Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
November 21, 2010 @ 12:46 AM
infiniteme

my waist is a 34

I would recommend a 32 for you if you want a slim fit. 33 if you want a little more relaxed of a fit.
November 21, 2010 @ 12:53 AM
Max S v2

really?I thought the sizes ran big though
November 21, 2010 @ 01:52 AM
fatassj

No, different high end brands can vary wildly with speed of fading. For example, Flat Head is known for fading super fast. Samurai, Pure Blue Japan, and Eternal are other examples of faster-fading brands.

Slow-fading brands include Studio D'Artisan, 45 RPM, and just about anything dyed with natural indigo.

Different brands and models of denim are woven differently, and with a certain type of weave, parts of the weft yarns stick out in between the warp threads more. That's what you're seeing.

Thanks alot. When you mean super fast, is it TOO fast where it's a waste of money to go thru a pair of denim quick? Could you do some comparisons or something to show me? I'm in for everyday wear and plan to wear until it gets wayy too blue. Would it last a good year?
November 21, 2010 @ 07:10 AM
bronze

Thanks alot. When you mean super fast, is it TOO fast where it's a waste of money to go thru a pair of denim quick? Could you do some comparisons or something to show me? I'm in for everyday wear and plan to wear until it gets wayy too blue. Would it last a good year?

forsure
November 21, 2010 @ 09:49 AM
infiniteme

really?I thought the sizes ran big though

They do, but after a couple of washes, the XX-005 doesn't run that big. That's why I told you to size down 1 or 2 from your true waist size. Sizing down 3, like you originally inquired about, would be a lot for this model and would give you a really tight fit, if you are able to make it work.
November 21, 2010 @ 09:53 AM
infiniteme

It all depends on how hard you wear them and how often you wash them. For 99% of people out there, any of those brands, even Flat Head, would have their color last well over a year as long as you are following the general guideline of not washing your jeans more than once every 2 or 3 months.
November 21, 2010 @ 10:52 PM
fatassj

It all depends on how hard you wear them and how often you wash them. For 99% of people out there, any of those brands, even Flat Head, would have their color last well over a year as long as you are following the general guideline of not washing your jeans more than once every 2 or 3 months.

i'm planning on no washes. think im gunna hang them outside everyday with fabric softener sheets or febreze.

if i wear raw denim in the rain will that fuck up anything?
November 21, 2010 @ 11:06 PM
gakidou134

hey hypebeast first post! ><

just a quick question so i got apc petit standards around during june...after a month my mom washed my apc without my knowledge...ive been wearing them since..and the fades are really light and not very constrasted..did that wash screwed up the whole breaking process?
i might get new standards too ...how much should i size down..
November 22, 2010 @ 12:32 AM
infiniteme

i'm planning on no washes. think im gunna hang them outside everyday with fabric softener sheets or febreze.

If you don't plan on washing your jeans at all, I would highly recommend that you buy a pair that is one-washed from the manufacturer. You're going to give yourself a lot of potential problems with those jeans otherwise.

if i wear raw denim in the rain will that fuck up anything?

Probably not, as long as it's not raining really hard and you don't stay in the rain for a long time.
November 22, 2010 @ 06:32 AM
fatassj

If you don't plan on washing your jeans at all, I would highly recommend that you buy a pair that is one-washed from the manufacturer. You're going to give yourself a lot of potential problems with those jeans otherwise.

What is that? Maybe I'll wash when recommended, but i'm just trying to have it all perfect, I don't know much about denim, i always though no washes was best.
November 22, 2010 @ 03:57 PM
infiniteme

What is that? Maybe I'll wash when recommended, but i'm just trying to have it all perfect, I don't know much about denim, i always though no washes was best.

The less washes, the better the contrast your fading will have. However, the flip side of the coin is that if you let denim get dirty and stay dirty, it will wear faster and have a shorter lifespan. The initial soak/wash prior to wearing regularly is the most important. If you don't do that, the cotton fibers in the denim won't get properly hydrated, the starch from manufacturing will stay in the denim, and the stitching won't settle into the denim properly. You'll shorten the lifespan of the jeans significantly without that initial soak.

Plus, on unsanforized brands like PBJ and Samurai, not doing the initial soak/wash will cause sizing problems when you wash later on.
November 22, 2010 @ 11:13 PM
Carlton C-Note Banks

Are initial soaks really necessary for sanforized denim (like APCs, N&F, etc.). At least from what I've read, most people don't really initially soak their APCs or anything, just the unsanforized denim.
November 22, 2010 @ 11:43 PM
D. Rose

Looking for a fit similar to 511-514 tapered fit.. like the unbranded tapered fit from UO. What fit would that be in N&F or APC? And how much would I size down if I'm a 28 waist tts?

LOWBALL PARADISE: http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/159669

November 23, 2010 @ 11:53 AM
gittoes

How are neighborhood black raw jeans after a couple of washes? Is the quality as good as the washed ones?
November 23, 2010 @ 02:56 PM
infiniteme

Are initial soaks really necessary for sanforized denim (like APCs, N&F, etc.). At least from what I've read, most people don't really initially soak their APCs or anything, just the unsanforized denim.

