Denim Care Thread (for denim FAQ)

September 29, 2010 @ 22:26:20 PM
Has anyone tried doing a sea wash? I've heard of it but I'm not sure about the process.
October 10, 2010 @ 08:22:01 AM
I bought a pair of Skulls for $100 that are still a dark indigo, but it seems the previous owner has washed/soaked them a couple times so they aren't stiff at all. Should I starch them or should I just wear them, I've worn them once so far and the denim has some creases, but they don't look as distinct as they should if they were brand new.
October 14, 2010 @ 05:06:13 AM
has anybody tried stonewashing
October 15, 2010 @ 15:53:32 PM
So my jeans just got done drying after a 15 minute soak. Are they supposed to be really stiff. Feels brand new.
October 18, 2010 @ 14:25:51 PM
Originally posted by Inactive User
So my jeans just got done drying after a 15 minute soak. Are they supposed to be really stiff. Feels brand new.

Yes, they are. Right after the soak, they are usually even stiffer than they were raw.
November 01, 2010 @ 20:59:50 PM
anyone here know anything about spray sizing and spray starch? i heard spray starch actually damages clothing fibers so I am thinking of using sizing instead. Sizing is suppose to give the same effect just not as stiff but if it is giving somewhat of the same effect, doesn't it mean it is making the fibers stiff and weak also but at a lesser degree? or is spray sizing 100% safe for clothing fiber

The spray hardens your jeans temporarily but after about 10 wears it wears off and leaves a shitty smell. And now that you mention it I have noticed that the jeans I sprayed have looser fibres then the parts that i did spray, Im thinking the spray does more damage then the temporary fix up. I donno anything about the spray sizing, but it sounds safer
November 03, 2010 @ 10:02:46 AM
Has anyone tried doing a sea wash? I've heard of it but I'm not sure about the process.

I just did one yesterday. It was fucking sweet man. Pretty fun as well. Just hit the part of the jeans you want to fade with sand then jump in the water and swim. After a couple minutes come out and repeat till desired. Good luck!
November 04, 2010 @ 10:35:36 AM
I bought a pair of Skulls for $100 that are still a dark indigo, but it seems the previous owner has washed/soaked them a couple times so they aren't stiff at all. Should I starch them or should I just wear them, I've worn them once so far and the denim has some creases, but they don't look as distinct as they should if they were brand new.

I would wash them once, hang dry them, and then wear them. I wouldn't bother with the starching.
November 08, 2010 @ 19:24:16 PM
2 Questions..

Are A.P.C New Standard in Raw sanforized or non-sanforized. If non-sanforized, then I should soak them before I start my year of wear?

If I get caught in a rainstorm or something similar, does that basically count as a 'cold soak'?

Thanks.
November 08, 2010 @ 21:19:14 PM
apcs are sanforized.
try not to get caught in a rainstorm. if wouldnt call getting rain on ur jeans a soak unless it was a terribly large amount (like enough for you to just put it in a tub of water) and for an extensive period of time like 45 min+.
November 08, 2010 @ 21:56:49 PM
what detergent do you guys use for washing your denim? also, after hang drying, do you guys throw your jeans in the dryer for a minute or so to soften it up?

i know washing shouldn't be complicated but i'd really like to have peace of mind that my 13 months of not washing my APCs won't go to waste
November 09, 2010 @ 16:27:04 PM
what detergent do you guys use for washing your denim? also, after hang drying, do you guys throw your jeans in the dryer for a minute or so to soften it up?

i know washing shouldn't be complicated but i'd really like to have peace of mind that my 13 months of not washing my APCs won't go to waste

I've been happy with any of 3 different types of soap to wash jeans with: Dr. Bronner's 18-in-1 liquid soap, Momotaro's liquid detergent, and Samurai's Thunder Soap powder.

I don't put my jeans in the dryer to soften them up, I just wear them stiff.
November 10, 2010 @ 15:12:43 PM
^thanks a lot, where can i find these soaps?
November 10, 2010 @ 16:02:32 PM
^thanks a lot, where can i find these soaps?

Dr. Bronner's is the easiest to get in the US, I bought mine from amazon.com. The Samurai Thunder Soap is available from Blue in Green in individual wash packets for cheap.

