Labor Day - Enjoy 25% Off Your Order. Use code: LABORDAY25
February 28, 2011 @ 04:28 PM
Norrin Radd

don't they use rotary motors in the Le Mans cars?

Lil JoJo : i really want rizal! 13:10

February 28, 2011 @ 06:22 PM
ahhhrt

No. FIA banned them in 1991, and Rolex did so as well in 2003. If ALMS still allows them, I'd assume they're severely limited.
February 28, 2011 @ 09:41 PM
MaliciousInten

How about we compare apples to apples then? Find me a "torqueless" 20B or 26B dyno chart.

What I think most people fail to realize is just how much more money has gone into R&D of a piston engine over a rotary.

LOL you serious? How many R26B's did Mazda produce I'm guess over all production from 767 and 787 is well under 100 in total. Good fucking luck buying an factory R26B, even if you could source one I'm guess it would cost atleast 50k and replacement parts would be impossible to find. Lets be somewhat fucking realistic.

"What I think most people fail to realize is just how much more money has gone into R&D of a piston engine over a rotary".

No shit specifically I'm talking about LSx series motors and there basically unchanged since the first gen SBC. For fuck sake they use god damn single cam 2v per cylinder configuration. It's pretty clear why major manufactures choice reciprocating engines its obviously far more efficient every area. The only benefit wankels have is they do deal with internal stresses of the violent acceleration from forward and backward motion from pistons and rods. The biggest advances in technology is the machining process. R&D isn't as big of a factor on the actual design of the motor as much as bolt on components such as direct injection, VTG turbochargers, and more sophisticated electronic packages.
March 1, 2011 @ 03:15 AM
wolfstrice09

you dont buy a 20b or 26b you just make it...
March 1, 2011 @ 03:22 PM
MaliciousInten

you dont buy a 20b or 26b you just make it...

This adds a completely new set of problems into the mix. You now lose any weight benefits over a typical aluminium V8 engine,not to mention increased chance of engine failure, and increased thermal load on the cooling system that shown to be incapable for efficiently cooling a stock 13b.

Why don't you stop and ask your selfs why independent performance manufactures choice reciprocating motors? Many of these manufactures like Mosler and Radical are not specced to race in sanctioned series.
March 1, 2011 @ 03:22 PM
MaliciousInten

damn son. why all the arguing?

Nobody here is arguing just having a debate that is all.
March 1, 2011 @ 03:25 PM
ahhhrt

Because it's cheaper to make power w/pistons. I don't recall anyone here saying the rotary was the superior powerplant.

SUPER SERIOUS BUSINESS. Malicious & I are actually no longer on speaking terms, and everytime we see each other outside, one of us crosses the road.
March 1, 2011 @ 03:34 PM
wolfstrice09

I did Ahhhrt... But only in terms of my RX-7 vs. Other V8s I have raced... not in general. I understand you can do more to a V8 to push it to its max in terms of power but when you try to get more out of your rotary you better make sure you know what you doing cause if you dont your gonna fuck it up... Buddy of mine did this. Went to a single turbo but didn't make any of the proper changes to account for that change in power and induction into the motor... I told him to get bigger injectors and he would need a larger intercooler to keep it cool cause it was gonna get HOTT!... He didnt listen and boom goes the dynamite! Rotaries are very touchy thats why its easier to mod and get more power out of a V8 cause you can slap TT on there and not change another thing and you wouldn't blow it up... Also the way its position in the engine compartment makes it easier...

To go back to the original point though... I'm keeping the rotary haha cool I like taking care of it and its kind of special when you have a rotary cause thats what the car was made for... I think when you replace it with a V8 you have taken the cars heart out and I like thinking of my car as a person... you would never rip someones heart out would ya?!

Please login first to reply.