SALE - Up to 70% Off - Shop Now
February 23, 2011 @ 09:23 AM
infiniteme

I posted this in the APC thread, but figured I'd post it here too. Hope you guys don't mind...

"How did everyone do with their first A.P.C jeans? I'm deciding whether or not I should buy APC's now (making them my first high quality denim's) or should I practice on some Levi 501 STF's and buy these later on? I really like the APC jeans, but I'm worried that I'll mess up somehow - whether buying the wrong size, not soaking it correctly, or whatever.

I only have one pair of denim's right now, and it's the Levi 514's. So can someone please advise?"

I would just go for it if you want them. With APCs, soaking is optional, because the denim is sanforized, and people generally size down 2 from their true waist measurement for the best fit.
February 23, 2011 @ 09:31 AM
ac_slater

same shit happened to me today. had to walk home while it was raining sideways. im going with the "i dont really give a fuck. oh well" philosophy.

Yeah it's been over a week since mine got wet and they look totally normal. Mine are a month old now and look exactly how they're supposed to. Combs and creases setting in with very minor fading starting.

I posted this in the APC thread, but figured I'd post it here too. Hope you guys don't mind...

"How did everyone do with their first A.P.C jeans? I'm deciding whether or not I should buy APC's now (making them my first high quality denim's) or should I practice on some Levi 501 STF's and buy these later on? I really like the APC jeans, but I'm worried that I'll mess up somehow - whether buying the wrong size, not soaking it correctly, or whatever.

I only have one pair of denim's right now, and it's the Levi 514's. So can someone please advise?"

Like these guys said, it should be fine to go ahead and get APC's.

Just make sure you do A LOT of research so you know your size and the proper care. My first pair was a $150 N&F, but I did a month of research before I bought them. Now I am totally happy with them.
February 23, 2011 @ 10:26 AM
bobby

i've been wearing my nudie slim jims for about 7 months...fades/combs/whiskers are all looking great. there is a larger hole forming on my back (wallet) pocket and 2 smaller holes forming around the crouch (been there ~3/4 months and haven't grown significantly). i've been debating to wash or to hold out till the spring/or summer. The smell doesn't bother me much at all. I like the color and everything about my fit/fades thus far (except the knee little knee buldges).

so what do you guys say...wash or continue holding out?
February 24, 2011 @ 03:08 AM
bobby

Fuck it lifestyle, washed them anyway...
Delicate light wash, 45 degrees, 1/3 cup of regular detergent..

Everyone that's hesitant about how you wash...learn to not care and do it however, results for me came out great
#swag
February 24, 2011 @ 02:03 PM
fatbro

i wanna get my saddlemans tapered to about a 7.5

can i just go to any decent tailor around my area? or should i be going to a place that specializes in denim, like Self Edge or something.
February 24, 2011 @ 04:20 PM
infiniteme

i wanna get my saddlemans tapered to about a 7.5

can i just go to any decent tailor around my area? or should i be going to a place that specializes in denim, like Self Edge or something.

I think it's always better to take it to a place that specializes in denim, especially if your jeans are selvage and you want to keep the selvage line. If not, you can probably take it anywhere.
February 26, 2011 @ 10:58 AM
ac_slater

What strategy do you guys use after the first wash?

Wash again every 1-3 months?
February 26, 2011 @ 11:03 AM
infiniteme

What strategy do you guys use after the first wash?

Wash again every 1-3 months?

I treat subsequent washes like the first wash. The longer you go without washing, the higher the contrast you get on your fades. The more often you wash, the more even your fades become (vintage fades).
February 26, 2011 @ 11:06 AM
ac_slater

In theory though, your jeans life is shortened the longer you go between washes right?

I mean if I wash a jean only 3 times in 2 years, it's gonna be totally fucked after 2 years isn't it?
February 26, 2011 @ 11:13 AM
infiniteme

In theory though, your jeans life is shortened the longer you go between washes right?

I mean if I wash a jean only 3 times in 2 years, it's gonna be totally fucked after 2 years isn't it?

