Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
January 11, 2008 @ 01:00 AM
Hyper.

So... my friend is considering moving to Toronto and a couple of us were thinking...why not, see what it's like. I guess I'm wondering what generally it would cost for 4 people to live together IN toronto. no GTA. If you're in Toronto and older than 20, let me know what your situation is just to get an idea what we might be getting into...honestly it's appreciated because Craigslist can lie pretty hard sometimes.

thanks
January 11, 2008 @ 04:05 PM
thescott

Another good site to checkout is www.rentersnews.ca/ where you can search by cost/ # of rooms etc. etc.

It may be kind of hard to get an accurate idea of how big the places are and layouts from small internet pictures, but it will give you an idea of what you're dealing with. Also, being from Van. you may not be familiar with the neighborhoods, so although some places may seem affordable to could be lookin at a roach infested slumhole.
January 11, 2008 @ 04:54 PM
1000lbs

I would say stick with the relative "downtown" area. The "GTA" as it were are not really great places to live if you're young and like fun. Tons of Asian hypebeasts and SuFuers live there but they all just come into the city anyway. Scarborough/Etobicoke/Missisauga/etc. are all lame places to be stuck, especially without a car.
If you can score a place in either Riverdale or Parkdale you'll dig it. My advice? Go west. The Queen/College West areas get a lot of heat for their hipsterdom and gentrification but the truth is they're pretty livable places. As stated above, Riverdale is just about the only thing eastward of any note. People will try and tell you that the Beaches are awesome but good luck scoring a place and its actually full of Malvern thugs who want to piss in your eye because you looked at them.
However, all of these places are too fucking expensive and your best course of action is to just move to Montreal. The rent is cheap, convenience stores sell beer, and the ratio of girls to guys is about 3-1. The only downside are the eight month -40 winters and the fact that French Canadian culture is gay.
January 11, 2008 @ 04:57 PM
1000lbs

And thedream's comment about forgoing craigslist is gospel as well.
January 11, 2008 @ 06:37 PM
ackbar

college w area is cool.. reminds me somewhat of east van

everything is dt toronto is comparable or cheaper than dt vancouver.. and surrounding areas in the gta are around 2-3x cheaper than gvrd
January 11, 2008 @ 07:55 PM
SprNtrl

I would say stick with the relative "downtown" area. The "GTA" as it were are not really great places to live if you're young and like fun. Tons of Asian hypebeasts and SuFuers live there but they all just come into the city anyway. Scarborough/Etobicoke/Missisauga/etc. are all lame places to be stuck, especially without a car.
If you're in the GTA, in places like mentioned above, yeah they are lame as fuck but cheaper. If you can't afford a car, there is GO Transit that will bring you to a number of TTC stations from the 'burbs. Though, that applies for the day only. GO Transit doesn't do late night service like the TTC does, so you'd need a car to go downtown at night.

I'd look around St. Clair West area. A couple of friends are renting around there, and they got a decent place for about $850 a month I think.
January 12, 2008 @ 11:17 AM

Inactive

it all comes down to this

Downtown core or a surrounding area, like Lakeshore West, College West, Bloor West, etc.

somewhere on like Dufferin, or those other northbound/southbound streets that run through through downtown like Ossington, Bathurst and so on.

I'll start looking now myself and see what I can recommend.

word thats what im trying to get to

but gotta get my money right first
January 12, 2008 @ 12:25 PM
Sean__Price

Fu(k downtown , its full of people like the ones who just posted.
All posers. North York is the place to be. Young n Sheppard to Finch
is perfect if you still need that downtown fix without the dirt bag posers.

Keep in mind your coming in from another city so the things that bother
others may not bother you because you dont know any different.

Meow
January 12, 2008 @ 02:06 PM
SprNtrl

Haha, poser. I live at Jane/Wilson.
January 12, 2008 @ 02:11 PM

Inactive

However, all of these places are too fucking expensive and your best course of action is to just [FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="7"]move to Montreal[/SIZE][/FONT]. The rent is cheap, convenience stores sell beer, and the ratio of girls to guys is about 3-1. The only downside are the eight month -40 winters and the fact that French Canadian culture is gay.

yes.

the winter isnt bad.

we usually got 2-3 snow storm.
you'll love mtl. I know.
you'll love mtl.
January 12, 2008 @ 02:17 PM
Hyper.

Sean Price - I'm coming from a city I've been in for 8 months, that I moved to from a small town in Ontario, with my ex girlfriend, and I didn't get to learn anything about it really. I still have no idea what living in the city is really like. Toronto seems much more rugged though. But, it's close to my family and everything I know which seems to make more sense. And I want to fall back on Real Estate...???????????
January 12, 2008 @ 02:57 PM
1000lbs

What small town?
January 12, 2008 @ 03:08 PM

Inactive

move to laval.
it's near mtl
they got the metro (subway) and shits.
January 12, 2008 @ 10:43 PM
Sean__Price

LMAO @ calling me a poser, and then saying that the dude should move to near Yonge/Finch. im not gonna say where i live cuz it doesnt matter, but all my addresses have always been on Finch.

For the record i would only move downtown into a condo or bangin-ass loft where I could take YOUR GIRLFRIENDS back to every night and save them from their miseries...

If he still needs that downtown fix minus all the dirt bags.
Im Jane Street born and raised , no posing here.

But an address has nothing to do with being a poser or not.
Posers and out of towners are the only people who flock down town
like its going to expire.

