Get 15% Off + Free Shipping on Orders over $150 - Use Code: EPICSUMMER
December 23, 2010 @ 01:33 PM
ryun

wear a belt?

not really a belt guy D:
December 23, 2010 @ 01:56 PM
infiniteme

Just got some a.p.c ps. The waist fit me just fine and i don’t want it to start stretching. Is there a way that i can make the stretching minimum by washing it or not make it stretch at all? And also will pre soaking make most of my starch go away?

wear a belt?

not really a belt guy D:

Unfortunately, wearing a belt is the only way to minimize stretch on a pair of jeans when you wear them. Even with a belt, there will be some stretch, but nowhere near as much as without one.

Presoaking will indeed make most of the starch go away. It will take more than one soak to get rid of *all* of the starch, though. Also, be aware that you will lose the sheen that the raw denim comes with if you presoak.
December 23, 2010 @ 02:44 PM
ryun

alrightt. thanks.
December 24, 2010 @ 01:39 AM
shnxramen

has anybody gotten the APC x Aesop cleaner? i was thinking about buying some but not sure if i wanna drop $35 if its just soapy water
January 9, 2011 @ 06:46 AM
AllenFang

anyone starch their raw jeans to make it harder?
if so, for what purpose?
January 9, 2011 @ 09:51 AM
infiniteme

anyone starch their raw jeans to make it harder?
if so, for what purpose?

Some people do this. The starch makes the denim wear faster, so your jeans fade faster. The downside is that you get holes in the denim faster as well.
January 9, 2011 @ 03:59 PM
laxlife1234

And it does weaken the fabric. People just do that cause they are lazy as fuck. If you are really willing to put the time, don't starch. If it is after a soak I guess that's ok, but some people spray their jeans everyday.

www.jacobskoglund.com | www.jacobsphotobooth.tumblr.com

January 9, 2011 @ 06:08 PM
jeremy8mn

does anyone know how to bring back the original color of the denim if the color starts fading?
January 9, 2011 @ 06:09 PM
jeremy8mn

for apc new cures btw
January 9, 2011 @ 08:07 PM
laxlife1234

^Lol, your dumb. Simple as this: Don't buy raw denim.

www.jacobskoglund.com | www.jacobsphotobooth.tumblr.com

January 9, 2011 @ 10:33 PM
Deadlock

i spilled beer on my APC NS last night... I tried dabbing at them with water and towel but now its just turned into one big dark stain. I waited for them to dry obviously. How do I get rid of this? I just got the jeans 3 weeks ago so they are still basically new.
January 10, 2011 @ 12:16 AM
infiniteme

does anyone know how to bring back the original color of the denim if the color starts fading?

There's no realistic way of doing this. Jeans fade because the indigo that they are dyed with is lost over time with wear. In theory, you could bring back the color by re-dyeing the jeans, but in practice, it's not really possible, because, to my knowledge, no one offers this kind of service. Even if you could re-dye, it wouldn't look exactly the same as it did brand new.

If you want jeans that keep their original color, I would recommend the Pure Blue Japan NC models. Those are dyed with indanthrene, a non-fading dye, instead of indigo, so they keep their color.

i spilled beer on my APC NS last night... I tried dabbing at them with water and towel but now its just turned into one big dark stain. I waited for them to dry obviously. How do I get rid of this? I just got the jeans 3 weeks ago so they are still basically new.

If the water and towel didn't work, you're probably going to have to wash them. To minimize indigo loss, I would recommend a hand wash over a machine wash. Also, I would recommend soaking the denim in hot, soapy water for at least 30 minutes before you actually start washing.

Don't worry, washing denim never ruins it. You'll lose the initial sheen of the denim when the jeans touch water, but you'll still get good fades as long as you don't wash too often.
January 10, 2011 @ 12:39 AM
Deadlock

There's no realistic way of doing this. Jeans fade because the indigo that they are dyed with is lost over time with wear. In theory, you could bring back the color by re-dyeing the jeans, but in practice, it's not really possible, because, to my knowledge, no one offers this kind of service. Even if you could re-dye, it wouldn't look exactly the same as it did brand new.

If you want jeans that keep their original color, I would recommend the Pure Blue Japan NC models. Those are dyed with indanthrene, a non-fading dye, instead of indigo, so they keep their color.

If the water and towel didn't work, you're probably going to have to wash them. To minimize indigo loss, I would recommend a hand wash over a machine wash. Also, I would recommend soaking the denim in hot, soapy water for at least 30 minutes before you actually start washing.

Don't worry, washing denim never ruins it. You'll lose the initial sheen of the denim when the jeans touch water, but you'll still get good fades as long as you don't wash too often.

Well the stain isn't super noticeable.. it is just kind of annoying... Should i just wait? over time when the jeans fade, does that mean the stain will also fade?
January 10, 2011 @ 12:53 AM
infiniteme

Well the stain isn't super noticeable.. it is just kind of annoying... Should i just wait? over time when the jeans fade, does that mean the stain will also fade?