Not necessarily. The first wash (or soak) is the most important, because it gets most of the starch out of the denim, and, for unsanforized (shrink-to-fit) denim, it beds the stitching threads and hydrates the cotton fibers. That starch is what shortens the life of denim the most.

After that, it's just bacteria and sweat that you have to worry about, and those tend not to be as big of a problem as the starch. Some would debate that the bacteria isn't even a factor at all.
February 26, 2011 @ 12:13 PM
ac_slater

That's interesting. Sounds like solid reasoning.
March 5, 2011 @ 05:24 AM
4cubanlinxpt2

I ordered s710s on rakuten a couple days ago and I was wondering if it'd be a good idea to soak while wearing them? I feel like silhouette my body better and definitely keep them from shrinking too much.
March 5, 2011 @ 09:52 AM
infiniteme

I ordered s710s on rakuten a couple days ago and I was wondering if it'd be a good idea to soak while wearing them? I feel like silhouette my body better and definitely keep them from shrinking too much.

If you're worried about them shrinking too much, I would soak while wearing. However, Samurais do stretch a lot, so as long as you think you can get back into them afterwards, it's probably not necessary to wear them while soaking.
March 5, 2011 @ 10:17 AM
4cubanlinxpt2

lol nah ive had bad experiences with jeans stretching back out, fuck apcs
March 5, 2011 @ 12:36 PM
Unreachable

Going for a 15-20 minute walk today, but it's raining. Would the rain do anything negative to the denim? I'll probably take an umbrella with me anyways.
March 5, 2011 @ 01:30 PM
jozsef_csanyi

If your jeans have some anti-crocking coating it may be diluted and if you've put a lot of wear into them some dye might get rinsed out.
March 5, 2011 @ 01:40 PM
infiniteme

Going for a 15-20 minute walk today, but it's raining. Would the rain do anything negative to the denim? I'll probably take an umbrella with me anyways.

It shouldn't at all. If you are wearing raw denim that has never touched water before, the rain might cause you to lose the initial sheen, but that's about it.
March 14, 2011 @ 12:19 AM
CAKIN.

so i was partying in my naked&famous grey weird guys, and i was chuckin up. there was a little bit on my jeans in the crotch/upper thigh area. no marks but it still kinda smells, how do i clean?
March 14, 2011 @ 06:42 PM
infiniteme

so i was partying in my naked&famous grey weird guys, and i was chuckin up. there was a little bit on my jeans in the crotch/upper thigh area. no marks but it still kinda smells, how do i clean?

With vomit stains, you're probably not going to get rid of the smell without actually washing the jeans. I've had good success with hand washes on vomit, if you don't want to do a machine wash. I do it in a tub of hot water with a little bit of detergent, I let it soak for about a half hour, then I agitate the area where the vomit is by hand until the vomit is gone.

Be aware that you will lose the initial sheen on the raw denim once the jeans touch water, but the wash certainly won't harm the denim.
March 14, 2011 @ 06:59 PM
hooperr

I have a tiny bathroom so when I have my hot shower everyday it gets pretty steamy. Should I hang my denim up in the bathroom or outside elsewhere?
March 15, 2011 @ 10:05 AM
infiniteme

I have a tiny bathroom so when I have my hot shower everyday it gets pretty steamy. Should I hang my denim up in the bathroom or outside elsewhere?

It probably doesn't make a significant difference either way you choose, but since you were concerned enough to ask the question here, you might as well just hang it up elsewhere outside the bathroom.
March 16, 2011 @ 12:39 AM
dragonwarper

crotch and pocket rips
aite so i dunno if this got answered dayz ago but im not finna go through 70+ pages of forum notes
basically every single pair of denim tht ive bought so far always ended up ripping front pocket and crotch rip
my imps got fatass rips on the crotch and 2 front pockets which i patched up at selfedge but i sold them
now ive been rockin roys for about 4 months and the same problems are occurring
i can see the denim thinning out on the outline of my cell phone and theres heavy abrasion at the crotch area and i can spot a rip developing
i do a cold presoak for my jeans and i just dunno wut im doing wrong tht my jeans fucking rip all the time
any advice?

