Small DENIM Questions Thread

July 26, 2011 @ 11:20:19 AM
Heavier the denim =?

Heavier denim is usually a lot more durable and they take longer to stretch out. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that denim weight has very much effect on the fades they produce. There are a lot of factors that go into how denim is spun, how indigo reacts to diff kinds of denim, wearer's lifestyle, etc.

I agree with everything above, except IME, heavier denim doesn't take any longer to stretch out than lighter denim, so long as their weave tensions are similar. Tighter-woven denim of any weight takes longer to stretch out, and stretches less, than looser-woven denim.

One thing that I do want to add is that heavier denim tends to be smoother, softer, and less slubby than lighter denim.
July 26, 2011 @ 14:41:44 PM
^That's right, again there are a lot of factors that contribute to how the denim will wear so denim weight doesn't matter too much. It makes sense that tighter-woven denim would take longer to stretch out. I guess it just depends on how many bruises you want on your legs :p
July 26, 2011 @ 17:49:27 PM
For those around LA, whats the best place to get jeans tailored? Denim Therapy (I think this one used to be called Denim Doctors)? Selfedge? Any others? Just looking for the best price to speed to quality combo. Anyone have some ideas...
July 27, 2011 @ 00:25:10 AM
Do only special tailors do chainstiched hems?
July 27, 2011 @ 01:12:14 AM
For those around LA, whats the best place to get jeans tailored? Denim Therapy (I think this one used to be called Denim Doctors)? Selfedge? Any others? Just looking for the best price to speed to quality combo. Anyone have some ideas...

Kind of depends on what work you want done. I'm more comfortable doing my own alterations but if you wanted a super deep taper and hem with seashell stitching you should go to the experts.

Usually but not always.
July 27, 2011 @ 03:09:28 AM
Contemplating getting a cheap hem from chinatown, will my selvage get fucked up?
July 27, 2011 @ 04:24:44 AM

You need special equipment (a Union Special or something similar) to do a chainstitch hem, and most tailors don't have this type of equipment. Therefore, tailors that do a chainstitch hem are uncommon, but there are enough of them around, and there are at least a few places that accept mail-ins if you can't find someone local to do this for you.

Contemplating getting a cheap hem from chinatown, will my selvage get fucked up?

No, it will be fine as long as they don't do the so-called "original hem".
July 27, 2011 @ 10:55:18 AM
^^ thanks. can anyone name a place that does mail-ins?
July 27, 2011 @ 13:00:43 PM

Denim Doctors and Blue in Green are both good ones that take mail-ins. Both are excellent and do a good job matching the thread of the original pre-existing hem.
July 27, 2011 @ 17:44:18 PM
Places in NYC to get PRPS, Neighborhood and Fenom jeans??

cheers!
July 27, 2011 @ 22:16:32 PM
Why are my stacks not symmetrical? Right leg looks awesome, left looks sloppy. Normal or are my legs weird?
July 28, 2011 @ 00:06:34 AM
It's normal. Wabi-sabi.
July 28, 2011 @ 00:38:16 AM
You need special equipment (a Union Special or something similar) to do a chainstitch hem, and most tailors don't have this type of equipment. Therefore, tailors that do a chainstitch hem are uncommon, but there are enough of them around, and there are at least a few places that accept mail-ins if you can't find someone local to do this for you.

No, it will be fine as long as they don't do the so-called "original hem".
O gosh that happened to me on my PBJs luckily theres still alot of length left to get rid of it, need to drop it off at selfedge. It's soooo ugly. Good tailors did it, but just a naturally ugly hem.
July 28, 2011 @ 13:39:11 PM
http://hypebeast.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156219

Question and pics are in that thread. Need help!!!
July 29, 2011 @ 11:30:39 AM

Blue Owl Workshop and all the Self Edge (NY,SF,LA) locations also do mail-ins!
July 29, 2011 @ 11:39:46 AM
Places in NYC to get PRPS, Neighborhood and Fenom jeans??

cheers!

I don't think anyone in NYC carries Neighborhood since Union NY closed. Couldn't find much on Fenom either.

Here are the stockists of PRPS in NYC!

Atrium
644 Broadway

Barney's
575 5th ave

Scoop
532 Broadway, 4th floor
July 29, 2011 @ 17:05:52 PM
Will raw denim leave stains on light colored leather car seats? Specifically NF denim.
July 29, 2011 @ 17:19:59 PM
@orucker
its normal, especially the wider leg opening.

@gnu
call up Gary's Custom Tailoring & Boutique in Westwood. those "denim professionals" are overpriced.

