Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
January 23, 2009 @ 07:29 AM
unnamedone

Hi, hopefully this is allowed here.

I know right now isn't the best time to apply for retail jobs, but I'll like to prepare my resume for later on (perhaps Feb-March) to apply to Foot Locker or Champs in Toronto malls. Does anyone have any ideas what managers look for when hiring? I tried applying two different times at many stores but I didn't receive a single call for an interviewconfused.

I'm in my second year at Ryerson, I don't have much retail experience other than some fast food. I do have a few volunteer hours. My friend was able to get his first job at Foot Locker when he was 16, but he did have solid volunteer work (he quit after a couple of weeks because he hated it).

Gracias amigos.
January 23, 2009 @ 11:59 AM
jaychiz

are you wanting to work there strictly for shoe discounts?

if that's the case i would look elsewhere
January 23, 2009 @ 02:25 PM
Zero_Regret

You don't really need much... just need references and u gotta do well on the interview and ur fine. They also have a test that you have to do... its like an integrity test and if you pass that you're all good. I've seen dumbasses pass it so it shouldn't be too bad.
January 23, 2009 @ 03:27 PM
unnamedone

Thank you both for responding.

jaychiz - I can't say discounts isn't a factor, but it's not the sole purpose. I like a job in which I could actually enjoy, don't really care if it's minimum wage.

Zero_Regret, how does one get an interview though? I dropped off my resume before and got no response. Spoke to a couple of managers before, both basically asked for my hours available, wrote it on the back of my resume then never got back (I was very flexible with my hours given). I knew they were hiring as well since there were signs at the front.

Thanks again guys.
January 23, 2009 @ 06:07 PM
GOVOLTRONIC

it all depends on luck... i.e. if you know someone that already works there and get a good reference you get in the door. otherwise managers will look for any previous related work experience and those people will get preference. if no one has any experience and if they're not too picky then they'll interview those people whom they think best fit the position or just wait for the next batch of resumes to come in. in the end it all depends on the quality of applicants and how desperate they are to fill the position, i.e betty, john, tom, bill are all leaving what to do? but like they always say it's not what you know but who(m) you know and that's a fact in life from working at micky d's to the corporate workforce.

oh yeah forgot to mention you maybe over qualified being in university depending on the manager's view of "higher" education. just keep trying though.
January 23, 2009 @ 06:08 PM
jaychiz

Thank you both for responding.

jaychiz - I can't say discounts isn't a factor, but it's not the sole purpose. I like a job in which I could actually enjoy, don't really care if it's minimum wage.

Zero_Regret, how does one get an interview though? I dropped off my resume before and got no response. Spoke to a couple of managers before, both basically asked for my hours available, wrote it on the back of my resume then never got back (I was very flexible with my hours given). I knew they were hiring as well since there were signs at the front.

Thanks again guys.

then work at a boutique shop then, you don't want to be associated with foot locker or champs

shopping mall retail is not a job anyone really enjoys
January 23, 2009 @ 06:11 PM
Guapamole

I believe they are looking for someone that is really enthusiastic about selling their product. Every time I go in they are all up on my ass to buy something and if they can help me. Think of the job as if you were a car salesman.

Convince the interviewer that you:
1. Good People Skills
2. Can Sell A Product
3. Good Energy

This is an observation that I have seen.
January 23, 2009 @ 09:38 PM
Siye

then work at a boutique shop then, you don't want to be associated with foot locker or champs

shopping mall retail is not a job anyone really enjoys

Speak for yourself, man.

Retail (like any other sector) is highly subjective. So many different variables account for whether you have a favorable or negative experience in the work place. Sometimes it "just" isn't about money.

I don't think you need alot of credentials or experience to get hired at all. You can't be overqualified either. My advice.... 1) You have to have flexible hours 2) Dazzle in the interview. AND before you even get interview.. make sure you try in any possible way to SHOW that you really want the position. Drop off your resume to the manager in person.. give a lil blurb why you want to work with their team. You know little details like that make all the difference. Be persistent and really... you can't fail.

GOOD LUCK. I hope you get the job!
January 24, 2009 @ 12:28 AM
Zero_Regret

You have to be enthusiastic... some people just go in there and be like... can I drop off my resume etc? Then just leave. Striking up convo is good for making first impressions. I've killed the last couple of interviews I had because I can talk my way through things. The thing is they have those signs where they are looking to hire new people but it may not necessarily be for that particular location.
January 24, 2009 @ 02:14 AM
-kT

it all depends on luck... i.e. if you know someone that already works there and get a good reference you get in the door. .

Kinda weird, but the Richmond Centre FL doesn't hire based on if you know employees or not. I think they assume you're gonna steal stuff or something if you know a friend there.

