FLASH SALE - 25% OFF - USE CODE: FLASH25 (25 HOURS ONLY)
May 22, 2007 @ 08:29 PM
Definition

Do you think it would look good with the black denim highs?

don't think so imo, on high's it just looks out of place and...off, on low's its great tho.
May 28, 2007 @ 09:33 AM
gbusy17

whats the best shoe to customize?just plain white af1's, or maybe an sb dunk i could use
May 28, 2007 @ 05:48 PM
minteefresh

wen u customize do u take off da original paint?
if u do how?
i really wanna kno cuz i am tryin 2 customize my first pair
May 29, 2007 @ 02:28 AM
Theseventhletter

whats the best shoe to customize?just plain white af1's, or maybe an sb dunk i could use

any shoe you want to dont conform and think that th eonly shoe that can be customized is a dunk or an air force one

also to remove paint use acetone
May 29, 2007 @ 09:44 AM
imsohappy

okay here is a list sneakernerd please try and answer em all! Thanks

1. Do i just use a need and thread to re-stich the label back onto the tongue?
2. Is there any other way i can get a print onto the shoe without printing onto fabric and sticking it on?
3. Do i sew or glue fabric onto kicks?
4. How do i get that 2 tone effect?

Thanks everyone!
May 29, 2007 @ 01:37 PM
Estopa

okay... what do i use to stuff the tongues of my dunks?
May 29, 2007 @ 04:29 PM
Theseventhletter

okay here is a list sneakernerd please try and answer em all! Thanks

1. Do i just use a need and thread to re-stich the label back onto the tongue?
2. Is there any other way i can get a print onto the shoe without printing onto fabric and sticking it on?
3. Do i sew or glue fabric onto kicks?
4. How do i get that 2 tone effect?

Thanks everyone!

a thread a needle and the ability to sew decently
to my knowledge stenciling and fabric gluing are the only ways besides hand painting
if you have a good strong flexible fabric glue you can simply glue it but if you really want to put extra effort into it do both
what 2-tone effect?
okay... what do i use to stuff the tongues of my dunks?

go to joanns fabrics and pick up a cotton or polyester stuffing material a bag is about 3 or 4 bucks and a bag is way more than enough thats what i used but you can also use cottom balls
May 30, 2007 @ 08:32 AM
imsohappy

you know when a darker green goes into a lighter green doing it with a brush is hard!!!!!!!!!!!
May 30, 2007 @ 08:34 AM
imsohappy

PS, SNEAKERNErd, im assuming you like UNKLE, you heard the do androids dream of electronic beats? had to get it off the net cost me like $60 but worth every penny.
May 30, 2007 @ 05:00 PM
Theseventhletter

havent heard it and the gradient effect you speak of is best acheived with an airbrushsmile
May 31, 2007 @ 01:35 PM
imsohappy

cool, thanks.
June 15, 2007 @ 08:17 AM
Satvinder

How do i go about customising trainers. Mostly AF1s. What equipment do i need and how do i make my own templates.
June 18, 2007 @ 06:15 AM
flip.you.out

really starting off new. and reading through this, i'm basically getting the jift of things. I have an idea for a shoe and yet not enough information. Hmm, i wanted to put basic character shapes on a plain white shoe. Any suggestions? (Cut fabric as the shapes paste/sew it on, just paint it on, etc.)
June 18, 2007 @ 05:25 PM
Theseventhletter

the least you need to customize is good paint (angelus) some paint duller ( angelus) and some paint brushes the smaller the better

not for painting characters thats the same as painting characters on anything else just paint them on as you would a canvas or wall or paper
June 19, 2007 @ 05:31 AM
flip.you.out

but what if i'm super anal about it an want to put on a stencil.
what material do i use as the stencil?
June 19, 2007 @ 08:54 AM
goatfacekillah

i'm planning on taking some old shoes and painting them
should i use angelus acrylic paint for the entire shoe, or should i use a different type for the sole (the non leather part)?

found this as well

www.geocities.com/ethernyc/main
June 19, 2007 @ 07:12 PM
counterfeit

IMO, black AFI are the best to customize. I am almost finished with mine. I painted red into some areas and am going to leave the nike check and tongue black. The other areas are going to be a silver. I will post pics tomorrow.

