Labor Day - Enjoy 25% Off Your Order. Use code: LABORDAY25
March 17, 2008 @ 06:20 AM
Daws

I have a Nissan 1995 240SX SE (Silvia S14) and I was debating on whether or not to do an engine swap because the stock KA24DE sucks razz Im leaning towards and S14 Black top or S13 red top becuase of the availability and cost, but I've also been hearing about RB26DET engine swaps become popular in the 240SX. does anyone have a preference?
March 17, 2008 @ 03:18 PM
wxyz

do you want to get a motor just to have that motor or are you looking for the actual performance? also do you drift? it all depends on what you want. KA-T setups are super burley, personally id take one over a SR. only thing with the KA-T is parts for it are kinda hard to find if you want to fully build. SR is a descent motor stock and will provide you with the performance you need to drift, but you'll probably find yourself desiring more power out of it. RB26...... realistically that swap is gonna probably run you 6k and upward for everything.
March 17, 2008 @ 03:23 PM
Citizen-16657

KA parts are becoming more available(rods, pistons, etc) but the rod to stroke ratio sucks ass on them, shitty rod oiling and the redline is very low BUT if you build it right they are builtproof. Solid deck design, iron block and no need to sleeve the motor or do anything crazy to it.

I have a few friends that are making like 600whp on a fully built KA-T with a gt37R(hybrid 35/40 compressor housing).

SR20's can be sick too but most are sludged up and the oiling passages are fucked. So unless you can drop the pan on the swap before you buy it and open up the valve cover to make sure the motor isn't all sludged up or you can afford a full rebuild right off the bat I would do the KA-T.
March 17, 2008 @ 03:57 PM
wxyz

I have a few friends that are making like 600whp on a fully built KA-T with a gt37R(hybrid 35/40 compressor housing).

where its at.
But if you buy a low-milage black top sr you should be god to go, as long as you get it from a reliable source. Even more gangster get the s15 6 speed tranny cool
March 17, 2008 @ 04:17 PM
BG Concepts

There is a company in So Cal that sells a full kit for ls1/lt1 conversion in the s14.

Drift, Drag or Track, v8 is a perfect match to the s14 body.

As much as I like turbo setups (I drive a 540rwhp TTz), the instant torque of a small block v8 will put a smile on your face. Not too many people do this swap but it is by far the most effective swap $ vs power.
March 17, 2008 @ 04:26 PM
THiZZ

RB's are heavy as shit... SR's are light and they have alot of power. But im hearing more and more about people stickting with KA's and just fixing them up. Personally i favor the SR20 Redtop but that's just my perference. I owned a R32 and i hated it, nothing but hype. If you do decide to stick with an RB though get the RB25DET... that should be reasonable as far as price...and give you want you are looking for if you wanna take the RB route...

-THiZZ
March 17, 2008 @ 04:41 PM
wxyz

There is a company in So Cal that sells a full kit for ls1/lt1 conversion in the s14.

Drift, Drag or Track, v8 is a perfect match to the s14 body.

As much as I like turbo setups (I drive a 540rwhp TTz), the instant torque of a small block v8 will put a smile on your face. Not too many people do this swap but it is by far the most effective swap $ vs power.

ok so why would he want to kill himself?
March 17, 2008 @ 04:53 PM
Citizen-16657

Ivan-AMS, same guys that are the EVO gods.....
March 17, 2008 @ 06:04 PM
Chris

Just boost your KA, you will smash on sr's.
March 17, 2008 @ 11:23 PM
BruhMan

^^werd
March 23, 2008 @ 12:39 AM
paulp

s14 owner in the house

i do believe the rb is a heavy engine
also, if you get that sr20 in there, will that still be smog legal

just to save a ton of headache
i would just say, add a turbo to your current ka
March 23, 2008 @ 08:13 PM
Freakshow

s14 owner in the house

i do believe the rb is a heavy engine
also, if you get that sr20 in there, will that still be smog legal

just to save a ton of headache
i would just say, add a turbo to your current ka

Why would it matter if it is smog legal?? It's not like a cop is going to pull him over to see what engine he has. I've got a '94 Chevy 1500 2wd, with a BUILT 425c.i. Olds, no problems...but then again I live in Nebraska. Not Cali where they crack down like crazy on cars. But if has allready been inspected and all that it's no different than the guy who swaps say a 454 in his Chevy truck to replace the tired 350.
March 23, 2008 @ 09:16 PM
wxyz

