August 14, 2012 @ 11:42 PM
ACTiON FUNKENSTEiN

Hello everyone. I decided to make a build thread for my 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC. Scroll past the first paragraph to get to the good stuff.

Nowadays, domestric cars get a bad rap. Its totally understandable too, since most American cars produced in the 90s and early 2000s were total shit. However, within the past few years, American manufacturers have really been stepping their game up. One car that often gets overlooked is the Cobalt SS. Your normal run of the mill Cobalt isn't really anything special. Just a boring everyday car. The SS models are quite the opposite. The SS comes in three iterations; the 2.4L N/A model, the 2.0L Supercharged model, and the 2.0L Turbocharged model. I have the 205 HP 2.0L Supercharged model. Its fully decked out with a sunroof, Pioneer sound system and the G85 package; which consists of a limited slip differential and Recaro seats. I got the car for about $3,000 under KBB value because it was in a slight accident. As a result the front bumper is in pretty ragged shape. Now, on to the good stuff.

Current mods:

- FE5 struts and shocks

- Pedders 1.5" lowering springs

- MOOG swaybar end links

- MPx shorty antenna

Awaiting to be installed:

- ZZP 3" cold air intake

- BOSCH intercooler pump

- Zimken wheel bearings

Future mods:

- GMPP 2.25" cat-back exhaust

- ZZP 2.5" catted downpipe

- BadMab shorty header

- ZZP Stage 2 (3.0" pulley, #50 injectors, etc)

- HPTuners custom tune

Here's the car about a week after I got it. You can see the MPx shorty antenna on it.

I got sick of the plate being held on by zip-ties so I bought a fold-out mount kit. $50 and install took 30 minutes.

I got sick of the car smelling like wet farts so I decided to replace the cabin air filter. $12 and the install took 5 minutes.

Here's how the car sits after my buddy and I installed all the suspension parts. About $800 and install took about 8 hours.

I got my ZZP intake and IC pump in today. Here's the piping and the huge K&N air filter next to a beer bottle for comparison.

Well, that's about it for now. I'll update the thread as progress continues. Any questions or comments, feel free to ask and/or reply. If you want to call me and my car giant pieces of shit, that's cool too.
August 17, 2012 @ 12:09 AM
araw at bituin

nice. why didnt you go for the turbocharged one though? those twin scroll turbos are fast as fuck.

http://instagram.com/qyel

August 18, 2012 @ 03:03 AM
ACTiON FUNKENSTEiN

I was in a position where I needed to get a car ASAP and trying to spend under $10k on a car loan. I came across this for $7,500, which was about $3k under KBB so it was the best bang for the buck that I found within the 1 week time period I had to get a car.
August 18, 2012 @ 08:48 PM
RiFF RaFF

nice dude, i have my o8 cobalt lt and its fucking fun. i wish it was a little faster, i might just get a knn cold air filter system so it sounds nicer. keep up the work and update it

Be about it

November 5, 2013 @ 05:57 PM
ACTiON FUNKENSTEiN

Necro bump.

Totally forgot about this thread. I have since installed the ZZP 3" CAI. The K&N air filter is HUGE and barely fits inside the fender. The filter sits very low to the ground, so I covered it with a K&N DryCharger wrap which helps keep water out. The whine from the supercharger is insane now that the airbox is opened up.

I also installed a ZZP 3" catted downpipe a few months ago since that is the most restrictive part of the car's OEM exhaust system. I plan on getting the new ZZP shorty header for next Spring. The downpipe gives it a nice low grumble and there's no CEL since I stayed catted.

I replaced the yellow map lights in my rear-view mirror with two red 5 LED 360° bulbs. I also replaced the back license plate bulb with a white 5 LED 360° bulb.

I live in New England so winter tires are crucial. Last winter I bought a brand new set of 16" steelies and Mastercraft Glacier Grip II tires.

I just got done painting the steelies lime green with PlastiDip a few months ago in preparation for this winter. PlastiDip is a rubber material so you can peel it off if you don't like the final product.

