300+ New Sale Items (Up to 80% Off Selected Brands)
December 19, 2007 @ 11:33 PM
el_david

can anyone please tell me how to change the material on my shoes
December 19, 2007 @ 11:48 PM
Artisan Muse

First Off READ!!!!
Before some one has to waste any time typing i will take it upon myself to say, READ, if you can type you can read, When you have a question use those spheres in your head to analyze the 12 pages of data that are in front of you. I had the same question about a year ago when i wasnt on the forum to even ask and guess what!!! I found it. Thats why its there. But to answer your question there are two ways of which you can do what you want to do.
you can;
A.) masking tape over the area you want to change, cut it out with an exacto knife then use that as a stencil on your other fabric and use GOOP to stick it on. If it is a spot where there is stitching then you can take a sewing machine to the edges and then goop it on.
then there is step b
B.) you can completely or potentially (depending on your sewing skills patience machinery and technique) ruin a pair of sneakers by deconstructing the sneaker, taking the parts you want to change, add fabric to them and then sew it all back together. This is so hard to do, I have managed to do it with a simple pair of sneakers and they never were the same. So i would go with A.
ps. After you do A, put a clear coat over it or leave blank for your desired look. I am going to document a complete deconstruction and rebuild of Air Force Ones in January, I am just not prepared to do it yet(money money money...I hate christmas presents but i used all my other money for Jordan iv lightnings)

READ.READ.READ.READ.READ.READ.
December 20, 2007 @ 01:11 AM
Theseventhletter

thank you artisan i couldnt have said it better myself

please guys just read the posts its highly unlikely that yours is the first question of its type in this thread i do my best to answer any questions that arise but answering the same 4 questions over and over again is tiring
December 20, 2007 @ 03:39 AM
kwiz

thank you artisan i couldnt have said it better myself

please guys just read the posts its highly unlikely that yours is the first question of its type in this thread i do my best to answer any questions that arise but answering the same 4 questions over and over again is tiring

Seriously... these ?'s always seem to be the simple ones to find...."How do I change the color" or something similar. Some people are lazy, but some people are just really excited about getting started and customizing their own pair. So before looking for themselves, they post a question. In some of their defense, they will post the question, then while waiting for responses end up searching threads and find the answer themselves...Not always, but I'm sure it's a fair share.

Here is my solution, don't answer the same questions over and over. Sneaker nerd has already brilliantly made stickies and it's only a matter of time before they find them. Now if someone asks a question and you feel it is deserving of an answer, or you just feel like answering then so be it.

just a thought
December 20, 2007 @ 09:06 AM
Artisan Muse

Some people are lazy, but some people are just really excited about getting started and customizing their own pair.
t

He is right about the excited part, but take a deep breath and read first all the pages and some of the others or that excitement may turn into a sloppy pair of kicks.
December 20, 2007 @ 02:03 PM
IllicitProduct

allright, well i think that ive decided to try and customize my air max 90's, but i need some help on how to start. I know how to remove most of the stiching and what not to get off the material, but some parts like the tung and inside lining i have no idea what to do. If some one could help me get started it would be great. If you dont want to post here your welcome to PM me your knowledge. Sorry if you think this question is way too vague but you have to start a some point.
December 20, 2007 @ 06:24 PM
Theseventhletter

still pretty vague some sort of fabric dye might work im not sure what the hell youre trying to get done thoughconfused
December 20, 2007 @ 07:57 PM
IllicitProduct

im trying to learn the basics on how to customize my air max 90's bassicly.
December 23, 2007 @ 01:10 PM
wannabe123

k, i read the whole thread.
My question is tho, is everything the same when it comes down to VANS/Converse? Acetone / angelus (leather shoe paint(confused )
December 23, 2007 @ 05:56 PM
Theseventhletter

no

textile medium and acrylic paint or fabric paint

most questions here are aimed towards leather
December 24, 2007 @ 12:02 AM
wannabe123

no

textile medium and acrylic paint or fabric paint

most questions here are aimed towards leather

thank you, and to "cover it" ( ? ) what would you use? thanks in advance.
December 24, 2007 @ 12:34 AM
Theseventhletter

huh?
December 24, 2007 @ 12:41 AM
Deuce Tray

cover it as in like mask it off with painters tape?
December 24, 2007 @ 08:49 AM
wannabe123