^truth. but still, you can pass smog pretty easy with a sr. i guess you just take out the 3rd injector or something like that and it will pass. or just a stock or fully catted exhaust should work.
March 24, 2008 @ 04:12 PM
paulp

Why would it matter if it is smog legal?? It's not like a cop is going to pull him over to see what engine he has. I've got a '94 Chevy 1500 2wd, with a BUILT 425c.i. Olds, no problems...but then again I live in Nebraska. Not Cali where they crack down like crazy on cars. But if has allready been inspected and all that it's no different than the guy who swaps say a 454 in his Chevy truck to replace the tired 350.

if homie is using the car offroad and doesnt need tags
then, anything goes
but if dude needs reg. stickers
it obviously needs to be smog legal
and im not completely sure about the smog laws
but i dont think dmv will allow that kind of engine swap to fly

i think its ok if you get an engine from the same manufacturer from the same year or newer
it wouldnt be hard to get from a 95 or newer sentra
but i think its a dmv no go since its configured for a front wheel drive trying to install in a rear wheel drive
March 24, 2008 @ 09:23 PM

Inactive

what makes u think KA sucks?? have u been in any fully built KA-t ??
its torquey as fuck, all depends on ur budget and how fast u wanna build the car,

track/ drag = KA or RB, Drift=SR!!
March 24, 2008 @ 10:47 PM
wxyz

track/ drag = KA or RB, Drift=SR!!

NOT TRUE, LIE.
March 25, 2008 @ 06:27 PM

Inactive

NOT TRUE, LIE.

i wouldnt said its true, but most people i know that have done s13s14 swap
with those ideas, correct me, option!!
March 25, 2008 @ 07:48 PM
scfdefinit

Save yourself the hassle and just turbocharge your KA. SR20DETs are cool but it'll cost more money/maintenence in the long run.

The RB26DETT as said before is pretty heavy. Have you looked into the CA18DE? I heard some people actually prefer the CA over the SR because of how it revs. Its a lot weaker but its nice for drifting purposes.
March 25, 2008 @ 07:48 PM
grug01

I'll agree with option on this one. The SR is a much more responsive and fundamentally durable engine making it far more suitable for track work than the KA. A lot of people argue that a KA can be rebuilt to be durable, but you can't change the fundamental design of the engine such as the rod/stroke ratio.
As for RB's - RB25's are still IMO an unresponsive engine compared to the SR20 and really aren't that suited to track. Not bad for drag though, and even pretty suitable for drift due to the torque. RB26's of course shit on anything other option you've got for a swap, but the price reflects that.
I know a lot of people build the KA over in the states but IMO it's kind of flogging a dead horse. The SR has far more potential and it's worth doing the swap in the first place. It's a bit like comparing Honda D series to B series. Of course you can get excellent results with a D but the same time/effort/money will have yielded much better results with a B.
Of course, it's not really an issue here as all our 200sx/Silvias came with SR20's to start with and the KA was only used the Bluebird lol
March 25, 2008 @ 07:55 PM
grug01

Save yourself the hassle and just turbocharge your KA. SR20DETs are cool but it'll cost more money/maintenence in the long run.

The RB26DETT as said before is pretty heavy. Have you looked into the CA18DE? I heard some people actually prefer the CA over the SR because of how it revs. Its a lot weaker but its nice for drifting purposes.

