Denim Care Thread (for denim FAQ)

March 18, 2010 @ 00:49:02
I'm just looking to make them a lot lighter...but still a deep blue..not like white some of those ocean washes.

These jeans down below look sick. I can't believe they have been washed once and soaked 3-4 times. They still seem pretty dark? How do I do a regular wash?

Machine cycle with woolite dark or regular detergent? hang dry again?

Or should I try repeating the hot soak without any detergent and go from there?
March 18, 2010 @ 01:25:10
hot soaks w/out the woolite would probably allow for more dye to go than colder soaks
March 18, 2010 @ 01:34:32
^cool.

I was trippin out when I was rinsing out the woolite dark...thinking all that blue was more indigo bleeding out...but it was just the soap detergent like my roomate thought.
I'll see how they turn out, before trying a really hot soak. this first soak was pretty warm tho.

So it's my understanding to soak 3-4 times...before going all out with a regular wash at like 1 year point? (I know it all depends on the person but wanna hear what y'all have to say)
March 18, 2010 @ 02:12:07
a rule of thumb is to be willing to wash them whenever they're really dirty enough to warrant a wash, regardless of how long they've gone without one. and there are different reasons for people doing soaks, some do it to strengthen the denim every few months to prevent things like crotch blowouts, some might soak to get rid of some dye, etc. but typically if you soak them too often they might lose too much dye before you want them to, at least from what i've been reading. i might be wrong about that though.
March 18, 2010 @ 02:43:48
Thanks Carlton, I mean "In Space" forall your responses.

So from what I've read...one soak will soften the denim and like you said help strengthen them against crotch blowouts...so in that sense I'm happy I did it...

but lots of people say that although no real distinctive creases/contrast show after first soak...that they still have a chance to develop down the road. is this correct?
March 18, 2010 @ 03:01:42
lolz

after you soak them you have to wear them a lot again to get the creases (whiskers and honeycombs) to come back. and the contrast with the fades does come eventually, and i think soaking occasionally (every few months i guess) may help the contrast in time as well
March 19, 2010 @ 21:59:31
I'm just looking to make them a lot lighter...but still a deep blue..not like white some of those ocean washes.

These jeans down below look sick. I can't believe they have been washed once and soaked 3-4 times. They still seem pretty dark? How do I do a regular wash?

Machine cycle with woolite dark or regular detergent? hang dry again?

Or should I try repeating the hot soak without any detergent and go from there?

Lol thanks for the love for my apc's
but for my first wash I pretty much used 2 cups of regular detergent, medium cycle, and used hot water.
and yes i did hang dry.

It also depends on how hard your wear them
March 20, 2010 @ 02:52:17
Two cups is a TON of detergent. You only need like a quarter of a cup. Everything else is just overkill and wasteful.
March 20, 2010 @ 10:35:25
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to this raw denim thing and I got a few questions,

And what's the point of soaking jeans before you actually wear them? Is it to shrink them, minimize bleeding, soften them or like all 3? Also, does soaking after you've already wore the jeans for a while actually shrink the jeans and keep them shrunk? Cuz won't the jeans have been stretched out already and will just stretch out again after a few wears?

And what does elastane in denim do? Does it keep the denim from stretching out permanently? (Like it'll go back to its original size)
March 20, 2010 @ 12:19:20
soaking before you wear them can lose dye to minimize bleeding (hot soak), and the denim does get softer i think after you soak/wash them. they'll shrink if they're unsanforized. if they're sanforized, then shrinking will be minimal if at all. (sanforized denim is denim that's been washed or manipulated or stretched or something by the factory in order to essentially get the stretching out of the way) i'll quote a part of a post on a thread i found from google
Originally posted by Inactive User
Sanforizing

