Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
July 10, 2007 @ 03:41 PM
corkscrewed

so i decided to experiment on a pair of old Dunk 20's that i had laying around. this is my first time using the Angelus High Gloss finish.

-how many coats do i put on before it get that plastic-y look?
i'm using black Angelus which is naturally glossy, and so far i've added 3 coats of finish, and it just makes the paint look extremely glossy, but not patent leathery! anybody got any tips that would be helpful?....Chrisco i'm lookin at you smile

behold:

July 10, 2007 @ 03:44 PM
r0k

let them dry hard core and spray them out with lacquer...or just a high gloss sealer....paint is never going to get super super glossy because its just going to cover the layers but with the lacquer it can build up and look like glass....

someone else might be able to help with specific brands that might work well....but whatever you do test it out first before you smash a pair of shoes...
July 10, 2007 @ 03:58 PM
Theseventhletter

lacquer may be too brittle for what you want to do alot of customizers fail attempting the patent leather effect using just paint
July 10, 2007 @ 04:01 PM
r0k

lacquer may be too brittle for what you want to do alot of customizers fail attempting the patent leather effect using just paint

yeah very true....gotta find something flexible..

krylon gloss clear coat might work alright.....just do it in real thin layers.
July 10, 2007 @ 06:05 PM
Theseventhletter

krylons high gloss clear cracks ive used it when i airbrushed some customs for my 10th grade talent show

only fool proof way is to buy bulk patent leather cut and sew it and all of those steps are hard
July 10, 2007 @ 06:11 PM
corkscrewed

yeah very true....gotta find something flexible..

krylon gloss clear coat might work alright.....just do it in real thin layers.

i was doing some research on google and reading some of the stickies in this forum and other forums. i thought i could lay down whatever color paint, then use the Acrylic High Gloss finish to get that glassy look. the Angelus is basically the same as the Krylon, just not in spray form. i laid down 3 thin layers, but....you see the results. do you think thicker layers would do the trick? that way they kind of "build" on each other.
if you look at the Iowa AF1's that Chrisco did, i'm trying to achieve that same effect.
July 10, 2007 @ 06:27 PM
Theseventhletter

no thick layers BEWARE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SPPPPPPPPPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKY! lol nah but thick layers give you uneven results and its not smooth
July 10, 2007 @ 07:07 PM
r0k

i was doing some research on google and reading some of the stickies in this forum and other forums. i thought i could lay down whatever color paint, then use the Acrylic High Gloss finish to get that glassy look. the Angelus is basically the same as the Krylon, just not in spray form. i laid down 3 thin layers, but....you see the results. do you think thicker layers would do the trick? that way they kind of "build" on each other.
if you look at the Iowa AF1's that Chrisco did, i'm trying to achieve that same effect.

nah man regardless the angelus stuff isnt the same as krylon for the simple fact its applied with a brush no matter what you do you are still going to have brush strokes and texture.....

gotta do something sprayed or its never going to come out even looking.
July 10, 2007 @ 09:54 PM
SAV

There is a way. Don't ask me how, I mean could figure it out but I'm doing much re-search and test on how to do other things.

Obviously there is a way to do it, like you guys said Chrisco Iowa AF1. I beleive he use the af1 that were white/black the ones with the writing on the back of the shoe where the heel tab is that normally say nike air with the swoosh.

The letters on the shoe were elevated so you could feel them, if you look at his pics you can tell he did way more then layer of paint and some gloss. There was some kind of clear coating that went on after the paint job.

Or maybe some kind of base coat of some kind then paint then clear coat.

Also you can tell on the other patent leather parts that it was painted because there were areas were the paint didn't seep into the stiching holes

Like I said it could be figured out. You just have to do some research and plenty of tests. Which I'm sure chrisco did, and I'm sure it took hard work and a lot of time to get the effect so I'm sure he is not going to give up his technique willingly. As far as I know he is the only one doing this patent leather without having to cut and sew some patent on. So he has an advantage right now and people are going to have to go through him to get it done.
July 10, 2007 @ 10:13 PM
customish

the best thing to do is get krylon clear coat semiglos and give it 2 heavy coats but dont let the glos drip cuz if u do then there is no way to get it fixed and.. i kno from expreince it will werk and they will not crack on u either it will jus lay on top of ur paint and bend with the leather .. remeber nomore then 2 good coats ,,,.. have a nice day
July 11, 2007 @ 02:54 PM
corkscrewed

thanks for the help guys. i think i figured it out! if you use the High Gloss finish, the key is to NOT rub the finish in!!! i was treating it like paint, and spreading it out evenly. the trick is the put it on kinda thick and drippy and then let it dry. and then apply another coat! another problem that i realized is that since the surface i painted was nubuck instead of leather, i'm not going to be able to get that smooth glass look, it's gonna be textured. i was able to come pretty damn close though! i decided to go with the blue instead of pink (that's why there're 2 diff. colored heels, cuz i couldn't decide), and i'm putting some patent leather tongue from some old AF1's i had. i probably won't wear these, but i just wanted to practice some new tecniques on some beaters!
July 11, 2007 @ 03:35 PM
r0k

thanks for the help guys. i think i figured it out! if you use the High Gloss finish, the key is to NOT rub the finish in!!! i was treating it like paint, and spreading it out evenly. the trick is the put it on kinda thick and drippy and then let it dry. and then apply another coat! another problem that i realized is that since the surface i painted was nubuck instead of leather, i'm not going to be able to get that smooth glass look, it's gonna be textured. i was able to come pretty damn close though! i decided to go with the blue instead of pink (that's why there're 2 diff. colored heels, cuz i couldn't decide), and i'm putting some patent leather tongue from some old AF1's i had. i probably won't wear these, but i just wanted to practice some new tecniques on some beaters!

post some flicks when you finish them...be interesting to see....

i'll have a go this weekend see what i can come up with as well....

Please login first to reply.