Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
July 11, 2007 @ 01:46 AM

Inactive

This is for the all the peeps that work at SportChek, better off if u work at a location in the Lower Mainland of Vancouver.

Just wanted to know how u got in, and what type of qualifications that u had that helped u get in. What do u sell to your customers, just asking because SportChek is more of a sporting equipment store, rather than Champs and FL where u just need to sell the product with a shoe freshener or something. but to my knoweledge in SportChek, u need to be more familiar with your product, kinda like how at New Age u need to know your Nike Tech.
July 11, 2007 @ 02:16 AM

Inactive

I went to a footlocker interview back in the day and it was weird. All about sellin the damn shitty pair of shoes. Not concerned at all abut the fact that you know everythign about every sneaker in their store.
Other employees there didnt even know what uptowns were. They just see customers and jump on them...

But yeah id jump on SportChek. My bud worked there in highschool, jsut say you play lots of sports and are active and all that nonsensicalness
July 11, 2007 @ 02:58 AM
darkness2505

just walk in and hand in your resume. In the end, they jsut want you to sell as much crap as possible.
July 11, 2007 @ 07:31 AM
goatfacekillah

you guys gotta keep in mind one thing:
they don't give a fuck about how much you know about their products.

they want you to SELL them, and selling isn't entirely based on how knowledgeable you are about an item. That stuff can be taught. Selling can't.
July 11, 2007 @ 02:58 PM
Couch

Sports Chek sells garbage. It's a step down from Foot Locker, IMO.
July 11, 2007 @ 11:02 PM
MJrods

you guys gotta keep in mind one thing:
they don't give a fuck about how much you know about their products.

they want you to SELL them, and selling isn't entirely based on how knowledgeable you are about an item. That stuff can be taught. Selling can't.

^sry bud i totally disagree
I worked at the SP at richmond center, the guys that knew their shit were the top sellers, it might be true that selling cant always be taught but if u can "sell" but dont know wut the fuk ur talkin about, u'll make some sales but u end up with returned items which looks bad on ur record and reduces ur paycheck

SP does make u do h/w, a couple months before i quit, they made me take these online product courses, but in the end that actually did help with my sales

it doesnt take much to get in, u just gotta hand in ur application at the right time like in may or june, say that u do a shitload of sports, and previous job experience helps as well,

and if u compare the amount of shoes SP sells compared to footlocker, ur bound to see ur amount of "shitty" shoes, but just cuz shoes dont look "cool" doesnt mean their "shitty", SP focuses on shoes that can perform well, not shoes that look good while ur trying to perform

one more thing, by the first week if not the second u start working there, ur gonna want to quit. smile
July 12, 2007 @ 03:09 AM
stoozi

MJrods what section wht did u work in? im workin at the sportcheck in rc rite now in the footwear section. its not that bad its just that u needa have a lot of information about the products. anyways all i gotta say is u gotta make A LOT of stuff up during the interview.
July 12, 2007 @ 03:25 AM
D-Lish

^ MJrods & stussysupreme, what were your SC ID #'s?
July 12, 2007 @ 04:25 AM

Inactive

This is for the all the peeps that work at SportChek, better off if u work at a location in the Lower Mainland of Vancouver.

Just wanted to know how u got in, and what type of qualifications that u had that helped u get in. What do u sell to your customers, just asking because SportChek is more of a sporting equipment store, rather than Champs and FL where u just need to sell the product with a shoe freshener or something. but to my knoweledge in SportChek, u need to be more familiar with your product, kinda like how at New Age u need to know your Nike Tech.

Fuck these stores, just work at a restaurant, work hard and become a server. With tips you'll make way more than these sport check suckers, plus u'll actually like ur job and not want to quit.

The vancouver job market is so hot right now. Even banks have to post signs on the doors to ask people to drop off resumes. Man that shit used to never happen. Just apply to 10 - 15 places, you'll get like 6-7 calls back then just choose the place u like the best. I mean the last time i went job hunting i dropped off 1 resume at 1 store and got hired and working within 2 days.
July 12, 2007 @ 02:12 PM
stoozi

D-lish..why u ask?
July 12, 2007 @ 02:55 PM

Inactive

Fuck these stores, just work at a restaurant, work hard and become a server. With tips you'll make way more than these sport check suckers, plus u'll actually like ur job and not want to quit.

The vancouver job market is so hot right now. Even banks have to post signs on the doors to ask people to drop off resumes. Man that shit used to never happen. Just apply to 10 - 15 places, you'll get like 6-7 calls back then just choose the place u like the best. I mean the last time i went job hunting i dropped off 1 resume at 1 store and got hired and working within 2 days.

true about working at a restaurant, but it gets really tiring at a restaurant (really depends if the restaurant gets buisness), when it gets busy u gotta move up and down and everywhere, u can't stop. and u'll get much more complaints from different whiny people, than working retail by selling stuff. and in many restaurants, u can see that servers depending on the type of restaurant is much more of a chick's job.
July 12, 2007 @ 05:07 PM

Inactive

Bahhh servers are pussies.. >sad

The real hard working guys work in the kitchen. Too much drama between servers on the floor. Then again, most hypebeasts shoudl fit right in.

