Get 15% Off + Free Shipping on Orders over $150 - Use Code: EPICSUMMER
November 11, 2007 @ 04:32 PM
Potsnu

You can never tell if you're gonna get charged or not. Marking as a <$60 gift works, but a lot of online stores don't do it ("It's unprofessional").

USPS does it for me though, only got charged once withem, and it was like 7% of what I paid.

The courier doesn't mark the item as gift for you......the store does when they fill out the custom form at the postal service.

Almost all stores I have contacted will mark it as a gift. "It's unprofessional" my ass. Everybody has to make a living. I tell them straight up "I am going to be purchasing $400 worth of merchandise from you. Can you mark it as gift and declare the value lower. If you fulfill my request, you can expect future business from me."

Trust me, it works =p
November 11, 2007 @ 05:46 PM
drshoemugg

I never said the courier marks it as gift, and I've seen a bunch of online stores who refuse to mark as gift (normally the bigger ones). Again, this is based on my experience, so don't hate.
November 11, 2007 @ 06:10 PM
TyraCute

if the person marks $100 as value in the package and gift and is shipped with priority or EMS(through USPS)

you are more than likely paying the most $25....

you may look out from time to time
November 11, 2007 @ 09:42 PM
Potsnu

I never said the courier marks it as gift, and I've seen a bunch of online stores who refuse to mark as gift (normally the bigger ones). Again, this is based on my experience, so don't hate.

I read your post several times and every time I still get the impression that you said USPS marks it as a gift for you. I apologize if I'm dyslexic.

Well I can see where you're coming from about the big stores not wanting to do it, they have a lot to lose. But it all depends on your approach and how you talk to them. Almost all big stores will go through a 3rd party broker who declares the packages for them. Even if it's "illegal" practice, it will never come back and bite them in the ass.

For instance, Karmaloop explicitly states on their site that they do not mark items down or as a gift because it's illegal. But when you talk to a customer service rep or shoot them an e-mail, they will do it. Who really wants to lose a sale especially when all they have to do is misconstrue the truth a little....

No hatin' here, this thread is meant for informational purposes. If you have personal experiences, then share it with specific examples. That way we can all learn from our each other and not get screwed shopping abroad. That's the whole point of this thread isn't it?
November 11, 2007 @ 09:54 PM
FreshAddict

I read your post several times and every time I still get the impression that you said USPS marks it as a gift for you. I apologize if I'm dyslexic.

Well I can see where you're coming from about the big stores not wanting to do it, they have a lot to lose. But it all depends on your approach and how you talk to them. Almost all big stores will go through a 3rd party broker who declares the packages for them. Even if it's "illegal" practice, it will never come back and bite them in the ass.

For instance, Karmaloop explicitly states on their site that they do not mark items down or as a gift because it's illegal. But when you talk to a customer service rep or shoot them an e-mail, they will do it. Who really wants to lose a sale especially when all they have to do is misconstrue the truth a little....

No hatin' here, this thread is meant for informational purposes. If you have personal experiences, then share it with specific examples. That way we can all learn from our each other and not get screwed shopping abroad. That's the whole point of this thread isn't it?

has karmaloop marked down the value of items for you before?
November 11, 2007 @ 10:23 PM
drshoemugg

You can never tell if you're gonna get charged or not. Marking as a <$60 gift works, but a lot of online stores don't do it ("It's unprofessional").

USPS does it for me though, only got charged once withem, and it was like 7% of what I paid.

alright i see how you're misreading that. When I said USPS does it for me, I meant they're the best for me not "USPS marks as gift for me".

And for the purchases, I buy 1-2 shirts online nothing >$200 though, which is perhaps why they're hesitant to mark'em as gift.
November 14, 2007 @ 02:05 AM
coming_of_age

does this mean my package is being held up at my local post office?

"Status: Attempted Delivery Abroad

We attempted to deliver your item in CANADA at 12:14 PM on November 13, 2007. "
November 14, 2007 @ 08:30 AM
FreshAddict

^you probably weren't home when they tried to deliver so they'll try to deliver again or they've left a receipt thing in your mailbox to pick em up at the post office
November 14, 2007 @ 09:54 PM
Potsnu

damn bastards. I checked my mail box today....they left me a key. I used the key and opened the compartment and its empty!

Chances are the mail man left me the key, but forgot to put the package in.....I hope.
November 15, 2007 @ 07:20 AM
clifford

I figured i'd drop what knowledge i have on the issue as some people seem to be confused.

When people in the US ship to Canada they must fill out a bunch of duty sh1t. Most notably the value of the good, what type of good, etc....

Now, i always get them to mark value of $20-$30 (even on items worth $300) if they are shipping through UPSPS.

If it's through UPS that value HAS to be under $20.

In the past i've had a value of $50 marked gift through USPS and STILL got charged, it was like $8 but the point is i wouldn't risk marking value that high.

DO NOT LET ANYBODY SHIP VIA COURIER WHO WILL NOT MARK DOWN THE VALUE OF THE PRODUCT. (You will pay out the azz, go to the UPS site and look at their brokerage charges to Canada, THEN there's a customs charge, THEN there's 14% tax on top of that)

Some stores are cool with marking as gift with low values, some are not... most NTers/ISSers/ebayers are pretty cool about that too.

I even tell folk to remove all tags....customs will open boxes...be smart, cover all corners and you should be fine.

Hope this helps
November 16, 2007 @ 12:43 AM
levitibus

fuck ups there nothing but a big pile of shit

Please login first to reply.