Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
January 8, 2012 @ 10:02 PM
TRILL Bill

Alright I have a 1993 Mitsubishi 3000gt, and my brother gave me his 12" Kenwood sub. It barely fits in the trunk, and it's pretty dangerous because the trunk cover doesn't conceal it properly, and it's pretty obvious what's back there. I wanna get something smaller, like maybe dual 6"s or an 8", but I don't wanna lose too much bass. I'm kinda new to this, so can anyone give me suggestions?

Oh yeah, the bottom of the trunk to the trunk cover measures out to 8", and the 12" enclosure I have right now measures out to be 14" tall.
January 9, 2012 @ 09:05 AM
araw at bituin

why dont you get a 10"?

http://instagram.com/qyel

March 24, 2012 @ 06:50 AM
zyezye

only 6 and 8 inch subs that are worth the money are either type - Rs from alpine or anything from JLs W3, W6, W7 series.

our installer has four 8 inch W7's in a ported enclosure in his escalade, it blows away a lot of the bigger builds i've seen in the shop.

really depends on how much you wanna drop but i can tell you any day two high end 8 inch subs can easily destroy a single set up, until it hits the 15s and competition level gear and to some extent, entry level to mid level dual set ups.

also enclosure are very important when dealing with any sub. specially subs below 10 inches. also the type of mono block amp you're juicing them with
March 24, 2012 @ 11:49 PM
TRILL Bill

So knowing that enclosures affect the performance, would I be better off buying an angled enclosure for the 12" I have or buying two enclosed 8" JLs? I just want something that fits nicely doesn't touch my rear window. I'm not working right now, so money's kinda tight.
March 25, 2012 @ 01:03 AM
zyezye

the general shape doesnt really matter, what really matters is the amount of airspace you have with in the sub box it self and if its ported/vented or sealed

general tip, lets forget about what sub to go for now, but if you have the right amount of airspace in an enclosure, what really matters is if its ported or not.

ported boxes tend to be boomy, loud and give more of a slow booming kick. but mostly loud

sealed boxes tend to be tight and quick and feel more like a fast punch to the chest. also not as loud as a ported system. so on the amp the subs gain has to be cranked a little higher.

for loudness dual 10s in a ported box sound almost the same as a dual 12s in a sealed box.

now with that in mind, if you wanna keep you're shit on the down low and still have a banging system id suggest two 8 inch subs in a ported box. or even dual shallow mounted 10s. but majority of them sound like shit, especially the sealed ones.

my suggestions for your vehicle considering the space you have sell the 12. tell me what type and I can give you an approx street price you should be able to sell it for.

here are a bunch of slim preloaded enclosures.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/sbr-s83v/

http://www.jlaudio.com/cp108lg-w3v3-car-audio-flatwedge-subwoofer-systems-93133

http://www.jlaudio.com/cp208lg-w3v3-car-audio-flatwedge-subwoofer-systems-93295

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Subwoofers/Shallow+Mount/TS-SWX310

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Subwoofers/Shallow+Mount/TS-SWX251

http://www.kicker.com/Hideaway

http://www.kicker.com/compvt_subboxes

ive personally demo'd each one of these enclosures except the dual jl set up, the kicker hide away, and the 8 inch and 12 inch compvt subboxes. all have their signature sounds but ones that surprised me the most are the jl audio w3 8 inch and the type Rs. they both have some serious kick for their size, and more so when in a vehicle with less open air and more of a contained air space to actually cause some pressure. only thing is don't expect them to rumble, they will how ever give you that quick punch to your chest feeling. just not that rumble that a bigger sub can give you
March 25, 2012 @ 04:59 PM
TRILL Bill

Damn I need that rumble though..I have a Kenwood KFC-W3011. My brother got it for $100 brand new, but he totaled his car and gave it to me, so the box is slightly damaged.
March 26, 2012 @ 02:28 AM
ACTiON FUNKENSTEiN

