FLASH SALE - 25% OFF - USE CODE: FLASH25 (25 HOURS ONLY)
December 17, 2009 @ 04:29 PM
looking

I know it's been out for awhile now, but I'm a bit irked by seeing ransom at Holt. I don't want to bad mouth Ransom/GF/Nomad but I can't help feel that they're selling out.

I'm pretty sure you're not going to see a supreme T being sold at Holt, Saks, etc. I'm all for building your brand and making money, but there needs to be something said about remaining true to the "culture".

What you guys thinking?
December 17, 2009 @ 05:04 PM
frrresh

It's a bold move on Matt George's part in my opinion. Ransom is there in house brand and when you collaborate with a company like adidas its going to get attention. There was an article on the new collab in GQ as well. Personally I don't shop at holt but the thing with ransom is its not super streetwear influenced. The pieces are very well made,etc but its not something like the hundreds, stussy,etc. I'm a big supporter of ransom because its a canadian brand and I think if a company like holt approaches you about your products, it can either go really well or really bad. They will just get more attention and new customers as well..marketing 101 haha.

cheers
December 17, 2009 @ 06:06 PM
ktan09

It's not selling out at all, they don't necessarily cater to streetwear hipsters. It's a smart business move to expand your horizons. The jackets and button ups are all stuff you can wear to the office or just a day out with your friends, it's nothing too formal or casual at all. The types of things they sell could be found at Holt's anyways, 10% of a little is better than 0% of a lot.
December 17, 2009 @ 06:59 PM
looking

I'm not saying it's a bad business move - yes it's a great business move. But still building your brand doesn't mean you have to sell out. There are tons of street brands that make a lot of money without selling out.

I'm not sure why you guys don't think their style isn't street influenced. When I look at that stuff, I see a lot of street in the style. Just because it can be worn in the office doesn't mean it's not street influenced/style. I would say, because it's worn in the office nowm it is a perfect example of how street culture is being sold out.
December 17, 2009 @ 09:04 PM
bryanayrb

I'm not saying it's a bad business move - yes it's a great business move. But still building your brand doesn't mean you have to sell out. There are tons of street brands that make a lot of money without selling out.

I'm not sure why you guys don't think their style isn't street influenced. When I look at that stuff, I see a lot of street in the style. Just because it can be worn in the office doesn't mean it's not street influenced/style. I would say, because it's worn in the office nowm it is a perfect example of how street culture is being sold out.

who the hell said they sold out? their shit is being sold at holt's.. alongside APC, Wings & Horns.. its not like they're collaborating with Gap or something

nobody said their stuff isn't street influenced (cause it obviously is).. but the direction they're moving in is more upscale, cleaner and fitted. ransom grew up with their clientele and you can only respect what they're doing now even if you don't wear it

supreme =/= ransom
December 18, 2009 @ 04:13 AM
Eugene K.

Holt is still a pretty niche and select retailer. Kudos to then if they can get in cause it enhances the brand's image in my opinion.

I see taking things to a more commercial level as selling out. But Holt's distribution is still pretty small, you can probably count the number of stores they have on two (maybe even oneconfused hand. The move is far from a lucrative money maker.
December 18, 2009 @ 04:36 AM
lc21

Smart move. BUT LAWLZ
December 18, 2009 @ 07:53 AM
livestok

i agree with OP shouldnt have let Holts sell it. The valleys were selling fine
December 18, 2009 @ 09:27 AM
Alicks

^grow up
o no ransom went out and tried to expose their shoe to people that don't normally shop at ransom/goodfoot
December 18, 2009 @ 04:45 PM
livestok

^grow up
o no ransom went out and tried to expose their shoe to people that don't normally shop at ransom/goodfoot

what does age have to do with exposing a brand? and having it retailed at holts all over the country destroys the image, like OP said would Supreme be the same if it was sold at pacsun or zumiez?
December 18, 2009 @ 05:08 PM
looking

I think there might be some confusion between growing a brand and selling out (going commercial). You can grow your brand without selling out, it's not how many people are wearing your stuff it's how you go about exposing your brand that makes a difference between selling out and not.

There are a lot of brands out there that grow their brand and market without selling out. It's even possible for you to work with commercial companies and not sell out (example Collette x Gap). But what Ransom seems to be doing is simply going commercial (and I'm not hating them for wanting to make money and I'm not saying it's a bad business decision). It seems like they're trying to chase the money instead of grow the Brand in a way the foster street culture.

Ya, Holt might have a selected # of stores, but Holt is very commercial.
December 19, 2009 @ 12:00 AM
zyezye

wait wait wait... AT HOLT? WTF? is it only in vancouver? if not, fuck i can finally abuse my 50% discount

lol whats the big deal anyway? no one was complaining when holt carried evisu or now that they're carrying red wings.

They only have a handful of locations, but they don't even distribute all their brands through out all their branches. maybe only Vancouver ( or is it Toronto? ) will carry the brand, so it wouldn't be selling out, per-se. more of a pop up shop in shop kinda thing.

but I think its a one time thing. I know that they have a few brands that they carry for one season then after that they just drop it. My moms told me if it isn't on the websites list it isn't an "official"/"permanent" brand that would stay in shop and isnt widely distributed. once its sold out, its sold out, no restocks.
December 19, 2009 @ 12:37 PM
Goldi

there is a very real movement of streetwear brands moving into high-street retail arenas [one other example is Gourmet getting that SAKS account... incidentally RANSOM stocks Gourmet]. and if i had to guess, every streetwear creative director [not always overtly] wants to be considered high-street. Rick Klotz hints at it, Bobby Hundreds decides to get inspired by Goyard (who could give a shit less about the culture).

i have very mixed feelings about it.

