Small DENIM Questions Thread

June 26, 2011 @ 01:15:17 AM
i just bought a pair of brand new apc ns,but they were folded up in my bag on the way home and i took them out and they have defined fold creases. would it make sense to take the denim to an ironing board and iron out the creases before i start wearing them or would it damage the denim

The heat might deform the denim. APCs are sanforized but idk if you wanna try it. It is probably OK to iron them out if you really want to.

Maybe the folds are more drastic than I think? My APCs had creases when I first got 'em too cause they were in the middle of a folded pile of APCs but I had no problem after a wear.

I wouldn't risk it, those creases will probably subside after a few hours any way so I'd play it safe and just leave 'em alone.
June 26, 2011 @ 15:13:29 PM
thanks
June 26, 2011 @ 18:33:12 PM
Sizing off other pairs is always a hard thing to do, for the 5000's did you size down any? I think normally people size down one. So from that I guess you'd either get a 36 in the 710, and if you didn't size down in the 5000's then get the 35 in the 710's. The 710 cut is already slimmer and more tapered than the 5000's so you don't need to size down in order for the slim fit. It sounds like you'd be closer to a 35 though since you were already considering a 34, but just double check your waist measurements and go off that. Going tts on the 710's will give you the nice slim but comfy look, and sizing down would be recommended more for skinnier built people to still give them the slim comfy look

thank you i went with a 35 for the 710s since its the closest to 34
June 27, 2011 @ 12:56:27 PM
should i do a pre wear soak for sanforized denim like apc

With sanforized denim, soaking is optional. There are some benefits to soaking, such as increasing the life of the denim and stitching on the jeans, but there are some drawbacks as well, such as losing the initial sheen and smoothness of the denim and potentially having a little less contrast in your fades.

i just bought a pair of brand new apc ns,but they were folded up in my bag on the way home and i took them out and they have defined fold creases. would it make sense to take the denim to an ironing board and iron out the creases before i start wearing them or would it damage the denim

You can iron out the creases if they bother you, it won't damage the denim.

hey guys im debating if i should get a size 34 or 35 samurai 710s.... but i cant decide.. i want it to be slim but comfurtable.. i cant fit a 33 for sure.. and i own a pair of s5000 fire element in 35(hotwash) and the waist is alright but i want the whole leg to be more slim n tapered ... and i got 35 because i sag a little can someone please help...

nohomo but i want it to fit like this http://i34.tinypic.com/2462fwm.jpg

IME, the 710 tends to run a little bit smaller than the 5000, so between the two sizes you mentioned, the 35 would probably be the better of the two.
July 03, 2011 @ 15:45:52 PM
Where can i get my shit hemmed? If i got to a regular place will they do anything to the selvedge?
July 03, 2011 @ 17:11:10 PM
how much will my skulls 5010XX 6x6 shrink if I dry it on high heat in the dryer after a machine wash?

if it matters, its the old cotton from couple years back. theyve been worn in for a while and I think I lost some weight in the waist. Trying to shrink the waist about half an inch or something. never washed before either.

X

July 05, 2011 @ 10:26:46 AM
Where can i get my shit hemmed? If i got to a regular place will they do anything to the selvedge?

Just about any tailor can hem a pair of jeans. If you want it done really nicely, you'll have to find a place that does chainstitching. If you can't find a place locally, I would recommend the Denim Doctors at the Hollywood Trading Company, they do a real good job, and they accept mail-ins.

Hemming doesn't affect the selvage at all, even if you have it done at a regular place.

how much will my skulls 5010XX 6x6 shrink if I dry it on high heat in the dryer after a machine wash?

if it matters, its the old cotton from couple years back. theyve been worn in for a while and I think I lost some weight in the waist. Trying to shrink the waist about half an inch or something. never washed before either.

If you've never soaked or washed before, you can just machine wash the jeans. With Skulls, the denim is partially sanforized, so you'll get some shrinkage (about 1" in the waist) just by washing. No need to tumble dry if you are just trying to shrink by a half-inch or so.
July 06, 2011 @ 03:24:11 AM

yeah any regular place will do a hem, but if you wanted a chain stitch it will be a little harder to find. Check out holy stitch (@holystitch) they tweet a lot and its probably easiest to contact them and stuff from there. But yeah they work with selfedge and do amazing amazing work. Selvedge wont be affected by hemming, but will be if you wanted to taper, etc.
July 07, 2011 @ 02:23:04 AM
yea sure
July 07, 2011 @ 15:47:07 PM
How can I prevent APC jeans from fading into white shoes?
July 07, 2011 @ 15:50:19 PM
^ Its new standard if that helps ^
July 07, 2011 @ 16:20:38 PM

cuff them
July 08, 2011 @ 00:26:22 AM
my skulls are too worn out now, looking to get new jeans (below $300). any brand/model suggestions? slim/skinny denim btw
July 08, 2011 @ 03:12:16 AM

Caleb is right, you can cuff them.

Another option is to do a vinegar-water mixture soak. Dip the bottom of the jeans (or the whole thing if you want) into a bucket of vinegar-water mixture for a while. The vinegar helps to set the indigo but you still may have a little bleeding.

You can also take some masking tape and tape the inside of the cuff so the denim won't rub onto the shoe.

Doing an early wash can also help to release "loose" indigo and minimize future bleeding.

my skulls are too worn out now, looking to get new jeans (below $300). any brand/model suggestions? slim/skinny denim btw

What are you going to do with those beautiful skulls?!

Check out the Tellason Ladbroke Grove or the John Graham Mellor! $200
July 08, 2011 @ 14:14:25 PM
Caleb is right, you can cuff them.