It's not as crucial as far as fit goes, because sanforized denim doesn't shrink anywhere near as much unsanforized denim. Therefore, your fades won't move significantly after a later wash if you don't soak before wearing.

However, it's still a good idea, because it does increase the life of the jeans.

The only downside of soaking is that it removes the sheen from the raw denim, which some people like. But it does help your jeans last longer if you soak.
November 24, 2010 @ 03:47 PM
fatassj

The less washes, the better the contrast your fading will have. However, the flip side of the coin is that if you let denim get dirty and stay dirty, it will wear faster and have a shorter lifespan. The initial soak/wash prior to wearing regularly is the most important. If you don't do that, the cotton fibers in the denim won't get properly hydrated, the starch from manufacturing will stay in the denim, and the stitching won't settle into the denim properly. You'll shorten the lifespan of the jeans significantly without that initial soak.

Plus, on unsanforized brands like PBJ and Samurai, not doing the initial soak/wash will cause sizing problems when you wash later on.

I'll just do no washes then for a beautiful pair. Thanks for great ingo. What about soaks? Same as washing?
November 24, 2010 @ 08:12 PM
warriorlax

my samurai s500vx have a small hole developing in the crotch. I've talked to a few local tailors about a patch and they can do it but I'm not sure they'll do a good job. Anyone out there have any past experiences getting a patch job at a local tailor? Or do you think I should just have big do it?(p.s. I Live close enough to the city that making a trip there isn't a problem)
November 24, 2010 @ 08:32 PM
bronze

my samurai s500vx have a small hole developing in the crotch. I've talked to a few local tailors about a patch and they can do it but I'm not sure they'll do a good job. Anyone out there have any past experiences getting a patch job at a local tailor? Or do you think I should just have big do it?(p.s. I Live close enough to the city that making a trip there isn't a problem)

foresure BiG
November 24, 2010 @ 08:34 PM
tmwtg

What causes hip flare?

Sizing down/up too much?
November 25, 2010 @ 03:41 AM
Solix

Sizing up, stretching, the cut. Numerous things can attribute to hip flare.
November 25, 2010 @ 08:27 PM
infiniteme

I'll just do no washes then for a beautiful pair. Thanks for great ingo. What about soaks? Same as washing?

Same as washing except that soaking won't fade the jeans. If you are not planning on washing, I would strongly encourage you to soak at least occasionally.
November 25, 2010 @ 08:29 PM
infiniteme

What causes hip flare?

Sizing down/up too much?

Sizing up, stretching, the cut. Numerous things can attribute to hip flare.

I agree. I will say that with most cuts, sizing down really helps get rid of the hip flare.
November 26, 2010 @ 07:52 AM
fatassj

Same as washing except that soaking won't fade the jeans. If you are not planning on washing, I would strongly encourage you to soak at least occasionally.

Soaks wont fade, but it won't lose sheen or any quality I can see at all?
November 26, 2010 @ 10:39 AM
infiniteme

Soaks wont fade, but it won't lose sheen or any quality I can see at all?

You won't lose any quality at all, just starch, from soaking. However, if your raw denim has a sheen to it (not all raw denim does), you'll lose the sheen when you soak.
November 27, 2010 @ 04:33 AM
fatassj

Do flatheads? They don't seem like they do. (straight frontier. 380 i believe)
November 27, 2010 @ 06:13 PM
Udon

Im 6'2 155lbs. and Im looking for a good pair of jeans for myself (raw/selvage)

I'd like something with an extremely long inseam so i could get some stacking.

I want a fit that is slim but not too skinny, but i do not want skulls because of the rise.

Can anybody make any recommendations?
November 27, 2010 @ 10:28 PM
D---

Hey guys, I'm trying to get into the denim game any recommendations for a newbie like me? I wear Levi's 511 and thats pretty much it.

I've heard good things bout APC and nudies.

automatically downvote fits with hand gestures

November 28, 2010 @ 10:43 AM
infiniteme

Do flatheads? They don't seem like they do. (straight frontier. 380 i believe)

Most Flat Heads have no sheen at all raw. The only one that I've seen with a sheen is the SExFHxRR10.

EDIT: Just rechecked the SExFHxRR10s, and they don't have a sheen. The LHT denim on those is just smoother that most FH denim, so I mistakenly thought they had it until I examined them closer.
November 28, 2010 @ 03:57 PM
franjoli

i want to get a pair of naked and famous weird guys. i'm really small in the waist so i usually wear size 28 or 29 with most of my jeans. i know weird guys stretch a lot and i was wondering if i get a size 28 and shrink them right away will that minimize the stretching?

WTB: UNIQLO x UNDERCOVER FISHTAIL UTILITY PARKA IN SIZE S/M ANY COLOUR MESSAGE

November 28, 2010 @ 06:11 PM
infiniteme

i want to get a pair of naked and famous weird guys. i'm really small in the waist so i usually wear size 28 or 29 with most of my jeans. i know weird guys stretch a lot and i was wondering if i get a size 28 and shrink them right away will that minimize the stretching?

N&F denim really doesn't shrink significantly with a single wash, plus shrinking denim doesn't minimize its ability to stretch. It does minimize the waist size the denim will end up at, though.

Please login first to reply.