Get an Extra 20% Off Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA20
January 21, 2008 @ 05:47 PM
Replicant

i need store info on osaka as well! thanks =]

Kinda depends what you're after.

If you're looking for international brands Tokyo wins by a long shot.

What Osaka offers is a lot more "street" Japanese style fashion. And you'll find street in Japan is very diverse. From the gyaru style, to the hip-hop varsities and new eras.

In terms of electronics and gadgets, Tokyo has Akihabara - absolutely massive and crawling with annoying otaku alike.
Osaka has Denden town - which to be perfectly honest is better in every way. Prices are a lot cheaper and you can find a lot more things - whereas Akihabara tended to be loaded with anime/videogame paraphenilia and ......hentai...

Hope this helped.

January 22, 2008 @ 12:44 AM

Inactive

thanks for the info~ well im just basically lookin for japan exclusive lines such as the paul smith jp line.. burberry black labels.. beams and SNEAKERS.. lol
January 22, 2008 @ 03:42 PM
calintz

agreed on DenDen town being better the Akiba

Akiba has become way to touristy and over-priced

Be careful tho - you may need to know some Japanese in Den Den town, as it isn't as English friendly...
January 22, 2008 @ 03:46 PM
dare2dream

Is Den Den Town in Osaka or Tokyo?? Cheers Calintzsmile
January 22, 2008 @ 05:20 PM
calintz

Osaka, just off Nihonbashi station...
January 22, 2008 @ 05:23 PM
dare2dream

Whats the best area for shopping in Osaka, need to book a Hotel for a few nights?? Thanks Calintz
January 22, 2008 @ 05:38 PM
calintz

Osaka has Nanba for fashion, Den Den town for gadgetry

...but the best thing is just getting a day ticket on the trains/buses, and just finding the stores on other stations. I can't really say much, as I only shop in those two areas... Nanba is definitely big enough for a few nights shopping...
January 22, 2008 @ 05:47 PM
Replicant

agreed on DenDen town being better the Akiba

Akiba has become way to touristy and over-priced

Be careful tho - you may need to know some Japanese in Den Den town, as it isn't as English friendly...

Yeah Osakans are a peculiar people. Granted they're very friendly if you can get past the crazy Osaka-ben, but it seems to me that they're kinda lazy. Most stores only open at around 11 in the morning >.>;;;

And yeah, travel around Osaka is very easy.
Not sure if they still have it, but when I was there I bought a "No mai kaa dei" pass (lit: No my car day).
Unlimited use of public transport network for a day for about $5?
Pretty damn sweet.

January 22, 2008 @ 05:57 PM
dare2dream

Thanks Boyz, Look forward to checking it out in a few weeks. Cant wait to get back to Harajuku,Shibuyu and Shinjuku!!! Crazy Crazy Placesmile
January 22, 2008 @ 06:13 PM
Replicant

thanks for the info~ well im just basically lookin for japan exclusive lines such as the paul smith jp line.. burberry black labels.. beams and SNEAKERS.. lol

Sorry overlooked this post.

You'd probably enjoy Harajuku the most then.
First time I went there I really had no idea where I was going, and stumbled upon a store with custom AF1s (they looked sick!!!), pretty pricy though. IIRC it was called "underground".
There were custom everything everywhere actually. I spotted a pair of vans slip ons with a tiny winnie the pooh pattern - damn those would've been sick.
There's also a fair amount of burberry in Harajuku too surprisingly - keep in mind though it is second hand. Don't let that phase you though, the Japanese take good care of their clothes. You won't be picking anything up smelling like mothballs or looking like granny sweaters. Second hand in Japan is good quality.

January 23, 2008 @ 09:35 AM

Inactive

yeah ive been there wen i went to tokyo.. just that my sister wanna try other places out instead of tokyo.. and thanks for your feedback =]
January 24, 2008 @ 01:05 PM
inv3ctiv3

I can not get into this argument because I have never been to Osaka but I can give you my insight on Tokyo as Shinjuku/Tokyo is like my second home. I love Tokyo, there is so much life and excitment it's amazing. I have been wanting to go to Osaka for years and plan on making a trip there the next time I am in Japan which will hopefully be within the next few months. Osaka looks amazing as well, lots of food and drinking to be eaten/drank there!

If you kinda want to get a feel for Tokyo check out my blog:

japanland2007.blogspot.com/
January 24, 2008 @ 05:50 PM
Replicant

yeah ive been there wen i went to tokyo.. just that my sister wanna try other places out instead of tokyo.. and thanks for your feedback =]

Damn dude nice blog.

I'm loving your photos, after seeing them I'm checking out prices for a flight to Japan right now. Really wish I was back there and not clocking the grind in Sydney.

Question:

What camera are you using? Those are insane photos. Especially the fish bowl ones.