Another option is to do a vinegar-water mixture soak. Dip the bottom of the jeans (or the whole thing if you want) into a bucket of vinegar-water mixture for a while. The vinegar helps to set the indigo but you still may have a little bleeding.

You can also take some masking tape and tape the inside of the cuff so the denim won't rub onto the shoe.

Doing an early wash can also help to release "loose" indigo and minimize future bleeding.

How much vinegar how much water into the vinager-water mixture but thanx for the advice ill try them out
July 10, 2011 @ 04:45:01 AM
Use a large bucket filled with 2 quarts of water and 1/2 - 1 cup of white vinegar. Fully emerge your jeans in the water-vinegar mixture for about 24 hours to allow the vinegar to get through the denim. Vinegar is a natural softener so they may feel softer after the soak.

You can do a cold tub soak w/ detergent after the vinegar soak, again to release "loose" indigo and lose the vinegar scent.

Let me know how it goes!
July 10, 2011 @ 16:41:35 PM
^ alrite thanx
July 12, 2011 @ 15:30:58 PM
Should i wear a belt? i haven't worn a belt with my unbranded denim ever and i've noticed that the waist started to stretch a little bit and my knee doesn't really line up with my original fading honeycombs anymore... is it better if i were to pull my pants up and belt it or just to let it sag a little bit?
July 13, 2011 @ 02:39:48 AM
Is your ass hanging out? And is it uncomfortable? I'd say get a belt, some tanner or corter leather baaaby! If you are worried about the fades tho, they'll eventually settle in and your knee area will just become a larger faded area over time, and new honeycombs will set as well. But if you want to keep the same fades going and bring out more contrast then wearing them the same way will help. So my advice is go get an awesome belt that ages as well as your jeans do and keep wearing them like you have been!
July 13, 2011 @ 15:52:57 PM
Ben Sherman Raw Denim or Unbrandeds?

InternetEnlightenment.tumblr.com → KoFax

July 14, 2011 @ 04:39:22 AM
^No experience with Ben Sherman raw denim and there isn't much information about them but the Unbrandeds are very nice! Check out: http://www.withoutwash.com/
July 16, 2011 @ 18:04:08 PM
today i got some Nudies Grim Tim's in 28 x 34 but my true waist size is 30, will these stretch in the waist?

hb fell off / justinlifestyle.tumblr.com

July 18, 2011 @ 14:08:09 PM
I have a pair of Levis Matchstick Kaihara selvedge, knee down it's too baggy, would i be able to taper 1/2 an inch from the knee down from the inside seam, without it looking too weird? I also intend on cuffing.

nyannyanpartycat.tumblr.com/

July 18, 2011 @ 15:35:11 PM
I have a pair of Levis Matchstick Kaihara selvedge, knee down it's too baggy, would i be able to taper 1/2 an inch from the knee down from the inside seam, without it looking too weird? I also intend on cuffing.

That should look fine.
July 19, 2011 @ 10:43:41 AM
ok so im watching a pair of diors on ebay that i wanted and the seller mentioned they were hemmed so i asked him what they were hemmed to and he says "the outer seam is approx 102cm."

so maybe im a moron but 102 cm = 40inches? what does he mean by this, the outer seam is dif from the length im assuming but what would it come out to? like a 34 length?
July 19, 2011 @ 10:52:56 AM
ok so im watching a pair of diors on ebay that i wanted and the seller mentioned they were hemmed so i asked him what they were hemmed to and he says "the outer seam is approx 102cm."

so maybe im a moron but 102 cm = 40inches? what does he mean by this, the outer seam is dif from the length im assuming but what would it come out to? like a 34 length?

He's probably measuring from the top of the waistband to the hem along the outer leg seam. Ask him to measure on the inner leg seam from the crotch to the hem.

Or, if you know the back rise measurement, you can subtract that number from the outseam measurement to get a rough idea of the inseam.

Either way, I think these have a short leg. Possibly 30" at most, more likely shorter than that.
July 25, 2011 @ 22:48:45 PM
Heavier the denim =?

This post is hidden due to user account is no longer active or improper post content.

July 26, 2011 @ 02:37:29 AM
ive always worn APC's and i just spent the extra money at SelfEdge in LA and copped some Imperials x SelfEdge and they are best jeans ever
July 26, 2011 @ 04:32:21 AM
Heavier the denim =?

Heavier denim is usually a lot more durable and they take longer to stretch out. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that denim weight has very much effect on the fades they produce. There are a lot of factors that go into how denim is spun, how indigo reacts to diff kinds of denim, wearer's lifestyle, etc.

In the words of N&F's guarantee for the 32oz denim: "uncomfortable or your money back!"

what are some good designer jeans that you guys can recommend for me? i'm liking how the RRL's look but was curious what other brands were out there for me. dior is another company suggested but their prices are a bit higher than i'd be willing to spend right now. probably no more than $200 at the moment. and no true religion jeans please!

If you'd be willing to stray from "designer" jeans and check out Tellason, I'd highly recommended. I honestly think it's the best bang for your buck for $200. They're probably a lot better than more expensive pairs too :p

Raleigh denim also has awesome denim for $300, Naked and Famous uses nice Japanese raw denim and their price points are really good and you can usually find pairs on sale. Rogue Territory and 3sixteen are also putting out some awesome jeans you should look into.

ive always worn APC's and i just spent the extra money at SelfEdge in LA and copped some Imperials x SelfEdge and they are best jeans ever

Sweet, the Self Edge collabs always look amazing!! Get some pics up man!
Please login first to reply.
x