I don't know if that's still true, but it was half a year ago.
January 24, 2009 @ 02:26 AM
naturefreak

Kinda weird, but the Richmond Centre FL doesn't hire based on if you know employees or not. I think they assume you're gonna steal stuff or something if you know a friend there.

hahaha yes! my friend knows the manager there and she says a few years back an employee stole a lot of pairs of shoes there.... and when you apply, they give you a form/quiz to fill out that asks you these weird ass questions about stealing....
i guess they would hire you base upon how well you did on that quiz lol
January 24, 2009 @ 02:37 AM
sellme

Getting this type of job is 99% about your people skills, not whatever the fuck you have on your resume. Just walk up to the manager or someone working there and discuss random shit for 10 mins, then drop the fact that you're looking for a job and hand them your resume. Just be super chill and don't come off as needy or reactive. If for some reason they forget about you and don't call within the week, then you should call them.
January 24, 2009 @ 03:08 AM
wikedwun

Footlocker pays U shit & the discount ain't that great, can't even use it on J's
January 24, 2009 @ 03:58 AM
zyezye

Getting this type of job is 99% about your people skills, not whatever the fuck you have on your resume. Just walk up to the manager or someone working there and discuss random shit for 10 mins, then drop the fact that you're looking for a job and hand them your resume. Just be super chill and don't come off as needy or reactive. If for some reason they forget about you and don't call within the week, then you should call them.

sooo fucking true.

especially when you know what you're talking about. i remember i had a convo with my friend about what shoes he should get for ball. the manager heard me and we started having a convo and basicly debated on what shoe he should get and after that he even asked me if i wanted to work there cuz he like to have more people like me. but i didnt live in the area so its a no no =T.
January 24, 2009 @ 11:26 AM
jaychiz

there was a internal issue 8-9 years ago where pretty much where the guy running the show was a moron and staff were stealing like crazy and when corporate caught on the entire stuff got dropped and they started hiring middle aged women and fobs to run the store
January 24, 2009 @ 05:34 PM
unnamedone

Thank you all for your responses, appreciate it.

I don't know anyone that works at FL or Champs so I'm pretty much SOL in terms of getting any kinds of hookups. Sellmestuff mentions a good point in that it's more about people skills than resume so I guess I'll just leave out that I'm a student in case a manager thinks that I'll be too busy with school. My plan is to walk in when it's not busy and try to strike up a conversation with the person who looks most like a manager, then drop off the resume if I feel that the manager doesn't hate me.

Is it true that they don't give discounts on Jordans? I seen many people talk about using their discounts on J's.
January 24, 2009 @ 09:31 PM
jaychiz

Thank you all for your responses, appreciate it.

I don't know anyone that works at FL or Champs so I'm pretty much SOL in terms of getting any kinds of hookups. Sellmestuff mentions a good point in that it's more about people skills than resume so I guess I'll just leave out that I'm a student in case a manager thinks that I'll be too busy with school. My plan is to walk in when it's not busy and try to strike up a conversation with the person who looks most like a manager, then drop off the resume if I feel that the manager doesn't hate me.

Is it true that they don't give discounts on Jordans? I seen many people talk about using their discounts on J's.

they're not supposed to get discounts on them because they still sell out at full price for the most part, maybe after 4 weeks or something they'll give the staff a shot at them
January 25, 2009 @ 01:32 AM
jak

The only time head office nixes discounts on Jordans is when they're limited in Canada (2/21s for example) or big sellers, like the 11/12s.

I manage a Foot Locker in Toronto right now and I'll tell you exactly what we all look for in a part timer. If you go in to drop off a resume, ask to talk to the manager first. Wear a collar so you don't look like a pile of crap. Introduce yourself so the manager remembers your name. They'll call someone who they remember over someone with a better looking resume.

Make sure you have a reason for wanting to work there. Wanting a part time job is a shit reason. Wanting to gain more experience in a shittier reason. If you need to make one up, that's fine, just make sure its good. That's one of the main things we look at for our hiring process.

Don't get your friends to hook you up with a job either, and don't have you friends come with you when you drop off your resume. We don't hire friends because they always end up talking the whole shift instead of selling and coming in with your friends is stupid as YOU are looking for a job. I'm just hiring you, not your whole posse.

edit: don't go in and chat with an employee and then ask for a job. get to the point otherwise you look like a total goon and a snake because you can't just come out and say you want a job.
January 25, 2009 @ 07:03 PM
unnamedone

The only time head office nixes discounts on Jordans is when they're limited in Canada (2/21s for example) or big sellers, like the 11/12s.

