Get an Extra 20% Off Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA20
December 7, 2010 @ 05:49 PM
thephreak

whatever people say bout the designs, anyone with at least a little knowledge bout cars can still point out a BMW. especially now since most BMW designs are homogenized.

I look how you wanna look, I fuck like you wanna fuck, I am smart, capable and most importantly, I am free in all the ways you are not.

December 7, 2010 @ 08:49 PM
trantings

How much money does everyone spend on maintaining a BMW?
December 7, 2010 @ 11:25 PM
thephreak

$0 for me so far, but ive only had my beams for bout 5 months. got the extended warranty so i should be fine till the shit starts breaking.

On a side note, if the F32 M3 looks anything similar to this rendering, count me in.

I look how you wanna look, I fuck like you wanna fuck, I am smart, capable and most importantly, I am free in all the ways you are not.

December 8, 2010 @ 02:37 AM
BLVCKONE

e90 m3's are dope.
December 10, 2010 @ 09:58 AM
SouLjAh

beautiful
December 12, 2010 @ 06:30 PM
MaliciousInten

BMW never fell off.
December 22, 2010 @ 02:16 PM
bigjoush

reminds me of Fisker
January 26, 2011 @ 03:04 PM
IM ANDY COOL

Mfest &)
January 26, 2011 @ 05:01 PM
arizonaicedtea

E46 will always be my fav
January 26, 2011 @ 07:54 PM
The Main Event

what do you call this bland mal-proportioned heavy looking shit?

Agreed, pretty much everything since the E39 and E46 has been disappointing
January 26, 2011 @ 09:47 PM
pusreme

M3 is beast cool
January 27, 2011 @ 11:49 AM
chadd

BMW moves some units for a few years, "enthusiasts" call it whack. typical.
January 27, 2011 @ 01:09 PM
ClydeFrazier

$0 for me so far, but ive only had my beams for bout 5 months. got the extended warranty so i should be fine till the shit starts breaking.

On a side note, if the F32 M3 looks anything similar to this rendering, count me in.

not half bad, hopefully they keep it NA but it's unlikely sad

Melo Gang All Day

January 27, 2011 @ 09:46 PM
thephreak

most likely gonna be twins, which im honestly perfectly fine with if the performance is there. Never really driven any other M's, so im not part of the "NA or gtfo" camp. Although 8300 rpm makes me smile every time.

February 1, 2011 @ 05:02 PM
youngtrane

thats a beauty
February 2, 2011 @ 12:18 AM
ryfly

The design and shape does remind me of that infiniti.
February 2, 2011 @ 02:22 PM
MaliciousInten

what do you call this bland mal-proportioned heavy looking shit?

Aesthetically it may not be pleasing but whats under the hood is what matters most to me. Then again I'm really not interested in BMW's non M models. Lately I've been question the direction BMW Motorsports is take especially w/ the turbocharged M cars. I think it takes away from the classic BMW heritage.
February 2, 2011 @ 05:43 PM
OmegaSvpreme

not a bmw fan.. but goddamn
February 2, 2011 @ 09:31 PM
samed.husic

That red BMW looks beast!
February 3, 2011 @ 12:16 AM
thephreak

Aesthetically it may not be pleasing but whats under the hood is what matters most to me. Then again I'm really not interested in BMW's non M models. Lately I've been question the direction BMW Motorsports is take especially w/ the turbocharged M cars. I think it takes away from the classic BMW heritage.

dont see how much more bmw can go with the NA route. Every generation of m3 has been a giant leap forwards in terms of performance, and i dont see how BMW can get much more out of a NA without another significant price increase. Turbos would cut weight, fuel economy, and boost overall performance from the e92 while maintaining the price range.

February 3, 2011 @ 09:36 AM
MaliciousInten

dont see how much more bmw can go with the NA route. Every generation of m3 has been a giant leap forwards in terms of performance, and i dont see how BMW can get much more out of a NA without another significant price increase. Turbos would cut weight, fuel economy, and boost overall performance from the e92 while maintaining the price range.

I completely disagree, a turbo system would significantly add weight to the chassis. You have to take into account the exhaust turbine is made up of a high content nickel iron alloy. Turbochargers seem excellent in theory but in real world performance they have many draw backs in real world performance. Turbo lag is a huge draw back which in turn throttle response suffers greatly, which is why current Ferrari's with drawl from using this technology. The current E9x M3 is making 105hp/l which in today's standard isn't to impressive. BMW has the knowledge and the resources to improve on it's v8 platform, before going to forced induction. In worst case scenario increase displacement on the current v8. In turn it wouldn't add a significant amount of weight while adding power though out the entire power band unlink going the forced induction method. Fuel economy will never be a strong selling point for a BMW Motorsport vehicle so BMW will never be overly concerned in that department.
February 3, 2011 @ 11:05 AM
ahhhrt

Dropping displacement and going FI wouldn't add weight. There's a reason every car company in the world is going FI with smaller engines to achieve the same amount of power. Every decision in the world is determined by efficiency.

