Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
January 26, 2011 @ 01:46 PM
polskakris

There are 2 main goals of soaking:

1. To remove starch from the jeans. Just about every pair of jeans comes starched brand new. Removing the starch will decrease the contrast of your fades but increase the life of your jeans.

2. If the denim is unsanforized, the soak is performed in order to shrink the jeans down to their proper size while minimizing indigo loss. This reason does not apply to sanforized denim like N&F, because sanforized denim doesn't really shrink even with a soak.

Washing gets the jeans cleaner than just soaking, so in your case, after 7 months of wear, it's probably best that you just washed instead of soaking.

ok sweet thanks for the info, so im planning to wash them again at the end of summer, so say another several months, to get higher contrast fades it would be better to wash them again im guessing?
January 26, 2011 @ 08:46 PM
infiniteme

ok sweet thanks for the info, so im planning to wash them again at the end of summer, so say another several months, to get higher contrast fades it would be better to wash them again im guessing?

Actually, the longer you go without washing, the higher the contrast you get on your fades when you do eventually wash. The flip side is, the longer you go without washing, the sooner your denim or stitching will break down somewhere. So, you kind of have to balance the two. Your plan sounds fine to me.
January 26, 2011 @ 09:12 PM
Boneztheworld

Anyone know how to avoid getting holes in the back of jeans almost all my selvage has gotten holes after like 8 months of wear

Foamposite "White Out" I Air Jordan IX / XI / XIII I XIV Retro 2013 "He Got Game" I OGs I Nike SBs I Margeilas

January 27, 2011 @ 11:39 AM
polskakris

Anyone know how to avoid getting holes in the back of jeans almost all my selvage has gotten holes after like 8 months of wear

also wondering about this, would heavier oz. denim help?
January 28, 2011 @ 11:14 PM
infiniteme

also wondering about this, would heavier oz. denim help?

Heavier denim tends to help, but it's usually the seat being stretched out by sitting or squatting and/or stuff in the back pockets causing additional wear to help create these holes.

So, if you sit or squat less and stop carrying stuff in your back pockets, you'll probably delay the formation of these holes. Or you could just not worry about it and get the jeans repaired when it does happen.
February 5, 2011 @ 02:42 AM
kng_vln

How do you guys hang your raw denim? If not hang them how do you keep them when not wearing them?
February 5, 2011 @ 11:04 AM
infiniteme

How do you guys hang your raw denim? If not hang them how do you keep them when not wearing them?

I lay mine flat on the ground.
February 6, 2011 @ 10:32 AM
Santiago Regal

I've been wearing my NS for a bit longer than a year, they've been hot soken once; no wash.

I got the feeling that they need a wash, anybody got tips on how to do this? Cold or hot..
Help me out.
February 6, 2011 @ 12:54 PM
ac_slater

So what do I do about tiny little stains that get on the front crotch area and dry quickly?

Like for example. If I'm eating chili and a small drop of the stuff splashes on the seat of my jeans, there's not much I can do except wipe off and whatever else is left let it harden and disentegrate right?

After only a month of wear on my NAF I have like 3 or 4 of these tiny stains. They aren't really that noticable but still kinda annoying.
February 6, 2011 @ 02:33 PM
Imco0l

So what do I do about tiny little stains that get on the front crotch area and dry quickly?

Like for example. If I'm eating chili and a small drop of the stuff splashes on the seat of my jeans, there's not much I can do except wipe off and whatever else is left let it harden and disentegrate right?

After only a month of wear on my NAF I have like 3 or 4 of these tiny stains. They aren't really that noticable but still kinda annoying.

cry more.
February 6, 2011 @ 02:50 PM
ac_slater

Well you do the math genius.

4 stains after 1 month = a whole pants seat of shit after 6-10 months of wear.

So what do you spot clean it or just let it disentegrate?
February 6, 2011 @ 11:46 PM
jozsef_csanyi

They're just jeans man they age better if you DON'T baby them. But then again they'd be your jeans so you can treat them how you feel is best.
About initial shrinkage a hot tub/sink soak for 30 minutes should do it.
February 7, 2011 @ 01:06 AM
infiniteme

I've been wearing my NS for a bit longer than a year, they've been hot soken once; no wash.

I got the feeling that they need a wash, anybody got tips on how to do this? Cold or hot..
Help me out.

I would do a hot wash, using detergent that is either colorfast, like Woolite Dark, or organic, like Dr. Bronner's.

I wipe up as much as I can while the drop is still wet, then I let whatever is left over just disintegrate.

OK guys so I'm pretty much a huge denim noob. I own a pair of Levi 505's, 514's, and some raw denim from GAP that I got for sale. Being aware that there is a certain way to 'wash' your jeans, I've yet to wash any of mine and I've had them since about the beginning of the year. However, I'm in the market to purchase another pair and I'm thinking of getting the 501's (shrink to fit, I guess, because every one is suggesting that to me), but I have no idea how to actually take care of them. I read the first few pages of this thread and got some insight, but I'm not exactly sure which method to go with because there are plenty of them. Which is the best one to follow?

