Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
November 19, 2007 @ 05:03 PM
tevil

This will be my first time customizing shoes.

I want to make it look like this: www10.finishline.com/images/products/xl673691wrp.jpg

Here are my questions:
1. Do I still need to use the Preparer-Deglazer on the strips even if they're already white?
2. I think this has been asked, but did not recalled reading an answer, but should I use Angleus Leather Paint or Angelus Leather Dye? What's the difference?
3. If I use paint, should I use Pink, Hot Pink, and Red? How does Scarlet Red look like compared to Red? Should I get Neutral just incase the colors aren't as exact? If I should use Dye, what colors should I get?
4. How do I paint the Adidas logo?
5. I think this has been asked too, but do I need to add a finish after I paint it? If so, what do I use?

Thanks.
November 20, 2007 @ 01:55 PM
Deuce Tray

1)Yes, the white part is still protected and painted on, so you have to take that off.
2)Use Angelus Leather Paint. Difference is one's a Paint and the other's a Dye.
3)Scarlet Red looks more like blood red, I'd buy that over Red, you could always tone down the Scarlet red with white.
4) Paint the adidas logo with paint... and do whatever you want to it.
5) you don't really need a finish for after but go for it if you want to won't make a huge critical difference really, just spray the shoe after with sneaker protector.
November 20, 2007 @ 04:54 PM
tevil

Sorry, but one more question for the Adidas. Both logos on their white Superstar II are black. Is there a way to remove the black or do I just paint over it?
November 20, 2007 @ 05:48 PM
Theseventhletter

anyone have suggestions on color ratios to create hot pink?

it can be purchased @ www.turtlefeathers.com
November 21, 2007 @ 01:24 PM
Deuce Tray

tevil, if the logo is rubber and black then no you can't remove it, you can paint over it though, but since it is rubber it will most likely crack and peel. If it is embroidered in then you can try using fabic fabric to change it's colour. That goes for both logos. Just try something that you think might work if this doesn't help and see what happens.
November 26, 2007 @ 11:36 AM
TZA

how do I make the agelous paint glow in the dark?? I saw a few pairs with glow in the dark pain incorporated and I was wanting to do something along the same line.

thanks

one luv.
November 26, 2007 @ 06:02 PM
Shanklin

Hope this hasnt been asked before, but how do you get rid of visible paint strokes and steakage? Better yet, how can you prevent this.

http://kevinshanklin.com/ IF YOU HAVE A FFFOUND.COM INVITE MSG ME

November 27, 2007 @ 06:17 PM
MEiSHiT

For whoever wanted photoshop templates, they're here:
pigmag.com/it/2004/07/09/official-sneaker-templates/

and for stencils, I've never really tried it on kicks, but i can only assume you do it something like you would when you do street art:

1) take a thick posterboard
2) cut it to size 8 1/2 x 11 (computer paper size)
3) for an image on your computer, go to word, and take whatever picture you want and convert it directly to black and white
4) print the black and white image on the posterboard
5) cut out the black
6) tape it to your shoes (using a very gentle adhesive tape so it wont flake your base color)
7) using a regular acrylic brush and your optimal-kick-painting paint, dab the paint (not a lot of it at a time, you could do more coats) up and down (not side to side, or you will get streaking and the paint will go under the stencil, therefore no use to the stencil)
cool let dry before taking the stencil off so there are no smudges
9) fin.

ive never tried it, but you could try printing the image onto contact paper if you don't already have a base coat of paint down on the shoes. it'll probably hold better, and keep a cleaner stencil

if you have some beaters, test it out first

THANK YOU SO MUCH...so customized shoes are done by hand..............i always thought there was a website to customize shoes.
November 29, 2007 @ 08:19 PM
kwiz

Airbrushing
I have read a lot of posts that say you need to mix a medium with the angelus leather dye when airbrushing. Is this just because it is too thick, or does it help with the appearance?

I am planning on purchasing an airbrush kit, and was wondering I get a gravity feed airbrush would this technique still apply? Or should I stick with a siphon feed?

Thanks for taking the time to read my thread.

One love
December 1, 2007 @ 10:20 PM
Fresh.n.Def

Where do u get like Plain White, or normal Dunks for cheaP?
December 2, 2007 @ 06:51 PM
CrimePays

Okay I did not see this anywhere on the forum, Does anyone have a technique on painting the inside edges of shoes such as in this picture wehre the orange part is still outline in blue?
December 5, 2007 @ 12:26 AM
Deuce Tray

just paint it, it takes lots of time and skill you gotta be real careful or you can tape it off ya understand
December 5, 2007 @ 11:26 PM
Sinful

ok i have two questions that havent been asked. i hope some answers them even though i think theyre simple but i want to learn as much possible before i make my first pair.

1. what kind of paint brushes do i have to use to paint a pair of shoes? should i use just normal hair brushes. or should i use those sponge brushes? is any 1 better or are they the same thing?

and

2. when i pull a a shoes apart and make the template on the fabric im using..
when i go to reasemble the shoe. do i just use the fabric and sew that? or do i have to like glue and stich the fabric to the exsisting leather of the shoe and then sew it?

i want to start making my shoes asap so please someone answer asap
December 6, 2007 @ 03:35 PM
Shanklin

What about suede? How do i go about dye'ing suede?

