Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
December 7, 2011 @ 03:05 AM
whatishypebeast

I own a pair of Levi's 510. I just have a general question about washing jeans.

Is more damage done to jeans (all denim in general) through washing, or not washing? Because doing both over prolonged periods of time will do some sort of damage, obviously. But which one more? Because I've heard different opinions on the matter.

On one hand, washing every couple wears is definitely going to weaken the material; the water will keep running its course (not to mention the washing machine itself) over the denim and will literally thin the denim over time.

On the other hand, wearing jeans for a long time without washing means that sweat, germs, maybe drinks and food, can get into the spacing between the cotton fibers and distress the material, also causing weakening. I've noticed that if I wear a pair of jeans for a long, long time, they feel sort of flimsy.

I don't sweat a lot, and I take care of my clothes, so I'm going to say that not washing significantly improves the life of a pair of jeans. But can anyone give me some hard evidence that it really does? Science, perhaps?

So basically, which one prolongs the life of a pair of jeans more: washing, or not washing?

Thanks.
December 7, 2011 @ 04:06 AM
ToyotaGuy

im gay
December 7, 2011 @ 04:49 AM
TreyHongz

I think you answered your own question.
Science... Do an experiment and gather your results. Applying what you learned in school to real life situations.

IG: @treyhongz

December 7, 2011 @ 06:34 AM
franjoli

nigga it's just levis ffs wear them shits until they break and buy a new pair. if u want some shit worth wearing and higher quality go look at raw denim.

WTB: UNIQLO x UNDERCOVER FISHTAIL UTILITY PARKA IN SIZE S/M ANY COLOUR MESSAGE

December 7, 2011 @ 05:59 PM
Unreachable

Who cares, they're just jeans
December 7, 2011 @ 09:31 PM
lagsinner

nigga it's just levis ffs wear them shits until they break and buy a new pair. if u want some shit worth wearing and higher quality go look at raw denim.

^That
December 9, 2011 @ 02:51 AM
whatishypebeast

Sure. Assuming I had raw denim, how would I go about keeping their lifespan as long as possible? Washing vs Non washing?
December 9, 2011 @ 03:11 AM
Unreachable

^Well you answered your question in the first post. Just need to find a balance between washing and non-washing. Eventually raw denim will need to be replaced due to the prolonged wear.
December 9, 2011 @ 03:13 AM
udradn

they're levis why in the fuck did you buy them at the first place.
just do as you want they'll still be shitty.
not washing your jeans is for when you have a nice pair of raw denim and you want fades, so you don't wash them until the indigo dye fades in creases from alot of wears.
December 9, 2011 @ 04:10 PM
ShoutOutLoud

^ You're kinda dumb. I've seen Levi's that faded beautifully.
Such as:

(Found it on the Levi's thread)
December 9, 2011 @ 07:49 PM
udradn

fades are meh tbh, plus the fit is horrendous.
December 20, 2011 @ 10:44 PM
mistahdabolina

^troll. and the fit is beside the point homeboy...
just sayin.
December 20, 2011 @ 10:54 PM
Jens Voigt

fades are meh tbh, plus the fit is horrendous.

why are you even on this forum?

Please login first to reply.