Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
October 19, 2010 @ 08:12 PM
buffaloclone

i got a 1999 VW golf 2L for a steal last Friday. now i need recommendations on what to build on it specifically after the obvious (intake, exhaust.)im thinking lightweight pullys and a new camshaft. i dont plan on rebuilding the engine or doing anything too dramatic, my only goal is to make if faster than my friends 04 scion tC.

oh and i donot have the funds for a turbosad

http://traptraptrappin.tumblr.com/ i follow back

October 19, 2010 @ 09:20 PM
Cybrax2

I have a 1999.5 GOLF 2.slow also.

Dont mod it for performance. Its not gonna be faster then your friends scion tc unless you dish out a couple thousand. You can't reach 160hp without turbo or sc.

With that money, you can upgrade to a gti vr6 or 1.8t. Chip it, then it will be faster than your friends tc for sure.

As for now just appreciate how much gas/money it saves and that it hauls. You wanna upgrade it for looks atm, not performance.

A cheapest and bestest mod you can do: Dogbone bushing ($30 from BFI), makes it shift smoother and more hp to the wheel.

lower it.
October 19, 2010 @ 10:33 PM
splean07

^ what he said

its not worth it to be spending money for good enough engine mods for that car.. imo
October 19, 2010 @ 11:35 PM
ClydeFrazier

If you got it for a steal, get it detailed, sell it, and get a mkiii or mkiv vr6

Melo Gang All Day

October 20, 2010 @ 12:02 AM
buffaloclone

im 17, insurance is a bitch as it is. i cant get a gti, im way more likley to save up for a turbo and drop it in this car

www.turbochargerpros.com/parts/40-30003_R.html

why is this so cheap

http://traptraptrappin.tumblr.com/ i follow back

October 20, 2010 @ 11:31 PM
Cybrax2

im 17, insurance is a bitch as it is. i cant get a gti, im way more likley to save up for a turbo and drop it in this car

www.turbochargerpros.com/parts/40-30003_R.html

why is this so cheap

because it aint quality.

When you turbo a car, you've kicked reliability out of the door.
2.0l was designed to be bulletproof fool.

Get a jetta vr6 or 1.8t if you cant afford insurance for gti.
Expect to refill your gas every week. (40 dollars for me)
October 20, 2010 @ 11:39 PM
Cybrax2

forgot to add, even if you do mod your 8v 2.0, you still have shitty gear ratios.

Seriously just buy a jetta or gti or dont mod your car for performance.
November 20, 2010 @ 12:43 AM
illestvillains

because it aint quality.

When you turbo a car, you've kicked reliability out of the door.
2.0l was designed to be bulletproof fool.

Get a jetta vr6 or 1.8t if you cant afford insurance for gti.
Expect to refill your gas every week. (40 dollars for me)

What? How isn't that quality? It's a remanufactured BW turbocharger. There is nothing wrong with that snail. $635+ really isn't that "cheap" though. There are better options for the budget build route.

When you throw a hack-job turbo setup together you throw reliability out the window. With a smart setup, good tune, proper monitoring (as easy as a quality wideband... better yet add in a decent knock metering setup) you're set.

However, don't waste your money. You don't have the funds to turbocharge your car, you definitely don't have the money to do it properly, let alone maintain it. In the end you're still running an open-diff'd transaxle with garbage gearing.

Lower it, throw some wheels on it, and keep it maintained. You're young. Save your money, drive it for what it is and when she breaks - fix it. This is the best way to learn, stack some cash in the bank and once it's a bit more viable you can buy something worth sinking money into and making some power.
November 20, 2010 @ 04:06 PM
chief

is it called 2.slow for a reason other than them being....slow?

•••

November 21, 2010 @ 02:57 AM
skrillex

just buy coilovers and wheels. buy a honda if you want to go fast, unless you get a great job and have the cash to turbo an R32. other than that, it isnt worth trying to make any VW fast. its like trying to make a pig fly. plus, id rather drag my subframe on the floor on flat roads than go fast. ive been getting less tickets that way. cool
December 12, 2010 @ 10:32 PM
MaliciousInten

i got a 1999 VW golf 2L for a steal last Friday. now i need recommendations on what to build on it specifically after the obvious (intake, exhaust.)im thinking lightweight pullys and a new camshaft. i dont plan on rebuilding the engine or doing anything too dramatic, my only goal is to make if faster than my friends 04 scion tC.

oh and i donot have the funds for a turbosad

Pretty much a lost cause. Intake and Exhaust only free up horsepower and when your car is making such little HP to begin with you will only receive hardly noticeable gains if any. Best bet is just starting with internals but with the money it would actually be cheaper selling the car and starting with a more performance focused car.
December 13, 2010 @ 02:02 PM
Svthewha

Low and slow is way cooler. Focus on keeping the car running good/looking clean....then get some quality coilovers and go from there.

I have had SO many mk3's and 2.0 is the way to go IMO....

space up that tranny mount, get your frame notched, and scrape away cool
December 13, 2010 @ 04:40 PM
TheCityOfChi

Low and slow is way cooler. Focus on keeping the car running good/looking clean....then get some quality coilovers and go from there.

I have had SO many mk3's and 2.0 is the way to go IMO....

space up that tranny mount, get your frame notched, and scrape away cool

This is the only person that knows what they are saying. With the 2.0 its not worth putting money into it engine wise. Drop it on some coilovers and get a nice set of wheels and call it a day. Save up the rest when you have a decent base to mod.
December 13, 2010 @ 04:56 PM
ahhhrt

Low&Slow is the only way to go with a golf IMO.
December 13, 2010 @ 10:27 PM
itZj0k3R

LOL just to beat a Scion TC? Dude don't bother wasting your $$ on that just to make it faster then a TC. In the end you'll be disappointed because it's still gonna be slow as shit.

Just sell it and get a Jetta 1.8T if you want to stay VW and can't afford a GTI.

I bet a stock Jetta 1.8T could whoop a TC, if not just get it chipped and you'll be walking his ass like nothing.

Please login first to reply.