Labor Day - Enjoy 25% Off Your Order. Use code: LABORDAY25
March 29, 2012 @ 04:02 PM
whatupkiddo

was interested in purchasing my first ever raw denim and i just had some few questions.
budget- 100 sad
1) what are the preferred brands
2) sizing.
3) maintenance

much appreciated! pictures of what you guys own would be nie too
March 29, 2012 @ 05:22 PM
tedmosby

1) Check out unbranded jeans, 78$ and their quality is pretty good.
2) The tapered and straight fits can go true to size, not too sure about skinnies.
3) No such thing as maintenance! Beat the shit out of them. Just try to avoid wash or getting them wet for as long as you want. (Most people prefer 4-6 months before wanting to soak them)
March 29, 2012 @ 07:12 PM
eBreezy

save money and purchase either of the following

1) APC, Naked&Famous, Nudie, 3Sixteen - basic starting lineup for raw denim enthusiasts

otherwise ^ go with unbranded
March 30, 2012 @ 12:04 AM
Dunes

yeah, if you're really concerned about the money go with unbrandeds, but honestly i would just drop the extra cash and go with some higher quality denim that will turn out better and last you longer. i got some APCs 5 months ago, and even though they were my first pair of raws, i really wish i'd spent the extra money and gotten some iron hearts or imperials instead.

buy my stuff: http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/208108

March 30, 2012 @ 02:45 AM
Kslo

1)If you can afford them I would definitely say go for a pair of 3sixteen
2)measure you best fitting pair of jeans and compare those measurements with the size chart over at self edge
3)beat em up, give them at least a soak whenever they're dirty, I would even recommend giving them a pre soak to get any shrinkage out and maximize fading potential

http://www.reddit.com/r/rawdenim/

March 30, 2012 @ 03:47 AM
whatupkiddo

if i move budget cap to 150. then naked n famous a good choice?
March 30, 2012 @ 05:27 AM
deegee

^ i havent really dived into the realm of denim that deeply yet, but my N&F's are fucking dope. only had em for a few weeks tho, but theyre cool to me personally. cawp thru karmaloop for discount codes bruh, got mine for like 110 w/ free shipping

http://www.prevailco.com

March 30, 2012 @ 05:34 AM
whatupkiddo

naked&famous

saw these, and was curious how to size them.
im 5'6" 145-148 lbs. normally wear a 32, a bit big though, if i size to 30, its pushing it, and 31s are too rare to find -___-
would a 32 be fine?
March 30, 2012 @ 05:23 PM
deegee

to be completely honest, i wouldn't know how the n&f stretch works.. but i did own a pair of WeSC's that were selvedge stretch and those joints were a complete waste of money trying to fade them and shit.. because of the stretch, the comfort was great, but as far as getting fades and shit, you're better off getting a pair of just regular denim.

http://www.prevailco.com

March 31, 2012 @ 05:41 PM
havok...

i would say...save up another 50 or so and buy a pair of APCs or even 3Sixteens. 3Sixteens will run you a little over 200 though. i had a pair of N&F and i wasnt a huge fan. the only other pair id buy from them is the Duck Canvas.
March 31, 2012 @ 10:46 PM
scarlem

apcs and don't u ever wash dem shiz
April 1, 2012 @ 12:05 AM
Gentry

^ Lol. whatever you do, just don't listen to that.

Back to your original question:
Go with unbranded for cheap. But if you want to step it up a little definitely go with 3sixteen. The denim and construction is far superior than apc.
April 1, 2012 @ 01:34 AM
shoesarenice

Personally I like my naked and famous weird guys. I sized down one and they stretch a bit, also with the right coupon codes you can get a pair on karmaloop for around $100
April 1, 2012 @ 05:12 AM
jordan_head23

I agree just save more and get 3sixteen

i would say...save up another 50 or so and buy a pair of APCs or even 3Sixteens. 3Sixteens will run you a little over 200 though. i had a pair of N&F and i wasnt a huge fan. the only other pair id buy from them is the Duck Canvas.
April 1, 2012 @ 03:51 PM
scarlem

Go with unbranded for cheap. But if you want to step it up a little definitely go with 3sixteen. The denim and construction is far superior than apc.

too bad 3sixteen fades like ass,
and nigga if you want contrast you don't wash your denimz.
April 1, 2012 @ 09:03 PM
kr00kd

