Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
July 18, 2012 @ 01:38 AM
mrcoupe

Anyone have any experience or extra knowledge. I researched online found alot of good & bad information. confused
July 19, 2012 @ 04:24 AM
em0rtal

I've wondered this myself -- Always wanted a euro Audi/VW/Porsche
July 19, 2012 @ 10:29 PM
THiZZ

Depends on your state to be honest... Florida seems to be the most lenient when it comes to imports...
July 19, 2012 @ 11:08 PM
DG7

^ Let me reword what you said.

Florida, and Texas are the 2 states that will more than likely register your vehicle for road use. In NY, CA, & MA, not a chance.

Also, laws have changed. So if the car you want to bring over is a RHD but has a US version of it, they won't allow you to bring it over.

Another fact to consider: Your car must be 25 years or older and be on the list of cars eligible for import.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/

If the car you want to import doesn't have a US version, you can forget about it. You'll have to submit a few examples for crash testing. If you don't have tons of money, this endeavor isn't for you.

How do I know? I tried importing a 2007 3 door Audi S3. Not gonna happen. Ever.

I'd like to ask the OP, why in the world would you want to drive a RHD car in the US?
I'll give you 2 solutions:

1. Drive a USPS mail carrier.
2. Move to the UK, Japan, or Thailand if you want to drive a RHD car.
July 19, 2012 @ 11:13 PM
mrcoupe

Depends on your state to be honest... Florida seems to be the most lenient when it comes to imports...

well im in ca which is the worst place for cars
July 19, 2012 @ 11:26 PM
mrcoupe

^ Let me reword what you said.

I'd like to ask the OP, why in the world would you want to drive a RHD car in the US?
I'll give you 2 solutions:

1. Drive a USPS mail carrier.
2. Move to the UK, Japan, or Thailand if you want to drive a RHD car.

my friend converted his car from lhd to rhd and i rode it

Your right if the car exists in the us then its possible to import, i know this local guy had a 80's rhd corolla imported & he is in fact driving it around,

I have seen older skylines imported and brought out to car meets its (25 years +) its just their is a lot of issues and loopholes with importing and "trying" to register them.

maybe ill move to Thailand ...
July 20, 2012 @ 01:12 AM
99%Shit

You do know that German cars are LHD doe, right?

narsha.narsha.narsha

July 20, 2012 @ 03:52 AM
DG7

I think he meant getting a VAG car that isn't offered in the States.

Such examples would be:
-4 door R32 (MKIV & MKV)
-VW Scirocco
-Audi S3
-Audi A3 (3 door)
-B5 Audi RS4 Avant
-B7 Audi RS4 Avant
-B8 Audi S4 & RS4 Avant
-C5 & C6 Audi RS6 Avant

smile
July 20, 2012 @ 05:58 AM
Redline

your friend sounds like an idiot
July 20, 2012 @ 07:47 AM
Cybrax2

Seriously, why the fuck do you need a RHD?

Just makes everything awkward
July 20, 2012 @ 08:42 AM
nite_grind

If your in CA let's just say forget it. unless you wish to pay 6-10k for registration and a maybe. Call the State B.A.R , they can direct you to an importer. There's a lot of documentation that you need to do it 100% legit way. Any other option you consider may require serious street smarts.

GOOD LUCK!!!! It has and can be done, justhopeyouconnectedormoneylong

Nite Grind Trans | GRIPSET Auto Coterie | Cali ❤ Cloth. | SntmntL co. | NG2SQUARED | Nastie Garage |

July 20, 2012 @ 10:42 AM
mrcoupe

actually he pulled it off tho gota have some smarts for that Lol
July 20, 2012 @ 10:44 AM
mrcoupe

Seriously, why the fuck do you need a RHD?

Just makes everything awkward

yeah i hear it. but thats just my prefrence.
July 20, 2012 @ 03:08 PM
Redline

inventing the worlds biggest dildo doesnt make you smart either
July 20, 2012 @ 03:34 PM
99%Shit

Such examples would be:
-4 door R32 (MKIV & MKV)
-VW Scirocco
-Audi S3
-Audi A3 (3 door)
-B5 Audi RS4 Avant
-B7 Audi RS4 Avant
-B8 Audi S4 & RS4 Avant
-C5 & C6 Audi RS6 Avant

smile

Why he say Porsche den? :/

narsha.narsha.narsha

July 20, 2012 @ 04:02 PM
mrcoupe

correct me if im wrong but canada has more lenient import restrictions for older cars. so it would appear dumb to convert your car when you could just buy the real thing.
July 20, 2012 @ 05:01 PM
mrcoupe

If your in CA let's just say forget it. unless you wish to pay 6-10k for registration and a maybe. Call the State B.A.R , they can direct you to an importer. There's a lot of documentation that you need to do it 100% legit way. Any other option you consider may require serious street smarts.

