June 13, 2013 @ 06:55 PM
Mr_Chukes

Been looking into some cars and I have always wanted an m3 e36. Been looking at this 97 one for 8 grand. Clean tittle with 90,000 miles. I read a but of reviews on it and people say they are really reliable and easier to maintain because they share a lot of parts with the 3-series of that year. Anyone here even mess with one?
June 13, 2013 @ 08:21 PM
escobarwon

ude to have a 96 but recked loved that car ive seen some non m3 for like 5k around here might just get 1 of those

twitter @ColombianCoke

August 1, 2013 @ 06:31 AM
500sd

Been looking into some cars and I have always wanted an m3 e36. Been looking at this 97 one for 8 grand. Clean tittle with 90,000 miles. I read a but of reviews on it and people say they are really reliable and easier to maintain because they share a lot of parts with the 3-series of that year. Anyone here even mess with one?
either way that's a lot of miles for a bmw, expect rigorous amounts of maintenance in your future if you do decide to cop. 
August 1, 2013 @ 09:12 PM
Josh

either way that's a lot of miles for a bmw, expect rigorous amounts of maintenance in your future if you do decide to cop. 
this makes never want to buy a bmw, if 90k miles is a lot and I'm going to need to expect rigorous amounts of maintenance

Lil JoJo : i really want rizal! 13:10

August 2, 2013 @ 09:33 AM
Head Hunterz

90k on a 97 m3 is low af usually you'd find used m3s with 100k on or more. 

i own a 2012 m3, they do share the same parts with the 3 series

I import JDM vehicles into Canada, let me know if you're interested

August 2, 2013 @ 09:21 PM
500sd

90k on a 97 m3 is low af usually you'd find used m3s with 100k on or more. 

i own a 2012 m3, they do share the same parts with the 3 series
i wouldn't say it's low "af" at all. just because its a 97 doesn't mean 90k is low.. 90k is not low mileage by any means for german engineering. especially for a bmw. m3's are usually driven to shit too before people decide to sell them. ever wonder why there are so many m3's on the market with 100k or more? they become a burden and it's a hell of a lot easier taking care of a lower mileage car than one like such. 
August 8, 2013 @ 04:11 AM
FU2

All false... e30 and e36 are solid cars. There is a reason you still see them on the road. If properly maintained they can run past 200k easily. The perception of being expensive after 100k miles is the same with any car. Honda motors are rebuilt all the time after 120k miles. Find a forum buy a bentley manual and pick up some tools. I have never been a wrencher until I picked up a e30. I saved over 2k in labor and only spent 400 in parts. Pm me the link ill let you know what to look out for. Im glad you all have this perception of old beemers. Stay away!
August 9, 2013 @ 09:34 PM
500sd

All false... e30 and e36 are solid cars. There is a reason you still see them on the road. If properly maintained they can run past 200k easily. The perception of being expensive after 100k miles is the same with any car. Honda motors are rebuilt all the time after 120k miles. Find a forum buy a bentley manual and pick up some tools. I have never been a wrencher until I picked up a e30. I saved over 2k in labor and only spent 400 in parts. Pm me the link ill let you know what to look out for. Im glad you all have this perception of old beemers. Stay away!
"if properly maintained" ...i'm glad you can read. m3's are far from being babied, and if you think otherwise i think you should re-evaluate your life. sure there are some out there owned by retired 60 year old purists but a majority of them out there are owned by stupid kids who's parents bought them the car brand new. get your elitist bs out of here. 
August 10, 2013 @ 03:11 AM
FU2

Something called leak down and compression test..... there are good and bad thats why I offered some help on finding one. Why dont u have your mom pull her dick out your mouth. Was I in anyway being offensive? I offered my help not sure how that is being elitist. Now I know why I try and stay off HB. Jackasses like u.
August 11, 2013 @ 05:35 AM
500sd

lol a compression test isn't gonna save a gear box that's been handled by some tool trying to "speedshift" its entire life. you weren't being offensive but you were being elitist and giving misleading information. 
August 11, 2013 @ 06:54 PM
mercy

Curious do you personal experience with this car?  or any Bmw for that matter?  I could safely assume you dont and go by edmunds or kbb reviews.  If you knew any better even those reviews state how mechanically sound bmws are up until the e46.  Im apart of multiple Bmw forums and have seen many people picking up high mileage bmws with low cost to keep them as daily drivers.  Don't jump on someone for being elitist just because they have a difference in opinion.  You're not that smart.....  
August 11, 2013 @ 11:09 PM
FU2

dont bother.... 500sd doesn't have a clue.  This is hypebeast not a car forum.  He would be put to shame trying to speak on shit he dont know.
August 13, 2013 @ 08:52 AM
500sd

