Labor Day - Enjoy 25% Off Your Order. Use code: LABORDAY25
October 14, 2013 @ 05:34 AM
RiFF RaFF

What's up guys,

I am planning to do a year at Macquarie university in Sydney. Curious to hear about the university life and how Sydney is as a city.

Thanks

Be about it

October 14, 2013 @ 07:54 AM
verdu.go

I've lived in Melbourne all my life and gotta few friends who live in Sydney,
Only advice I can give you is, you gotta have A LOT of money to live, very very expensive city.
October 17, 2013 @ 03:10 AM
Rhapsody

I graduated from Macquarie just recently. I grew up n lived near the campus and it was my first preference as I particularly didn't want to Travel 2hrs a day to one of the city campuses. Unlike those universities, Macquarie doesn't have much happening around it so you will probably find yourself traveling to more happening areas in Sydney. Plenty of public transport from the campus, it has its own train station, well kinda, and all the international students I met didn't have anything negative to say. I think you will enjoy the experience as the university has a lot to offer.

Anyways you are welcome to msg me if u need any info or help, happy to help.
October 17, 2013 @ 11:14 PM
Rgamfn

Macq has a great campus community-like feel I often find.. I study at uws but I'm looking for a transfer to macq next sem 
 tl;dr but hit me up if you decide to go there 
October 18, 2013 @ 05:43 AM
stormpal

night life? two clubs: ivy(pacha) or marquee 
December 23, 2013 @ 09:58 PM
Chronic333

I think anything outside Sydney CBD is like a ghost town after 10pm..

I went to UTS and loved every minute of it. Short walk from Central station, close to chinatown i.e. good/cheap food, close to town hall i.e. great shopping. You feel sorry for the UNSW guys who have to line up to catch a bus to their campus lol

UTS is more for the city folk, Australia isn't like US where they have fraternities and we're not really in to the "college" sports so if you're looking for something like that good luck.. don't know any uni in Sydney that is that involved.

And yes it is expensive... put things in to perspective a Large Big Mac meal is $10.... a city return ticket (20 minutes away from Sydney CBD) is ~$8.80; you can only use it twice, weekly ticket is $34 lol and these prices continue to rise every financial year.. also service doesnt get any better.. you'll be on a steam train..

Nightlife; if you're comparing to US, not great.. traveled all around the world and Australia is still maturing the city dies at about 2am - 3am.. you can;t really go anywhere.. also places like Ivy and Marquee lol its $10 beer night all night! overpriced to the max with pretentious business "boys".. not bagging out sydnye but got a long way to go..

All in all its a good place to retire lol
May 13, 2014 @ 06:15 AM
danielsydney1

Sydney is very congested and totally over crowded.

Please login first to reply.