I manage a Foot Locker in Toronto right now and I'll tell you exactly what we all look for in a part timer. If you go in to drop off a resume, ask to talk to the manager first. Wear a collar so you don't look like a pile of crap. Introduce yourself so the manager remembers your name. They'll call someone who they remember over someone with a better looking resume.

Make sure you have a reason for wanting to work there. Wanting a part time job is a shit reason. Wanting to gain more experience in a shittier reason. If you need to make one up, that's fine, just make sure its good. That's one of the main things we look at for our hiring process.

Don't get your friends to hook you up with a job either, and don't have you friends come with you when you drop off your resume. We don't hire friends because they always end up talking the whole shift instead of selling and coming in with your friends is stupid as YOU are looking for a job. I'm just hiring you, not your whole posse.

edit: don't go in and chat with an employee and then ask for a job. get to the point otherwise you look like a total goon and a snake because you can't just come out and say you want a job.

Thanks a lot man, great to have some first hand knowledge to go along with the other tips from people in this thread.

Quick question, I'm guessing that submitting an application through footlocker.ca is the worst way to apply for a job since you guys probably just ignore those who don't even have the decency to go in person right?
January 25, 2009 @ 07:15 PM
zyezye

yes. unless its futureshop or anyother place that takes only online resumes. which is fucking stupid. applying for futureshop is near impossible with out an insider.
January 26, 2009 @ 05:26 PM
-kT

there was a internal issue 8-9 years ago where pretty much where the guy running the show was a moron and staff were stealing like crazy and when corporate caught on the entire stuff got dropped and they started hiring middle aged women and fobs to run the store

Was this Richmond Centre?

Back when I got hired at Sportchek, the same thing pretty much happened. 5-10 staff members got fired for stealing suprised
January 26, 2009 @ 09:50 PM
chrisernator

wow i gotta work at safeway rite now =='' I should have applied for footlocker or something. Just started tho, i don't want to quit yet, maybe in another 2 months or so. The good thing tho, is that the pay is 9.75/ hour =D

and yes handing in your resume directly to the manager is good. Start some small talk, but what is also good is your availability. the more hours you are available to work, the better it is for them.
January 26, 2009 @ 10:57 PM
stoozi

kt u serious ? lol i never knew thatt. who wer they ?
January 27, 2009 @ 01:00 AM
-kT

kt u serious ? lol i never knew thatt. who wer they ?

I'll tell you next time I see you ahaha. Just incase. At least one of them is on here LOL

That's why they made us review all the shoplifting policies and stuff!
January 27, 2009 @ 01:31 AM
stoozi

yeaaa buh..shuldnt that be a standard in everystore?
January 28, 2009 @ 11:20 AM
chrisernator

Was this Richmond Centre?

Back when I got hired at Sportchek, the same thing pretty much happened. 5-10 staff members got fired for stealing suprised

wow kT, i applied at the sportchek in richmond center before working at safeway, but they didn't take me...i went to see the manager and everything == probably because back then, i just turned 14...
January 29, 2009 @ 01:55 AM
-kT

yeaaa buh..shuldnt that be a standard in everystore?

Yeah true. They were a lot more hardcore after that with bag checks and everything. But I agree, they should've had that from the start in the first place.

wow kT, i applied at the sportchek in richmond center before working at safeway, but they didn't take me...i went to see the manager and everything == probably because back then, i just turned 14...

When was this?
I have a friend who works there who's 14, turning 15 this year

Did they interview you?
Or did you not even get called after dropping off your resume?
February 2, 2009 @ 11:31 AM
chrisernator

i did not even get called after dropping in the resume =( funny thing is tho, i even went to the manager and dropped it off. And i kinda knew the manager a bit through a friend....i have no idea why they didnt even give me a chance for interview. I'm thinking because i was still 14 back then....
February 5, 2009 @ 01:07 PM
-kT

i did not even get called after dropping in the resume =( funny thing is tho, i even went to the manager and dropped it off. And i kinda knew the manager a bit through a friend....i have no idea why they didnt even give me a chance for interview. I'm thinking because i was still 14 back then....

It's always worth it to try again if you're still interested. Contrary to popular belief, it's not hard at all to get a job at Sportchek.

Like I said, I have a friend there whos 14. She looks older though, could pass for 16 or 17. If you're 16 but look like you're 13 you probably won't get hired.
February 21, 2009 @ 09:05 AM
CARLOSO

honestly, i got a interview the next day when i dropped off my resume and got the job 3 days after, their interviews are easy, just talk about how you have good customer service experience from your previous jobs and mention how you collect shoes so you know the products, thats what i did and i love my job

MADE YOU LOOK

Please login first to reply.