hmmm, kk. when you do your AFI's, don't you put on "matter" or something on the finished product so everything stays?
does the same thing go for VANS/Converse etc??
December 24, 2007 @ 10:01 AM
Deuce Tray

matter, i assume you mean "matte finish" or some other finish, the answer is no you don't have to if you don't want to, if you use angelus paint you don't really need to put a finish on it, the paint is already waterproof. A matte finish will just help to reduce the gloss a bit and give it a little more protection but i doubt a it will be very substantial. You could just use your regular water proctector spray you get from the shoe store too. All in all I wouldn't worry about a matte finish.
December 24, 2007 @ 02:09 PM
wannabe123

thank you
December 25, 2007 @ 11:49 AM
MrStarscream

Im trying to use the angelus gold and silver paint and when lay done the base coats then let them dry when i use the gold or silver it clumps and doesnt lay flat its starting to piss me off should i thin the paint or mix them with what i use for the base coats before adding them to the shoe
December 25, 2007 @ 10:44 PM
Theseventhletter

i had a similar problem what you have to do is add a little neutral to the paint itll loosen it up and make it manageable
December 26, 2007 @ 02:00 AM
Deuce Tray

could you use acetone to thin it down a bit ?
December 27, 2007 @ 09:36 PM
lucabrazi

How do you attach pics?
Im wondering how to attach pics to leather. I was thinking using those iron on patches, cut to fit in the panels, but I dont know if their is anything more permanent. I'm using those cheap reebok classics, so what should I use to colour the felt layer between the leather and the sole, but permanently?
January 3, 2008 @ 05:14 PM
pson

Sneaker Startup Company HELP!!
i want to begin manufacturing my own brand. i need help. i am spent on resources, and anyone who can point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated and remembered! where do i design, manufacture, etc. thank you!!!
January 4, 2008 @ 05:58 PM
Theseventhletter

could you use acetone to thin it down a bit ?

you can i think but using neutral will be alot safer granted that it doesnt break down the paint like acetone would it just adds more moisture to it
January 4, 2008 @ 09:20 PM
Deuce Tray

i tried the acetone, it works doesnt seem to be the best thing for the job. I might just try some water with the paint, not sure if it make the paint to runny and not stick where i want it to. I would try the neutral but i only have a little bit of it.
January 5, 2008 @ 03:52 PM
kwiz

you can i think but using neutral will be alot safer granted that it doesnt break down the paint like acetone would it just adds more moisture to it

What type of neutral do you use? Also, I saw a glow in the dark medium at the art supply store. Anyone use this before, if so how did it turn out? I am going to give it a shot later, but wanted to know if anyone has messed with it.
January 7, 2008 @ 02:38 PM
Theseventhletter

angelus works fine always cop a big bottle has no color but probably the most useful item besides a brush and duller

GID is tricky really ive thought about mixing in the GID powder with my paint but its dangerous to your health i would use something premixed if you can
January 7, 2008 @ 03:18 PM
kwiz

angelus works fine always cop a big bottle has no color but probably the most useful item besides a brush and duller

GID is tricky really ive thought about mixing in the GID powder with my paint but its dangerous to your health i would use something premixed if you can

It is pre-mixed. I've heard that the powder works best, but that it can be harmful. I'll have to give the pre-mix a shot 1st
January 7, 2008 @ 03:27 PM
Theseventhletter

powder is best but i dont want to take 15 years off my life and lose half my sperm count for some sneakers
January 7, 2008 @ 04:42 PM
MrStarscream

powder is best but i dont want to take 15 years off my life and lose half my sperm count for some sneakers

lol wow i didnt know the pigment can do that ok what base coat is used to lay down the gold
January 7, 2008 @ 05:12 PM
Deuce Tray

if your doing a metallic gold colour then a base layer should be something that is similar to the gold, same with silver but down a light grey, you can also experiment over different base layers to see what kind of effect it might have on the metallic gold or silver colour.
January 7, 2008 @ 06:09 PM
Theseventhletter

lol wow i didnt know the pigment can do that ok what base coat is used to lay down the gold

if your doing a metallic gold colour then a base layer should be something that is similar to the gold, same with silver but down a light grey, you can also experiment over different base layers to see what kind of effect it might have on the metallic gold or silver colour.

hes right ive mixed my own grey to put down under silver paint and a similar yellow for gold paint angelus gold paint is one of my favorite all around pants just because its opacity compared to other similar products you can even use it without the base coat if you want

Please login first to reply.