The Official Samurai Denim and Apparel Thread

July 29, 2011 @ 20:11:11 PM

Boom, samurai S5000GX-T!

Will update tomorrow with more pics of the fit/description, and measurements.

www.jacobskoglund.com | www.jacobsphotobooth.tumblr.com

July 29, 2011 @ 20:25:02 PM
^ denim looks dark as hell.
July 29, 2011 @ 20:36:22 PM
It is dark, but it actually isn't as blue as I thought it to be... it actually is more like purple.

Here are 2 close-ups.

July 30, 2011 @ 14:33:17 PM

Boom, samurai S5000GX-T!

Will update tomorrow with more pics of the fit/description, and measurements.

^ denim looks dark as hell.

It is dark, but it actually isn't as blue as I thought it to be... it actually is more like purple.

Here are 2 close-ups.

I have those too, and I agree, they are really dark and they look purple, not blue, when they are raw. They do look more blue as they fade, though.
July 30, 2011 @ 16:40:13 PM
I think its cause of the brown weft makes them look more like purple. They are starting to show signs of wear after one wear btw.

OK, here is the latest update on my pair.

Post soak:

Post soak fit (I think I am going to leave as is until I need to wash them).

Then after day 1

Now I just want to say a few things.. These things are f*cking tough! Damn, I thought my 18 oz S500JX-LRs hurt after their initial soak, but these things not only hurt but annoyed the crap out of me the whole day! Needless to say if you guys think I should do another soak I am not. My reason is that from what I have been reading their isn't much shrinkage in them, and I poured boiling water onto the jeans so if that won't shrink them after the first soak I highly doubt they will shrink that much. I think I could have sized down 1, but it is too late now (unless someone has a brand new pair they would be willing to trade) and even so I got a nice deal on them and like the fit.

Now I just gotta hit up BiG and get them hemmed from them.

Edit: Oh, and measurements:

Pre-
Waist: 15.5"
Inseam: 37"
Knee: 8.75"
Hem: 8.5"
Thigh: 11.5"
F. Rise: 10.25"

All the same except for the inseam shrunk 1" and the waist .25"

July 30, 2011 @ 16:43:36 PM
Great fit on those.
July 30, 2011 @ 18:05:35 PM
^awesome, loving it
July 30, 2011 @ 18:52:18 PM
thanks yeah I love these as well.

July 30, 2011 @ 23:40:00 PM
what is this like your 10th pair of denim that youre going to wear for a month and sell?
July 31, 2011 @ 06:40:12 AM
710s:

July 31, 2011 @ 20:09:05 PM
so i get my samurai 710s tomorrow, and i'm debating between a hot wash and a hot soak in boiling water. at the moment, i'm leaning towards a hot wash.

from searching this thread, it seems that hot washes get more shrink out but at what expense? will the jeans lose more indigo? on average, how many hot washes does it take before the shrink is out?

i've also noticed that using boiling water damages the patch. does any such damage happen after a hot wash? why would i want to do a hot soak rather than a hot wash?

thanks in advance.
July 31, 2011 @ 20:38:35 PM
^ Do a hot wash. Just make sure to take them out before the spin cycle, then hang dry outside. Usually takes around 2-3 hot washes to get full shrinkage, but you will get most of it with the first wash.

/

July 31, 2011 @ 22:34:27 PM
anyone know when BiG is getting a restock on the 710s?
August 01, 2011 @ 04:07:07 AM
^probably Gordon himself...but as he is in Japan right now, it may take some time till he answers you
August 01, 2011 @ 10:51:50 AM
so i get my samurai 710s tomorrow, and i'm debating between a hot wash and a hot soak in boiling water. at the moment, i'm leaning towards a hot wash.

from searching this thread, it seems that hot washes get more shrink out but at what expense? will the jeans lose more indigo? on average, how many hot washes does it take before the shrink is out?

i've also noticed that using boiling water damages the patch. does any such damage happen after a hot wash? why would i want to do a hot soak rather than a hot wash?

thanks in advance.

You'll lose a little more indigo with a hot wash, but you'll get a little more shrinkage. Also, with a wash, you'll get a whole bunch of little creases and scratches in the raw denim from the agitation of the machine. If that bugs you, do the hot soak instead, that seems to be the more popular way to go initially.

The hot wash won't damage the patch, though. Hot wash temperatures don't really get up near boiling, plus Samurai patches are thicker and more durable than most that I've seen.
August 01, 2011 @ 11:49:22 AM
scratches? what do you mean by that? and is that a result of the spin cycle?
August 01, 2011 @ 13:26:45 PM
scratches? what do you mean by that? and is that a result of the spin cycle?

