Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
March 4, 2010 @ 07:51 PM
daemcee

anyone here owns a rx7? im planning on getting a car soon and rx7 FD3S is one the options.
its a great car, but i am just worried about the reliability of the engine cuz its rotary lol
March 4, 2010 @ 08:16 PM
Ihome

kinda in the same position as you..FDs are so hard to find here though
March 4, 2010 @ 09:16 PM
ahhhrt

So, what are you asking?

If it's your first car, I'd suggest against an FD. What most people don't realize is the maintenance cost behind the cars. They cost what, 50-60k when they first came out? Expect the maintenance of a car that costs that much. You're also looking at repair costs. It's a 15 year old car, things wear out. Unless you have the knowledge or plan on learning alot while working on the car that's one thing to factor into your decision.

Reliability should be fine provided you keep up with maintenance, and don't constantly beat on the car. Fuel mileage is also an issue, as is insurance.

In all honesty, I'd stay away unless you know 100% what you're getting into. Last thing I want to see is another FD wrapped around a poll, or with a blown engine, etc etc etc. That's where the misinformation comes from.
March 5, 2010 @ 01:07 AM
why?wolf

^to above poster are you actually suggesting he buy any car with 13b?Im just curious as to if your actually in the business. No real mechanic would suggest buying a rotary. They blow the fuck up constantly as far as reliability haha that's a good one. Ive personally rebuilt four of my friends 13b's twice so far(to be fair the first was when they bought the cars). I rebuilt a friends rx-8 after only 25,000 thousand miles. There is a reason those motors are used in racing where durability isnt a factor because your going to rebuild anyway.They are not practical for a daily driver period. flame away all you want, as far as credentials I work for a fairly high end company that builds turbos for mostly german cars. pm me and I will tell you which one
March 5, 2010 @ 01:09 AM
why?wolf

I agree with above 100% but I still wouldnt buy one and no real mechanic would suggest buying a rotary. They blow the fuck up constantly as far as reliability haha that's a good one. Ive personally rebuilt four of my friends 13b's twice so far(to be fair the first was when they bought the cars). I rebuilt a friends rx-8 after only 25,000 thousand miles. There is a reason those motors are used in racing where durability isnt a factor because your going to rebuild anyway.They are not practical for a daily driver period.
March 5, 2010 @ 09:27 AM
ahhhrt

Apparently you missed the last paragraph.

If you think rotaries can't be made reliable you're completely wrong. They are very finicky motors, and don't tolerate detonation well.

I do however recall the renesis having problems early on in it's life.
March 5, 2010 @ 07:43 PM
'Ryuji'

FDs can be reliable if your willing to upkeep with maintenance - this applies to all engines - but let me tell you, FDs are money whores and the maintenance required for this car is not your average car where you can just set and forget.

FDs in stock form is as reliable as it gets ! Of course there's a few things that can be done in order to make it more reliable but I don't want to get into that. All talk aside this car is a true beauty and made for performance.
March 6, 2010 @ 01:24 AM
STI Guy

is it hard to find people who know how to work on rotary engines? i know a mazda dealership would but other than that? it's not a popular engine style and even the auto school im attending now does not teach it.
March 6, 2010 @ 05:19 AM
araw at bituin

is it hard to find people who know how to work on rotary engines? i know a mazda dealership would but other than that? it's not a popular engine style and even the auto school im attending now does not teach it.

joining a local mazda forum would be your best bet.

http://instagram.com/qyel

March 6, 2010 @ 09:03 AM
'Ryuji'

It's not that hard to find people who know how to work on rotary engines but there are definitely limited amount of shops. Join the RX7 club, then you can find out the nearest rotary shop near you.

Majority or all of Mazda dealerships don't know shit about rotary and end up fucking up your car - your better off working on it yourself.
March 6, 2010 @ 09:04 AM
'Ryuji'

joining a local mazda forum would be your best bet.

cool
March 6, 2010 @ 09:52 AM
ahhhrt

I'd stay away from dealerships unless they're well known for knowing how to work with rotaries.

As for the stock FD being reliable, yes and no.
AST
Oil Pan gasket

Couple of things that come to mind that NEED to be changed when you get the car.
March 6, 2010 @ 10:21 AM
'Ryuji'

I'd stay away from dealerships unless they're well known for knowing how to work with rotaries.