You could just wait and see what happens, that certainly wouldn't hurt your jeans. The stain might even fade faster than the jeans do.
January 10, 2011 @ 02:39 PM
Deadlock

You could just wait and see what happens, that certainly wouldn't hurt your jeans. The stain might even fade faster than the jeans do.

So last night I kind of rubbed/blotted it with water again to try and get the beer off. now its just a large dark spot. Will that go away if I soak them? And should I do cold water or hot? And should i use a bit of tide?
January 10, 2011 @ 10:19 PM
infiniteme

So last night I kind of rubbed/blotted it with water again to try and get the beer off. now its just a large dark spot. Will that go away if I soak them? And should I do cold water or hot? And should i use a bit of tide?

It might go away if you soak them, but you might also have to do a little bit of a hand wash in that area while you are soaking to get it all out. I would recommend hot water, it tends to be a little more effective for soaking out stains in my experience, and the Tide will definitely help. I've been told that Woolite Dark would be even better than Tide if you have access to that.
January 11, 2011 @ 11:07 PM
ony

So i've been wearing my jeans for about 4 months straight, the smell really isn't bothering me and neither is the dirt. BUT im really urging to just give them a nice wash I even bought some samurai thunder soap. Should i hold out for another month or two??? Will the contrast be worth the wait??
January 12, 2011 @ 12:02 AM
jozsef_csanyi

Unless you leave them soaked for hours you won't lose too much indigo. It would be good for the denim's longevity to wash anyway.
January 12, 2011 @ 12:29 AM
ony

Unless you leave them soaked for hours you won't lose too much indigo. It would be good for the denim's longevity to wash anyway.

good enough excuse for me thanks
January 12, 2011 @ 11:35 PM
buffaloclone

6 months is up, fades are pretty noticeable

i just throw them in the wash now? high heat?

http://dogfart69.tumblr.com/ follow ya boi, its pretty much all puppies and babes

January 14, 2011 @ 08:47 PM
infiniteme

6 months is up, fades are pretty noticeable

i just throw them in the wash now? high heat?

Yeah, you can wash now. Hot wash is the most popular way to go at this point.
January 23, 2011 @ 02:15 AM
ntm503

Is there a problem with using cold water for the initial soak? because I keep seeing guides up with using warm or hot instead. I suppose denim might fade better with warm/hot water? can someone verify this?
January 23, 2011 @ 04:38 AM
hyperpiper45

Is there a problem with using cold water for the initial soak? because I keep seeing guides up with using warm or hot instead. I suppose denim might fade better with warm/hot water? can someone verify this?

The main reason people use warm/hot water is because it makes the denim shrink more so get out as much of the initial shrink as possible. However some believe that cold water causes less indigo loss, but on an initial soak it shouldn't really be a problem.
January 23, 2011 @ 05:42 PM
infiniteme

You might retain more a little more indigo with a cold soak, but I don't really recommend doing it because you get almost no shrinkage with a cold soak. That defeats one of the major purposes of soaking before wearing, which is to get the shrinkage out of the garment.

The only situation in which I would recommend a cold soak (other than for cleaning) is if the jeans are already too tight on you, and you are worried that a hot soak would shrink them to the point where you can't wear them at all anymore. Other than that, I would do hot soaks, because cold soaks are pretty much a waste of time when it comes to shrinkage.
January 23, 2011 @ 06:11 PM
ntm503

^thanks for the help fellas
January 25, 2011 @ 09:37 PM
polskakris

Whats the goal behind a soak, instead of a wash. Got a pair of NAF that ive had for 7 months and i finally washed them, would it have been better to soak them?
January 26, 2011 @ 12:33 AM
jozsef_csanyi

Soak is just less agitation and so less shrinkage + dye loss, if you wanted them cleanest then no wash would be more effective.
Also not trying to be a douche but 'better' is a little arbitrary, denim lovers are into lots of different things like some who vintage style fades, others want massive contrast, slub, all that.
January 26, 2011 @ 01:37 AM
infiniteme

Whats the goal behind a soak, instead of a wash. Got a pair of NAF that ive had for 7 months and i finally washed them, would it have been better to soak them?

There are 2 main goals of soaking:

1. To remove starch from the jeans. Just about every pair of jeans comes starched brand new. Removing the starch will decrease the contrast of your fades but increase the life of your jeans.

2. If the denim is unsanforized, the soak is performed in order to shrink the jeans down to their proper size while minimizing indigo loss. This reason does not apply to sanforized denim like N&F, because sanforized denim doesn't really shrink even with a soak.

Washing gets the jeans cleaner than just soaking, so in your case, after 7 months of wear, it's probably best that you just washed instead of soaking.
January 26, 2011 @ 09:20 AM
LamChops

if u want it to fade faster that is. soaking keeps more color
January 26, 2011 @ 11:23 AM
Ro_2985

sweet thx for the info

Please login first to reply.