Labor Day - Enjoy 25% Off Your Order. Use code: LABORDAY25
October 11, 2010 @ 11:15 PM
bigsnorlax

Hey all! First post here so i'l explain myself briefly. I've been looking into getting a pair of raw jeans because the idea of breaking them in, the fades, the bad ass combs, etc sounds really neat to me. plus they look awesome haha. I met a guy up at college here who wheres nudies and stronghold or something but he told me about it and im interested.

Im looking into either a pair of the gap raw selvedge skinnys OR the Urban outfitters unbranded. Based on what was said here and obviously the price. Its not that im cheap honestly, but if its my first pair i see nothing wrong with shooting a lil low on the "name brand scale" as long as i love the fit and i can dig the looks. Also the fact that maybe i dont end up liking it or wearing them that much that kinda thing.

So as a "startup" pair of decent denim which would you choose? At 98 bucks the gaps arent too bad and at 78 the UO's brand is even more appealing lol. But honestly without spending over $100 (which i know is unreal if we're talking about 3/4 of the brands mentioned on here ha) which could give me a good startup venture to see how i like it?

Thanks all!
October 11, 2010 @ 11:33 PM
CanvasO8

big snorlizax in da hooouuusssseeeeee
October 11, 2010 @ 11:40 PM
Carlton C-Note Banks

Unbranded's denim is pretty good imo, haven't tried Gap's selvedge but I'd still recommend UO's
October 12, 2010 @ 12:07 AM
slapper

unbrandeds
October 12, 2010 @ 09:04 AM
bigsnorlax

big snorlizax in da hooouuusssseeeeee

haha hell yeah. I'm not some little kid.... but we all know snorlax was always the coolest back in the day confused

And ok, thanks for the responses guys, appreciate it. I called them and they dont carry them at my store so i guess i'll just order online. Question though, online it asks for your size, like your as in your waist. But not your length... are these gonna be long enough for me?? 6 foot 2 inches waist size 31. Yes i am a twig. Anyone know how long these run?
October 12, 2010 @ 09:36 AM
Carlton C-Note Banks

I think the inseam is 34-36 I'm not sure what it is though
October 12, 2010 @ 11:42 AM
Legit Shit

I think it's 34. I'm 5'11 and have tons of slack/stacks so you should be straight.

upthefunk

October 12, 2010 @ 12:43 PM
TTHX

check their website for measurements. skinnys are the only ones that are 36, rest are 34 i believe.

http://tonyhoangphoto.com

October 12, 2010 @ 12:45 PM
Bombers

Get Unbranded. The denim is of heavier weight and Gap's are paper thin.
October 12, 2010 @ 12:58 PM
Prime Minister

i actually have gap skinny salvage and they fit very nice
October 12, 2010 @ 01:10 PM
jlaz93

Unbranded is the way to go for those 2, but you can find a pair of naked & famous on karmaloop for around 100 with a 30 percent discount code.
October 12, 2010 @ 03:56 PM
Imco0l

if ur not cheap, just go for apcs or naked & famous.

apc NS - generally sz down 2 from ur true waist
apc nc - generally sz down 1 from ur true waist
October 12, 2010 @ 07:47 PM
jozsef_csanyi

Unbranded is rope dyed so the contrast will be a lot easier to fade in. Gap rinsed is sulfur dyed with the intention of holding in color for as long as possible.
To be honest some rinsed Wranglers or Levi's STFs are just as good as Unbranded if you're after quick fades. My dad's cheap Wranglers from Tractor Supply are 14 oz. and pretty sturdy for a budget pair.
October 12, 2010 @ 08:38 PM
dunks94

NAKED AND FAMOUS.

you can find a slightly used pair for around 70
October 12, 2010 @ 08:38 PM
bigsnorlax

Thanks for the input. I had also heard the gaps are "thin" which is kinda of relative when talking denim i suppose. looked at some N&F jeans online and found them surprisingly cheaper then i thought they'd be (~$130). Fairly hypocritical of me spending more seeing as i just want to see if i like them but who cares, fat ass paycheck coming in this friday :D.

Looking at them compared to the unbranded they actually do look very similar... from the noobs perspective i guess. Since everyone's been saying they are the same. But anywhooo im debating about the deep indigo elephant selvedge denim. it says its 19 oz... which seems damn thick, but what do i know. With a heavier denim like that can i expect them to be more rigid? and = better contrasted fades, sharper fades etc?