As for the stock FD being reliable, yes and no.
AST
Oil Pan gasket

Couple of things that come to mind that NEED to be changed when you get the car.

That's true, add any performance parts then your reducing the life of your engine. The stock internals were only suppose to handle the parts that were in the car. The only things you can do in order to make it a little bit more reliable is replacing that plastic piece of shit AST with an aluminum one, Aluminum Radiator, 3' Downpipe - other than that - the rest leave the fuck alone.
March 7, 2010 @ 07:03 PM
why?wolf

FDs can be reliable if your willing to upkeep with maintenance - this applies to all engines - but let me tell you, FDs are money whores and the maintenance required for this car is not your average car where you can just set and forget.

FDs in stock form is as reliable as it gets ! Of course there's a few things that can be done in order to make it more reliable but I don't want to get into that. All talk aside this car is a true beauty and made for performance.

You dont know what you're talking about at all, They are not reliable at all. And no amount of regular maintenance will make them reliable. The engine itself has flaws that have never been figured out. Do you know how to read ive rebuilt a bunch of these things I know what the fuck im talking about. You should leave the car thread, as reliable as it gets? yea fucking right. My friends had built internals and still blew the fuck up. There is a reason he got rid of that car and went german. Im not taking anymore bullshit from people who have never worked on these engines. Ive been working in a shop since I was fifteen. I used to work at a very high end performance shop where I probably fabricated over a 100 turbo kits. I now work at a german speciality shop. I know my shit my friends dad take's his B7 to me instead of the dealership.(its still under warranty by the way)
March 7, 2010 @ 07:23 PM
STI Guy

hey whywolf did you just learn on the way or did you get training for the work you did?
March 7, 2010 @ 07:43 PM
why?wolf

Ive been around cars since I was very young my grandfather taught me a lot he had a 57 chevy that I helped him restore. He taught me how to weld when I was 12. I started working under the table at a friend of his shop when I was 15. They taught me pretty much everything there I went to technical school so I could be taken seriously but it was just a waste I passed all the ASE test's easily. I stayed at the local shop for a while and then started building turbo kits for friends and doing custom exhausts. I walked into a certain high end performance shop one day, applied and got the job due to my grandfather's good words and the turbo that was on my car. I left that shop due to certain shady business practices, I am an honest mechanic I don't rip people off. They were putting turbos that had been used extensively in their track cars and selling them brand new. I learned a lot there though and appreciate the experience and the fact that I could drive a 600 hp Porsche 911 on the regular.
March 7, 2010 @ 07:59 PM
STI Guy

it's true that if you pass the ase's you'll still need five years of experience to get the badges right?
March 7, 2010 @ 08:11 PM
why?wolf

Its two years of related experience, You do have to retest every five years but I haven't had mine that long yet.
March 7, 2010 @ 09:55 PM
'Ryuji'

You dont know what you're talking about at all, They are not reliable at all. And no amount of regular maintenance will make them reliable. The engine itself has flaws that have never been figured out. Do you know how to read ive rebuilt a bunch of these things I know what the fuck im talking about. You should leave the car thread, as reliable as it gets? yea fucking right. My friends had built internals and still blew the fuck up. There is a reason he got rid of that car and went german. Im not taking anymore bullshit from people who have never worked on these engines. Ive been working in a shop since I was fifteen. I used to work at a very high end performance shop where I probably fabricated over a 100 turbo kits. I now work at a german speciality shop. I know my shit my friends dad take's his B7 to me instead of the dealership.(its still under warranty by the way)

I don't think you get what I'm saying, I said FDs can be reliable which means that I'm implying that it is not reliable but can, maintenance helps it(obviously) - and it's shown that a lot of FD owners who do regular maintenance has significantly increased the lifespan of their engine.

You say that the engine itself has flaws that have never been figured out, tell me something I
don't know. The engine is still in development, that's why it's impractical.

And for your information, the FD in stock form is as reliable as it gets, add anything to it and your reducing it's life. You just proved my point in saying, "My friend had built internals and still blew the fuck up".

All you have been babbling about is how you fucking rebuild your friends engines,turbos and all your accomplishments with cars, you must be the fucking man, aren't you ? LOL, do you have any credentials to prove that ? Until I see proof, your insight will be classified as bullshit.
March 8, 2010 @ 11:36 AM
ahhhrt

"Built Internals".
Huh?
March 8, 2010 @ 02:38 PM
'Ryuji'

"Built Internals".
Huh?

