Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
October 17, 2011 @ 05:10 AM
Canvas08

Active Sound Design delivers precise feedback.

M5 drivers will be given an even more direct reminder of their car’s performance capability by technology that brings the distinctive sound of the high-performance V8 – in all its glory – into the cabin of the new BMW M5. The Active Sound Design technology specially developed for the new BMW M5 takes its cues from the driving situation at any one time to deliver an accurate reproduction of the engine’s sound through the car’s audio system. The system’s digital signal processing exchanges data directly with the engine management, allowing it to reflect the engine’s revs and torque, and the car’s speed over the road. The result over a smoothly driven journey is a discreet soundtrack in keeping with the harmonious and assured characteristics of the V8 powerplant. A stamp on the accelerator, meanwhile, prompts an immediate audible response to match the instantaneous – and typically M – burst of power from beneath the bonnet.

In generating its signals, Active Sound Design takes its cues from the firing sequence of the eight-cylinder engine and the frequency range of the exhaust system. This gives the driver an extremely accurate impression of current engine load and an even more intense sensation of the V8’s high-performance characteristics. At the same time the Active Sound Design control unit ensures an even spread of sound across all five seats of the new BMW M5, while observing the legal guidelines governing noise emissions inside and outside the car. The characteristics of the sound produced by the technology also adjust to the engine settings selected by the driver. For example, switching to “Sport” or “Sport+” mode sharpens not only the engine’s responsiveness but also the acoustic experience inside the car.

CLIFFNOTES: reproduction of the engine’s sound through the car’s audio system.

Dealers are saying it is not an option and it cannot be turned off. This isn't very surprising coming from Bavarian Marketing Works.
October 17, 2011 @ 11:34 PM
ClydeFrazier

read about this a few weeks back. bmw fell the fuck off.

Melo Gang All Day

October 18, 2011 @ 01:34 AM
SupraRZ

Idk about you guys but this actually seems pretty cool lol.
At least from how the article describes it.
I'm sure you would need to experience it in person to give an accurate opinion about it.

Disregard what the dealers say, it can be turned off.
Might be a little more work than it's worth but I can guarantee you it can be turned off.
October 18, 2011 @ 01:43 AM
Redline

sounds gay as fuck
wont be able to hear the true note, and gonna drown out my muziks?
October 18, 2011 @ 01:51 AM
kmz

fucking lame
October 18, 2011 @ 05:38 AM
Canvas08

<p>Idk about you guys but this actually seems pretty cool lol.<br>
At least from how the article describes it. <br>
I’m sure you would need to experience it in person to give an accurate opinion about it.</p>
<p>Disregard what the dealers say, it can be turned off.<br>
Might be a little more work than it’s worth but I can guarantee you it can be turned off.</p>

its about as cool as smoke machines in the wheel wells so you have the same visual effect of peeling out but less tire wear
October 18, 2011 @ 02:51 PM
Norrin Radd

<p>
</p><blockquote>
<div class="quote-info">
<div class="quote-from">Originally posted by
<div class="quote-name">SupraRZ</div>
</div>
</div>
<div class="quote-content">
<p>Idk about you guys but this actually seems pretty cool lol.</p>
<p>At least from how the article describes it. </p>
<p>I’m sure you would need to experience it in person to give an accurate opinion about it.</p>
<p></p>
<p>Disregard what the dealers say, it can be turned off.</p>
<p>Might be a little more work than it’s worth but I can guarantee you it can be turned off.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>
<p>its about as cool as smoke machines in the wheel wells so you have the same visual effect of peeling out but less tire wear</p>

lolwot

Lil JoJo : i really want rizal! 13:10

October 18, 2011 @ 06:12 PM
ClydeFrazier

it actually reminds me of rice rockets putting in fake blow off valves.

Melo Gang All Day

October 18, 2011 @ 09:33 PM
SupraRZ

If you don't like it then turn it off you stupid fucks.
Better yet, don't even buy one.

It's that simple. I don't see the problem.
October 18, 2011 @ 11:47 PM
ClydeFrazier

it's a fucking insult to a subdivision that is supposed to stand for "motorsports". it also shows why forced induction fucking sucks and it further proves that BMW is falling the fuck off. first the X6M and now this shit? and then they're putting a turbo 6 IN AN M3?

yes i'm mad.

Melo Gang All Day

October 19, 2011 @ 01:42 AM
SupraRZ

You need to step outside and get some fresh air. Taking the changes way too personally.
I understand what you're saying but at the end of the day it's just cars bruh.

but my last post still stands. If you don't like what comes with the new bimmers, then don't buy one.
I will agree though, the changes weren't something I'd expect from bmw.
October 19, 2011 @ 02:32 AM
Canvas08

since you think its cool you can find one of these for your own car because its the same thing
October 19, 2011 @ 03:04 AM
SupraRZ

cool bro, thanks.
got anymore videos?

btw, didn't mean to hurt your feelings bro. do you want me to apologize?
October 19, 2011 @ 04:09 AM
thephreak

what's the big fuss. It's not like they making a soundtrack from F1 engines or making a new different sound for the engine. Basically just making it so the passengers can hear it better. They are not muting the note or making it louder, just merely reproduction of what the engine sounds as it is being driven a la the speakers.

and "M" doesnt stand for NA performance, if they can make FI work and increase performance while satisfying the fuel efficiency guidelines that most manufacturers are pretty much following who cares.

I look how you wanna look, I fuck like you wanna fuck, I am smart, capable and most importantly, I am free in all the ways you are not.

October 19, 2011 @ 11:50 PM
Canvas08

I would prefer an NA engine, but how the car performs is most important to me. I was excited for this new M5 because I thought it would be dynamically closer to the e39 M5 than the e60 even with forced induction. Now I am much more skeptical of the car because early reviews of the car complain about turbo lag and bad steering feel.

I made this thread to complain about this stupid ass feature, not the whole car. If I purchased this car I would even rip out the whole sound system if it meant the only way to get rid of this..

(I'm also pretty sure the BMW fans would be faking fun of this feature instead of supporting it, if Ford decided to use it on a new Mustang, instead of it being on a BMW)

Please login first to reply.