The Momotaro liquid detergent was the hardest to get, I had to order it from Japan through the Rakuten website.
November 10, 2010 @ 22:27:26 PM
right on, i'll look into it. anyone use any detergents i can get locally from Target or Walmart etc?
November 10, 2010 @ 22:54:21 PM
I use Woolite Dark, which is quite easy to find anywhere in the states.
November 10, 2010 @ 22:58:24 PM
thanks bud
November 11, 2010 @ 13:53:28 PM
it doesnt bother me too much but what do you guys think of inside out, dry ironing the knees?
November 18, 2010 @ 01:31:42 AM
i got a little jizz on my pantleg, how do i get it off before school tomorow?

IRONHEART 364S SIZE 32 forsale, pm me

November 19, 2010 @ 03:32:51 AM
it doesnt bother me too much but what do you guys think of inside out, dry ironing the knees?

I don't think there's any point to doing that, they'll just stretch out again the next time you wear them.
November 19, 2010 @ 03:33:42 AM
i got a little jizz on my pantleg, how do i get it off before school tomorow?

Wash your jeans, I don't think spot cleaning will work great for something that sticky.
November 21, 2010 @ 20:31:37 PM
I don't think there's any point to doing that, they'll just stretch out again the next time you wear them.

your absolutly right, i think it looks dumb on a looser fit but tighter its not that bad..
November 21, 2010 @ 23:12:31 PM
does washing APC denim in its first month of purchase screw up the whole fading and breaking process of the denim?
November 22, 2010 @ 00:27:25 AM
does washing APC denim in its first month of purchase screw up the whole fading and breaking process of the denim?

No.
November 23, 2010 @ 16:40:48 PM
I copped some raw unbrandeds at UO.
I've been wearin them for like 2 months now, is it too late for soaking?

im so lost on this soaking business, what does it do?
I hear something bout fades and what not.

I also want my stacks a bit more smaller, not less stacks but smaller stacks.
should i taper em? how would i find the right measurements.

my bad for my lack of knowledge.
November 24, 2010 @ 10:54:01 AM
I copped some raw unbrandeds at UO.
I've been wearin them for like 2 months now, is it too late for soaking?

With sanforized denim like the Unbrandeds, it's never too late for a soak.

im so lost on this soaking business, what does it do?
I hear something bout fades and what not.

Soaking extends the life of your jeans by strengthening the cotton fibers as they hydrate and removing starch from the garment. It doesn't affect fades too significantly, except that having less starch in your jeans does cause wear to be a bit slower. Soaking does remove the sheen from raw denim, though.

I also want my stacks a bit more smaller, not less stacks but smaller stacks.
should i taper em? how would i find the right measurements.

my bad for my lack of knowledge.

Tapering would make smaller stacks. Hard to say what measurement for the tapering, though, everybody is different.
November 24, 2010 @ 12:32:13 PM
Damn, thanks for the insight.

Alright so to start this process, what should I start doing first?
November 25, 2010 @ 20:37:28 PM
Damn, thanks for the insight.

Alright so to start this process, what should I start doing first?

Here's how I do it. Fill the tub with the hottest water that your tap will get. Put the jeans in the water and use something to weigh them down so that they don't float back up during the soaking process. Let them soak for 45 minutes to an hour. Take the jeans out and hang dry them. Resume wearing.

If your jeans have a leather patch, it is advisable to treat the patch with Obenauf's LP to help prevent cracking and overt shrinkage of the patch.
November 27, 2010 @ 15:41:20 PM
IDK, I think a cracking leather patch shows character. It's weird to have a pristine patch with ancient jeans.

Also it might be worth mentioning that if you don't do an initial soak, your combs will eventually tear; this is because the starch breaks into crystals over time, and slowly cut away at the cotton. So if you've ever seen evo pics with highly contrasted combs but what looks like small rips and tears throughout, you know that person didn't soak.
November 28, 2010 @ 10:47:28 AM
IDK, I think a cracking leather patch shows character. It's weird to have a pristine patch with ancient jeans.

Also it might be worth mentioning that if you don't do an initial soak, your combs will eventually tear; this is because the starch breaks into crystals over time, and slowly cut away at the cotton. So if you've ever seen evo pics with highly contrasted combs but what looks like small rips and tears throughout, you know that person didn't soak.

The patch won't look pristine treated with Obenauf's. It will still look worn and darker after the treatment and soak, it just won't shrink disproportionately or crack.
Please login first to reply.
x