November 9, 2010 @ 04:27 PM
infiniteme

what detergent do you guys use for washing your denim? also, after hang drying, do you guys throw your jeans in the dryer for a minute or so to soften it up?

i know washing shouldn't be complicated but i'd really like to have peace of mind that my 13 months of not washing my APCs won't go to waste

I've been happy with any of 3 different types of soap to wash jeans with: Dr. Bronner's 18-in-1 liquid soap, Momotaro's liquid detergent, and Samurai's Thunder Soap powder.

I don't put my jeans in the dryer to soften them up, I just wear them stiff.
November 10, 2010 @ 03:12 PM
hools

^thanks a lot, where can i find these soaps?
November 10, 2010 @ 04:02 PM
infiniteme

^thanks a lot, where can i find these soaps?

Dr. Bronner's is the easiest to get in the US, I bought mine from amazon.com. The Samurai Thunder Soap is available from Blue in Green in individual wash packets for cheap.

The Momotaro liquid detergent was the hardest to get, I had to order it from Japan through the Rakuten website.
November 10, 2010 @ 10:27 PM
hools

right on, i'll look into it. anyone use any detergents i can get locally from Target or Walmart etc?
November 10, 2010 @ 10:54 PM
TH9

I use Woolite Dark, which is quite easy to find anywhere in the states.
November 10, 2010 @ 10:58 PM
hools

thanks bud
November 11, 2010 @ 01:53 PM
Godskrilla

it doesnt bother me too much but what do you guys think of inside out, dry ironing the knees?
November 18, 2010 @ 01:31 AM
buffaloclone

i got a little jizz on my pantleg, how do i get it off before school tomorow?

http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/221009#4496439 IRONHEART,RAYBANS&CUSTOM LEATHER BUY MY SHIT http://dogfart69.tumblr.com/

November 19, 2010 @ 03:32 AM
infiniteme

it doesnt bother me too much but what do you guys think of inside out, dry ironing the knees?

I don't think there's any point to doing that, they'll just stretch out again the next time you wear them.
November 19, 2010 @ 03:33 AM
infiniteme

i got a little jizz on my pantleg, how do i get it off before school tomorow?

Wash your jeans, I don't think spot cleaning will work great for something that sticky.
November 21, 2010 @ 08:31 PM
Godskrilla

I don't think there's any point to doing that, they'll just stretch out again the next time you wear them.

your absolutly right, i think it looks dumb on a looser fit but tighter its not that bad..
November 21, 2010 @ 11:12 PM
gakidou134

does washing APC denim in its first month of purchase screw up the whole fading and breaking process of the denim?
November 22, 2010 @ 12:27 AM
infiniteme

does washing APC denim in its first month of purchase screw up the whole fading and breaking process of the denim?

No.
November 23, 2010 @ 04:40 PM
Masamune

I copped some raw unbrandeds at UO.
I've been wearin them for like 2 months now, is it too late for soaking?

im so lost on this soaking business, what does it do?
I hear something bout fades and what not.

I also want my stacks a bit more smaller, not less stacks but smaller stacks.
should i taper em? how would i find the right measurements.

my bad for my lack of knowledge.
November 24, 2010 @ 10:54 AM
infiniteme

I copped some raw unbrandeds at UO.
I've been wearin them for like 2 months now, is it too late for soaking?

With sanforized denim like the Unbrandeds, it's never too late for a soak.

im so lost on this soaking business, what does it do?
I hear something bout fades and what not.

Soaking extends the life of your jeans by strengthening the cotton fibers as they hydrate and removing starch from the garment. It doesn't affect fades too significantly, except that having less starch in your jeans does cause wear to be a bit slower. Soaking does remove the sheen from raw denim, though.

I also want my stacks a bit more smaller, not less stacks but smaller stacks.
should i taper em? how would i find the right measurements.

my bad for my lack of knowledge.

Tapering would make smaller stacks. Hard to say what measurement for the tapering, though, everybody is different.
November 24, 2010 @ 12:32 PM
Masamune

Damn, thanks for the insight.

Alright so to start this process, what should I start doing first?
November 25, 2010 @ 08:37 PM
infiniteme

Damn, thanks for the insight.

Alright so to start this process, what should I start doing first?

Here's how I do it. Fill the tub with the hottest water that your tap will get. Put the jeans in the water and use something to weigh them down so that they don't float back up during the soaking process. Let them soak for 45 minutes to an hour. Take the jeans out and hang dry them. Resume wearing.