GOOD LUCK!!!! It has and can be done, justhopeyouconnectedormoneylong

idk most people would rather just spend the money on a home or other important shit which is smart but me i think having it would always put a smile on my face
July 20, 2012 @ 09:12 PM
DG7

Such examples would be:
-4 door R32 (MKIV & MKV)
-VW Scirocco
-Audi S3
-Audi A3 (3 door)
-B5 Audi RS4 Avant
-B7 Audi RS4 Avant
-B8 Audi S4 & RS4 Avant
-C5 & C6 Audi RS6 Avant

smile

Why he say Porsche den? :/

VAG= Volkswagen Audi Group, which includes Porsche, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Bentley, Skoda, Seat, Scania, and most recently, Ducati.

Dude wants a Euro VAG car.
July 21, 2012 @ 03:47 AM
99%Shit

:/

He doesn't want a Cupra, b. He named German marques. You don't import a German marque from Spain, the laws about importing remain the same with pretty much every country other than Canada. So if you're going through the trouble, you're going to get it from Germany. Why? Because it is guaranteed to be offered in the form you wish it to be, and it won't stick out like a sore-thumb to the DMV, Feds, police, etc.

An RS6? Lol. That'd cost more to import than a new NADM 911 with all the trimmings, and it would still be illegal. There's a story online of a guy getting a LHD RS6 from Mexico, it ran 124k in '09, was registered, but was illegal on the federal level. The only way to get a Scirocco in NA is to drop 150k and get the AWD HPA version from Canada.

Want a Euro VAG car? Become a German citizen, get a Canadian work VISA, bring a German LHD VAG vehicle over with you, and you can drive it hassle free for up to 3 years.

You have it stuck in your head that because VAG makes RHD cars that somehow that is what someone would import. Nobody imports RHD German marques, there's no reason to when you drive on NA roads. Non-German versions are often base models, econo-boxes, diesels, etc.. Any place that has top-tier German VAG models, would be the same price as their German counterparts, or more. Not to mention that you could probably work out a deal with DHL if the car was leaving from Germany. Sadly, you won't see any EDM VAG vehicles under 15 years of age on NA roads, unless they were imported by a 'manufacturer' like HPA, brought in through some legal loophole, or just plain illegal.

narsha.narsha.narsha

July 21, 2012 @ 05:25 AM
Redline

correct me if im wrong but canada has more lenient import restrictions for older cars. so it would appear dumb to convert your car when you could just buy the real thing.

More lenient? Maybe. Depends on the loopholes of the state. That's completely irrelevant though.
It doesn't "appear dumb." It is dumb. Nobody wants to buy a RHD car if they can get the exact same thing in LHD for the same price.
Please explain to me the benefits of converting a car from lhd > rhd
Is it swag points?
July 21, 2012 @ 05:38 AM
Redline

:/

He doesn't want a Cupra, b. He named German marques. You don't import a German marque from Spain, the laws about importing remain the same with pretty much every country other than Canada. So if you're going through the trouble, you're going to get it from Germany. Why? Because it is guaranteed to be offered in the form you wish it to be, and it won't stick out like a sore-thumb to the DMV, Feds, police, etc.

An RS6? Lol. That'd cost more to import than a new NADM 911 with all the trimmings, and it would still be illegal. There's a story online of a guy getting a LHD RS6 from Mexico, it ran 124k in '09, was registered, but was illegal on the federal level. The only way to get a Scirocco in NA is to drop 150k and get the AWD HPA version from Canada.

Want a Euro VAG car? Become a German citizen, get a Canadian work VISA, bring a German LHD VAG vehicle over with you, and you can drive it hassle free for up to 3 years.

You have it stuck in your head that because VAG makes RHD cars that somehow that is what someone would import. Nobody imports RHD German marques, there's no reason to when you drive on NA roads. Non-German versions are often base models, econo-boxes, diesels, etc.. Any place that has top-tier German VAG models, would be the same price as their German counterparts, or more. Not to mention that you could probably work out a deal with DHL if the car was leaving from Germany. Sadly, you won't see any EDM VAG vehicles under 15 years of age on NA roads, unless they were imported by a 'manufacturer' like HPA, brought in through some legal loophole, or just plain illegal.