Stay away from the CA. It's a piece of shit. period. The head design is prehistoric and is real limit to producing decent reliable power as it needs disproportional amounts of boost to get results. So many people here try to work with the existing ones they have when they buy an early model 180SX and just end up turfing it in favour of an SR.
An SR20 will mean less money and maintainence in the long run over turbocharging a KA, especially if you don't plan to rebuild the KA. The core fact of the matter is it's a stronger engine. It's not about it being cool, it's just better in so many ways. The only down side to them is the tendency for the rocker assembly to shit themselves at higher than stock rpm with the use of upgraded cams/springs, but this is easily sorted with rocker arm stops.
March 28, 2008 @ 06:33 PM
wxyz

Stay away from the CA. It's a piece of shit. period.

TRUTH. also not many know that the ca was the pre cursor to the rb series.
rb 20 is also a nice swap, id do one just for the sound, just straight sex, and not many can argue. but for my honest opinion i would just do a stock sr, very good to learn on, and alot of good almost pro DA cali dudes rock them, almost stock ones.
April 2, 2008 @ 11:27 PM
Freakshow

if homie is using the car offroad and doesnt need tags
then, anything goes
but if dude needs reg. stickers
it obviously needs to be smog legal
and im not completely sure about the smog laws
but i dont think dmv will allow that kind of engine swap to fly

i think its ok if you get an engine from the same manufacturer from the same year or newer
it wouldnt be hard to get from a 95 or newer sentra
but i think its a dmv no go since its configured for a front wheel drive trying to install in a rear wheel drive

What's the DMV to say if the car is allready licensed and tagged? You get the car liscensed before you build it, because there are no more inspections after that unless you go to sell it to some one, then it is their problem. I have a 1963 Ford Econoline Pickup. Intially the truck had a 6cyl mounted up front underneath the dog house, just like any van or vantruck like mine had. Now it has a rear mounted Ford 460ci V8 open headers the works. The DMV never said a thing when I got it inspected. But then again I'm not sure they knew what they were looking at.
April 3, 2008 @ 02:03 PM
M@d3ul00k

if your gona go SR then get the black top. which is the engine that comes in the s14's in japan. if you live in cali. good luck smogging it. i am going to be either butting a 2jz in my 85 celi/supra or turbo the engine thats in it now. i have to go through that dilemma also. im telling right now do as much homework as you can. i have done a couple swaps and doing your research to the fullest extend you can will save you time and money!

good luck with whatever you decide.
April 3, 2008 @ 04:42 PM
Daws

im prettty sure the SR2O wont pass emissions in VA sad
April 4, 2008 @ 05:06 PM
wxyz

^ it should if its stock and has a cated exhaust. if not you take like the 3rd spark plug out or somthing like that, i think i already mentioned that.
April 4, 2008 @ 05:18 PM
Citizen-16657

I'll agree with option on this one. The SR is a much more responsive and fundamentally durable engine making it far more suitable for track work than the KA. A lot of people argue that a KA can be rebuilt to be durable, but you can't change the fundamental design of the engine such as the rod/stroke ratio.
As for RB's - RB25's are still IMO an unresponsive engine compared to the SR20 and really aren't that suited to track. Not bad for drag though, and even pretty suitable for drift due to the torque. RB26's of course shit on anything other option you've got for a swap, but the price reflects that.
I know a lot of people build the KA over in the states but IMO it's kind of flogging a dead horse. The SR has far more potential and it's worth doing the swap in the first place. It's a bit like comparing Honda D series to B series. Of course you can get excellent results with a D but the same time/effort/money will have yielded much better results with a B.
Of course, it's not really an issue here as all our 200sx/Silvias came with SR20's to start with and the KA was only used the Bluebird lol

Your surely can change the rod to stroke ratio if you stroke the motor or destroke the motor......so fundamentally your wrong....
April 5, 2008 @ 01:21 PM

Inactive

i know someone selling one

sr20det swap rocker arm stoppers so you can bounce it off the rev limiter all day
welded diff
full TI turbo back exhaust
s14 seats

a swap and install is 3500 bucks usually so you are pretty much getting the car with a clear title for free

car is in nj. the paint is iffy perfect for drifting

Please login first to reply.