Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
September 13, 2011 @ 12:15 PM
J THRILLLAH

HB! I'm a culinary student, aiming to graduate in May. Toronto is on my list of places to move to, and I was wondering how is it up there compared to other cities. (I've heard a lot of positive things so far, but more info wouldn't hurt!) I'm curious how the restaurant/culinary industry is up there, and I'm assuming you can get around through public transportation? Also, which areas or districts are the best place to live in, and which places to avoid? Thanks ahead for the info, looking forward to visit after graduation as well. (I dig how you guys have healthcare!)

September 13, 2011 @ 02:56 PM
Don Quixote

I live in Toronto and its pretty diverse.. It has some amazing restaurants like onoir ( dining in the dark ) which was pretty fun and interesting when I went. Store wise its decent, better than most cities in Canada. It depends what kinda person u r but you could live Downtown or near lakeshore, they got some nice condos there. our public transit TTC is not too bad too, they are slowly introducing new trains to the subway system.. yeap.. toronto got something for everybody

In the sacred name of Dulcinea

September 14, 2011 @ 12:32 PM
Rockwe11

HB! I'm a culinary student, aiming to graduate in May. Toronto is on my list of places to move to, and I was wondering how is it up there compared to other cities. (I've heard a lot of positive things so far, but more info wouldn't hurt!) I'm curious how the restaurant/culinary industry is up there, and I'm assuming you can get around through public transportation? Also, which areas or districts are the best place to live in, and which places to avoid? Thanks ahead for the info, looking forward to visit after graduation as well. (I dig how you guys have healthcare!)

What kind of job are you looking for? There are tons of mediocre restaurants that hire line cooks. And then there are high end restos that want competent chefs. Tons of job opportunities.

In terms of the city, like any other city, it will only be as good as you make it. We have everything any city has, it's yours to discover.
September 15, 2011 @ 11:11 AM
J THRILLLAH

I've worked the line for five years, so I'd be down for a line cook position or even a sous chef. Thanks for all the info!

September 15, 2011 @ 11:47 AM
Rockwe11

I've worked the line for five years, so I'd be down for a line cook position or even a sous chef. Thanks for all the info!

Chances are you'd have to make your way from plating making appetizers to sous chef but I'm sure it is possible if you have the drive it will be possible. You'd probably want to come check out the city first before you make a move. There are tons of good restaurants and tons of mediocre restaurants and tons of terrible ones.

Please login first to reply.