Scratches are where something rubs up against the denim and takes a little bit of indigo off. I think they are from the washing agitation, not just the spin cycle.
August 01, 2011 @ 21:55:57 PM
how much do you guys think i should sell my S003JP's for? i wore them for maybe a month, not really any fading. Did a hot soak when I first got them. Theyre sz 29 and just don't fit right for me. What are they worth on the marketplace?
thanks
August 01, 2011 @ 23:43:49 PM
Scratches are where something rubs up against the denim and takes a little bit of indigo off. I think they are from the washing agitation, not just the spin cycle.

You don't know what you're talking about. Washing doesn't cause any scratches, creases or any noticeable indigo loss. These are durable jeans, not shitty Nudies.

Only thing I'd stay away from is the dryer. Be sure to air dry.

/

August 01, 2011 @ 23:46:46 PM

You don't know what you're talking about. Washing doesn't cause any scratches, creases or any noticeable indigo loss. These are durable jeans, not shitty Nudies.

/

August 02, 2011 @ 01:28:26 AM

Any kind of jeans will lose indigo from washing. That is how people bring out their fades. Samurais are known for fading fast, they will lose more indigo from a wash than Nudies would. That is why most Samurai owners soak instead of wash before wearing.
August 02, 2011 @ 01:55:45 AM
yes...washed 2 of my Samurais in the machine after an initial soak for more shrinkage. result was "marbling" and faded areas and lines all over the pair. I wouldn't recommend it as long as your washing machine is gentle
August 02, 2011 @ 03:09:15 AM
Any kind of jeans will lose indigo from washing. That is how people bring out their fades. Samurais are known for fading fast, they will lose more indigo from a wash than Nudies would. That is why most Samurai owners soak instead of wash before wearing.

Once again, you're completely wrong. If anything Samurai's are known for retaining indigo after numerous washes. Do some research, most experienced Samurai owners will wash their jeans before rather than soaking.

/

August 02, 2011 @ 03:15:32 AM
I own 13 pairs right now...experienced enough for you?
As long as you don't own a gentle washer, better soak twice and agitate by hand each time.

All I can say, my washer is too harsh and left faded spots on 2 of my pairs and that's why I stopped washing them to shrink them
August 02, 2011 @ 03:29:00 AM
Do what you want. But from personal experience and what I've read on the forums, washing works best.

Heres my pair post wash. Can you honestly tell that I washed? Do they look damaged/faded?

/

August 02, 2011 @ 03:30:48 AM
Do what you want. But from personal experience and what I've read on the forums, washing works best.

Heres my pair post wash. Can you honestly tell that I washed? Do they look damaged/faded?

Looks fine.
August 02, 2011 @ 03:44:04 AM
Once again, you're completely wrong. If anything Samurai's are known for retaining indigo after numerous washes. Do some research, most experienced Samurai owners will wash their jeans before rather than soaking.

No, I'm not. I've done plenty of research, I own 8 pairs of Samurais and have been wearing the brand for about 5 years now. Of all of the high-end denim brands, Samurai is well known for being among the fastest, if not the fastest, faders. That is part of why they are so popular, because people who buy a lot of jeans don't like to wait forever to get fading results. If you don't believe me, put up a poll in the superfuture denim forum, where all of the Samurai fanatics post, and see how many of them say that Samurais fade slowly compared to other high end denim brands.

yes...washed 2 of my Samurais in the machine after an initial soak for more shrinkage. result was "marbling" and faded areas and lines all over the pair. I wouldn't recommend it as long as your washing machine is gentle

I own 13 pairs right now...experienced enough for you?
As long as you don't own a gentle washer, better soak twice and agitate by hand each time.

All I can say, my washer is too harsh and left faded spots on 2 of my pairs and that's why I stopped washing them to shrink them

You've got more pairs of Samurais than me, but my experience with the washer is the exact same as yours, not just on Samurai, but on every brand of denim that I've machine washed.

I never said that washing would make the denim look "damaged", but I can honestly tell that you washed those jeans from your pic. All of those little creases spread throughout the denim from washing that I mentioned earlier are visible in your pic, they look like wrinkles. You don't get those when you just soak.
August 02, 2011 @ 03:50:25 AM

I already do what I want. And as I said MY personal experience wasn't a pleasant one so I stopped washing them. I just say that anyone has to consider what might happen
August 02, 2011 @ 10:40:23 AM
lol @ this noob arguing with b_f
August 02, 2011 @ 12:05:52 PM
My tab came off..T_________________T
Please login first to reply.
x