For those that need to know what paint to use, you will almost always use acrylic paint. I don't have any specific brand, but make sure that the paint is somewhat thick. Down here in NC, we have a "dimensional" paint that will make the paint stick out more than you average paint.
June 19, 2007 @ 08:39 PM
counterfeit

I have a question to ask those who have done many custom kicks:

What do you use to apply the paint so smoothly and error free?
What do you use to make designs?
June 20, 2007 @ 07:18 PM
SmoothTip

I have a question to ask those who have done many custom kicks:

What do you use to apply the paint so smoothly and error free?
What do you use to make designs?

I use an airbrush for painting base coats on shoes, leave a factory finish as long as you mix a little duller and airbrush medium to the paint.

I use skillz, talent, and fine paintbrushes to apply details..... like logos, characters, or any other type of graphic or pattern.
June 20, 2007 @ 11:25 PM
fatboi50

PAINT PENS
I'm looking at these sharpie paint pens and they say that they will stick to any surface and are water resistant but I'm concerned because they are oil based. Has anyone tried them or has anyone used or found a painting pen that works well on leather?

Another thing I was considering for my finest details were this thing called a empty marker pen. This would be a dream if the angelus paint isn't too thick. Yet again I wanted to know if anyone has tried this or has whitnessed a successful attempt.

Someone please reply soon because I'm going to have to get some of those pens to try out if I don'y here anything back. THEY'RE CALLING ME!!!
June 21, 2007 @ 12:32 AM
fatboi50

I found some paint pens that claim to work well on leather. So I'm going to give them a try and see what happens. The ones that I found were called DECOcolor paint pens. They come in fine, broad, and extra fine tips for those who want to check em out. Just google them. PEACE and good luck.
June 21, 2007 @ 12:56 AM

Inactive

-Painting the sole will crack over time
-Dont use paint pens. Theyre just normal acrylic paint usually. You can add fabric medium to any really thin and watery acrylic paint if you cant get angelus.
-stencils you should draw on masking tape, then carve it out, then stick it on your shoe.

Just read the stickies on ISS for customs.
June 21, 2007 @ 08:44 PM
fivesongalibi

For whoever wanted photoshop templates, they're here:
pigmag.com/it/2004/07/09/official-sneaker-templates/

and for stencils, I've never really tried it on kicks, but i can only assume you do it something like you would when you do street art:

1) take a thick posterboard
2) cut it to size 8 1/2 x 11 (computer paper size)
3) for an image on your computer, go to word, and take whatever picture you want and convert it directly to black and white
4) print the black and white image on the posterboard
5) cut out the black
6) tape it to your shoes (using a very gentle adhesive tape so it wont flake your base color)
7) using a regular acrylic brush and your optimal-kick-painting paint, dab the paint (not a lot of it at a time, you could do more coats) up and down (not side to side, or you will get streaking and the paint will go under the stencil, therefore no use to the stencil)
cool let dry before taking the stencil off so there are no smudges
9) fin.

ive never tried it, but you could try printing the image onto contact paper if you don't already have a base coat of paint down on the shoes. it'll probably hold better, and keep a cleaner stencil

if you have some beaters, test it out first
June 23, 2007 @ 03:49 PM
wilkozade2005

what type of paint is best for customising???
i have some leather dunks and need to know what type of paint would be best to use.
Well, i'm kinda new to customising and any other tips and such like would be really appreciated

thanks

please PM me
June 23, 2007 @ 05:48 PM
Theseventhletter

read through the thread before posting a question
June 29, 2007 @ 07:36 AM
ceedot

Pictures
Hey, just wondering how you get the pictures on them. Do you print them, or do you use airbrush?
Reply would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :D
July 4, 2007 @ 01:11 AM
mr. newbie

ok i tried taking apart my puma brasils (started with the stripe) but it goes all the way into the sole. what do i do now?

stock pics of shoe www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7220923/c/57550.html
July 8, 2007 @ 07:26 PM
yingbott

i designed a pair of shoes i was wondering if i could print a computer image onto canvas of something and how i would do that so i could stich it onto the shoe any ideas i wann the city design on a pair of shoes
July 9, 2007 @ 09:03 PM
mesquito15

hey, i want to try and customize a pair of hi dunks for the first time. wut kind of paint do i use?
July 10, 2007 @ 05:22 AM
yingbott

i need help deciding what brand of paint to use, where i can get photoshop or another look-a-like program for free and what are some good begginers supplies for customizing also heres 2 shoes i designed honest feedback is appreciated

Reeses Dunks

Mario Dunks

Please login first to reply.