Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $175.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP175
April 3, 2011 @ 12:26 AM
jozsef_csanyi

In Soviet Russia leg twist stops you!
No but really you don't it's a natural motion for the twill weave to pull in a certain direction.
April 3, 2011 @ 01:57 PM
michaelgd

I know literally nothing about quality jeans after reading some of these threads so I figure this is where I should post to figure some things out. I normally wear 511's but 501 stf's seem really appealing. What are the advantages of stf's? Basically after the whole process they will fit me perfectly? Also, what's the difference between 501 stf and 501xx? Can I buy them just about anywhere and how much do they run? Lastly, how should I size them/could someone link me to a step by step guide of the process? I hope that's not too many questions.
April 3, 2011 @ 06:13 PM
jozsef_csanyi

1. The current 501 is a fairly generic straight that flatters lots of male figures without being too slim or too modest.

2. Depends on how you think a perfect fit looks. A full shrink will lose about 1" overall and 3" off the inseam.

3. It's kind of difficult to explain but in the old days(pre-70's) before washes/finishes all 501s were XX meaning they were made of heavy unsanforized Cone denim. As far as I know the 501 STFs in production now are still considered '501XX' even without the stamp on the back patch, probably just a cost-cutting thing like with the red tabs seeing as how they still come with the XX guarantee on the left pocket.

4. Most of the big American department stores have them shelved and online as well. American Jeans has the main colorways and sometimes a few of the one-offs like purple/teal/rainbow selvage STFs.

5. There are a bunch of people who blog their different methods for getting different fits so it would be best for you to decide which you like.
April 3, 2011 @ 06:19 PM
jozsef_csanyi

1. The current 501 is a fairly generic straight that flatters lots of male figures without being too slim or too modest.

2. Depends on how you think a perfect fit looks. A full shrink will lose about 1" overall and 3" off the inseam.

3. It's kind of difficult to explain but in the old days(pre-70's) before washes/finishes all 501s were XX meaning they were made of heavy unsanforized Cone denim. As far as I know the 501 STFs in production now are still considered '501XX' even without the stamp on the back patch, probably just a cost-cutting thing like with the red tabs seeing as how they still come with the XX guarantee on the left pocket.

4. Most of the big American department stores have them shelved and online as well. American Jeans has the main colorways and sometimes a few of the one-offs like purple/teal/rainbow selvage STFs.

5. There are a bunch of people who blog their different methods for getting different fits so it would be best for you to decide which you like.
April 6, 2011 @ 05:03 PM
Its_SONIC

For unbrandeds should I soak before wear? Or just fuck it and do whatever?
April 7, 2011 @ 12:10 AM
infiniteme

For unbrandeds should I soak before wear? Or just fuck it and do whatever?

Unbrandeds are sanforized (preshrunk) raw denim, so soaking is optional.
April 10, 2011 @ 12:54 PM
Its_SONIC

when i soak my jeans, why does it get hard when it drys? that is so ass.
April 10, 2011 @ 04:52 PM
BlindFutur3

Guys,

This seems like the best place for this. I've noticed a pair of jeans in a music video that appear to have a nice colour and cut, and despite my attempts to identify them I've come up with nothing. Hopefully, you 'Hypebeast Denim Savant's' can help me smile

Here's the video:

WARNING! Video contains Lil Wayne, and Nicki Minaj's attempt at rapping! Mute if you're unlikely to enjoy it.

Thanks smile

P.S. Behind the Scenes Video might make things a little easier: www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2-RW_nnClU
April 11, 2011 @ 12:46 PM
infiniteme

when i soak my jeans, why does it get hard when it drys? that is so ass.

The leftover starch causes that. Don't worry, they'll break in fast.
April 12, 2011 @ 01:45 AM
tree fiddy

Hm should i taper/hem my jeans first then soak, or soak first then get them tapered/hemmed?

edit: denim is rogue territory steve, sanforized
April 12, 2011 @ 11:23 PM
deegee

dont know if that has been asked but..

i have selvedge jeans that i want to get tapered. Do i just take them to the tailors and tell the man not to fuck up the selvedge? or do i have to go to a special place to get them done?

http://www.prevailco.com

April 12, 2011 @ 11:39 PM
ryun

dont know if this will help much but when i got my apc p.s hemmed the guy didnt touch my selvedge i was actually kind of worried about that too but if you wanna make sure you should just ask
April 13, 2011 @ 12:52 PM
infiniteme

Hm should i taper/hem my jeans first then soak, or soak first then get them tapered/hemmed?

edit: denim is rogue territory steve, sanforized

If the denim is sanforized, you don't have to soak before tapering, especially if you don't plan on soaking before wearing. However, if you are going to soak before wearing, you might as well do it before tapering as well, in case you get some shrinkage.

i have selvedge jeans that i want to get tapered. Do i just take them to the tailors and tell the man not to fuck up the selvedge? or do i have to go to a special place to get them done?