If your jeans have a leather patch, it is advisable to treat the patch with Obenauf's LP to help prevent cracking and overt shrinkage of the patch.
November 27, 2010 @ 03:41 PM
TH9

IDK, I think a cracking leather patch shows character. It's weird to have a pristine patch with ancient jeans.

Also it might be worth mentioning that if you don't do an initial soak, your combs will eventually tear; this is because the starch breaks into crystals over time, and slowly cut away at the cotton. So if you've ever seen evo pics with highly contrasted combs but what looks like small rips and tears throughout, you know that person didn't soak.
November 28, 2010 @ 10:47 AM
infiniteme

IDK, I think a cracking leather patch shows character. It's weird to have a pristine patch with ancient jeans.

Also it might be worth mentioning that if you don't do an initial soak, your combs will eventually tear; this is because the starch breaks into crystals over time, and slowly cut away at the cotton. So if you've ever seen evo pics with highly contrasted combs but what looks like small rips and tears throughout, you know that person didn't soak.

The patch won't look pristine treated with Obenauf's. It will still look worn and darker after the treatment and soak, it just won't shrink disproportionately or crack.
November 28, 2010 @ 04:10 PM
Simon_

is it possible to let only the legs shrink
so the become skinnier?
November 28, 2010 @ 06:14 PM
infiniteme

is it possible to let only the legs shrink
so the become skinnier?

I doubt it'd work, but you could try only soaking the legs. I think you're ultimately going to need a tailor though if you only want the legs skinnier.
December 3, 2010 @ 02:35 AM
slap

My UO Indigo Skinny is my first pair of raw selvedge denim.
It's been almost a month and the crotch area seems to be fading first, so I'm scared that it might rip.
What are some care tips and do's/dont's to prevent a crotch blowout?

Also, I'm never soaked it. Should I do a cold soak?

$81 selvedge denim: https://www.weargustin.com/invite_from/4200 Karmaloop/Plndr Rep: SLAP20.

December 3, 2010 @ 04:29 AM
infiniteme

My UO Indigo Skinny is my first pair of raw selvedge denim.
It's been almost a month and the crotch area seems to be fading first, so I'm scared that it might rip.
What are some care tips and do's/dont's to prevent a crotch blowout?

Also, I'm never soaked it. Should I do a cold soak?

There are a couple of things that you can still do at this point to help prevent a crotch blowout. First, you can reinforce the crotch with any spare denim fabric that you have.

Also, I would recommend that you do that cold soak. It gets the starch out of the fabric, which slows down its wear.
December 20, 2010 @ 01:20 PM
boomtime8

Hey on hemming before soak...my new jeans are at 37.5'' and I like to wear my jeans at 31.5-32. Would it be smart to hem them to around 33-34 wear them for a month then do a light soak to get some shrink then hem them to a 32. I just dont want to hem them first then end up with it too short. Any advice be great
December 20, 2010 @ 01:43 PM
infiniteme

Hey on hemming before soak...my new jeans are at 37.5'' and I like to wear my jeans at 31.5-32. Would it be smart to hem them to around 33-34 wear them for a month then do a light soak to get some shrink then hem them to a 32. I just dont want to hem them first then end up with it too short. Any advice be great

What type of jeans did you get? My recommendation to you can differ greatly depending on what you have.
December 20, 2010 @ 04:16 PM
boomtime8

I got the Naked & Famous x Momotaro colab
December 20, 2010 @ 06:14 PM
infiniteme

I got the Naked & Famous x Momotaro colab

Then what you suggested should be fine. You might not even have to hem a second time after the soak.
December 21, 2010 @ 01:20 AM
itzkin

Hey guys I need some tips on denim care. I have a pair of NDG White Denims. They are still somewhat stiff but its getting dirty and I think it might need a soak or actual cleaning. Anyone have any advice on care tips? What about what type of powder / cleaning agents I should use with my white denims to keep them as white as possible? Also this would not affect any honeycombs / whiskering I have on it already right? (Not sure if it really matters on White Denim).
December 23, 2010 @ 04:58 AM
ryun

Just got some a.p.c ps. The waist fit me just fine and i don’t want it to start stretching. Is there a way that i can make the stretching minimum by washing it or not make it stretch at all? And also will pre soaking make most of my starch go away?
December 23, 2010 @ 12:46 PM
szszcool

wear a belt?

Please login first to reply.