Denim Care Thread (for denim FAQ)

November 28, 2010 @ 16:10:35 PM
is it possible to let only the legs shrink
so the become skinnier?
November 28, 2010 @ 18:14:55 PM
is it possible to let only the legs shrink
so the become skinnier?

I doubt it'd work, but you could try only soaking the legs. I think you're ultimately going to need a tailor though if you only want the legs skinnier.
December 03, 2010 @ 02:35:20 AM
My UO Indigo Skinny is my first pair of raw selvedge denim.
It's been almost a month and the crotch area seems to be fading first, so I'm scared that it might rip.
What are some care tips and do's/dont's to prevent a crotch blowout?

Also, I'm never soaked it. Should I do a cold soak?
December 03, 2010 @ 04:29:17 AM
My UO Indigo Skinny is my first pair of raw selvedge denim.
It's been almost a month and the crotch area seems to be fading first, so I'm scared that it might rip.
What are some care tips and do's/dont's to prevent a crotch blowout?

Also, I'm never soaked it. Should I do a cold soak?

There are a couple of things that you can still do at this point to help prevent a crotch blowout. First, you can reinforce the crotch with any spare denim fabric that you have.

Also, I would recommend that you do that cold soak. It gets the starch out of the fabric, which slows down its wear.
December 20, 2010 @ 13:20:59 PM
Hey on hemming before soak...my new jeans are at 37.5'' and I like to wear my jeans at 31.5-32. Would it be smart to hem them to around 33-34 wear them for a month then do a light soak to get some shrink then hem them to a 32. I just dont want to hem them first then end up with it too short. Any advice be great
December 20, 2010 @ 13:43:33 PM
Hey on hemming before soak...my new jeans are at 37.5'' and I like to wear my jeans at 31.5-32. Would it be smart to hem them to around 33-34 wear them for a month then do a light soak to get some shrink then hem them to a 32. I just dont want to hem them first then end up with it too short. Any advice be great

What type of jeans did you get? My recommendation to you can differ greatly depending on what you have.
December 20, 2010 @ 16:16:00 PM
I got the Naked & Famous x Momotaro colab
December 20, 2010 @ 18:14:30 PM
I got the Naked & Famous x Momotaro colab

Then what you suggested should be fine. You might not even have to hem a second time after the soak.
December 21, 2010 @ 01:20:27 AM
Hey guys I need some tips on denim care. I have a pair of NDG White Denims. They are still somewhat stiff but its getting dirty and I think it might need a soak or actual cleaning. Anyone have any advice on care tips? What about what type of powder / cleaning agents I should use with my white denims to keep them as white as possible? Also this would not affect any honeycombs / whiskering I have on it already right? (Not sure if it really matters on White Denim).
December 23, 2010 @ 04:58:41 AM
Just got some a.p.c ps. The waist fit me just fine and i don’t want it to start stretching. Is there a way that i can make the stretching minimum by washing it or not make it stretch at all? And also will pre soaking make most of my starch go away?
December 23, 2010 @ 12:46:49 PM
wear a belt?
December 23, 2010 @ 13:33:42 PM
wear a belt?

not really a belt guy D:
December 23, 2010 @ 13:56:34 PM
Just got some a.p.c ps. The waist fit me just fine and i don’t want it to start stretching. Is there a way that i can make the stretching minimum by washing it or not make it stretch at all? And also will pre soaking make most of my starch go away?

wear a belt?

not really a belt guy D:

Unfortunately, wearing a belt is the only way to minimize stretch on a pair of jeans when you wear them. Even with a belt, there will be some stretch, but nowhere near as much as without one.

Presoaking will indeed make most of the starch go away. It will take more than one soak to get rid of *all* of the starch, though. Also, be aware that you will lose the sheen that the raw denim comes with if you presoak.
December 23, 2010 @ 14:44:24 PM
alrightt. thanks.
December 24, 2010 @ 01:39:49 AM
has anybody gotten the APC x Aesop cleaner? i was thinking about buying some but not sure if i wanna drop $35 if its just soapy water
January 09, 2011 @ 06:46:58 AM
anyone starch their raw jeans to make it harder?
if so, for what purpose?
January 09, 2011 @ 09:51:27 AM
anyone starch their raw jeans to make it harder?
if so, for what purpose?