I'm a big fan of Image Dynamic subs. Get two of these puppies.
March 26, 2012 @ 11:01 PM
unknown force

i just picked up a 10" pioneer with an enclosure, both off of amazon was like $70 for both. sounds real good anything more would be overkill for me
March 27, 2012 @ 12:33 AM
zyezye

sticker price on that sub was 250-300 per sub, and when we were selling it out on clearance it was 120. sell the sub no lower than 100 and 150 with box

you said you only got 8" in height? how bout width? i might have a few dual 10 sealed enclosures that might fit. maybe even a 12.
March 27, 2012 @ 04:29 AM
TRILL Bill

I'm a big fan of Image Dynamic subs. Get two of these puppies.

i just picked up a 10" pioneer with an enclosure, both off of amazon was like $70 for both. sounds real good anything more would be overkill for me

Aye good looking. I'll look into both of these.

sticker price on that sub was 250-300 per sub, and when we were selling it out on clearance it was 120. sell the sub no lower than 100 and 150 with box

you said you only got 8" in height? how bout width? i might have a few dual 10 sealed enclosures that might fit. maybe even a 12.

Alright I'll post it up as soon as I find a replacement. Thanks for that,

In all actuality, the base of my trunk to my rear window ranges because of the slant, but in the middle it's about 14", but I can't measure the width because my interiors getting redone, so I don't have it right now.

My trunk looks like this. The bottom of the trunk to the cargo cover that extends out is 8" tall, and I also have the little slot area in the back of the trunk that I'm not too sure about the height, but my amp is mounted on the back of the passenger side of the backseat. The way my 12" is right now touches the rear window, and it bugs me because it's so obvious and sticks out, plus I can hear it vibrate when I turn it up loud. I just think it'd be nice to have something that I can cover up with the cargo cover or something that doesn't touch the window, but I don't wanna lose that rumble that comes from bigger subs.
March 27, 2012 @ 08:09 PM
zyezye

with the measurements you've given and by just eyeing your trunk space i recommend the CP210-W0v3 facing towards your seat

the measurements are: 17.4"(d) x 13.8"(h) x 30"(w)
March 29, 2012 @ 03:16 AM
TRILL Bill

with the measurements you've given and by just eyeing your trunk space i recommend the CP210-W0v3 facing towards your seat

the measurements are: 17.4"(d) x 13.8"(h) x 30"(w)

alright I'll check this out. thanks man
March 31, 2012 @ 07:48 AM
scfdefinit

Sundown SA-8. I don't know how much power you're supplying but this sub is pretty beast.

The box is just as important as the sub. If possible, you should make your own box or get one made. Every sub is different and you want to get the perfect amount of airspace within the box. Pre-fabricated boxes aren't going to be perfectly tuned to your specific sub and the build quality is hit or miss. The difference between a good custom box and a pre-fab is night and day.

I'm lucky because my brother's friend who goes to car audio competitions made me a custom box and plexiglass mounts for my tweeters. But, you might be able to find a place that'll do it for you or maybe you can hit up someone on diymobileaudio.com
April 10, 2012 @ 01:47 AM
TRILL Bill

I was thinking about getting a custom box made, but I'll probably end up taking that route anyway.
April 10, 2012 @ 06:37 PM
mrbarky

Sundown SA-8. I don't know how much power you're supplying but this sub is pretty beast.

The box is just as important as the sub. If possible, you should make your own box or get one made. Every sub is different and you want to get the perfect amount of airspace within the box. Pre-fabricated boxes aren't going to be perfectly tuned to your specific sub and the build quality is hit or miss. The difference between a good custom box and a pre-fab is night and day.

I'm lucky because my brother's friend who goes to car audio competitions made me a custom box and plexiglass mounts for my tweeters. But, you might be able to find a place that'll do it for you or maybe you can hit up someone on diymobileaudio.com

I second the sundown's. They make fantastic amps and subs.
April 19, 2012 @ 09:21 PM
Evolve

Sorry to thread jack, but im looking into puttin some thump in my car, my budget is about 1,000, and i already have an amplifier. I don't want to rattle, just enough to hear it outside the car clearly, so i was thinking a 10in Sub.

but the real question is, what brand do you guy's reccomend, especially one that comes with a pre fabricated box, that doesnt suck.
April 20, 2012 @ 12:01 AM
Max S v2

I need a sub box made for me...

Please login first to reply.