Meow
January 13, 2008 @ 12:35 AM
Delatocious

If you're gonna move east, move to Montreal. Rent in Toronto is worse than Vancouver. In Montreal, you can find a 1 bedroom downtown for like $700. Vancouver or TO, it's going to cost you $1100. Like Will said, the girls are fucking incredible, they'll fuck you no matter how ugly or poor you are (not as if that applies to me), and the city is fun. Period.
January 13, 2008 @ 01:12 AM
1000lbs

^^
It sounds like a joke but he's telling the truth. And let's not forget La Belle Province. You know what you can get as a side order for your poutine? More poutine.
January 13, 2008 @ 09:45 AM
clifford

I live in the heart of downtown and rent id no picnic.

a 1 bedroom condo is atleast $1200 and thats on the lower end, you can find some rental buildings for $800 but they arent that nice and tend to be in crappier areas. look in the danforth area, thats where most of the rental houses tend to be and the prices arent too bad.
January 14, 2008 @ 12:55 PM
Hyper.

remember though this should be like at least 3 people living together so i'm not looking for a 1 bedroom. obviously the more people you live with, the cheaper it gets...

but we dont know what we want yet.
August 4, 2008 @ 10:20 PM
Big Fresh

Can we pls get this thread up again?
theres no way i'mliving on res again this year!
know of any good spots?
August 4, 2008 @ 10:35 PM
torontoballer1

here bro
www.viewit.ca/
August 4, 2008 @ 10:41 PM
Big Fresh

straight.
some of the listings on there are foul.
got any prospects?
August 4, 2008 @ 11:56 PM
torontoballer1

a 3 bedroom apartment in a nice neighbourhood is about 1900 a month
August 5, 2008 @ 04:16 PM
sellme

number 1 is classic. "can you lend a ***** a pencil?"

lololololol
August 6, 2008 @ 05:48 PM
Sean__Price

My boy rents out his 1 bedroom + den condo at Young n Sheppard for $1400
plus utilities. 2 bedroom + den is about $1800 ......... Now for a 3 bedroom
im going to assume $2100-2500.

You can also do this. Price for a Tridel 2 + den is about $340-360.000
most people have to put %20 down and will use a 20 year mortgage for
example. Figure out how much your monthly mortgage is and thats the
approx price your place will be rented to you. Or you can move to a
dirty building and pay $1200-1700 a month for a 3 bedroom.
Best thing is to use google or viewit.ca and get some results. Im sure there
isnt too many people who know all that much on this site.

Meow
August 7, 2008 @ 12:07 PM
jack napier

I live on College near Spadina with 3 other guys.
2nd and 3rd floors, two kitchens, hardwood floors, balcony etc.
We pay $575 a month each for that plus hydro, internet, and the rest of it.

You're gonna have to line up like 10-15 properties in a span of a few days to even see one as good as that for the price range. Shit's pretty tough to find, and mad competitive. Carry a chequebook around and check craigslist every couple hours. Places get snatched up in a matter of hours sometimes.

Oh, and never email the seller unless that's a last resort. Always call, landlords never return emails.
August 7, 2008 @ 12:09 PM
clifford

My boy rents out his 1 bedroom + den condo at Young n Sheppard for $1400
plus utilities. 2 bedroom + den is about $1800 ......... Now for a 3 bedroom
im going to assume $2100-2500.

You can also do this. Price for a Tridel 2 + den is about $340-360.000
most people have to put %20 down and will use a 20 year mortgage for
example. Figure out how much your monthly mortgage is and thats the
approx price your place will be rented to you. Or you can move to a
dirty building and pay $1200-1700 a month for a 3 bedroom.
Best thing is to use google or viewit.ca and get some results. Im sure there
isnt too many people who know all that much on this site.

Meow

Rarely do you see people using a 20 year ammortization. It's usually between 30-40 years. And you don't have to put 20% down either. You can put 0 down..i wouldn't advise that but that's an option.

$1400+ utilities is steep at younge/sheppard, ur dude's making a killing...as you can find a similar place downtown in a nice condo for the same or cheaper.

To the thread starter, rent a house/townhouse, houses usually go for 1700-2200 (depending on the location). Get a place that includes utilities in the price...i can't stress this enough. 4 people will use up a lot of electricity, water, etc...
August 7, 2008 @ 03:55 PM
Sean__Price

I was using tridel as a refrence. They require 25% i belive
for their new units in the Yonge , Finch area. If you have a good agent
some can get you in at 5% (most of the time you need to buy more than 1)

$1400 is not a killing , its a little less than his mortgage and the average
price. Move up to Finch to the Meridans and the same unit is going for about
$1600-1800. Not everybody wants to live down town with all the traffic
and noise and road clossures and tourists, there is so many rental
units that make the price drop. When people look to invest they look down
town. But the units out weigh the demand making the price lower.

Also keep in mind Tridel is number 1. Those properties at Finch are
amazing. I think in the matter of 1 1/2 years they have completed
2 or 3 building with another 2 being built as of now and more coming at
the 401.

Meow
August 7, 2008 @ 05:49 PM
clifford

I see what you're saying. And yes, I know exactly which building you're speaking of, i actually looked at a place in there when it was first built. I remember the maintenance fees being high

At the same time though, renters don't care if the condo's tridel or not...If I were to buy a condo for rental purposes i wouldn't buy a tridel, probably Concorde since they're pretty cheap (i hate them, but you'd make the most money).

Anywho, i guess we're getting off topic here

Please login first to reply.