I'm talking about the actual method of 'shrinking to fit' and also, what should I do to wash my current jeans? I haven't worn them every day and I've kind of rotated throughout the 3 of them. Thanks.

Everybody is going to have a different opinion on what method is best. Personally, for "shrinking to fit", I like to do two hot soaks of about an hour each, hang drying after each soak. For washing, look above at my first response in this post for my recommendation.
February 7, 2011 @ 01:19 PM
infiniteme

Is there like a YouTube video for these methods? lol. I'm just excited to start taking care of my jeans better and I don't wanna mess up. When you say things like 'hot soaks for an hour each' I'm not exactly sure what you mean. So do I sit in a hot bath tub or something with these on or what? Sorry for the confusion.

No, personally, I don't think there is any need to sit in the bathtub with your jeans unless they so tight raw that you don't think you'll be able to get back into them after soaking.

Just fill a tub with hot water (I use the hottest water that the tap will give me), and put your jeans in. Use weights to make sure that they stay submerged. Take them out after an hour and hang dry them. That's all there is to a hot soak.
February 7, 2011 @ 03:05 PM
infiniteme

That sounds simple enough to me. When you put weights on them, can you just put like a big shampoo bottle on each leg or something? And when you hang dry them, do you post them over like a coat rack or do you attach it to a hanger or something and leave it there? Or do you leave it outside? Lol, sorry for the questions just looking for some stuff that I should avoid. Thanks a lot.

For weights, I use my wife's 5 lb. dumbbells, but you can use anything that is heavy enough to hold the jeans down. I'm pretty sure that most shampoo bottles float in water, so you might want to look for something else as a weight.

For drying, I personally sling them over my banister and run a fan on them, but you can pretty much dry them any way that you want as long as you don't use the tumble dryer. And even using the tumble dryer isn't going to destroy your jeans or anything, it just softens the denim up a lot, which I don't like on a new pair of raw jeans.
February 8, 2011 @ 09:58 PM
ac_slater

My weird guy deep indigos got rained on fairly hard yesterday. Not soaked or anything but I think it was a significant amount because today I noticed some hints of electric blue showed up.

I feel like it's not a big deal and I should go with the "whatever happens happens" philosophy here. If they get rained on then so be it? Not like I'm washing.
February 9, 2011 @ 02:19 PM
infiniteme

Thanks for the help. I'll do some more research before I buy my Levi 501's but you gave me some good insight. I've got some 5 lb. dummbells at home too. Now does it matter where I place the dumbbells whether on the pant leggings or what not? All that matters is that the jeans stay submerged for that alotted amount of time, correct? Other than that, I can't think of any other questions or anything else I could possibly mess up (other than the size that I buy)! Thanks haha!

No, the dumbbell placement doesn't really matter, as long as every part of the jeans stays submerged.

My weird guy deep indigos got rained on fairly hard yesterday. Not soaked or anything but I think it was a significant amount because today I noticed some hints of electric blue showed up.

I feel like it's not a big deal and I should go with the "whatever happens happens" philosophy here. If they get rained on then so be it? Not like I'm washing.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. If your jeans are wet, the indigo rubs off a little bit easier, that's probably where the electric blue is coming from.
February 13, 2011 @ 07:37 PM
kng_vln

My raw denim has stretched way too much. I haven't washed or soaked them as of yet, what do you guys suggest I do to make them more slim?
February 14, 2011 @ 01:34 AM
infiniteme

OK two questions:

-My Levi 505's kind of smell funny. They don't smell bad, they just have a smell to them, you can't really smell them unless you really put your nose right next to em. Should I wash them? I've worn them a lot but have only had them for like two months. Do I have to wash them or is there a way to get rid of the smell sometimes?

If the smell doesn't bother you, you might not have to do anything about it yet. If it does, probably the best thing to do would be to wash the jeans. If you don't want to wash, I've heard that putting them in the freezer overnight or hanging them up in the sun for a few hours might work temporarily, but I haven't tried either of these myself.

-My Levi 505's are a great fit except they will scrape the ground if I wear my Vans authentics. Is there a way I can prevent this other than cuffing them? Is there a way to slightly shrink the legging by like one size or so? The same can be said for my Levi 514's which are a good fit but like 1 or 2 sizes too long when I wear my Vans authentics... I'm thinking of just buying a tighter pair of jeans that I can stack like 501's, but if I can fix my 505's and 514's to make them shorter, maybe I'll just use the money to buy khaki's instead. Thanks.

You can either get the jeans tapered to make the leg opening smaller, which would allow the jeans to stack better, or you can get them hemmed to shorten the leg. Between the two, I would recommend the hemming, because the tapering can sometimes affect the overall fit of the jean unexpectedly.

My raw denim has stretched way too much. I haven't washed or soaked them as of yet, what do you guys suggest I do to make them more slim?

