May 22, 2010 @ 04:07 PM
STI Guy

shit has me torn apart. you need to know first that a big paycheck is not what im looking for. ok so i graduate in a month from automotive school. i can start going out and look for jobs. im shooting for nissan because i like what they're about. OR i can sign up for bmw's training program. a 25000 dollar program all paid by bmw. it will be another 6 months of schooling and im sick of school.

most of you would think im crazy because this seems like an easy decision but here is why it's giving me trouble. nissan, an asian brand, makes their cars very easy to work on compared to euro brands. nissan's sports cars are more popular with the aftermarket industry so upgrades are endless. bmw, a german brand, makes their cars a bit harder to work with. germans are known to over engineer their parts. a simple part found in an asian car may be found in a bmw but requires some crazy high tech mechanism. im sorta exaggerating but you get the idea. bmw's cars are less accessible to the aftermarket industry compared to nissan and pricier. if i make it through this program i am almost guaranteed a job. i have planned to go with the nissan path for months already and now i am bestowed with this awesome opportunity so i really dont know what to do.

so..
nissan pros: easier to work on, big aftermarket, i can look for a job in a month, i can get a 370z cheap : ), my experience with nissan can prepare me for a career in the aftermarket industry
nissan cons: less prestigious, i may work with a lower class clientele that will complain about high maintenance and repair costs, i may not even be able to get a job with them if they are not hiring.

bmw pros: bigger paycheck, i will feel prouder, the majority of the clientele will definitely not care about how much it costs to fix it "just make it work again sir!!", small repairs will have premium costs meaning more money for me, ima get a M3 with red interior!!!!, 25000 training program all paid off, a job is guaranteed after training.

bmw cons: 6 more months of school and if i fuck up i would waste a few months of my life. the program has strict ass rules. you cant miss more than a day of class, you cant be late (the center is a 45 minute drive from home), clean driving record, etc. their cars are harder to work on which is intimidating since im still a noob, working with bmw will mean working with a ton more of electrical problems and i still suck with electrical work.
May 22, 2010 @ 04:46 PM
ahhhrt

Depends what your end goal is.

Also, this probably isn't the best place to ask. HB is full of kids under the age of 18.
May 22, 2010 @ 05:10 PM
ClydeFrazier

i would go bmw, not only for the bigger paycheck but also because the additional knowledge will also possibly get you work at european automotive shops and other specialized places if things don't work out at BMW. if things don't work out at nissan, you're just another mechanic.

edit: after thoroughly reading your post, it seems like nissan would be the easy way out and if you didn't at least try the BMW program, you'd spend a lot of time thinking "what if?"

Melo Gang All Day

May 22, 2010 @ 05:23 PM
lucca

i think you should go with bmw
its hard living your life with regrets, and like someone else said imagine going to nissan and doing this for the rest of your life and not being unhappy but just thinking maybe the other route would of been much more fun and better for me
at least try it out and if it doesnt go well or you dont like it you can go back to nissan

http://luccaxverrelli.tumblr.com

May 22, 2010 @ 05:31 PM
Norrin Radd

i would go bmw, not only for the bigger paycheck but also because the additional knowledge will also possibly get you work at european automotive shops and other specialized places if things don't work out at BMW. if things don't work out at nissan, you're just another mechanic.

edit: after thoroughly reading your post, it seems like nissan would be the easy way out and if you didn't at least try the BMW program, you'd spend a lot of time thinking "what if?"

100% agree with this right here

Lil JoJo : i really want rizal! 13:10

May 22, 2010 @ 05:41 PM
STI Guy

yeah. the whole "what if" factor is on thing that's making this a hard decision. my end route is hopefully somewhere in the aftermarket high performance industry. nissan's cars have way more aftermarket support, but bmw's are awesome the way they are.
May 22, 2010 @ 05:44 PM
STI Guy

Depends what your end goal is.

Also, this probably isn't the best place to ask. HB is full of kids under the age of 18.

yeah but something about the car forum filters out most of the nonsense. i see real responses here more often.
May 22, 2010 @ 06:51 PM
ahhhrt

That's true. In all honesty, I'd go with BMW. It's not like you can't turn around and work at a Nissan dealership afterwards if you're sick of BMW's.
May 22, 2010 @ 07:22 PM
ClydeFrazier

yeah. the whole "what if" factor is on thing that's making this a hard decision. my end route is hopefully somewhere in the aftermarket high performance industry. nissan's cars have way more aftermarket support, but bmw's are awesome the way they are.

yeah but BMW's are more complex and you need more knowledge to work on them. plus have you seen the BMW aftermarket? those guys spend TONS of money on those cars.

Melo Gang All Day

May 22, 2010 @ 09:55 PM
Redline

All of the above is true. I <3 Nissan, but the experience you'll get from BMW will be a huuuuge asset in the future, if you stick around as a mechanic. just follow your heart!
May 22, 2010 @ 10:00 PM
STI Guy

but my heart is torn right now sad. i still have a few weeks to think about it. i'll see what happens.
May 22, 2010 @ 10:01 PM
ClydeFrazier

i dont even know what there is to consider, do bmw, get the training, if you don't like it, you'll have that experience and knowledge under your belt to do other things, it's that simple.

the z's and g's don't even compare to the silvia's and other great cars of nissans past anyways

btw have you even researched BMW's aftermarket industry? it's huge, not to mention they have one of the biggest car clubs in america.

