June 18, 2012 @ 10:16 AM
HellRazor

So since the cars are made and tuned to be driven with the rear spoilers, I get the aerodynamics would change if you were to remove the spoiler but would it be necessary to make any other adjustments to the car after removing it? Not planning to track, and im referring to 05+ Evo's and STi's if that makes a difference.
June 18, 2012 @ 02:08 PM
Redline

June 18, 2012 @ 02:59 PM
4G LTE

nah u good

rollin' down the strip on vogues comin up slammin cadillac does

June 18, 2012 @ 03:18 PM
99%Shit

It won't destabilise the vehicle near as much as most suspension drops do. Unless you we tracking the car, you probably wouldn't notice a difference. Both cars are AWD too, so you'll have more than enough mechanical grip from the weight of the system alone. You might take an extra .5s to slow down from 100kmh, but beyond that, you're good. Aeros only really come into effect at certain speeds, and the places you will be hitting those speeds are not ideal for aeros anyway. On a highway you're drafting in dirty air, so the effect the aeros have on your grip is negligible. I don't think either wing is bolted to the chassis either, so the wings are mostly for aesthetic/cosmetic purposes anyway.

Iunno though, try an on/off-ramp with the spoiler, and then try it without. Hypothetically, you should be able to take it faster with a wing. However, I have a strange feeling that you won't notice more than a 2-3kmh difference and that speed through the turn is dependant on the AWD system or AYC of the Evo.

Add: a GT wing(chassis mounted), front splitter, taped grilles, rear diffuser, vortex generator, hood louvres, etc., then yeah, you'll notice an increase in grip at high speeds.

narsha.narsha.narsha

June 18, 2012 @ 08:06 PM
HellRazor

It won't destabilise the vehicle near as much as most suspension drops do. Unless you we tracking the car, you probably wouldn't notice a difference. Both cars are AWD too, so you'll have more than enough mechanical grip from the weight of the system alone. You might take an extra .5s to slow down from 100kmh, but beyond that, you're good. Aeros only really come into effect at certain speeds, and the places you will be hitting those speeds are not ideal for aeros anyway. On a highway you're drafting in dirty air, so the effect the aeros have on your grip is negligible. I don't think either wing is bolted to the chassis either, so the wings are mostly for aesthetic/cosmetic purposes anyway.

Iunno though, try an on/off-ramp with the spoiler, and then try it without. Hypothetically, you should be able to take it faster with a wing. However, I have a strange feeling that you won't notice more than a 2-3kmh difference and that speed through the turn is dependant on the AWD system or AYC of the Evo.

Add: a GT wing(chassis mounted), front splitter, taped grilles, rear diffuser, vortex generator, hood louvres, etc., then yeah, you'll notice an increase in grip at high speeds.

Ah I see so driving it as a daily wouldn't really create too much of a noticeable concern? I don't plan on tracking anyway
June 19, 2012 @ 04:27 AM
99%Shit

It'll still have more grip than any wingless 2WD car of the same size. I've seen wingless(rear) Evos that are running canards and splitters that track, so I'm guessing you'll be fine using it as a daily.

narsha.narsha.narsha

June 19, 2012 @ 04:38 AM
abrok99

unless your going like 140+mph your good. you barely utilize the wing until prob around 120mph.
June 19, 2012 @ 04:58 AM
Cybrax2

Removing spoilers from evo and sti's are like removing snapbacks from filipinos.

Do it
June 20, 2012 @ 04:00 AM
DG7

Remove the wing and you'll have holes on the trunk lid.
June 20, 2012 @ 04:23 AM
HellRazor

Remove the wing and you'll have holes on the trunk lid.

I know, that's not a concern, you can replace the trunk or fill the holes
June 20, 2012 @ 06:28 AM
araw at bituin

why buy an evo/sti if you're not gonna track it?

http://instagram.com/qyel

June 20, 2012 @ 07:13 AM
DG7

AWD, etc..
June 20, 2012 @ 03:07 PM
Redline

why do people buy fwd cars and mod them to the tits :?
June 20, 2012 @ 03:23 PM
araw at bituin

AWD, etc..

ah, for snow and whatnot?

cus they wanna track em?

http://instagram.com/qyel

June 20, 2012 @ 03:49 PM
99%Shit

Cheap. Light. Quick.

narsha.narsha.narsha

June 20, 2012 @ 05:34 PM
╒rozzy

June 20, 2012 @ 06:40 PM
HellRazor

Cheap. Light. Quick.

Lol Tsuchiya is a pro tho, I think he was referring to the young teens that mod the shit out of their Hondas just to drag down the street.
June 20, 2012 @ 06:42 PM
HellRazor

Anyone else got any input on my original question? Any personal experience regarding noticeable changes after you removed the spoiler?

Btw thanks for all the insight 99%! I appreciate it!
June 20, 2012 @ 09:55 PM
Redline

AWD, etc..

ah, for snow and whatnot?

cus they wanna track em?

