Enjoy an Additional 10% Off on All Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA10
October 16, 2009 @ 01:30 PM
rillagorilla

Planning to buy my first car and looking for some used ones. I am very uninformed when it comes to cars like i dont know anything. Is it advisable to look in craigslist or just go to a dealer? And also what to look for when buying a used car?
October 16, 2009 @ 02:33 PM
typo

you can find much better deals buying from a private seller, usually.

number one thing, any car you consider buying. take it to a good mechanic to look the car over for any problems.

consumer reports car buying kit is a good investment also.
October 16, 2009 @ 05:22 PM
mike.nite

Try also ebay.com and autotrader.com - to get a idea of the prices.

M
October 16, 2009 @ 05:53 PM
northwest

you can find much better deals buying from a private seller, usually.

number one thing, any car you consider buying. take it to a good mechanic to look the car over for any problems.

consumer reports car buying kit is a good investment also.

the private seller thing isn't completely true. private sellers dont have to promise any warranty at all, while if dealerships sell you a later to be POS, can.

just avoid any cars with a ton of miles, different sized tires, ones that are riced out (watch out for tuners especially, many of them are on their last leg and tahts why thye are beings sold)
October 16, 2009 @ 10:06 PM
unknown force.

Try also ebay.com and autotrader.com - to get a idea of the prices.

M

please don't do ebay unless the car is within visiting distance. i do a lot of dealing on craigslist, there are scammers so you gotta watch out.

when you first go to check out a car have it sit idling for like 2-5 minutes and just watch everything run in the engine compartment, check and make sure no CEL lights come on, check out the tires if low tread life knock off some from the price, see if its been repainted sometime if its an older car, then give it a test drive check all the electricals like horn/wiper/stereo/blinkers. then once the test drive is done let it idle again and watch it, make sure no coolant leaks or anything or any different sounding noises from when it was first idling. and make sure it brakes in a straight line. all i can think of off the top of my head |0
October 21, 2009 @ 05:09 PM
chiew-y

there should be local car forums online depending on which car you want to buy
they have classifieds and i think they're more reliable than other online listings
October 21, 2009 @ 05:36 PM
typo

the private seller thing isn't completely true. private sellers dont have to promise any warranty at all, while if dealerships sell you a later to be POS, can.

most states have lemon laws which apply to private sales as well.

Please login first to reply.