January 24, 2008 @ 05:57 PM
calintz

yeah, those photos really make me want to do the whole one year studying in japan thing again...
January 25, 2008 @ 01:33 AM
inv3ctiv3

Wait are you guys asking me or ilovess?
January 25, 2008 @ 05:33 AM

Inactive

the blog isntt minee!! they're inv3ctive3s!!!

and props for the quality pictures. also info on the cam u using pls! =]
January 25, 2008 @ 11:34 AM
inv3ctiv3

Thanks for the comments guys, I was using a Canon 30D and a Canon Elan 7 35mm camera for the fisheye pics. I you want to see more pics from different trips to Japan check out my gallery here:

www.flickr.com/photos/39659820@N00/sets/

There are pics from the BAPE stores, BBC, and other streetwear brands.
January 25, 2008 @ 03:15 PM
vinhhhh

How hard is it to go there when you don't know a word of japanese?
January 25, 2008 @ 03:17 PM
inv3ctiv3

How hard is it to go there when you don't know a word of japanese?

In Tokyo it isn't very hard. The first time I went to Japan a few years ago I didn't really know any Japanese besides little pleasentries like hello, sorry and excuse me. Granted now I know a great deal more Japanese but am not anywhere close to being fluent.
January 26, 2008 @ 04:37 PM
calintz

being fluent isn't necessary - but they do enjoy you sharing languages (you teaching them some english, them teaching you some jap)

but... if you really want the bext types of food, then you got to know a fair bit of japanese, as the small ramen/udon "family-run" stores are probably the best ones there... and they don't speak english, and the menus aren't in english too...
February 6, 2008 @ 10:31 AM

Inactive

any recommendations for osaka? shopping wise? leaving in a few hrs ^^
February 6, 2008 @ 03:52 PM
calintz

Nanba: clothes
Den Den Town: electronics
February 6, 2008 @ 05:36 PM

Inactive

cool~ thanks man. i saw one of pointer footwear retailers is @ nanba.. gunna cop a few pairs
February 19, 2008 @ 02:42 AM
tofuguy

I was wondering if anyone knew what sort of stores I can find in Nanba. I'll be going there in march. just a general idea would be great. is it anything remotely like harajuku?
February 29, 2008 @ 01:44 AM
Savvy

hey guys..im going to tokyo in may and would appreciate if anyone could recommend any hotels that are close to or easily accessible to some shopping districts..thanks in advance
February 29, 2008 @ 02:11 AM
waffle

what's your budget? i've only stayed at the ANA Intercontinental in Roppongi, definitely not a bad place but imho not worth $350/night. Good location though, like 15 mins with the metro from most districts. What kind of shopping do you want? High-end japbrands and avantgarde-brands (Like Raf, KVA, N(N), Yohji, UC etc) can be found in Shibuya, Shinjuku and Harajuku afaik (didn't see any of them in Ginza). International luxurybrands like Dior, LV, Gucci etc. can be found anywhere, but their largest flagships are located in Ginza afaik? Or maybe Harajuku (Omotesando)
February 29, 2008 @ 03:20 PM
Savvy

thanks for the info..i really dont really have a budget..looking to spend about $7000 on the trip..flight+hotel+food+shopping. I plan on staying for a week.
Im mostly looking for some nice denim (like 2nd and Bears shops), raf, kva, type deals. I appreciate the info it will help a great deal to have some prior knowledge before arriving.
March 2, 2008 @ 05:21 PM
dare2dream

Heys Guys, In Namba right now for 2 days beforew heading to Tokyo, any recommendations for shops.I am staying at Cross Hotel right near Namba station. Thanks. Looking for kicks and some of the rare gear like Original Fake,Supreme, Bape, and some of the other labels we dont see much of in OZ.
Thanks
March 3, 2008 @ 12:55 PM
inv3ctiv3

what's your budget? i've only stayed at the ANA Intercontinental in Roppongi, definitely not a bad place but imho not worth $350/night. Good location though, like 15 mins with the metro from most districts. What kind of shopping do you want? High-end japbrands and avantgarde-brands (Like Raf, KVA, N(N), Yohji, UC etc) can be found in Shibuya, Shinjuku and Harajuku afaik (didn't see any of them in Ginza). International luxurybrands like Dior, LV, Gucci etc. can be found anywhere, but their largest flagships are located in Ginza afaik? Or maybe Harajuku (Omotesando)

Eh I did not like the ANA, I thought the location was terrible. There really isn't much around you that is within walking distance and you have to use the Metro instead of the JR lines. I much prefer to stay in Shinjuku at the Hilton or Hyatt.

Check out my blog from one of the last times I was there:

japanland2007.blogspot.com/

Or this one, from when I was staying at the ANA, lots of stuff on BAPE and all that good shit.

www.hypebeast.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59769
March 3, 2008 @ 05:17 PM
calintz

Savvy, make sure you check out Omotesando Hills - this place is the new Ginza, and its only acouple of blocks up from Harajuku

i bet you'll find some high class shit there, street or not...

just go up the main street, but look into the side streets too, as that's were you'll find the street shit
the Bape store isn't on the main street either, but it should be easy to find...

Please login first to reply.