Go with apc or 3sixteen or nudie in that price range

Naked and famous kinda suck IMO, but of your sz 34 I got a pair of black weird guys for sale

http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/166901/

April 1, 2012 @ 09:43 PM

Inactive

lol never buy nudie under any circumstances better off with levis or unbranded
April 2, 2012 @ 01:02 AM
dellzz

Jcrew 484 and apc new cure.
April 2, 2012 @ 05:34 AM
ANTHONEEE

lol never buy nudie under any circumstances better off with levis or unbranded

nudies washed denim is pretty nice though. as far as their raw denim goes though...

http://anthonywho.com

April 2, 2012 @ 05:36 AM
D. Rose

Unbranded then Apcs then Imps then Apcs then Imp x Sf

LOWBALL PARADISE: http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/159669

April 2, 2012 @ 12:51 PM
highway

if it helps, one of the guys over at a local shop told me no matter what waist size you buy for n&f, the length always runs 34.
yeah, this is completely untrue . . .
April 11, 2012 @ 07:01 AM
horribleadvice

suspended

Welcome to Hypebeast.

1) Wrangler's Rustler makes for a perfect first raw denim at a affordable price.
2)Just buy your regular size.
3) Wash as often as possible, this promotes more fading because that is ultimately the goal you are looking for.

Enjoy!
April 11, 2012 @ 07:35 AM
Brown Rug

I've always though of Naked and Famous denim as being the best 'newbie' jeans out there. Relatively cheap, great quality... if you don't like raw denim then it's not going to hurt as much compared to buying a pair of APCs.
April 11, 2012 @ 04:31 PM
jgrand03

Like everyone else said got with some n&f off karmaloop they can be had for around 100-150
April 11, 2012 @ 06:35 PM
highway

Like everyone else said got with some n&f off karmaloop they can be had for around 100-150
you can def get some pairs for under $100, like the broken twill -- which would be a killer first pair of raws
April 13, 2012 @ 10:03 AM
caamounmane

you can def get some pairs for under $100, like the broken twill -- which would be a killer first pair of raws

qft. but you can't go wrong with $78 shipped for unbranded either.

or just say fuck it and get a pair of flat heads.
April 14, 2012 @ 05:12 AM
Gentry

too bad 3sixteen fades like ass,
and nigga if you want contrast you don't wash your denimz.

Well, you obviously don't know what your talking about. No worries though, everyone has to learn sometime. The denim from 3sixteen is superior to other brands around its price range like Nudie or APC. Also, what do you mean when you say they fade like ass? In my experience I have never seen jeans fade to brown. Maybe you took a shit in your jeans by mistake and didn't ever wash them?

That brings up my other point in which you tried to argue and successfully showed your ignorance. You don't have to "never wash your jeans" to achieve great contrast. They will just fall apart.

So please, don't misguide people with your ignorance.

To the OP, good luck on finding the right jeans =)
April 17, 2012 @ 10:28 PM
overswagulating

3) maintenance: after 4-6 months of wear, wash inside out or (a lot of reading)

advise wearing your raws for at least 6 months, thereby achieving that second-skin denim feel!

Before delving into the instructions, tips, etc. portion of this post though, it’s important to reiterate that the sooner you wash your denim, the less chance you will have for sharper fades. This is because one of the primary steps in manufacturing raw denim is the color treatment stage, (aka indigo dying) where the denim is dipped in vats of indigo dye (natural or synthetic). As the indigo is not 100% absorbed into the material, after you wash your denim, you are losing that deep blue/black color and as well the rigid feel (due to starch loss). Thus, you want to wear your raw denim for at least 6 months prior to washing, but no longer than 1 year – otherwise the crotch in your denim will rip (or “blow out”)

Now, to get to the meat of it:

Tips

Hemming – Do not hem your raw denim jeans prior to washing as the denim will naturally shrink in length
Separate - Due to the natural indigo bleeding during washing, always wash your raw denim separate from other clothing pieces
Water Temperature – General rule of thumb: the hotter the water, the more greater the shrinkage
Drying – Always hang dry flat. Do not place on a heat radiator, use a dryer, or crumple when drying, as it will damage the fabric and ruin the fit, fade, contrast, and overall quality
Minor Wash and Care

Spillage – If you ever spill any liquid on your denim, try dry rubbing or dabbing with a paper napkin. Do not use soap or any other cleaning solution since you will risk losing some indigo dye and create an uneven fade. You don’t wanna be that guy with dark raw denim and big light circle, do you?
Smell – Many feel compelled to wash their raw denim before the 6 month mark because of how they start to smell. The best solution here is to apply a very light cleaning spray, such as Fabreeze, and hang dry flat (preferably outdoors) for at least 24 hours.
Major Wash and Care