Assuming that your denim is sanforized (non-shrink-to-fit), hot soaking or washing would probably bring the jeans back to the pre-stretch size, but unfortunately, they'll stretch back out pretty quickly. The only permanent way to make them fit tighter would be to get them altered by a tailor, but it will be pricey (over $40, at least), and the overall fit of the jeans might be affected as well.

If your denim is unsanforized (shrink-to-fit), hot soaking or washing may work better long-term, because it will cause more shrinkage than with sanforized denim.
February 14, 2011 @ 10:50 AM
infiniteme

That's what makes me question my size length though. Maybe I'm really a 34x29 or something? Someone told me a 28 is kind of short so I don't know... When I cuff my shoes though it doesn't really matter with the Vans. Is it cause the Vans are so low that I think my pants are too long? Lol... I don't know how to judge my true size.

How long is the inseam on the jeans now? And how tall are you?
February 15, 2011 @ 02:26 AM
infiniteme

I wear 34x30 jeans right now (Levi 505's, 514's). I'm about 5'7".
I have the wear the jeans with a belt, but I don't have to tighten it that much, just to the first hole. Am I really a 33x29 you think?

Just confused about my sizing. Thanks.

If the 30" inseam is too long for you, you must be a 29 or 28 then. At 5'7", it's certainly possible, especially if your legs are a little bit short for your height. I'd measure those 34x30 Levis just to make sure that the inseam measurement is right.

Let me know if you are ever in the market for a pair of Samurais, I have a near-new pair that would fit you great at a reasonable price.
February 15, 2011 @ 02:34 PM
infiniteme

I'd be interested, but how much would you be looking for? And what size is it at? Have no idea what those Samurai's are, but I figure they're high quality jeans and for a good price, I'm always down to get a deal. smile

I sent you a PM, we can continue this discussion there.
February 15, 2011 @ 03:36 PM
freshkixlaney

never put your jeans in the dryer always line dry
February 16, 2011 @ 12:52 PM
hyperpiper45

I bought some GAP jeans a little over a month ago and wore them less than 10 times. They're too long and too large on the waist (34x30 but not like the levi's 34x30). Can i experiment with hot soaking it or is it too late?

It's worth a try. Wash them very hot and then tumble dry them hot to get maximum shrinkage. However they will probably stretch back after a few wears.
February 16, 2011 @ 04:02 PM
infiniteme

I bought some GAP jeans a little over a month ago and wore them less than 10 times. They're too long and too large on the waist (34x30 but not like the levi's 34x30). Can i experiment with hot soaking it or is it too late?

Gap selvage denim is sanforized, so hot soaking probably won't shrink them much, if at all. Even if they do shrink, they'll stretch back out really easily and really fast, If you keep them, you'll probably always have to wear them loose in the waist.
February 17, 2011 @ 10:47 PM
S0ju

same shit happened to me today. had to walk home while it was raining sideways. im going with the "i dont really give a fuck. oh well" philosophy.
February 18, 2011 @ 12:04 AM
infiniteme

When I got my Levi 514's, was I supposed to soak them? I bought them from Macy's but noticed they even stain my white iPod headphones lol. I don't know if soaking them gets rid of any extra dye or whatever, I'm a noob when itcomes to this kind of stuff so I was just asking. Thanks.

Raw denim bleeds, that's just the nature of the fabric. If you had soaked them, that would have gotten rid of some of the excess indigo, but it usually takes at least a wash or two to stop the bleeding.
February 19, 2011 @ 10:45 PM
ryun

What's the purpose or advantage for sea washing you denim i saw it on this apc instruction and im just wondering if i should do it with my petit standards and also do you wear it while your soaking or do you just leave in water? how much will it shrink?
February 19, 2011 @ 11:57 PM
infiniteme

What's the purpose or advantage for sea washing you denim i saw it on this apc instruction and im just wondering if i should do it with my petit standards and also do you wear it while your soaking or do you just leave in water? how much will it shrink?

Supposedly the salt in the sea water helps the non-excess indigo stay in the denim a little bit better. With APCs, you probably don't need to do it until they get dirty.

Also with APCs, you don't need to wear the jeans while sea washing, you can just leave them in the water. Since they are made of sanforized denim, they won't really shrink (generally, a fraction of an inch in the waist and inseam at most).
February 22, 2011 @ 03:54 PM
bronze

I posted this in the APC thread, but figured I'd post it here too. Hope you guys don't mind...

"How did everyone do with their first A.P.C jeans? I'm deciding whether or not I should buy APC's now (making them my first high quality denim's) or should I practice on some Levi 501 STF's and buy these later on? I really like the APC jeans, but I'm worried that I'll mess up somehow - whether buying the wrong size, not soaking it correctly, or whatever.

I only have one pair of denim's right now, and it's the Levi 514's. So can someone please advise?"

just jump the gun on the APC. Or go for Naked and Famous or 3Sixteen.
If youre worried about screwing up sizes just ask people or go Nudies as it is pretty easy to size on those

Please login first to reply.