edit: im pretty sure that i bought a good size as kiya from selfedge gave me a hand in getting a good fit
March 16, 2011 @ 01:51 AM
jozsef_csanyi

Most of the time it's because:
-jeans are too tight/too saggy
-poor step
-excessive abrasion

maybe a combination of all above.
March 16, 2011 @ 10:45 AM
infiniteme

aite so i dunno if this got answered dayz ago but im not finna go through 70+ pages of forum notes
basically every single pair of denim tht ive bought so far always ended up ripping front pocket and crotch rip
my imps got fatass rips on the crotch and 2 front pockets which i patched up at selfedge but i sold them
now ive been rockin roys for about 4 months and the same problems are occurring
i can see the denim thinning out on the outline of my cell phone and theres heavy abrasion at the crotch area and i can spot a rip developing
i do a cold presoak for my jeans and i just dunno wut im doing wrong tht my jeans fucking rip all the time
any advice?

edit: im pretty sure that i bought a good size as kiya from selfedge gave me a hand in getting a good fit

It might be the way you walk or other movements that you make that cause the extra wear in the area that you get it. For most people, the crotch is one of the first areas to wear through anyway, but yours sounds like more than average wear. Probably the only thing that you can do is to have the crotch reinforced early and, if necessary, repaired often.
March 18, 2011 @ 09:54 PM
Wishez.

just got my babies backcool

Saddlemans, they had a bad blow out no one wanted to try and patch for me till i found a official tailor. I think she did an awesome job for $7

March 20, 2011 @ 08:39 PM
frrple

been wearing my APC PS for > 1.5 years now and i think they're due for a soak/wash. which do you think is better? i've wanted to soak them but some people suggest just going for the complete wash. thoughts?

thanks
March 21, 2011 @ 11:26 AM
offdee

been wearing my APC PS for > 1.5 years now and i think they're due for a soak/wash. which do you think is better? i've wanted to soak them but some people suggest just going for the complete wash. thoughts?

thanks

Depends what you're wanting to do.

Keep more indigo, just do a low agitation soak

Lose more indigo, highlight all the creases more, do a full wash.

Once they hit water though, you'll lose that sheen and most of the rigidity. My preference is to hold off on washing as long as possible, and then when need a cleaning just do a soaking. I don't plan to ever really fully wash my pair.
March 23, 2011 @ 06:00 PM
frrple

Depends what you're wanting to do.

Keep more indigo, just do a low agitation soak

Lose more indigo, highlight all the creases more, do a full wash.

Once they hit water though, you'll lose that sheen and most of the rigidity. My preference is to hold off on washing as long as possible, and then when need a cleaning just do a soaking. I don't plan to ever really fully wash my pair.

Thanks offdee. I think I'm going to just soak it for now. I really like the rigid feel of raws so I'm gonna try to keep as much starch as possible

For soaking...

Cold soak: less shrinkage? I've been losing weight so I do want them to shrink a bit. ATM they're sagging and baggy a bit too much. Ideas?
March 23, 2011 @ 10:10 PM
offdee

For soaking...

Cold soak: less shrinkage? I've been losing weight so I do want them to shrink a bit. ATM they're sagging and baggy a bit too much. Ideas?

The hotter the water, the more shrinkage you'll get. APCs are sanforized denim, so they won't shrink too much regardless. The rub is youll keep more indigo with cold water so youll have to pick you poison.

Hot water: more shrinkage, lose a little more indigo
Cold water: less shrinkage, keep a little more indigo
March 24, 2011 @ 05:18 PM
frrple

The hotter the water, the more shrinkage you'll get. APCs are sanforized denim, so they won't shrink too much regardless. The rub is youll keep more indigo with cold water so youll have to pick you poison.

Hot water: more shrinkage, lose a little more indigo
Cold water: less shrinkage, keep a little more indigo

Thanks again. If I cold soak, not sure if I wanna be sitting in a tub in cold water for 30 minutes lol. We'll see what happens I guess.

Please login first to reply.