Draw a bathtub of cool – lukewarm water, about 3-4 inches deep
Mix in a small amount of very light washing powder, preferably Woolite Black, since it is specifically designed to lock in darker colors. Do not use bleaches or regular laundry detergent
Lay your raw denim inside out and flat in the bathtub and submerge them in the water by placing heavy objects on top
Let soak for 45 minutes
Rinse with cool water to remove soap
Remove from water and hang dry, ideally outdoors & in the sun
Optional – Apply starch to stiffen jeans (see our earlier post “To Starch or Not To Starch, And How“)
Note: If your denim is heavily dyed (18 Oz. and up), you may want to help settle loose dye in the material by first running your denim through an initial cycle of cold water, 1/4 cup salt, and 1/2 cup vinegar. (http://www.rawrdenim.com/2011/03/how-to-wash-and-clean-your-raw-denim-tips-instructions-video/)
April 17, 2012 @ 10:59 PM
iamkyopo

What are your thoughts on freezing? Just ran across this.. http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-to-clean-your-jeans-withou-109266

3) maintenance: after 4-6 months of wear, wash inside out or (a lot of reading)

advise wearing your raws for at least 6 months, thereby achieving that second-skin denim feel!

Before delving into the instructions, tips, etc. portion of this post though, it’s important to reiterate that the sooner you wash your denim, the less chance you will have for sharper fades. This is because one of the primary steps in manufacturing raw denim is the color treatment stage, (aka indigo dying) where the denim is dipped in vats of indigo dye (natural or synthetic). As the indigo is not 100% absorbed into the material, after you wash your denim, you are losing that deep blue/black color and as well the rigid feel (due to starch loss). Thus, you want to wear your raw denim for at least 6 months prior to washing, but no longer than 1 year – otherwise the crotch in your denim will rip (or “blow out”)

Now, to get to the meat of it:

Tips

Hemming – Do not hem your raw denim jeans prior to washing as the denim will naturally shrink in length
Separate - Due to the natural indigo bleeding during washing, always wash your raw denim separate from other clothing pieces
Water Temperature – General rule of thumb: the hotter the water, the more greater the shrinkage
Drying – Always hang dry flat. Do not place on a heat radiator, use a dryer, or crumple when drying, as it will damage the fabric and ruin the fit, fade, contrast, and overall quality
Minor Wash and Care

Spillage – If you ever spill any liquid on your denim, try dry rubbing or dabbing with a paper napkin. Do not use soap or any other cleaning solution since you will risk losing some indigo dye and create an uneven fade. You don’t wanna be that guy with dark raw denim and big light circle, do you?
Smell – Many feel compelled to wash their raw denim before the 6 month mark because of how they start to smell. The best solution here is to apply a very light cleaning spray, such as Fabreeze, and hang dry flat (preferably outdoors) for at least 24 hours.
Major Wash and Care

Draw a bathtub of cool – lukewarm water, about 3-4 inches deep
Mix in a small amount of very light washing powder, preferably Woolite Black, since it is specifically designed to lock in darker colors. Do not use bleaches or regular laundry detergent
Lay your raw denim inside out and flat in the bathtub and submerge them in the water by placing heavy objects on top
Let soak for 45 minutes
Rinse with cool water to remove soap
Remove from water and hang dry, ideally outdoors & in the sun
Optional – Apply starch to stiffen jeans (see our earlier post “To Starch or Not To Starch, And How“)
Note: If your denim is heavily dyed (18 Oz. and up), you may want to help settle loose dye in the material by first running your denim through an initial cycle of cold water, 1/4 cup salt, and 1/2 cup vinegar. (http://www.rawrdenim.com/2011/03/how-to-wash-and-clean-your-raw-denim-tips-instructions-video/)
April 18, 2012 @ 12:47 AM
slap

yall treat this as if it's rocket science.

freezing jeans? it might kill or stun some of of the bacteria/organism on there, but it won't do much else. all the dirt, sweat, bacteria will still be on the jeans, naimean?

just febreeze your jeans, take them outside and let the fresh air and sun do it's thing on them.
or just do a cold soak + agitation. you'll lose at most like 1% of the indigo.

$81 selvedge denim: https://www.weargustin.com/invite_from/4200 Karmaloop/Plndr Rep: SLAP20.

Please login first to reply.