Yeah, you should ask them to taper on the inseam rather than the outseam, so that they don't touch the selvage. I know Denim Doctors tapers this way, but you can always ask your local tailor if they can do it, too.
April 13, 2011 @ 09:40 PM
Cameltoe

What the best way i fix the stacks?

April 13, 2011 @ 09:45 PM
dforest

My jeans always crease bellow the crotch, it's because they're too big on my waist, right?
April 13, 2011 @ 10:13 PM
denimworld

so am i supposed to wear the denim while it's still kind of damp to get definite fades from the start?
April 13, 2011 @ 10:29 PM
offdee

dont know if this will help much but when i got my apc p.s hemmed the guy didnt touch my selvedge i was actually kind of worried about that too but if you wanna make sure you should just ask

Hemmed and tapered are two different things.
April 13, 2011 @ 10:32 PM
offdee

To do the inseam side you need a special machine to do it properly...most regular tailors wont have this machine.

You can taper the outer seam and still have the selvedge.....the width of the salvedge will just get wider by however much you are tapering.
April 18, 2011 @ 12:15 PM
totalespionage

I just ordered a pair of Denham Grader Virgin Japanese Selvage. Does anyone have any experiences with this brand? The look nice but if someone with firsthand experience can give me some info I would gladly appreciate it.
April 18, 2011 @ 11:02 PM
Hella

Without a special stitching machine he's going to have to use the selvedge edge. It'll get wider depending upon how much you taper it.
April 19, 2011 @ 01:14 AM
lstplcwnr

Question was presented to me on my denim tumblog, strictlydenim.tumblr.com.. the question is; "What do you know about levis with an XX on the patch?" What does the double X stand for?

insta/twitter/tumblr/cargo: sihalanick

April 19, 2011 @ 03:37 AM
jozsef_csanyi

Read the thread it's on the previous page.
April 19, 2011 @ 07:26 PM
lstplcwnr

Thank you. I quoted you here to respond to the question; I hope you don't mind. Credited of course.
strictlydenim.tumblr.com/post/4761776814/what-do-you-know-about-levis-with-an-xx-on-the-patch

insta/twitter/tumblr/cargo: sihalanick

April 20, 2011 @ 12:31 AM
aztecasteve

when denim is referred to as rigid denim does that mean its stiff
April 20, 2011 @ 03:19 PM
totalespionage

I just ordered a pair of Denham Grader Virgin Japanese Selvage. Does anyone have any experiences with this brand? The look nice but if someone with firsthand experience can give me some info I would gladly appreciate it.

April 20, 2011 @ 05:52 PM
infiniteme

so am i supposed to wear the denim while it's still kind of damp to get definite fades from the start?

You can do that to help set your creases, but it's certainly not necessary. I never do it.

when denim is referred to as rigid denim does that mean its stiff

Yes, "rigid" means stiff.

I have no firsthand experience with this brand. I read somewhere that they are a Dutch brand, but that's pretty much all I know about them.
April 20, 2011 @ 08:47 PM
Jvlv

quick question, does anyone know if there are variations to neighborhood jeans back pockets? besides the rigid slanted 'N' shape, ive seen a one with a curved line in between, would those be real as well?

thanks
April 23, 2011 @ 01:54 AM
achae91

Been looking at a lot of evo pictures and was wondering, do people usually rub their jeans while they wear them? Because I don't see how the upper thighs and knees can fade so much in so little time, while mine are no where near faded and it's been about 4 1/2 months.
April 23, 2011 @ 01:08 PM
infiniteme

Been looking at a lot of evo pictures and was wondering, do people usually rub their jeans while they wear them? Because I don't see how the upper thighs and knees can fade so much in so little time, while mine are no where near faded and it's been about 4 1/2 months.

People do usually rub their jeans while wearing them, but not intentionally. Manufacturing your fades is on purpose is generally looked down upon in the internet denim community.

If you're not getting enough fading, you're probably not wearing your jeans enough or not wearing them hard enough.
April 23, 2011 @ 04:20 PM
achae91

People do usually rub their jeans while wearing them, but not intentionally. Manufacturing your fades is on purpose is generally looked down upon in the internet denim community.

If you're not getting enough fading, you're probably not wearing your jeans enough or not wearing them hard enough.

What does it mean by "wearing them hard?" I guess I don't really bike or skate like some people do. I'm usually just sitting around or walking around at work. Would that be why?

Please login first to reply.