Some people do this. The starch makes the denim wear faster, so your jeans fade faster. The downside is that you get holes in the denim faster as well.
January 09, 2011 @ 15:59:31 PM
And it does weaken the fabric. People just do that cause they are lazy as fuck. If you are really willing to put the time, don't starch. If it is after a soak I guess that's ok, but some people spray their jeans everyday.

www.jacobskoglund.com | www.jacobsphotobooth.tumblr.com

January 09, 2011 @ 18:08:13 PM
does anyone know how to bring back the original color of the denim if the color starts fading?
January 09, 2011 @ 18:09:14 PM
for apc new cures btw
January 09, 2011 @ 20:07:00 PM
^Lol, your dumb. Simple as this: Don't buy raw denim.

www.jacobskoglund.com | www.jacobsphotobooth.tumblr.com

January 09, 2011 @ 22:33:45 PM
i spilled beer on my APC NS last night... I tried dabbing at them with water and towel but now its just turned into one big dark stain. I waited for them to dry obviously. How do I get rid of this? I just got the jeans 3 weeks ago so they are still basically new.
January 10, 2011 @ 00:16:18 AM
does anyone know how to bring back the original color of the denim if the color starts fading?

There's no realistic way of doing this. Jeans fade because the indigo that they are dyed with is lost over time with wear. In theory, you could bring back the color by re-dyeing the jeans, but in practice, it's not really possible, because, to my knowledge, no one offers this kind of service. Even if you could re-dye, it wouldn't look exactly the same as it did brand new.

If you want jeans that keep their original color, I would recommend the Pure Blue Japan NC models. Those are dyed with indanthrene, a non-fading dye, instead of indigo, so they keep their color.

i spilled beer on my APC NS last night... I tried dabbing at them with water and towel but now its just turned into one big dark stain. I waited for them to dry obviously. How do I get rid of this? I just got the jeans 3 weeks ago so they are still basically new.

If the water and towel didn't work, you're probably going to have to wash them. To minimize indigo loss, I would recommend a hand wash over a machine wash. Also, I would recommend soaking the denim in hot, soapy water for at least 30 minutes before you actually start washing.

Don't worry, washing denim never ruins it. You'll lose the initial sheen of the denim when the jeans touch water, but you'll still get good fades as long as you don't wash too often.
January 10, 2011 @ 00:39:43 AM
There's no realistic way of doing this. Jeans fade because the indigo that they are dyed with is lost over time with wear. In theory, you could bring back the color by re-dyeing the jeans, but in practice, it's not really possible, because, to my knowledge, no one offers this kind of service. Even if you could re-dye, it wouldn't look exactly the same as it did brand new.

If you want jeans that keep their original color, I would recommend the Pure Blue Japan NC models. Those are dyed with indanthrene, a non-fading dye, instead of indigo, so they keep their color.

If the water and towel didn't work, you're probably going to have to wash them. To minimize indigo loss, I would recommend a hand wash over a machine wash. Also, I would recommend soaking the denim in hot, soapy water for at least 30 minutes before you actually start washing.

Don't worry, washing denim never ruins it. You'll lose the initial sheen of the denim when the jeans touch water, but you'll still get good fades as long as you don't wash too often.

Well the stain isn't super noticeable.. it is just kind of annoying... Should i just wait? over time when the jeans fade, does that mean the stain will also fade?
January 10, 2011 @ 00:53:58 AM
Well the stain isn't super noticeable.. it is just kind of annoying... Should i just wait? over time when the jeans fade, does that mean the stain will also fade?

You could just wait and see what happens, that certainly wouldn't hurt your jeans. The stain might even fade faster than the jeans do.
January 10, 2011 @ 14:39:50 PM
You could just wait and see what happens, that certainly wouldn't hurt your jeans. The stain might even fade faster than the jeans do.

So last night I kind of rubbed/blotted it with water again to try and get the beer off. now its just a large dark spot. Will that go away if I soak them? And should I do cold water or hot? And should i use a bit of tide?
January 10, 2011 @ 22:19:57 PM
So last night I kind of rubbed/blotted it with water again to try and get the beer off. now its just a large dark spot. Will that go away if I soak them? And should I do cold water or hot? And should i use a bit of tide?

It might go away if you soak them, but you might also have to do a little bit of a hand wash in that area while you are soaking to get it all out. I would recommend hot water, it tends to be a little more effective for soaking out stains in my experience, and the Tide will definitely help. I've been told that Woolite Dark would be even better than Tide if you have access to that.
January 11, 2011 @ 23:07:35 PM
So i've been wearing my jeans for about 4 months straight, the smell really isn't bothering me and neither is the dirt. BUT im really urging to just give them a nice wash I even bought some samurai thunder soap. Should i hold out for another month or two??? Will the contrast be worth the wait??
January 12, 2011 @ 00:02:35 AM
Unless you leave them soaked for hours you won't lose too much indigo. It would be good for the denim's longevity to wash anyway.
January 12, 2011 @ 00:29:03 AM
Unless you leave them soaked for hours you won't lose too much indigo. It would be good for the denim's longevity to wash anyway.

good enough excuse for me thanks
Please login first to reply.
x