It's late at night. Your post is too technical for me to comprehend.
So here's a picture of an Rs2 registered in alberta. If it invalids any of your points, kewl. If it doesn't, carry on.
July 21, 2012 @ 05:41 AM
mrcoupe

More lenient? Maybe. Depends on the loopholes of the state. That's completely irrelevant though.
It doesn't "appear dumb." It is dumb. Nobody wants to buy a RHD car if they can get the exact same thing in LHD for the same price.
Is it swag points?

It is easier to import rhd to canada compared to "California".
You can not get the same "exact thing in LHD" they are completely different cars ie: engines, interior, exterior. please explain to me the diffrences btw a 240sx (lhd) & a Silvia(rhd)....Umm theirs a big difference Lol.
July 21, 2012 @ 06:32 AM
Redline

Is it swag points?

It is easier to import rhd to canada compared to "California".
You can not get the same "exact thing in LHD" they are completely different cars ie: engines, interior, exterior. please explain to me the diffrences btw a 240sx (lhd) & a Silvia(rhd)....Umm theirs a big difference Lol.

you brought up an invalid argument that does nothing to support your side.
Unless you're saying that converting lhd to rhd somehow changes "engines, interior, exterior"
For 1, no it's not the exact same thing, congrats on taking the literal. It's pretty fucking close.
2. Try using an example that doesn't just share a chassis
July 21, 2012 @ 07:43 AM
mrcoupe

ok i dont think you understand its "Not pretty fucking close" but it appears you already know.
July 21, 2012 @ 06:52 PM
99%Shit

LHD 240 and an RHD Silvia are essentially the same. It depends on the Silvia model, there are many. Which are you referring to? Which Silvia? Which 240? A LHD S-chassis with a 'new' SR20 dropped in it can perform better than a RHD S-chassis with the original motor. You have to remember that those cars are over 15 years old, so you'll be doing a lot of restoration regardless of drive side. No reason to convert though, zero. Price difference in Canada between RHD and LHD is minimal on the west coast, RHD is very popular over there because of the sheer number of importers. They are slowly becoming popular in Ontario too. R32s go for 7-8k ish.

narsha.narsha.narsha

July 21, 2012 @ 07:34 PM
mrcoupe

us 240 & jdm s13, s14s are diffrent. They come with diffrent motors, bumpers, interior, etc. yes they are the same chasis. In California our options are limited and rhds are harder to come by compared to Canada. you can buy a rhd clip with motor, wiring. I guess if we lived in your area it would be no question, but honestly I dont think it is that stupid, especially when you can get a rhd clip & build your car how you want it. You may think its a bad idea but Me & my friends will build our cars however we want regardless of what some people have to say, who just restates facts with no personal exp whatsoever. Im not hear to argue with you guys but clearly thats your own opinion & Im not goin to say your wrong, but I will say that most people on hear just restate facts so your opinion is irrelevant to the topic.
July 21, 2012 @ 08:54 PM
99%Shit

If they're different cars, converting to RHD does nothing to make them the same, that's some JDM weeaboo shit. Engine swaps make sense, aero swaps make sense. Shifting with your left hand doesn't. Do you, but it's a lot of work just for JDM points.

narsha.narsha.narsha

July 21, 2012 @ 09:02 PM
╒rozzy

"JDM weaboo shit"

lmaooo

July 22, 2012 @ 04:16 AM
BeastJr

tons of those faggot JDM kids riding around here with r32s thinking theyre the shit in florida when those cars are used as taxis overseas. razz
July 22, 2012 @ 05:22 AM
Redline

Price difference in Canada between RHD and LHD is minimal on the west coast, RHD is very popular over there because of the sheer number of importers.

Not completely. For say, FD/mkiv supra/s14 it's a pretty big difference.

us 240 & jdm s13, s14s are diffrent. They come with diffrent motors, bumpers, interior, etc. yes they are the same chasis.

You keep hanging on to this stupid argument and bringing up this point. Can you even name 10 parts on the S14 that are different? You could just NOT "get a rhd clip" and "build your car how you want it"
Pretty much any part on a JDM version you can swap over to a LHD chassis and not end up looking like this guy.

At this point, I'm not sure if you're trolling or if youre actually 16.

Please login first to reply.