Get an Extra 20% Off Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA20
September 24, 2011 @ 01:24 AM
modernmischief

I'm in the process of buying a car myself for the first time,but there's one problem. I'm stationed in Louisiana but the car I want is back home in VA,can I send my buddy at home the loan check,let him buy the car and register and insure it in my name without me being there,or would he have to register and insure it in his name,and do a title transfer down here in L.A,if that's even legal,he's going to drive the car down since we plan on kicking it in Dallas for his upcoming birthday,so that's not an issue.
September 24, 2011 @ 01:46 AM
Cybrax2

Private Dealer: Your friend could pay up and grab the title and keys. You personally fill out the transfer form and turn it into the DMV in the same state the car is registered in. Get your friend to mail the paper to you, fill it out, then mail whatever needed to the dmv.

You could transfer the car from VA to LA but it'll take some more paper and time, I'm not fully sure how it works.

If its from a dealership I dont see why you cant just wait till you get there.
September 24, 2011 @ 04:25 PM
modernmischief

I'm buying it from a private party but they want cash is there a way to cash an auto loan check?
September 24, 2011 @ 05:12 PM
Cybrax2

I'm buying it from a private party but they want cash is there a way to cash an auto loan check?

yeah, Buyers always want Cash 99% of the time. If that check is like any regular check, just cash it at the bank or something.
September 25, 2011 @ 02:23 PM
modernmischief

I would just have to write the check out to myself right?
September 25, 2011 @ 04:14 PM
Ferris.Bueller

By loan check what do you mean? Did you pull out an auto loan from your bank or personal loan? Ive done (auto loan) this in the past with my credit union since it was a private party purchase and had no problems with the buyer since its like a Cashiers Check/same as cash. Depending on your banking institution, they might want you to hand over the pink as collateral until you pay off said loan. If its just a personal loan ie you can use the funds anywhere, just have your friend meet with the seller at their bank to make them feel comfortable, cash the check so that they see the funds did go through and finish the paper work there on the spot to tie any loose ends with the purchase
September 25, 2011 @ 11:26 PM
modernmischief

It's through my bank,the guy said he wanted cash or a cashiers check,so I'm guessing a check from my bank would be similar to a cashiers check? I think I'm going to buy a car in Dallas now,what happens when I go to buy the car,does the guy just take my check deposit it in his account,sign the title over and I just drive away?
September 26, 2011 @ 02:06 AM
Cybrax2

Correct. Make sure Vin #/License matches the car and all paper is legit. Dont get swindled. You want to get his address or phone number just incase any legal or paper issue comes up.

Please login first to reply.