What else did I do? I swapped out the OEM headlights with a pair of OEM blacked out headlights to get rid of all that tacky chrome. I de-badged the car and PlasiDipped the front badge all black. Right now I'm doing a bunch of maintenance to the car since it rolled 100,000+ early last year. This morning I ordered a revised timing chain tensioner, a GM steering rack lock and a revised intermediate steering shaft. I already need to replace my struts and order a new pair of summer tires. I'm thinking Hankook V12's.
November 7, 2013 @ 02:20 AM
ndrew

all those upgrades and youre still rockin steelies lmao

www.headhunterla.com

November 7, 2013 @ 01:56 PM
ACTiON FUNKENSTEiN

What? Those are my winter wheels. The car comes with 18" rims stock.

November 14, 2013 @ 05:42 PM
Paul_Noir

nice...my ex gf had one of these...nice chick car bruh

When in doubt, Fap it out...-Paul_Noir

November 14, 2013 @ 08:41 PM
ACTiON FUNKENSTEiN

She had a supercharged 4 banger that is faster than any other FWD 4 banger Jap car of that year? She sounds cool.

Anyways, replaced my timing chain tensioner today. Had to buy a 25" breaker bar and a 32mm 6pt socket to get that fucker off. Now my hands are all itchy from the fiberglass on the firewall.
November 15, 2013 @ 11:59 PM
99%Shit

No hate, but I'm pretty sure the Sentra SER Spec V and Scion tC w/ TRD super-charger from 2006 put down similar power figures.

Never really been a fan of the Cobalt due to the tails, but if you dig it, do you. The Cruze on the other hand is piff. It doesn't make the same figures, but ~140hp from a factory 1.4 turbo is nice, and the way of the future.

narsha.narsha.narsha

November 16, 2013 @ 01:47 AM
ACTiON FUNKENSTEiN

The TRD supercharger is like a $5,000 add-on that pushes 8psi lol. And it does't come with Recaro seats and a limited slip differential. I *think* The Spec V made 175hp and 180ft. lbs. of torque. My car made 205hp and 200ft. lbs. stock.
November 23, 2013 @ 02:51 PM
ItsNickBro

Cobalt? Why could've got a Nissan 350z for the same price and its way better.
November 23, 2013 @ 11:30 PM
ACTiON FUNKENSTEiN

Having a RWD car that you daily drive in New England is a bad idea with all the snow. I bought the car for $7,500 and all the 350Zs I see here on Craigslist are $11,000+. My next vehicle is going to be a single cab short bed pickup truck 4x4 5-speed. The only thing I dislike about the car is the interior plastics. The Ecotec engine is actually a pretty good engine.

Anyways, I replaced the timing chain tensioner last week. I had to get a 25" breaker bar and a 32mm 6 point socket at Harbor Freight, but otherwise it was cake.
November 24, 2013 @ 11:04 PM
99%Shit

350Z? Blecch. 280ZX with a 350ci crate > 350Z. Or a 928. cool 

And yeah, those Ecotecs have a great rep and are no slouch on the track or road.

narsha.narsha.narsha

November 25, 2013 @ 12:24 AM
ACTiON FUNKENSTEiN

I'd love a nice Datsun 240Z with a 350 in it. Datsuns are hard to find around here without extreme rot. Back in HS my friend had a 280ZX and the floorpans on both sides were completely rusted out, lol.

I also have a friend who had a sleeper Cavalier he bought for cheap. When he bought it for $1,000 it had a carbon fiber hood, cams, an intake, a 2.5" exhaust, and LSD and a stripped interior. The body was beat up but it was surprisingly quick for a POS J-body.
December 9, 2013 @ 08:56 AM
GDChoi

should dyno it, interested in numbers an SS can make
December 9, 2013 @ 06:00 PM
ACTiON FUNKENSTEiN

I want to get it dyno'd after I buy and put on the header and cat-back. Stock the SS/SC made 205hp/200tq to the wheels.

Please login first to reply.