Small DENIM Questions Thread

This post is hidden due to user account is no longer active or improper post content.

March 30, 2011 @ 15:33:33 PM
Got my flatheads bsp a week ago and I've been wearing them for a week, tryna stretch them out.. But they're still tight in the thigh and the legs (not the waist). I also haven't soaked them yet either and seeing as how theyre un sanforized, they're probably gonna stretch out a lot. You guys have any tips for me? Should I just soak them in cold water for maybe 10-15 minutes after another week of wear and wear them while drying?
March 30, 2011 @ 18:15:30 PM
If they're uncomfortable before major shrinkage you should probably return for a bigger size.
March 30, 2011 @ 19:50:20 PM
I don't think i can return them.. I've already worn them. They're not uncomfortable.. Just a little tight. I think I'm gonna wear them for a bit longer and then soak them. Thoughts?
March 31, 2011 @ 21:41:54 PM
I sent my jeans to big about over a week ago to get hemmed, how long does it normally take for them to come back?
April 01, 2011 @ 00:54:35 AM
QTip I've never owned BSP Flats so this is just conjecture but if they're already tight they're probably going to be real tough to wear after shrinking. Maybe a fun challenge though if you like stretching denim out.
April 02, 2011 @ 10:45:04 AM
When do denims usually stop bleeding on to shoes? Just getting more opinions here. I got my APC's last week and they bleed like hell on my Vans Authentic white laces lol. I know it won't be a while unless I wash it a lot, which I know I won't cause I won't be washing until at least like September or so... But I wanted to know cause the Jordan 3's are coming out this June in the true blue colorway and they look dope with denims -- just don't want them to stain or nothing. Thanks.

Raw denim bleeds for a long time, it usually doesn't stop until you wash the jeans at least a few times.

Got my flatheads bsp a week ago and I've been wearing them for a week, tryna stretch them out.. But they're still tight in the thigh and the legs (not the waist). I also haven't soaked them yet either and seeing as how theyre un sanforized, they're probably gonna stretch out a lot. You guys have any tips for me? Should I just soak them in cold water for maybe 10-15 minutes after another week of wear and wear them while drying?

I don't think i can return them.. I've already worn them. They're not uncomfortable.. Just a little tight. I think I'm gonna wear them for a bit longer and then soak them. Thoughts?

If your unsanforized denim is tight even before a soak, you probably bought them one size too small. However, from your description of the fit, you should be OK as long as you keep all of your soaks and washes cold. A hot wash or soak might make these too small for you to get back into.
April 02, 2011 @ 21:46:39 PM
how can i stop my leg twist? shits bothering me real hard.
April 03, 2011 @ 00:26:48 AM
In Soviet Russia leg twist stops you!
No but really you don't it's a natural motion for the twill weave to pull in a certain direction.
April 03, 2011 @ 13:57:32 PM
I know literally nothing about quality jeans after reading some of these threads so I figure this is where I should post to figure some things out. I normally wear 511's but 501 stf's seem really appealing. What are the advantages of stf's? Basically after the whole process they will fit me perfectly? Also, what's the difference between 501 stf and 501xx? Can I buy them just about anywhere and how much do they run? Lastly, how should I size them/could someone link me to a step by step guide of the process? I hope that's not too many questions.
April 03, 2011 @ 18:13:59 PM
1. The current 501 is a fairly generic straight that flatters lots of male figures without being too slim or too modest.

2. Depends on how you think a perfect fit looks. A full shrink will lose about 1" overall and 3" off the inseam.

3. It's kind of difficult to explain but in the old days(pre-70's) before washes/finishes all 501s were XX meaning they were made of heavy unsanforized Cone denim. As far as I know the 501 STFs in production now are still considered '501XX' even without the stamp on the back patch, probably just a cost-cutting thing like with the red tabs seeing as how they still come with the XX guarantee on the left pocket.

4. Most of the big American department stores have them shelved and online as well. American Jeans has the main colorways and sometimes a few of the one-offs like purple/teal/rainbow selvage STFs.

5. There are a bunch of people who blog their different methods for getting different fits so it would be best for you to decide which you like.
April 03, 2011 @ 18:19:40 PM
1. The current 501 is a fairly generic straight that flatters lots of male figures without being too slim or too modest.

2. Depends on how you think a perfect fit looks. A full shrink will lose about 1" overall and 3" off the inseam.

3. It's kind of difficult to explain but in the old days(pre-70's) before washes/finishes all 501s were XX meaning they were made of heavy unsanforized Cone denim. As far as I know the 501 STFs in production now are still considered '501XX' even without the stamp on the back patch, probably just a cost-cutting thing like with the red tabs seeing as how they still come with the XX guarantee on the left pocket.