I know lol, perhaps he was referring to ceramic rotors, 3 mm apex seals, porting, etc. ?
March 8, 2010 @ 02:39 PM
why?wolf

I dont see any of your work around so technically your knowledge is bullshit also. as far as built internals you want a rundown of whats in my e30? Fuck japanese cars, have fun spending money on cars that arent made right to begin with. There is a reason my e30's interior/exterior held up all these years. and yes I did mean new apex seals, machined rotors and seasoned rotor housing, Im sorry im not up with the proper lingo for an engine you just said yourself is impractical. I just won this with that statement alone so shut the fuck up and sit the fuck down.

If I posted more of my work it would give away the shop I used to work at which I just badmouthed. I still get parts from there not trying to fuck it up. This is over now, take your goook loving ass somewhere else. If you want pm me and I will send you tagged pictures of my ase certificates bitch.
March 8, 2010 @ 03:06 PM
why?wolf

I don't think you get what I'm saying, I said FDs can be reliable which means that I'm implying that it is not reliable but can, maintenance helps it(obviously) - and it's shown that a lot of FD owners who do regular maintenance has significantly increased the lifespan of their engine.

You say that the engine itself has flaws that have never been figured out, tell me something I
don't know. The engine is still in development, that's why it's impractical.

And for your information, the FD in stock form is as reliable as it gets, add anything to it and your reducing it's life. You just proved my point in saying, "My friend had built internals and still blew the fuck up".

All you have been babbling about is how you fucking rebuild your friends engines,turbos and all your accomplishments with cars, you must be the fucking man, aren't you ? LOL, do you have any credentials to prove that ? Until I see proof, your insight will be classified as bullshit.

ah theres was no need for all my other posts after you said, "thats why its impractical". I dont have to prove shit you just did thanks man, fucking mental midget.
March 8, 2010 @ 03:31 PM
tre

Funniest shit about the FD. Its a Map sensor only rotary. So lets say you put exhaust on it without reprogramming the ecu. You're engine can go BOOM lol.

They're only fininky because Mazda was too stupid to put a MAF on the car aswell. It can only read manifold pressure and not the flow of air so it makes it really hard to judge for how much fuel to add.

Because we all know bigger turbos flow more air at the same PSI than a smaller turbo...
March 8, 2010 @ 09:46 PM
ahhhrt

I know lol, perhaps he was referring to ceramic rotors, 3 mm apex seals, porting, etc. ?

Perhaps he meant different seals, ceramic coating, porting, and all the other b.s. But no-one I know refers to it as "built internals".

Funniest shit about the FD. Its a Map sensor only rotary. So lets say you put exhaust on it without reprogramming the ecu. You're engine can go BOOM lol.

They're only fininky because Mazda was too stupid to put a MAF on the car aswell. It can only read manifold pressure and not the flow of air so it makes it really hard to judge for how much fuel to add.

Because we all know bigger turbos flow more air at the same PSI than a smaller turbo...

There's the rule of 3 with the FD. Change 3 things before you need to do something with the ECU. People seem to forget that these were expensive cars, and as such demand expensive mods. I'm pretty sure the Mazda engineers knew what they were doing. Just sayin'.
March 9, 2010 @ 09:37 PM
soap

13B!
March 9, 2010 @ 11:15 PM
'Ryuji'

13B!

LOL, is that glitter coating ?
March 11, 2010 @ 11:26 AM
'Ryuji'

ah theres was no need for all my other posts after you said, "thats why its impractical". I dont have to prove shit you just did thanks man, fucking mental midget.

Rotary are impractical, and if you'd think that they are practical, then you don't know shit.

Your a waste of time, you don't know shit, and you know it. Your a fucking scam. And fucking mental midget ? uh no, never again man, that's lame.
March 11, 2010 @ 11:46 PM
wxyz

lol i love "car" people.

to the OP, fucking get one, might as well. if your looking at 15 year old cars, anything will take a shit on you.
so you might as well get something sick that will look good in the garage always broken down.

ps easy horsepower gain is to take all the emissions shit out! lol

Please login first to reply.