Just dont let them make you a dishwasher in a restaurant. Hardest working job in the universe, but you can only take so much.
July 12, 2007 @ 08:52 PM
D-Lish

D-lish..why u ask?

because i am curious as to what number they have hit now.
July 12, 2007 @ 09:55 PM
stoozi

ohh...im 67105
July 13, 2007 @ 03:03 AM

Inactive

Bahhh servers are pussies.. >sad

The real hard working guys work in the kitchen. Too much drama between servers on the floor. Then again, most hypebeasts shoudl fit right in.

Just dont let them make you a dishwasher in a restaurant. Hardest working job in the universe, but you can only take so much.

but for cook, they don't just automatically hire u unless u got some prior experience whether it be in another restaurant or some courses that u took
July 13, 2007 @ 03:59 AM
D-Lish

ohh...im 67105

holy shit... they've gone through a lot of hiring
July 13, 2007 @ 10:55 AM
darkness2505

but for cook, they don't just automatically hire u unless u got some prior experience whether it be in another restaurant or some courses that u took

depends where you apply. obvioulsy if you apply to big restuarant chains (keg, cactus, milestone...etc) you will likely not get hired. So apply to small, independently owned restaurants. That way, they will teach you and you will also have somthing to write about on your resume. My friend got a job at this Italian restaurant without prior cooking knowledge/experience.
July 13, 2007 @ 03:44 PM

Inactive

depends where you apply. obvioulsy if you apply to big restuarant chains (keg, cactus, milestone...etc) you will likely not get hired. So apply to small, independently owned restaurants. That way, they will teach you and you will also have somthing to write about on your resume. My friend got a job at this Italian restaurant without prior cooking knowledge/experience.

thx..., but do u know how ur friend knew about this oppurtunity at this restaurant. i normally just look at the newspaper, or if i walk by stores i look at what they got outside and sometimes they got ads with hiring signs. but aren't most independently owned restaurants like family runned, so they rarely get outsiders to join in. and if they do, its only a few

ya, and they've probably fired a whole lot of ppl. too
July 13, 2007 @ 04:43 PM
darkness2505

he just saw it in the newspaper or i think it was craiglist. Dont remember. The restaurant is in west van if that makes a difference. If you know friends that work at similar places, get them to refer you.
July 13, 2007 @ 05:15 PM
stoozi

what was your number when u worked there?
July 13, 2007 @ 07:55 PM

Inactive

he just saw it in the newspaper or i think it was craiglist. Dont remember. The restaurant is in west van if that makes a difference. If you know friends that work at similar places, get them to refer you.

thx!!!, i nvr. even noticed the Jobs Column on Craigslist
July 14, 2007 @ 03:32 AM
kranium

or you can work at both lmao. i work at a restaurant and i just basically keep sport chek on the side altho i only get like one or two shifts every couple of weeks.

it's true you can make a lot as a server, but the real fun is being behind the bar [bartenders can make a loooot of money]. i'm only a busser but i barback sometimes to help out the bartenders when they're slammed. they teach me how to pour drinks and basic flair and i get tipped by the bartenders at the end of the night. it's a good way to start bartending without necessarily having to go to bartending school.
July 14, 2007 @ 11:15 PM
MJrods

MJrods what section wht did u work in? im workin at the sportcheck in rc rite now in the footwear section. its not that bad its just that u needa have a lot of information about the products. anyways all i gotta say is u gotta make A LOT of stuff up during the interview.

i worked in the footwear section too, it was around the time they started actually getting retro jordans haha, it was alright at first, but i guess competing for sales wasnt my thing...

^ MJrods & stussysupreme, what were your SC ID #'s?

my number was like 40656 or sumthin i dunno...
July 15, 2007 @ 01:04 AM
stoozi

MJrods are you kareem?
July 15, 2007 @ 01:17 PM

Inactive

thx..., but do u know how ur friend knew about this oppurtunity at this restaurant.

Restaurants are allllllways hiring. People leave em quickly.
Just dont work as a dishwasher, and maybe theyll put you as a busser. Or a smaller role in the kitchen. Most cooks in restaurant chain kitchens are dumbasses anyways, theyve jsut been working there for a long time.
Work hard and dont slack, and theyll notice. So just go in and hand in your resume to the hot hostess
July 15, 2007 @ 03:22 PM

Inactive

So just go in and hand in your resume to the hot hostess

do u guys normally just hand it in to whoever thats out by the door or whoever thats avaliable. i normally attempt to get the manager out, however this is harder in a restaurant, as they aren't usually at the front door waiting for u. but if u give it to one of the employees, aren't u scared that they might just toss it to the side, or just rip it apart so theres no attempt taken towards their job. and u won't be able to introduce urself to the person thats going to hire you.

SECOND THING:
I'm gettin interview by Sportchek, for those that have done this before, what are the chances of being hired, and what are some things to keep in mind when questions are asked
July 15, 2007 @ 03:29 PM
stoozi

get ready to make a lot of stuff up. they are gonna ask you questions that you would do in certain situations. just be smart. and say you play a lot of sports
July 15, 2007 @ 05:58 PM
D-Lish

my numer was in the 29100's

just list all these sports you are into and tell them all about customer service etc...
July 15, 2007 @ 06:33 PM

Inactive

what are the chances of getting hired, was it pretty easy for u guys after u answered their questions and was "being smart" during the interview

they called me up and did a mini-interview on the phone, u guys get that
July 15, 2007 @ 07:58 PM
MJrods

MJrods are you kareem?

naw man im asian

Please login first to reply.