December 6, 2007 @ 05:46 PM
Sinful

its been said... suede dye
December 6, 2007 @ 05:47 PM
Sinful

oh and my other question is. what is a good air brush to buy to use on the shoes? can anyone tell me a web site where i can buy it from?
December 6, 2007 @ 06:22 PM
kwiz

oh and my other question is. what is a good air brush to buy to use on the shoes? can anyone tell me a web site where i can buy it from?

I have done research on this, and I found that the best(according to a few dudes I know who have been airbrushing for 20+yrs) that the Paasche VL airbrush is best(cost and durability) I also researched prices for them, and the best prices so far are at www.dixieart.com If you have the money to shell out, I have been told that Grex makes some sick ones for this type of application. I haven't looked into it though. My sources say Paasche...so there ya go. Let me know if you find anything else that you think is better, I'd like to check it out.

One love
December 6, 2007 @ 06:26 PM
kwiz

Oh yeah... Sinful. Another good reason to get the Paasche is that along with Iwata brands they are what most art supply stores carry in stock. That way if you need replacement needles or parts you can get it right away instead of ordering them online everytime and paying for shipping plus the waiting.
December 9, 2007 @ 01:40 AM
Shanklin

its been said... suede dye

I know, but how do i dye the shoe since normally to dye stuff you have to soak it it water with the dye? Do i take the shoe apart (no way im gonna do this) and dye it?

December 10, 2007 @ 03:25 PM
Theseventhletter

Where do u get like Plain White, or normal Dunks for cheaP?

journeys plain white dunk lows 70 bucks cheapest you can get

Okay I did not see this anywhere on the forum, Does anyone have a technique on painting the inside edges of shoes such as in this picture wehre the orange part is still outline in blue?

small brush masking tape
ok i have two questions that havent been asked. i hope some answers them even though i think theyre simple but i want to learn as much possible before i make my first pair.

1. what kind of paint brushes do i have to use to paint a pair of shoes? should i use just normal hair brushes. or should i use those sponge brushes? is any 1 better or are they the same thing?

and

2. when i pull a a shoes apart and make the template on the fabric im using..
when i go to reasemble the shoe. do i just use the fabric and sew that? or do i have to like glue and stich the fabric to the exsisting leather of the shoe and then sew it?

i want to start making my shoes asap so please someone answer asap

1-small hair brushes smaller the brush the more control
2-youll find yourself having an easier time using masking tape or contact film templates no sewing same accuracy and less time consuming withotu un stitching and glue back on with loctite gel glue
What about suede? How do i go about dye'ing suede?

shank never submerse suede itll warp thin coats with a fuzz ball applicator be very careful
December 11, 2007 @ 05:35 PM
FreshWizdom

Check out these customs I did with my freshwizdom owl logo!
December 11, 2007 @ 05:41 PM
Theseventhletter

wrong thread pic doesnt work and im assuming its a shameless plug in of a mediocre custom done on an AF1 low or mid
December 11, 2007 @ 05:58 PM
FreshWizdom

Check out these customs I did with my freshwizdom owl logo!
wrong thread
December 16, 2007 @ 01:21 PM
Artisan Muse

the edges of those shoes were already blue, the pic is from a different thread. he was actually asking the exact opposite question from you.

Sneaker Nerd one question, just started a pair of AFI's last night and im putting fabric on the toe box, how do I get the vent hole to show, Punch thru after I set the fabric or what Im not sure????

Thanks
December 16, 2007 @ 11:15 PM
Theseventhletter

most often the toe vent is just covered since the holes are so small and the fabric once punched through will expand depending on the fabric's elasticity i personally have never made an effort not to cover up the vent holes
December 17, 2007 @ 01:29 AM
frogger

What shoes do most of you guys use? Old shoes or brand new ones? If brand new where do you find them for cheap? What kind of paint would you use to make it look natural-not too shiny or dull? I can't really describe it but basically something that doesn't look odd when you paint the shoe with it.

Would it be wrong to find a fake nike sb dunk for around $20-30 maybe $40 just to practice on/customize?
December 18, 2007 @ 05:45 PM
Theseventhletter

What shoes do most of you guys use? Old shoes or brand new ones? If brand new where do you find them for cheap? What kind of paint would you use to make it look natural-not too shiny or dull? I can't really describe it but basically something that doesn't look odd when you paint the shoe with it.

Would it be wrong to find a fake nike sb dunk for around $20-30 maybe $40 just to practice on/customize?

IMO yes it would be wrong

all your other questions have already been answered read the thread before posting
December 19, 2007 @ 01:05 AM
frogger

IMO yes it would be wrong

all your other questions have already been answered read the thread before posting

what sneakers would you recommend? I don't have any beaters around to practice on.
December 19, 2007 @ 01:30 AM
Theseventhletter

any plain shoe dont try to conform to only dunks and airforce ones experiment with different things and base shoes that way you can develop your own distinctive style
December 19, 2007 @ 08:12 PM
kwiz

I agree, you shouldn't knowingly buy fakes to practice on. You would be supporting and encouraging them to keep making fakes. Now if you knew someone who had bought fakes unknowingly or something then you could go that route. You would be better off going to a thrift store and getting beaters for under $20 and using those to practice. IMO... Goodwill or Salvation army may have some also.

Please login first to reply.