300+ New Sale Items (Up to 80% Off Selected Brands)
June 17, 2011 @ 12:23 AM
tparasiticmind

So I'm about to start on my second pair of sneakers. I made my first pair last year and I had two problems.
The first was that I couldn't paint a light color on top of a dark color, which the woman at the store told me the paint could easily handle. So if I laid down a dark purple layer, there was no way I could paint light blue on it. (As a sidenote, mixing paint with neutral paint did nothing, but white did lighten up some colors.)
The second problem was that I was using masking tape to paint some complicated shapes since I don't trust my freehand. So i put down the base color, put masking tape to cover the rest of the shoe and painted in the pattern with another color. But when I lifted off the masking tape, being as careful as I could, I still pulled some of the second color off which formed like a film. Is there a way to avoid this?

Hope you guys can offer suggestions on these two issues. Thanks in advance.
July 4, 2011 @ 04:04 PM
benjiblunt

Hi,
I think you'll find that some colours are more opaque than others. If you want a lighter colour make sure you mask off the area for it before putting down the dark coat, rather than painting a dark undercoat.
Paint should not come off aslong as you prep the leather properly (removing existing paint/varnish) and apply thin coats of paint and allow to dry properly in between.

Please login first to reply.