On one hand, it clearly betrays why I choose to buy a culturally-relevant product with roots in the streetwear culture. I don't drop cash on streetwear because the product is superior, i do it to support an alternate retail market that caters to the culture I 'feel at home with' with [skateboarding, hip-hop, 80s/90s/sneakerheadism, punk]. The money is going to independent brands run by people like me. the streetwear argument was always intriguing because we had our 'own' boutiques that rivaled places like Holts/Saks in their overall presentation and brand experience.

That being said, look at Hypebeast. We went from Rogue Status news to Band of Outsiders news. Hypebeastism has evolved from being trend-setting amongst the streetwear culture to being bookmarked by GQ/men.style.com. I still remember Scott Schuman saying how he couldn't live without his Supreme hoodie in GQ. Hypebeastism/streetwear has mainstream aspirations very much in line with high-street culture and i don't see it going back to 'the way it was'. The making money and selling-out argument, while i understand the sentiment, is weak. Everyone wants to and must make money to keep a business running: It's how you make that money that is the crux of the matter.
December 19, 2009 @ 04:17 PM
thenorthside

Holt is still a pretty niche and select retailer. Kudos to then if they can get in cause it enhances the brand's image in my opinion.

I see taking things to a more commercial level as selling out. But Holt's distribution is still pretty small, you can probably count the number of stores they have on two (maybe even oneconfused hand. The move is far from a lucrative money maker.

i couldnt have said it any better.

That being said, look at Hypebeast. We went from Rogue Status news to Band of Outsiders news. Hypebeastism has evolved from being trend-setting amongst the streetwear culture to being bookmarked by GQ/men.style.com. I still remember Scott Schuman saying how he couldn't live without his Supreme hoodie in GQ. Hypebeastism/streetwear has mainstream aspirations very much in line with high-street culture and i don't see it going back to 'the way it was'. The making money and selling-out argument, while i understand the sentiment, is weak. Everyone wants to and must make money to keep a business running: It's how you make that money that is the crux of the matter.

well-said

9 to 5 is how to survive, i ain't tryin' to survive. i'm tryin' to live it to the limit and love it a lot

December 19, 2009 @ 04:19 PM
thenorthside

well-put though

9 to 5 is how to survive, i ain't tryin' to survive. i'm tryin' to live it to the limit and love it a lot

December 20, 2009 @ 09:40 PM
chaplip

well...they are trying to expand and reach out to a mature clientel that would level to their brand. no disrespect still.

i see it like how RL went from business man looking guys to street cats wearing it. RNSM is street cats making the move to business man. IMO

if i was trying to do so then i would have also done it...

it's not selling out, it's making the right moves.
December 20, 2009 @ 09:43 PM
chaplip

oh yeah...there is a HOLT in Montreal also...
December 21, 2009 @ 04:53 PM
livestok

as of today they are at getoutside too
December 22, 2009 @ 11:22 PM
DrewDogg

I haven't been in Holts in some time. What exactly is in their stores right now? The Ransom Footwear? Or the whole line including their garments?

I think in my opinion, that would somewhat effect what I think about this.
December 23, 2009 @ 07:40 AM
5tan

Its just the Valleys.

People getting their panties in a bunch because now, non 'shoeheads/streetwear' folk gonna be rocking those shoes. And they feel insecure because now they wont feel as cool since other people will have them too.

WOMP

Good move on having them there. The Buyer for Holt Renfrew made a wise choice, considering they are selling like hot cakes.

edit--- good info on the GetOutside note, I'll be there today to get my brown valleys.
December 23, 2009 @ 10:15 AM
livestok

dont buy them from ransom if you are a student, since getoutside takes SPC so you cant get it cheaper. just a heads up
December 23, 2009 @ 01:15 PM
ahhhrt

But everyone thinks they a sneakerhead now, so it really doesn't matter.
December 26, 2009 @ 05:35 PM
Cboom

Why would one want to be 'sneakerhead'?
December 27, 2009 @ 12:47 AM
zyezye

what does ransom have to do with being a sneakerhead in the first place?
January 6, 2010 @ 10:40 AM
chaplip

what does ransom have to do with being a sneakerhead in the first place?

the roots i guess...

i'm having an image of a cool guy seeing an old man rocking the same steez smile

man makes the money. money don't make the man
January 9, 2010 @ 04:24 PM
Cboom

^What in God's name are you talking about?
January 14, 2010 @ 03:19 PM
chaplip

^What in God's name are you talking about?

"non 'shoeheads/streetwear' folk gonna be rocking those shoes"

rock what you like and make it look good. it's not the reverse. it wouldn't effect me if i see my friends father with the boots.
January 22, 2010 @ 01:25 AM
rob1

Maybe Ransom will be like CR's soon, selling at Boy's Co and every other store haha
January 25, 2010 @ 06:08 AM
Supr_Nova

wow, a lot of crying in here.

let the man make his money and his legacy, focus on your own. stop crying because a brand you bought into is making moves that make YOU feel less credible wearing and supporting them. nobody is going to miss your money.
January 25, 2010 @ 11:45 PM
nino_brown

Please login first to reply.