4. Most of the big American department stores have them shelved and online as well. American Jeans has the main colorways and sometimes a few of the one-offs like purple/teal/rainbow selvage STFs.

5. There are a bunch of people who blog their different methods for getting different fits so it would be best for you to decide which you like.
April 06, 2011 @ 17:03:10 PM
For unbrandeds should I soak before wear? Or just fuck it and do whatever?
April 07, 2011 @ 00:10:22 AM
For unbrandeds should I soak before wear? Or just fuck it and do whatever?

Unbrandeds are sanforized (preshrunk) raw denim, so soaking is optional.
April 10, 2011 @ 12:54:48 PM
when i soak my jeans, why does it get hard when it drys? that is so ass.
April 10, 2011 @ 16:52:52 PM
Guys,

This seems like the best place for this. I've noticed a pair of jeans in a music video that appear to have a nice colour and cut, and despite my attempts to identify them I've come up with nothing. Hopefully, you 'Hypebeast Denim Savant's' can help me blushing

Here's the video:

WARNING! Video contains Lil Wayne, and Nicki Minaj's attempt at rapping! Mute if you're unlikely to enjoy it.

Thanks blushing

P.S. Behind the Scenes Video might make things a little easier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2-RW_nnClU
April 11, 2011 @ 12:46:04 PM
when i soak my jeans, why does it get hard when it drys? that is so ass.

The leftover starch causes that. Don't worry, they'll break in fast.
April 12, 2011 @ 01:45:39 AM
Hm should i taper/hem my jeans first then soak, or soak first then get them tapered/hemmed?

edit: denim is rogue territory steve, sanforized
April 12, 2011 @ 23:23:47 PM
dont know if that has been asked but..

i have selvedge jeans that i want to get tapered. Do i just take them to the tailors and tell the man not to fuck up the selvedge? or do i have to go to a special place to get them done?
April 12, 2011 @ 23:39:49 PM
dont know if this will help much but when i got my apc p.s hemmed the guy didnt touch my selvedge i was actually kind of worried about that too but if you wanna make sure you should just ask
April 13, 2011 @ 12:52:26 PM
Originally posted by Inactive User
Hm should i taper/hem my jeans first then soak, or soak first then get them tapered/hemmed?

edit: denim is rogue territory steve, sanforized

If the denim is sanforized, you don't have to soak before tapering, especially if you don't plan on soaking before wearing. However, if you are going to soak before wearing, you might as well do it before tapering as well, in case you get some shrinkage.

i have selvedge jeans that i want to get tapered. Do i just take them to the tailors and tell the man not to fuck up the selvedge? or do i have to go to a special place to get them done?

Yeah, you should ask them to taper on the inseam rather than the outseam, so that they don't touch the selvage. I know Denim Doctors tapers this way, but you can always ask your local tailor if they can do it, too.
April 13, 2011 @ 21:40:30 PM
What the best way i fix the stacks?

April 13, 2011 @ 21:45:20 PM
My jeans always crease bellow the crotch, it's because they're too big on my waist, right?
April 13, 2011 @ 22:13:16 PM
so am i supposed to wear the denim while it's still kind of damp to get definite fades from the start?
April 13, 2011 @ 22:29:44 PM
dont know if this will help much but when i got my apc p.s hemmed the guy didnt touch my selvedge i was actually kind of worried about that too but if you wanna make sure you should just ask

Hemmed and tapered are two different things.
April 13, 2011 @ 22:32:18 PM

To do the inseam side you need a special machine to do it properly...most regular tailors wont have this machine.

You can taper the outer seam and still have the selvedge.....the width of the salvedge will just get wider by however much you are tapering.
April 18, 2011 @ 12:15:29 PM
I just ordered a pair of Denham Grader Virgin Japanese Selvage. Does anyone have any experiences with this brand? The look nice but if someone with firsthand experience can give me some info I would gladly appreciate it.
April 18, 2011 @ 23:02:06 PM

Without a special stitching machine he's going to have to use the selvedge edge. It'll get wider depending upon how much you taper it.
April 19, 2011 @ 01:14:52 AM
Question was presented to me on my denim tumblog, strictlydenim.tumblr.com.. the question is; "What do you know about levis with an XX on the patch?" What does the double X stand for?

insta/twitter/tumblr/cargo: sihalanick

April 19, 2011 @ 03:37:58 AM
Read the thread it's on the previous page.
Please login first to reply.
x