Turbo lag isn't an issue, especially when exotics have their peak power so high in their rpm range as it is. Most of the time a slightly smaller engine with a well designed system will net not only more power, but a broader and flatter torque curve than that of an n/a relative that is slightly larger.
February 3, 2011 @ 12:21 PM
thephreak

BMW will probably develop one hell of a twin turbo six if they do it, which will probably force its competitors to go the FI route as well... How else will the RS5, CTS-V, or even Ford (i know) keep up. The question is how the cooling system will be for the turbines

February 3, 2011 @ 02:39 PM
MaliciousInten

Dropping displacement and going FI wouldn't add weight. There's a reason every car company in the world is going FI with smaller engines to achieve the same amount of power. Every decision in the world is determined by efficiency.

Turbo lag isn't an issue, especially when exotics have their peak power so high in their rpm range as it is. Most of the time a slightly smaller engine with a well designed system will net not only more power, but a broader and flatter torque curve than that of an n/a relative that is slightly larger.

Only way to maintain the same weight would be completely re engineering the entire architecture of the block. Simply changing bore and stroke would not net much weight less, maybe a ounces. While a single mid size turbocharger it self weights an excess of 20 lbs by it self not including plumbing and an intercooler. You also have to take into account these systems add weight also in the worst area of the vehicle, past the front of the front wheels. This is were most FR cars need to be lightest at. "Most of the time a slightly smaller engine with a well designed system will net not only more power, but a broader and flatter torque curve than that of an n/a relative that is slightly larger." This is obvious, it is not fair to compare a forced induction engine to an engine that is slightly "larger". Today's OEM FI systems are easily boosting over two and a half times atmospheric pressure. Let's look at the Corvette z06 it still gets fairly good MPG for a true track focused performance car, 15 city and 24 highway. In the end I just do not think it would a wise decision for BMW Motorsports to venture into F/I for there street cars. Just take a look at all the problems current x35i owners are facing.
February 3, 2011 @ 02:51 PM
MaliciousInten

BMW will probably develop one hell of a twin turbo six if they do it, which will probably force its competitors to go the FI route as well... How else will the RS5, CTS-V, or even Ford (i know) keep up. The question is how the cooling system will be for the turbines

Well since BMW uses an inline six cylinder why twin turbo? Maybe sequential twins but not true twin turbo. What do you mean how will the cool the turbines? The turbine itself isn't cooled, it's actually beneficial to maintain EGT heat because hot exhaust contains more energy. Remember hot gas expands quicker and maintains pressure. The CHRA will be oil cooled, and hopefully water cooled as well. FYI all those cars you listed are forced induction except RS5.
February 4, 2011 @ 04:39 AM
thephreak

not cool the turbo itself, but the compressed air. for turbines to force all that air in the engine, it has to spin itself at thousands of rpms. most of this compression generates heat in addition to the turbo being hooked up to the exhaust system for the flow, so cooling the system is what i mean. i think they call if the intercooler. and too much heat means loss of potential energy for combustion. the air should be significantly cooler before combustion. it's already hard enough too cool the engine itself after combustion, if you add a turbo with compressed hot air before without proper cooling, it will damage the engine.

btw, i actually read up on this, im not an expert or anything.

and BMW already uses twin turbos on the 335is and i believe the M5 and M6 will come with twin turbo v8's. not a stretch for M to develop one for the M3.

My bad on the caddy and ford reference. the point is though, BMW will set the benchmark again if they do go turbo and i do not see how those three companies can keep up w/o going FI. i think the M3 has the least amount of horsepower and torque out of the three as of now, four if you include the C63. put a lighter, more powerful and more efficient six in there, along with the handling, its going to be interesting to see how AMG, Audi, and the US companies respond.

February 4, 2011 @ 01:28 PM
ahhhrt

Charge air is cooled through the intercooler, size is dictated by the amount of boost the car runs. BMW needn't set the benchmark for anything. They're still regarded as one of the best car makers in the world.

I just don't see n/a being around much longer TBH. As I said, there's a reason everyone is going F/I. Efficiency. They also need to cover their asses for the stupid owners that neglect maintenance.
February 5, 2011 @ 05:06 PM
MaliciousInten

Charge air is cooled through the intercooler, size is dictated by the amount of boost the car runs. BMW needn't set the benchmark for anything. They're still regarded as one of the best car makers in the world.

I just don't see n/a being around much longer TBH. As I said, there's a reason everyone is going F/I. Efficiency. They also need to cover their asses for the stupid owners that neglect maintenance.

Forced induction isn't efficient, when your pumping twice as much air in the engine you need an appropriate amount of fuel for stoichiometric combustion. Automotive manufactures need to maximize efficiency without having to resort to power adders in turn reducing over all consumption in hydrocarbons. When you say everybody is switching to F/I who is everybody? Because 90 precent of the car sold today are still naturally aspirated. When you're talking about efficiency I assume you're talking power output/unit of fuel, correct? Because in this situation HP/L is completely irreverent.
February 14, 2011 @ 02:23 PM
noobedloser

for some reason, im not feeling the new looks on the BMW

Please login first to reply.