@indofulioh
i doubt it, unless your shifting all over the seat.
but if you're nervous, bring something to sit on (cushion, tshirt, towel..etc)

--------
i have a pair of lightweight raw denim. whats a good way to form good creases and combs on it? i thought about putting it on and spraying water on the vital spots (bottom of leg, waist, back of knee) and wearing it for the day to help the folds set.
July 30, 2011 @ 01:46:24 AM
@indofulioh don't worry about any denim bleeding on your seats. I have an s2000 with tan seats and have been sitting on it like everyday for a year with my nf jeans and nothing has happened. I live in Vancouver too where it rains a loooot, and still nothing so you should be good. There are a lot of leather car cleaners that work crazy well too if any does go on it a little bit, so don't worry about it!

@lwkeung i need a pair of lightweights for this summer man haha, which ones do you have? Best way to get some combs and other creases on lighter denim is starching them. Starch makes em crispy and allows you to get those deep creases. It's pretty easy too, like you said you're gonna wanna spray the parts where you want the contrast to show in the creases a little more, but instead of plain water its best to create a starch water mixture. Get some warm/hot water and gradually put a few teaspoons of corn starch so it doesn't clump or you can buy starch spray, whatever your preference is.. and just spray the areas you want there to be some better creases. Then wear them and let the creases form. Hope that helps!
July 30, 2011 @ 14:17:54 PM
Blue Owl Workshop and all the Self Edge (NY,SF,LA) locations also do mail-ins!

Actually, Self Edge only accepts mail-ins for hemming if the jeans were purchased directly from them. They will not do mail order hemming on jeans purchased elsewhere.

Will raw denim leave stains on light colored leather car seats? Specifically NF denim.

I've had it happen.
July 30, 2011 @ 15:30:42 PM
Actually, Self Edge only accepts mail-ins for hemming if the jeans were purchased directly from them. They will not do mail order hemming on jeans purchased elsewhere.

Right! Thanks for clarification!
August 06, 2011 @ 04:59:12 AM
starch.
starch is what makes your jeans stiff and if they aren't stiff anymore makes sense to add some right? haha. be careful tho sometimes it can really stink.. you could try some spray starches like Faultless, Niagra Spray Starch, Dr. Beckmann, and Easy On Double Starch, or you could try and mix some starch and water yourself and spray it on your jeans. spray it on your jeans fully or just the spots you want to reform shape (honeycombs, whiskers, etc) until damp, then wear them for a little so it forms better or just let them hang out. either way, starching is a great way to bring back the rigidness of your jeans

Thanks. I'm gonna try this one.

August 06, 2011 @ 13:37:02 PM
Can i dry clean my trues? and when i do will they shrink? i dnt wanna fuck em up but i had em for a minute
August 06, 2011 @ 15:12:28 PM
Can i dry clean my trues? and when i do will they shrink? i dnt wanna fuck em up but i had em for a minute

Yes, you can, and no, they won't really shrink.
August 07, 2011 @ 11:49:26 AM
Thanks. I'm gonna try this one.
starch is bad for your jeans as well
August 07, 2011 @ 21:03:25 PM
starch is bad for your jeans as well

This is true as well. Don't abuse the starch, too much can weaken the denim and make them more susceptible to tears. Apparently starch attracts bacteria because they love to feed on it so too much starch can make your jeans start to reek. It's probably better to let the jeans be but if you really, really want the rigidity back, by all means.
August 09, 2011 @ 01:25:21 AM
Is sea wash healthy for your denim( i heard tgere are lots of rips and tears, favrics being looser, etc)? I plan on wearing for a long time. Debating if i should sea or woolite. Sea washing seems interesting hmm
August 09, 2011 @ 02:05:32 AM
Nothing wrong with sea wash; only thing might be is when you rub sand on them might cause the stitching to wear off, also the smell of your jeans might be a little bad.

I'd think seawashing gives your denim a different appeal; don't be afraid to experiment with your denim

IG - @SEANLEQUANG OG 2007 HB FINESSE

August 09, 2011 @ 12:02:23 PM
What makes a pair of jeans quality? is it just construction and the denim used? or is there something eles to it?

edit: is raw usually better than washed?

hndlz.tumblr.com

August 09, 2011 @ 22:14:17 PM
Most people consider cotton wovens to be 'high quality' if they are finely spun, soft, and durable.
But a lot of denim enthusiasts think the exact opposite (rough/scratchy, heavy). Raw vs washes and everything else you ask is really preference.
Please login first to reply.
x