Melo Gang All Day

May 23, 2010 @ 03:59 AM
STI Guy

i dont even know what there is to consider, do bmw, get the training, if you don't like it, you'll have that experience and knowledge under your belt to do other things, it's that simple.

the z's and g's don't even compare to the silvia's and other great cars of nissans past anyways

btw have you even researched BMW's aftermarket industry? it's huge, not to mention they have one of the biggest car clubs in america.

i didnt do too much research on their aftermarket but i mostly see rims, bodykits, suspension done to bmws. ive never researched on their power upgrades.
May 23, 2010 @ 04:13 AM
STI Guy

ok so yeah bmw does have some support from the aftermarket. i'll worry about that later though. i guess i'll go train if they accept me. argh.. gotta make some last minute changes to all my plans.
May 23, 2010 @ 06:24 AM
N1njai

BMW, just because you'll meet others and maybe be able to move up after. And BMW has i believe a very good amount of aftermarket support.
May 23, 2010 @ 06:59 PM
midwestfever

You aren't in his position so you have no right to flat out say this.

ah but he does, if he's stressing over what decision to make, just make one, if it isn't right, try the other, it's really that simple

my highschool friend went into the bmw program, same one youre talking about, he's 22 just bought a house in atlanta, pretty nice, he said the schooling was very difficult but he now knows a shitload, aside from his 'regular' job he can do side jobs in his garage for fun and help out friends

you sound like you don't know much about cars tbh, if you can state that it takes 'ridiculous mechanisms' to replace most bmw parts, it really isn't like that, it's mostly a myth, and bmw aftermarket is the same as nissans, but say my engine doesn't have simple bolt on upgrades for reasonable pricing, most bmw come from the factory pretty tuned and 'balanced', so there's not a lot of things you can do

whereas nissan, in my opinion, would have a lot of things for quick yet minimal hp, but affordable, intake, exhaust, software, and internal modification, my v8 came from the factory pushing out pretty much as much as it can aside from an entire engine rebuild (15k) or a supecharger. ive done intake, software, bought headers, and bought exhaust, but likely won't see much at all if any power gains from it

for bmw aftermarket check out euro-dyne.com khoalty.com ddmtuning.com jlevisw.com modbargains.com

mostly suspension, wheels, intake, exhaust, and nit picky shit like corner lights and turn signals

the older models have much better aftermarket though, and it's very common for non-m cars to get the full m package (bumpers and sideskirts, poss mirrors), as well as coilovers and wheels (m wheels, m rep wheels, or aftermarket)

FORUM SIGNATURE

May 23, 2010 @ 07:06 PM
STI Guy

yeah you're right. never knew anything about cars until 9 months ago when i started attend tech school. especially euro cars. still a noob as i already stated. i guess i have to see how bmws work with my own eyes. i heard about how difficult euro cars are from one of my instructors and i guess everyone has their own opinion.
May 23, 2010 @ 07:34 PM
naRipsta

Since you don't care about the paycheck size, simple and plain, stay with Nissan.

Going with BMW would enhance your arsenal. You'd be fed more knowledge into what they're about. At the end of the day, the bigger paycheck may end up in more stress. It's all on you. If you're up to critical thinking and being positive thoughts to their engineering. If not, just take the easy route with Nissan.
May 23, 2010 @ 08:01 PM
STI Guy

thanks for the great input. to be honest i would rather work with bmws. going through the sick car pics thread got me drooling. ima go to the bmw presentation tomorrow and see how it goes.
May 23, 2010 @ 08:33 PM
ClydeFrazier

good lookin out suhpreem, was waiting for a bmw guy to come in here and say whatsup

Melo Gang All Day

May 23, 2010 @ 09:08 PM
Redline

nvm
May 24, 2010 @ 03:45 PM
skivic35

i would think this would be a no brainer. with the certification on fixing bmw it makes it easier for u to go to shops that just specialize in them later on. u will make more money doing this.
May 24, 2010 @ 04:20 PM
naRipsta

thanks for the great input. to be honest i would rather work with bmws. going through the sick car pics thread got me drooling. ima go to the bmw presentation tomorrow and see how it goes.

Sounds great. Go into it with your chin up high man. Stay motivated. smile
May 24, 2010 @ 09:27 PM
shottalrg

i'll only respond by saying this to the threadstarter... dude im sick of uti too lmao
May 24, 2010 @ 09:31 PM
shottalrg

and also if u suck with electrical, newer cars are going to be a pita no matter what manufacturer. its all electrical and diagnostics these days. the mechanical aspect is there but not as much as the diag and electrical work imo. the education u could receive at bmw is pretty top notch though
May 25, 2010 @ 01:12 AM
STI Guy

i actually attend wyotech. so i went to the presentation today and the guy was pretty cool. as i predicted, they are fucking strict. only one or two lates to class during the 6 month program could get you some shit... after the presentation i am even more nervous about this but fuck it i need to do this shit. i will definitely regret it for the rest of my life if i dont do it.
May 25, 2010 @ 01:20 AM
ClydeFrazier

Best of luck to you sti, I think most will agree with me when I say you made a wise decision.

Melo Gang All Day

May 25, 2010 @ 01:48 PM
g2289

i actually attend wyotech. so i went to the presentation today and the guy was pretty cool. as i predicted, they are fucking strict. only one or two lates to class during the 6 month program could get you some shit... after the presentation i am even more nervous about this but fuck it i need to do this shit. i will definitely regret it for the rest of my life if i dont do it.

lol that's lite, i've been in college for like 3 years and never missed a mandatory class, I think you can deal with it for 6 measly months.
May 25, 2010 @ 07:53 PM
xxTKOxx

Do the BMW school, increase your knowledge and skillset. Job market is crap now, even if you get a job with Nissan there's no guarantee its a secured job. Hopefully, when you finish BMW school the job market will be greatly improved. Good luck with whatever you do decide.
June 5, 2010 @ 12:12 PM
FRESHPRINCE707

BMW's have tons of reliability issues so that equals more work for you. Plus rich people dont care about how much it costs to fix their car and will always go to the dealer instead of doing the work themselves.

Please login first to reply.