Thanks all, very helpful/kind people on this forum!

please let me know if i should redirect this to the "official N&F forum"
October 12, 2010 @ 08:44 PM
dunks94

19 oz is rigid. great weight for winter though.

pink selvedge and overall color is dope.

if I had the money I would've copped in a heartbeet
October 12, 2010 @ 08:47 PM
bigsnorlax

Yeah 19 seemed pretty heavy.... at least heavier then my cheap ass pac sun jeans which are the most annoying jeans iv ever had. I must say... i lovee the color. If my waist is a 31, should i size down or TTS? From personal experience does anyone know if these a good buy/ if they stretch much?
October 12, 2010 @ 08:47 PM
jlaz93

go to karmaloop for n&f they have a few pairs that are low 100's and if you poke around online you can find a discount code for 30% off. This would make them sub 100.
October 12, 2010 @ 08:52 PM
dunks94

skinnys: tts or you'll die
wg's: no idea
October 12, 2010 @ 08:59 PM
bigsnorlax

thanks guys! ill prob snoop around for any possible codes and order soon! can anyone vouch from personal experience that i'll love these N&F's 19oz skinnys, and how much do u love them? assuming they fit me awesome ha.
October 13, 2010 @ 03:29 AM
julian_08

look the quality not the quantity your buying.
October 13, 2010 @ 09:20 AM
bigsnorlax

look the quality not the quantity your buying.

yeah... im only buying one pair to see if i like em.... :D. Can anyone tell me whether the skinny guy elephant denim will be better in comparison to their regular skinny guys? Its a 19oz as compared to their 15oz . Im not trying to just jump onto the hype assumption that heavier denim is better just curious if the 19oz will fade slower... or whatnot
October 13, 2010 @ 10:36 AM
jozsef_csanyi

It's better for cold weather but that's about it. If you work in your jeans you better make friends with a good tailor because those seams are going to split hard. My 21 Iron Hearts kept tearing around the knee so I had to sell em.
And yes they will fade a lot slower in comparison to a 14 - 16 oz denim.
On the bright side it means you could have jeans that last a long time if you don't beat them up too bad.
October 14, 2010 @ 01:23 PM
bigsnorlax

huh interesting. Down broke twill deep indigos now ha. But thanks for all the info and replies all!
October 14, 2010 @ 01:27 PM
frrple

if ur not cheap, just go for apcs or naked & famous.

apc NS - generally sz down 2 from ur true waist
apc nc - generally sz down 1 from ur true waist

agreed. for ~$50 more you can get a solid pair of starting raws with APCs. they fade hella fast too if you wear them a lot.
October 14, 2010 @ 02:48 PM
bigsnorlax

agreed. for ~$50 more you can get a solid pair of starting raws with APCs. they fade hella fast too if you wear them a lot.

Yeah and i can get a chance to try them on so thats a HUGE plus for me. But (excuse how shallow i am) all of the kids i know who are into denim know nothing about it, they just buy APC's and rep them hard as shit. I agree, definitely a quality product no doubt! plus i love the kinda basic look and the silver rivets and hardware etc. But i'd rather look into going a different route then all the kids by me. Maybe im dumb... ha but i can always tell them about them and maybe open their minds.

Lots of great people on this forum :D
October 14, 2010 @ 09:34 PM
frrple

Yeah and i can get a chance to try them on so thats a HUGE plus for me. But (excuse how shallow i am) all of the kids i know who are into denim know nothing about it, they just buy APC's and rep them hard as shit. I agree, definitely a quality product no doubt! plus i love the kinda basic look and the silver rivets and hardware etc. But i'd rather look into going a different route then all the kids by me. Maybe im dumb... ha but i can always tell them about them and maybe open their minds.

Lots of great people on this forum :D

go to your local APC store and try em on. i go to the one in Soho, NY and they let me try on whatever i want. pretty sweet. try sending your measurements in and get some suggestions from them.

lol kids prolly just buy APCs cuz it's not nearly as expensive as any of the better brands. just buy whichever one you like more. you shouldn't have to try too hard to be different from those kids imho. rock what you like. APCs are a great place to start.
October 19, 2010 @ 12:17 PM
traniel

theres unbranded jeans on urban outfitters for a good price
November 29, 2010 @ 05:30 PM
iskCA

i bought the gap selvedge jeans with the 40% off they had. total was 58$.
November 29, 2010 @ 06:00 PM
Flamingotripod

The elephants are really rigid and thick but would fade very nicely. The deep indigos are pretty much the staple of the NF. At 15oz, every evo pic ive seen of these have been nice.

Please login first to reply.