I just see it as a waste of money on such a weak layout

OP you probably won't even notice a difference
June 20, 2012 @ 10:29 PM
99%Shit

Lol Tsuchiya is a pro tho, I think he was referring to the young teens that mod the shit out of their Hondas just to drag down the street.

My friend has the 2 door coupe si with a fairly stock B16, and it still makes a nice throaty sound and has a tonne of pick-up above 4kRPM with 4 people in the car. The Civic is peppy little car, and can be made quicker for OD cheap, that's why people buy them. The kids with GT wings and exhaust tips aren't in the same class as people that buy Civics for legitimate tuning, they're down there with Cavalier drivers.

FWD Hondas are far more prevalent than RWD/AWD cars. AWD in older DSM is a nightmare, so people stay away from them. Rotary is a bitch for most people to tinker with, so they stay away from them. The MX5 is an awesome car for the track, but they're a tad hairdressery for daily use, so people stay away from them. It's not hard to figure out why so many people tune FWD cars.

narsha.narsha.narsha

June 21, 2012 @ 12:18 AM
Redline

My friend has the 2 door coupe si with a fairly stock B16, and it still makes a nice throaty sound and has a tonne of pick-up above 4kRPM with 4 people in the car. The Civic is peppy little car, and can be made quicker for OD cheap, that's why people buy them. The kids with GT wings and exhaust tips aren't in the same class as people that buy Civics for legitimate tuning, they're down there with Cavalier drivers.

FWD Hondas are far more prevalent than RWD/AWD cars. AWD in older DSM is a nightmare, so people stay away from them. Rotary is a bitch for most people to tinker with, so they stay away from them. The MX5 is an awesome car for the track, but they're a tad hairdressery for daily use, so people stay away from them. It's not hard to figure out why so many people tune FWD cars.

You say they can be made "quicker" for cheap, but I've seen even a turbo b16 still only runs 14s
Why you named those 3 random cars from 3 different classes to qualify FWD cars, or grouped all "cavalier drivers" with the 15 year old ricers, I don't know.
June 21, 2012 @ 03:43 AM
mrfunnni

Removing the wing would mean 2 things, 1 your either going to trunk trade or 2 your going to have holes that need to be patched.

Civic Si's are great beginner cars for people learning how to drive circuits because they will have 90% of the fun without the drawback (maint. on a track car sucks not to mention things that break)

Sti's spoilers are only affective after 135+ MPH.
It makes fagboi's in hondas want to race you.

Civic Si = good daily/ beginner track car
Evo = track car you dont want to daily. trust me.
STI = daily driver you can track

Maintenance sucks even if you aren't tracking them hope you know what your getting into! this is all from experience.
Check out nasioc.com or an evo forum to gain more knowledge pre-purchase.

b16<Ej257

haha fag

June 21, 2012 @ 06:02 AM
╒rozzy

The only complaint with STi's is ridiculous insurance. I hit 50k miles in my 07 a couple weeks ago. Changed brake pads and diff fluids and it wasn't too bad.

Also the RE070's on 04-07's tend to wear pretty fast

June 21, 2012 @ 01:34 PM
99%Shit

I didn't name just 3 cars. DSM is any and Mits/Eagle/etc, named because they offer cheap AWD offerings, comparable to Honda. Rotary covers all rotary, affordable RWD offerings. MX5 because it's the best RWD offering for the price. Understand?

Drag racing? Yeah, I really don't care.

narsha.narsha.narsha

June 22, 2012 @ 05:03 PM
Redline

I didn't name just 3 cars. DSM is any and Mits/Eagle/etc, named because they offer cheap AWD offerings, comparable to Honda. Rotary covers all rotary, affordable RWD offerings. MX5 because it's the best RWD offering for the price. Understand?

Drag racing? Yeah, I really don't care.

Obviously you didn't name just 3 cars. It was just easier than saying 1 car and 2 groups.
Saying all rotaries all affordable is a stretch that I'm not gonna get into because now we're on a tangent.

You're right nobody cares about drag racing. Bad example.
My main point was that fwd is a shitty platform when there are always equivalent options in another layout.
June 22, 2012 @ 08:56 PM
modernmischief

Evos look good without the spoiler,STI's not so much. looking to get an 05 STI this fall anyone have any first hand experience with them?
June 22, 2012 @ 10:25 PM
99%Shit

Obviously you didn't name just 3 cars. It was just easier than saying 1 car and 2 groups.
Saying all rotaries all affordable is a stretch that I'm not gonna get into because now we're on a tangent.

My main point was that fwd is a shitty platform when there are always equivalent options in another layout.

I was talking about sub 8k FD/FCs mainly, at least as far as NA market goes.

FWD is a shitty platform outside of EF/EG/EK in my eyes. So many parts. Cheap to buy the car/chassis, cheap enough engines, cheap parts. Not what I'm planning on at all, but I can see why people get them.

Sorry for thread derailment.

narsha.narsha.narsha

Please login first to reply.