Sanforizing denim is a method of stretching and manipulating the cloth in the factory prior to any washing so that any shrinking during future washes will be minimalized. It is important to note if your raw jeans are sanforized or not before determining what size to buy, non-sanforized jeans will shrink 7-10%, while sanforized jeans will shrink 1-5%. It is often advised to give non-sanforized jeans a warm soak before wearing them to get the shrinking done before you create wear marks on the jeans.

and i can't help you with that last part bc i don't know what elastane in denim is lolz
March 20, 2010 @ 21:14:19
Elastane is a synthetic material that's, as the word might suggest, elastic. Jeans made with elastane are often called "stretch" denim or something similar because they have the ability to stretch out.
March 20, 2010 @ 21:42:10
so anyone know how to get super glue out of some lvc's?
March 20, 2010 @ 22:55:43
^some acetone might do the trick
March 20, 2010 @ 22:57:34
lol i was about to post acetone too. just googled it and it seems that it *could* work, but it might damage the denim, im not sure. if you're willing to try acetone on em though then maybe see how it affects the denim on some spot you can't really see so if it doesn't mess it up then you could just apply the acetone to the glue
March 20, 2010 @ 23:17:38
Word I read on that too. I might buy real acetone from home depot. I tried nail polish remover that is supposed to contain acetone and that stuff didnt do crap.
March 20, 2010 @ 23:54:39
Picked up some Nudie SJDJ last year on sale. Never tried to wear 'em until yesterday. Problem is I lost about 10 pounds since last year.. They are 33x32 and now I am about a 31. Do you think a hot soak is enough to bring them down to my size? Should I just hot soak for 30 mins and wear them while they dry? I've been wearing raw for a few years but I never had to soak in order to shrink. I'm worried they wont shrink enough and I won't be able to resell them for shit..

Thanks in advance y'all

you could just wear a belt
March 21, 2010 @ 16:52:52
ask your tailor to take in the waist and the seat, thats what i did with my RRL's. they were a 38 and i got it taken into a 35.5-36. and they fit nicely now.
March 22, 2010 @ 05:26:47
with the 501 stf, should I hot soak, or cold soak? What are the effects of either? Do they even have different effects on the denim?
March 22, 2010 @ 10:32:48
The hotter the soak, the more the shrink. I'd suggest a hot soak right off the bat so that you aren't surprised by any more drastic shrinking later. You'll get a bit of color loss, but there'll be plenty left over.
March 24, 2010 @ 08:07:30
there is less color fade with a cold soak?
March 29, 2010 @ 00:13:56
Yo, so if my jeans(apcNS) start to smell, how do i clean w/o fucking it up? febreeze or soak? and if soak how long w/ what temp? thankssss
March 29, 2010 @ 00:27:54
there is less color fade with a cold soak?

To a point there is, but its not as noticeable, just do the hottest soak you can, so that you can get maximum shrinkage out of it as stated before.
March 29, 2010 @ 22:07:56
air it out, or u can put it in a freezer....
March 30, 2010 @ 01:39:51
how long in the freezer^
March 31, 2010 @ 19:52:19

________________PRE SOAK____________________________POST SOAK______________________

501's STF

Soaked the upper part first to check if it would work correctly and it did. They shrunk a little. Then I soaked them fully in hot water for about 20 min. Let them dry out the whole day and yeah they fit nicely.
April 02, 2010 @ 17:27:11
so after you wear a pair after 6months and you tryna washem to fade, how long in the washer? and hang dry after? sorry noob question..haha
April 02, 2010 @ 21:36:03
wear longer before washing.
April 14, 2010 @ 18:51:29
whats a good way to minimized bleeding onto shoes? Bought a new pair of raw selvedge jeans and I don't like cuffing too much. My wallabees already starting to show some blue on em smh
April 16, 2010 @ 13:43:43
put some tape on the around the hem
April 16, 2010 @ 17:33:00
even if you cuff, it will still stain your kicks (though it is minimal compared to not cuffing).

how do you apply tape on the hem? wouldn't that look funny?
Please login first to reply.
x