Curious do you personal experience with this car?  or any Bmw for that matter?  I could safely assume you dont and go by edmunds or kbb reviews.  If you knew any better even those reviews state how mechanically sound bmws are up until the e46.  Im apart of multiple Bmw forums and have seen many people picking up high mileage bmws with low cost to keep them as daily drivers.  Don't jump on someone for being elitist just because they have a difference in opinion.  You're not that smart.....  
my dad owned an e30 m3 for 5 years before selling it to a 17 year old accompanied by his mom for the sale. also, i i have a couple close friends that have pre e46 m3's because they were supposedly "cheaper" and "more reliable" than newer generations. i wouldn't be pulling shit out of my ass for no reason. i'm trying to help the op with economical advice. with a budget like 8k i doubt he has money to shell out for ridiculous maintenance fees. but i guess i have no clue according to you fools who apparently know my background in cars. this message board is just laughable sometimes...if i wasn't drunk right now i wouldn't have even gone so far as to reply to you superior posters hahaha
August 13, 2013 @ 03:17 PM
NZOO

I don't own an m3, but I seen them worked on and I have an e46 myself. My friend has a 99 m3(turbo charge) too, these cars last imo. I'd just check for common problems like the belts etc and the history on whoever is selling it. Most enthusiasts keep their cars running smooth, these maintenance fees are getting blown out of proportion. I mean when it comes to the engine ,I'd suggest taking it to a professional besides that most DIYs are on the web or you can visit forums that have people around your area willing to help you.

Don't badmind me.

August 13, 2013 @ 03:59 PM
Mr_Chukes

Not tht much mileage. My dads 97 5 series has 210,000 miles on it and it still drives well. He didnt have to do a lot of work on it until it hit 200,000
August 14, 2013 @ 02:05 AM
FU2

500sd dont be mad... its ok to be wrong sometimes. You're not the only one with a "background in cars". LOL you're not that smart buddy and you dont know it all.
August 14, 2013 @ 07:53 AM
500sd

and when did i say i know it all? old german cars are a bitch to own thats just a rule of thumb for anyone who knows anything about cars. of course, this can be quite a variable when it comes to the owner but even then the immediate cost of owning an m3 is more than most other cars. also to help with where i'm coming from, think about buying a used wrx or sti. at least half the wrx's or sti's out there on the market are driven to absolute shit and would require a transmission and/or engine swap after a week of owning it. ill say this again in different words, this isn't for every single car on the market, whether it be an m3 or an sti. looks like i clearly hit a soft spot for multiple bmw fanboys on here haha have fun talking to yourselves now
August 14, 2013 @ 03:38 PM
NZOO

and when did i say i know it all? old german cars are a bitch to own thats just a rule of thumb for anyone who knows anything about cars. of course, this can be quite a variable when it comes to the owner but even then the immediate cost of owning an m3 is more than most other cars. also to help with where i'm coming from, think about buying a used wrx or sti. at least half the wrx's or sti's out there on the market are driven to absolute shit and would require a transmission and/or engine swap after a week of owning it. ill say this again in different words, this isn't for every single car on the market, whether it be an m3 or an sti. looks like i clearly hit a soft spot for multiple bmw fanboys on here haha have fun talking to yourselves now
Dude you're an idiot, I can vouch for BMW based on proof and looking at niggas who had their shit since the 90s. I can't say same for VW due to amount of repairs all shop owners I spoke with get by me about them. They rarely break down imo.. I had my e46 for about 3 years now and pretty much all my repairs were expected at some point and not random factory faults.

Don't badmind me.

August 18, 2013 @ 09:59 PM
Mr_Chukes

looks like i gotta get a lexus guys. My brother has to cosign for me and he said he'd only sign for a lexus. So far i have seen a lexus es 300 that i liked a lot. Gonna go meet up with the due who is selling it tomorrow.
August 18, 2013 @ 11:51 PM
Josh

get an IS 300

Lil JoJo : i really want rizal! 13:10

August 19, 2013 @ 05:12 AM
Mr_Chukes

get an IS 300
How much do they usually run for? 
September 1, 2013 @ 08:07 AM
WTDWTF

the e36 m3 is a great car but alot to maintain. watch out!

Please login first to reply.