing as a selvedge finish, what are you even talking about? If you bought jeans because they are selvedge, then you are a moron. The finish of the jean is exactly the same. Are you mad because you can't cuff your jeans and show off the selvedge seam that noone around you will ever notice? Fail.

To each his own, but, it's not about who's going to notice...It has more to do with the fact that I spent time and a significant ammount of money finding two pairs of denim that had everything I was looking for in their design, and after paying to have a service performed on them that time and a large portion the money was wasted because a aspect of the design that I place value in was removed.

Obviously I'm not going to change anyone's mind on the value of a particular seam, but you have to respect the fact that a service I was paying for was performed incorrectly, and should be fixed. That's been my point from the beginning, that services are only valuable if they're performed to the satisfaction of the customer. I guess this is what seperates them from products... You can't pick up a service and hold it and turn it over in your hands before you decide if you're going to buy it

Your e-cred went below negative, because you lack a selvedge finish.

You live in a pretty small world if you're measured by what you're wearing
January 16, 2009 @ 11:54 PM
st3p.

You live in a pretty small world if you're measured by what you're wearing

Hypebeast is based on measuring people by what they wear.
January 17, 2009 @ 12:01 AM
Asami

People have to start reading, it's not about whether the jeans are truly ruined, or whether to topicstarter is stupid for buying expensive jeans, it's about the fact that you ask for a certain service, they do not supply said service, and the ts is asking advice where he stands regarding refunds/replacements.

I personally think you should try to work out a middle plan, ask for a partial refund. It shows good will from your side, which in general gets you further than threatening and such.
January 17, 2009 @ 12:13 AM
Jip

Hypebeast is based on measuring people by what they wear.

I disagree. Hypebeast is about sharing global street style, and exposing people to new ways of wearing clothes or new spins on old fits.

If personal style were about meeting the expectations of the guy next door everyone would look exactly the same and the topic would die.

People have to start reading, it's not about whether the jeans are truly ruined, or whether to topicstarter is stupid for buying expensive jeans, it's about the fact that you ask for a certain service, they do not supply said service, and the ts is asking advice where he stands regarding refunds/replacements.

I personally think you should try to work out a middle plan, ask for a partial refund. It shows good will from your side, which in general gets you further than threatening and such.

I've talked it over with a few people, and this is probably how i'm going to go about it. Like I said I'm not trying to screw some small time tailor out of a weeks pay
January 17, 2009 @ 09:13 AM
AfrocentricPatrick

You are trying to screw them. Your jeans are fine. The seam on the inside that noone will be able to see is cinched. She probably did it that way because she has more common sense than you do. Selvedge denim is not purchased for the selvedge seam, its purchased for the way the denim fades/looks.
January 17, 2009 @ 11:55 AM
Zion

Why did you leave the store? You should've asked to speak to her manager/supervisor and explained the situation.

True.
January 17, 2009 @ 12:01 PM
Jip

You are trying to screw them. Your jeans are fine. The seam on the inside that noone will be able to see is cinched. She probably did it that way because she has more common sense than you do. Selvedge denim is not purchased for the selvedge seam, its purchased for the way the denim fades/looks.

Clearly you and I think about this differently. You only placing value in how the jeans will fit and fade i'm looking at both of those factors but also how the jeans are put together, specifically the quality of the stitching, denim gague, and finishing details.

See you have to consider the fact that you and I don't shop for denim the same way. I'm not trying to knock your sensibilities (or hers) I'm just dissatisfied with a service that she performed, and I'm trying to figure out how I should handle the situation.
January 17, 2009 @ 12:04 PM
AfrocentricPatrick

you should handle it with a noose and a chair.
January 17, 2009 @ 12:23 PM
KALiKUSH

You could make this argument about anything expensive. Why do people line up for jordans, they're still only mass produced nikes? The answer will always be that there is something about the luxury product that makes it worth investing in, in this case it was the quality of build and attention to detail, contrast chainstitching on the leg closure, selvedge finish, ect.

You're a perfect example of the one of those simple schmucks that would be willing to spend huge ammounts of time and money following clothes without understanding why it is that they cost as much as they do. It's design detail; and she fucked a big part of what went into that detail in these two pairs of denim

ORLY?
i dont line up for shit
and thanks but im not a 'perfect example of the one of those simple schmucks' cuz i dont spend 'huge ammounts of time and money following clothes' cuz i see what i like and i get it.

kthxbai.
January 17, 2009 @ 12:26 PM
TheCityOfChi

Kick in the door wavin the fo'-fo'

upon further review this is the best responce, w.w.b.d.
January 17, 2009 @ 12:31 PM
Jip

ORLY?
i dont line up for shit
kthxbai.

The line for jordans was used a a hypothetical contradiction to the argument you made. If you can't appreciate that then well whatever, It's not worth arguing the point with you

and thanks but im not a 'perfect example of the one of those simple schmucks' cuz i dont spend 'huge ammounts of time and money following clothes' cuz i see what i like and i get it.

and yet you have +500 posts in a street fashion forum...
January 17, 2009 @ 02:10 PM

Inactive

you really take this shit too seriously
January 17, 2009 @ 02:21 PM
Evolve

Thats why you find a tailor thats YOUR tailor. My tailor is Essy's Tailoring in Fremont, Cali. She does an amazing job at hemming/tapering, and follows exactly what you say. I found out about her when I was getting my suit tailored for Prom, she did Vera Wangs wedding dress. Anyways, She is good, not very costly (my taperings cost $15-$20), and she isn't asian. Asian dry cleaners/alterations always fuck up my shit =/ so i don't trust any of them places anymore.
January 18, 2009 @ 06:45 PM
MJUsher

Does anyone know if its possible for a tailor to shorten around the crotch area? I hate my high rise cheap mondays sad
January 18, 2009 @ 11:00 PM
CONQ

Never let asian women do extensive tailoring work. If you want good results you gotta go to old italian/greek men
January 18, 2009 @ 11:45 PM
blazin_azin

Never let asian women do extensive tailoring work. If you want good results you gotta go to old italian/greek men

HAHA I agree
January 19, 2009 @ 12:56 AM
kvc06

Does anyone know if its possible for a tailor to shorten around the crotch area? I hate my high rise cheap mondays sad

aren't cheap mondays, well uhh... cheap?
just buy new ones because it would be expensive
January 20, 2009 @ 05:51 PM
MegatronDon

1) You're dumb for going to an tailor/alterations person that you don't trust.

2) You're a loser for being mad about the original hem of your pants removed.

Who cares about the kind of hem you have on your jeans anyway
It's really just denim nerds who think their special jeans make them cool, and most of them are really suspect, checking out what kind of jeans other men wear and such.

Live on
January 21, 2009 @ 12:38 PM
Jim Jardashian

Or the Japanese.
January 21, 2009 @ 05:08 PM
nucky

all about the fades anyway mang, unless both of those pairs aren't raw, haha.
January 21, 2009 @ 05:13 PM
tommyroks

we still on this shit?
Update on your jeans?
January 21, 2009 @ 05:57 PM
jessejessej

I had a similar problem..Last week got my apc NS's hemmed a couple inches and I noticed she cut the original leg opening (original stitching), cut the few inches off I requested, and then stitched the part with the original hem to the rest of the pants (with dark thread so it wouldn't be noticed)...pictures below..at first I was like wtf and yes the selvage line is fucked but im over it..I don't cuff them and the fit is still the same..these jeans didn't cost me too much anyway (can't say the same for you Jip)..I think the reason why everyone is contradicting your idea's Jip is because many here see getting jeans for the purpose of fucking them up and getting fades

and yes she was asian haha

Please login first to reply.